Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Team Trump v/s Everyone

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:12 am
kalm wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:46 am

So you disagree with the 14th Amendment and due process?
Damn Trump must be pretty old to have been a confederate fighting for the South in the War Between the States.
Why drag the civil war into this? It’s not mentioned in the constitution. Aren’t you an originalist?

Section 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Damn Trump must be pretty old to have been a confederate fighting for the South in the War Between the States.
I'm confused. When do we read amendments as written and when do we factor in why and when they were written?

If we shouldn't read the 14th amendment as written because it was written in response to the Civil War, shouldn't we apply the same logic to the 2nd amendment which was written during a different time and times have changed?

Maybe I'm not confused. Maybe you're just wishy washy and applying different logic to different amendments based on your own partisan bias.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA yahoos - putting the Q into qrazy qanon conspiracy theories since 2015.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:21 am
Why drag the civil war into this? It’s not mentioned in the constitution. Aren’t you an originalist?

Section 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.
Lol Trump didn’t engage in InSurReCtiOn or rebellion..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Why drag the civil war into this? It’s not mentioned in the constitution.
“Blame us not too severely, you who fought on the Union side; we, too, loved the Union our great and good Washington bequeathed us: with what deep devotion God knoweth. But, as Satan sagely remarks in the Book of Job, “all that a man hath will he give for his life.” Also a writer of profane history has truly said that “a man's family is the nearest piece of his country, and the dearest one.” Need there be any wonder that, when a political party, with no love in its heart for the Southern white people, came into power, a party which we believed felt that the people of the South were fit only for the pikes hidden at Harper's Ferry”
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:09 am

Lol Trump didn’t engage in InSurReCtiOn or rebellion..
If he's reelected and pardons a January 6 felon convicted of seditious conspiracy, he will have "given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof". :coffee:

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:45 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:28 am

The irony is that the decision by the Colorado Supreme Court flies in the face of actual due process. There was no due process here - folks used a rather limited Colorado electoral code law and stretched it to get their desired outcome. And even further ironic, they had a state use the 14th amendment to assume a power that had never been ceded by the federal government. Considering the 14th amendment has historically been seen as the amendment that further asserted federal power over the states, having a state turn that on its head is almost the definition of irony.

At this point, it's not a question of if the SCOTUS will overturn this, they most assuredly will. The question is whether they do it with a unanimous court or if there is any judge who'll dissent. Heck, the Colorado court was entirely democrats and they split 4-3 on this. Getting Trump off the ballot would be a fantastic outcome for America (heck, you could argue that once Trump is off the ballot, the Dems would enact plan B and replace Biden with an actual, lucid candidate), but we can't just wish him off the ballot with such a mediocre attempt at a judicial path to do so.
The 3 dissenting opinions were procedural regarding Colorado Law. SCOTUS won’t consider them. In essence it was a 7-0 decision.

Due process protects the rights of the accused as well as the state.

If Trump wants his insurrection innocence proven in a court of law he shouldn’t be continuously delaying all cases. The fact he’s arguing for immunity is hilarious.
The three dissenting opinions were not exclusively procedural and relative to the Colorado law in question. At least two of them (and maybe all three, I read them fairly quickly and I'm getting older so memory retention isn't great - and heck, I'm decades younger than Biden and Trump still!) talked about the primacy of the federal government as it relates to the 14th amendment and how Congress hasn't done anything to define insurrection other than what exists in that one spot in the federal code. It's pretty clear that Congress, through the 14th amendment, didn't want 50 states all defining insurrection however they choose. And in at least two of the dissenting opinions they made the case that the constitutional and federal law history has also defined "enemies" as something more formal, like a foreign power or like the Confederacy. The existence of a mob doesn't meet that definition either.

This one has been a reach all along. Again, just because we all want Trump to not be President doesn't then automatically make weak Constitutional law cases suddenly more substantial. The last thing we want, in our pursuit of trying to make sure Trump is never President again, is the diminishing and bastardizing of our legal and Constitutional system. We're all afraid of Trump and a second Presidency of his, but if we dismantle our republic in an attempt to stop him from being President and doing the same dismantling, have we really accomplished anything?

Oh, and seriously, now you're advocating that people need to prove their innocence in court or by default be considered guilty? Did you write that yourself or do you have a ghost writer filling in for you?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:12 am

Why drag the civil war into this? It’s not mentioned in the constitution.
“Blame us not too severely, you who fought on the Union side; we, too, loved the Union our great and good Washington bequeathed us: with what deep devotion God knoweth. But, as Satan sagely remarks in the Book of Job, “all that a man hath will he give for his life.” Also a writer of profane history has truly said that “a man's family is the nearest piece of his country, and the dearest one.” Need there be any wonder that, when a political party, with no love in its heart for the Southern white people, came into power, a party which we believed felt that the people of the South were fit only for the pikes hidden at Harper's Ferry”
What garbage does that come from? That's Lost Cause stuff right there. The Republican Party in 1860 wasn't hateful of the South and certainly didn't advocate putting people on pikes. But that's what revisionist history is good at, altering reality.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

The irony is that the decision by the Colorado Supreme Court flies in the face of actual due process. There was no due process here - folks used a rather limited Colorado electoral code law and stretched it to get their desired outcome. And even further ironic, they had a state use the 14th amendment to assume a power that had never been ceded by the federal government. Considering the 14th amendment has historically been seen as the amendment that further asserted federal power over the states, having a state turn that on its head is almost the definition of irony.

At this point, it's not a question of if the SCOTUS will overturn this, they most assuredly will. The question is whether they do it with a unanimous court or if there is any judge who'll dissent. Heck, the Colorado court was entirely democrats and they split 4-3 on this. Getting Trump off the ballot would be a fantastic outcome for America (heck, you could argue that once Trump is off the ballot, the Dems would enact plan B and replace Biden with an actual, lucid candidate), but we can't just wish him off the ballot with such a mediocre attempt at a judicial path to do so.
Thank you for actually diving into what is going on here. There is a lot of "stretching the law" going on right now in regards to Trump. While one doesn't have to like him, manipulating the law to get your desired outcome is horseshit.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:22 pm

Thank you for actually diving into what is going on here. There is a lot of "stretching the law" going on right now in regards to Trump. While one doesn't have to like him, manipulating the law to get your desired outcome is horseshit.
It’s not as much of a - stretching the law to fit politics - slam dunk as you guys think.

Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:28 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:12 am

What garbage does that come from? That's Lost Cause stuff right there. The Republican Party in 1860 wasn't hateful of the South and certainly didn't advocate putting people on pikes. But that's what revisionist history is good at, altering reality.
That was written right after the war

Nobody is writing that today
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFn wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:28 am

Other examples of attempting to manipulate the law to get your desired outcome:
- Asking the VP to not certify the election results
- Having slates of fraudulent electors
- Claiming that Presidential immunity applies to actions not related to official duties

I don't see you getting your undies in a bunch over those ... :coffee:

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:08 pm

- Claiming that Presidential immunity applies to actions not related to official duties

Holy shit. Get therapy for your TDS. Really. You can't go one second without bringing Trump up in some sort of "but Trump" fashion.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:18 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:08 pm

Holy shit. Get therapy for your tDS. Really. You can't go one second without bringing trump up in some sort of "but trump" fashion.
This is the team trump v/s Everyone thread so my comments are more than appropriate.

tDS and "but trump" are common responses when MAGAt yahoos have nothing.

You're attacking me because you're butthurt that I pointed out the hypocrisy of a trump worshipper complaining about stretching the law.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:45 pm

It’s not as much of a - stretching the law to fit politics - slam dunk as you guys think.

Luttig has been on this crusade since 1/7, but that doesn't make him right. He thinks it's a slam dunk the other way, that Trump is automatically barred from running, and anyone can make that determination. But he addresses absolutely zero of the concerns and points brought up by the dissenters in what was, once again, a very split decision by an all-democrat Colorado court. And again, there's a lot of meat in those dissents that goes far further than just the procedural issue you seem to mention. Luttig is a cheerleader at this point, not a serious Constitutional scholar. He may have been once, but he left that track almost two decades ago.

He even says the biggest thing is to get Trump disqualified, no matter what. I agree, I don't want him running for President either, but we can't just make it up, it needs to be grounded in something real. This case hasn't done that and will be overturned.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:28 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:18 pm

Holy shit. Get therapy for your tDS. Really. You can't go one second without bringing trump up in some sort of "but trump" fashion.
This is the team trump v/s Everyone thread so my comments are more than appropriate.

You're attacking me because you're butthurt that I pointed out the hypocrisy of a trump worshipper complaining about stretching the law.
GF is hardly a Trump supporter and sees the bullshit. You've got issues. Go get checked.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Start taking Biden off the ballot in red states for violating the constitution by fomenting an insurrection.. :nod:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:53 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:28 pm

GF is hardly a Trump supporter and sees the bullshit. You've got issues. Go get checked.
I actually agree that with GF that this is a stretch. I also like to point out the hypocrisy of someone who worships trump criticizing others for attempting to manipulate the law to get their desired outcome. The two positions are not in conflict.

Show me where I disagreed with GF on this one and I'll go get checked. :coffee:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:26 pm Start taking Biden off the ballot in red states for violating the constitution by fomenting an insurrection.. :nod:
Let's take biden off the ballot in the border states (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California and Florida) and trump off the ballot in all the states governed where 14th Amendment claims are brought. Deal?

biden will step down at the Democratic Convention but trump's ego will prevent him from stepping down. The new Democratic nominee will be on the ballot in all 50 states and the Republican nominee won't.

Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:23 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:26 pm Start taking Biden off the ballot in red states for violating the constitution by fomenting an insurrection.. :nod:
Let's take biden off the ballot in the border states (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California and Florida) and trump off the ballot in all the states governed where 14th Amendment claims are brought. Deal?

biden will step down at the Democratic Convention but trump's ego will prevent him from stepping down. The new Democratic nominee will be on the ballot in all 50 states and the Republican nominee won't.
Why not just tell them both to hang it up and go fishing
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:45 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:23 pm

Why not just tell them both to hang it up and go fishing
Works for me but will either listen? Will either comprehend what we're asking?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:19 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:53 pm

I actually agree that with GF that this is a stretch. I also like to point out the hypocrisy of someone who worships trump criticizing others for attempting to manipulate the law to get their desired outcome. The two positions are not in conflict.

How about you stop wasting everyone's time with your trite bullshit. Piss off, you're a troll and don't add shit to the conversation.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:51 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:19 pm

How about you stop wasting everyone's time with your trite bullshit. Piss off, you're a troll and don't add shit to the conversation.

Am I as big of a troll as you are on the Ukraine thread?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:57 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:51 pm

You haven't struck a nerve at all, just proven you're a hateful troll.

Whenever asked to go beyond your initial analysis, you balk. Comedically in most instances.

Start backing up your trite bullshit, we can then have a talk, but until then, shove your crap up yer butt StUni.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:08 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:57 pm

Whenever asked to go beyond your initial analysis, you balk. Comedically in most instances.

Start backing up your trite bullshit, we can then have a talk, but until then, shove your crap up yer butt StUni.
You're projecting.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:52 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:08 pm

You're projecting.
Less lip flapping and more backing your shit up champ

Your kung fu is weak as hell.