Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: 2023 SCOTUS Rulings

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:42 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:35 am

Whatever you're getting at...no!
Explain to me how giving a conservative white senator the ability to enter a blue slip without giving a reason for a judicial nominee in a majority black district with no input from that district's representative(s) isn't the conservative version of woke (i.e. forcing your beliefs on others who disagree with them).
I don't have to. Just the fact you are for it, means I'm against it. :lol:

I took the day off. Can you tell?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:20 am
Supreme Court denies petition from Florida city to toss atheists' First Amendment suit over prayer vigil
Several atheists say they were offended by a prayer vigil held by the City of Ocala, Florida, in 2014 after a mass shooting that injured several children

.....The City of Ocala had asked the Supreme Court to clarify whether "psychic or emotional offense allegedly caused by observation of religious messages" was sufficient to grant the atheists standing to sue, arguing it is not. The Supreme Court denied the city's petition, handing the atheists a temporary win. However, Justice Neil Gorsuch explained in a statement that the lower courts now reviewing the case should ultimately side with Ocala.

The case concerns two individuals, Lucinda Hale and Art Rojas, who are members of the American Humanist Association. Hale and Rojas have accused Ocala of violating the establishment clause of the First Amendment after police organized a prayer vigil with local religious leaders in response to a 2014 shooting in which several children were injured. Court documents said police chaplains were praying and singing on stage while in uniform.

The atheists claimed that the religious elements of the prayer vigil were offensive and made them feel excluded. The district court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit held that the atheists had standing to sue.

Ocala sought to have the Supreme Court review 11th Circuit's 2018 decision granting the atheists standing in light of the court's 2022 opinion in Kennedy v. Bremerton School District, when the Supreme Court said former football coach Joe Kennedy had the right to lead members of his team in voluntary post game prayers.

The Supreme Court rejected the request, but Gorsuch wrote in an accompanying statement that the legal theory the lower courts used to grant the atheists standing — called the "Lemon test" for a 1971 Supreme Court ruling — was now defunct.

In evaluating whether a government action violates the establishment clause, the Lemon test required courts to consider whether the action had a secular purpose, whether the government was entangled with religion and whether the principal or primary effect of the action advanced or inhibited religion.

"As this Court explained in Kennedy, the Lemon test on which the District Court relied is no longer good law," Gorsuch wrote. While he agreed with Ocala's argument that the atheists lacked standing to sue, he said the Supreme Court did not need to intervene in the case because the 11th Circuit had already vacated it to the district court, where judges will be bound by the Kennedy decision.

"Moving forward, I expect lower courts will recognize the offended observer standing has no more foundation in the law than the Lemon test that inspired it. If I am wrong, the city is free to seek relief here after final judgment," Gorsuch wrote.

Justice Clarence Thomas issued a separate dissent arguing that the Supreme Court should have taken up the case. He expressed "serious doubts" to the atheists' theory on standing and said the Supreme Court should have acted without waiting for the lower court process to play out.

"We should reconsider this seeming aberration before it further erodes bedrock Article III restrictions on the judicial power," he wrote.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/suprem ... ayer-vigil
He resigned after one game back. :lol:
The long-awaited return of an assistant football coach in Bremerton who was fired for prayers on the field has come to an abrupt end.

Joe Kennedy, who won an eight-year legal battle against the Bremerton School District last year over his dismissal, has resigned from the coaching staff in an announcement posted on his personal website.
https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... 4fe14d6011
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:22 am
The long-awaited return of an assistant football coach in Bremerton who was fired for prayers on the field has come to an abrupt end.

Joe Kennedy, who won an eight-year legal battle against the Bremerton School District last year over his dismissal, has resigned from the coaching staff in an announcement posted on his personal website.
There is no god!

Right wing grifting pays better. Ask Glenn Greenwald, Jimmy Dore, Matt Taibbi, Dave Ruben, or Russel Brand.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:32 am
Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:22 am

There is no god!

Right wing grifting pays better. Ask Glenn Greenwald, Jimmy Dore, Matt Taibbi, Dave Ruben, or Russel Brand.
Dude was just an assistant football coach, and he's since moved out of state. From the article, this was like an 8 year court case. I'm actually surprised he came back at all - although I guess just to make a point and get to kneel one more time was probably the reason. Not sure why the head coach let him come back for just one game to do that - probably had more important things to go over with the team than just what one assistant coach was doing.

Oh, and gotta love kalm censoring anyone who criticizes the far left or the Democratic party as "right wing" grifters. It is okay to point out the things that Democrats do wrong just as much as it is to point out the things that GOP'ers do wrong. There's a lot there on both sides to make a career on.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:56 am
kalm wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:32 am

There is no god!

Dude was just an assistant football coach, and he's since moved out of state. From the article, this was like an 8 year court case. I'm actually surprised he came back at all - although I guess just to make a point and get to kneel one more time was probably the reason. Not sure why the head coach let him come back for just one game to do that - probably had more important things to go over with the team than just what one assistant coach was doing.

Oh, and gotta love kalm censoring anyone who criticizes the far left or the Democratic party as "right wing" grifters. It is okay to point out the things that Democrats do wrong just as much as it is to point out the things that GOP'ers do wrong. There's a lot there on both sides to make a career on.
All he proclaimed to want was his job back. Regardless, it was a shit ruling.

And behold! The almighty Kalm’s powers of censoring social media influencers and former journalists. :lol:

Of course there’s grift on both sides. Pst…All of those listed are former lefties. Some of them still claim to be. Would you like me to place a both sides do it disclaimer on future posts of this nature?

I ask because I care. :)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:22 am

And behold! The almighty Kalm’s powers of censoring social media influencers and former journalists. :lol:

Of course there’s grift on both sides. Pst…All of those listed are former lefties. Some of them still claim to be. Would you like me to place a both sides do it disclaimer on future posts of this nature?

I think some of those guys consider themselves to truly be post-partisan. As opposed to those on this board that claim that label but then are anything but, I think they actually mean it. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Maybe part of the settlement with the school district required him to return to the job short term. It's been 8 years, why can't you give him the benefit of the doubt that his life circumstances have changed and living and working in Bremerton isn't the best option for him at this time?

Why was it a shit ruling? I'm looking for a legal basis, not some personal feelings.

FYI - some of those guys still are lefties, they're just too rational for today's illiberals who identify as progressives.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA yahoos - putting the Q into qrazy qanon conspiracy theories since 2015.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:38 am

I think some of those guys consider themselves to truly be post-partisan. As opposed to those on this board that claim that label but then are anything but, I think they actually mean it. :coffee:
Disclaimer: both sides do it!

Those guys all play play the partisan game quite well. It’s almost quite literally their schtick.

I rise above such transparent attempts.

:)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:43 am

Maybe part of the settlement with the school district required him to return to the job short term. It's been 8 years, why can't you give him the benefit of the doubt that his life circumstances have changed and living and working in Bremerton isn't the best option for him at this time?

Why was it a shit ruling? I'm looking for a legal basis, not some personal feelings.

FYI - some of those guys still are lefties, they're just too rational for today's illiberals who identify as progressives.
Because he was a schmuck pushing his Christian agenda where it shouldn’t be pushed.

We discussed this years ago. I don’t think anything has changed. It’s hard for some people to accept that we were neither founded as a Christian nation nor are we one today.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:06 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:43 am

Because he was a schmuck pushing his Christian agenda where it shouldn’t be pushed.

We discussed this years ago. I don’t think anything has changed. It’s hard for some people to accept that we were neither founded as a Christian nation nor are we one today.
Nor are we a nation that was founded on the forbidding of public religious expression. I'm pretty sure the case we're talking about had nothing to do with whether we were founded as a Christian nation. That feels strawman-like here. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:21 am

Nor are we a nation that was founded on the forbidding of public religious expression. I'm pretty sure the case we're talking about had nothing to do with whether we were founded as a Christian nation. That feels strawman-like here. :coffee:
Nor were we a place founded on public representatives pushing their religious beliefs on kids on the commons.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:21 am Nor are we a nation that was founded on the forbidding of public religious expression. I'm pretty sure the case we're talking about had nothing to do with whether we were founded as a Christian nation. That feels strawman-like here. :coffee:
Nor were we a place founded on public representatives pushing their religious beliefs on kids on the commons.
How is his praying after a game different than a teacher having a Pride flag in their room? They’re both expressing themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:50 am

Nor were we a place founded on the idea that a public representative had to forsake their religious beliefs when acting in the public arena, nor were we a place founded on the idea that the mere acting out of a religious belief would be viewed as "pushing" their beliefs to anyone in view.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:48 am
kalm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:50 am

Nor were we a place founded on the idea that a public representative had to forsake their religious beliefs when acting in the public arena, nor were we a place founded on the idea that the mere acting out of a religious belief would be viewed as "pushing" their beliefs to anyone in view.
You both ^^ need to review the story as well as the controversy over Christmas displays at the Wa State capital.

Personal expression is protected. Compelling kids to participate is not. Something tells me a Church of Satan offering on the 50 might where most of the team gathered out of a desire to fit in might not go over well.

With Olympia at one time there were around 100 different displays crowding the area. It became unmanageable.

There are limitations to speech.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:09 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:48 am

You both ^^ need to review the story as well as the controversy over Christmas displays at the Wa State capital.

Personal expression is protected. Compelling kids to participate is not. Something tells me a Church of Satan offering on the 50 might where most of the team gathered out of a desire to fit in might not go over well.

With Olympia at one time there were around 100 different displays crowding the area. It became unmanageable.

Why was it unmanageable to have 100 different displays at the Wa State capital? Olympia's a city with plenty of space. I could see why there could be issues with displays at the capitol but not the capital. More importantly, this story and Christmas displays at the capitol are different.

Still haven't explained to me how his praying is different than a teacher with a Pride flag on their wall. Yes kids might feel the need to pray with him to curry favor and fit in. Couldn't that happen with any popular teacher and something that is important to them that others might object to? Should all of these things be banned?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:31 am
kalm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:09 am

Why was it unmanageable to have 100 different displays at the Wa State capital? Olympia's a city with plenty of space. I could see why there could be issues with displays at the capitol but not the capital. More importantly, this story and Christmas displays at the capitol are different.

Still haven't explained to me how his praying is different than a teacher with a Pride flag on their wall. Yes kids might feel the need to pray with him to curry favor and fit in. Couldn't that happen with any popular teacher and something that is important to them that others might object to? Should all of these things be banned?
That’s what the Olympia case was becoming.

I suppose one could object to a biology curriculum in that it promotes animism and pantheism. Which supports your point.

It’s all based on a slippery slope concept. I admit it’s a challenging debate on either side. It also centers definitions of religion, worship as well as tyranny of the majority or minority.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:41 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:31 am

I suppose one could object to a biology curriculum in that it promotes animism and pantheism. Which supports your point.

It’s all based on a slippery slope concept. I admit it’s a challenging debate on either side. It also centers definitions of religion, worship as well as tyranny of the majority or minority.
His praying wasn't part of the curriculum. Were players required to pray? His prayer was an expression of his personal beliefs and players could participate if they chose to just like a Pride flag is an expression of the hypothetical teacher's personal beliefs and students could offer their support if they chose to.

You're arguing that he shouldn't have been allowed to pray isn't that different from a MAGAt yahoo arguing that a teacher shouldn't be allowed to display a Pride flag. Freedom of expression and/or religion shouldn't just apply to things that you agree with or it isn't really freedom.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:50 am
kalm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:41 am

His praying wasn't part of the curriculum. Were players required to pray? His prayer was an expression of his personal beliefs and players could participate if they chose to just like a Pride flag is an expression of the hypothetical teacher's personal beliefs and students could offer their support if they chose to.

You're arguing that he shouldn't have been allowed to pray isn't that different from a MAGAt yahoo arguing that a teacher shouldn't be allowed to display a Pride flag. Freedom of expression and/or religion shouldn't just apply to things that you agree with or it isn't really freedom.
I’m not arguing that HE or any other individual shouldn’t be aloud to pray.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:50 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:50 am

Just when, where, and how he's allowed to pray. A very nuanced version of religious freedom you have. :roll:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:47 am
Just when, where, and how he's allowed to pray. A very nuanced version of religious freedom you have. :roll:
Yep. In MAGAt yahoo land, the hypothetical teacher is free to display a Pride flag in their home.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Anytime.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:58 am

Yep. In MAGAt yahoo land, the hypothetical teacher is free to display a Pride flag in their home.
No I’m sorry. That’s not allowed.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

...thats 88's schtik, don't be cutting in...
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Its the pushing it on a captive audience like your football team that is the problem.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:44 am

...thats 88's schtik, don't be cutting in...
It’s a two QB system.

Like they say…”when you have two QB’s you have no QB’s.”