Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 9-12

Post by JALMOND »

A crazy week in the Big Sky to go along with a crazy week across the college football landscape. The road to the Big Sky conference title may go through Big Sky Country, but there are others that are beating on the door. After some near misses, the conference got their first win of the season over an FBS opponent (thank you Weber State), but Northern Arizona got a good road win and UC Davis gave championship hopeful South Dakota State all they could handle. Here are this week's power rankings for the conference (last week's rankings in parenthesis). All are my opinion only and I am sure it will foster some good discussion.

1. Montana State (1)---Last week, beat Morehead State (Pioneer) at home 63-14, this week Oregon State (FBS Pac-12) in Portland---The Bobcats have come out of the gate with two strong home wins to start the year. This week, they venture into the Pac-12 which has not been kind to other Big Sky schools.

2. Montana (2)---Last week, beat South Dakota (Missouri Valley) at home 24-7, this week at Indiana State (Missouri Valley)---It took over 7 quarters before someone was able to score against the Grizzlies defense and the offense has been rolling. They stay in the Missouri Valley this week, but go on the road.

3. Weber State (5)---Last week, won at Utah State (FBS Mtn West) 35-7, this week Utah Tech (WAC) at home---Stepping up a level in football is no easy chore but the Wildcats made a win look easy. Their strong defense rolling along, they welcome another in-state team to their cozy confines. They will stay within the FCS this time.

4. Sacramento State (3)---Last week, bye, this week at Northern Iowa (Missouri Valley)---A bye this early in the season is a strange quirk in the schedule, but it meant the Hornets had two weeks to prepare for a Missouri Valley heavyweight on the road. The Hornets may also be catching them at a good time, even on the road.

5. UC Davis (4)---Last week, lost at South Dakota State (Missouri Valley) 24-22, this week San Diego (Pioneer) at home---Given up for dead in the 4th quarter, the Aggies came storming back and came within a missed 2-point conversion from tying the game in a tough place for visitors to play. Things may get easier this week.

6. Eastern Washington (6)---Last week, lost at Oregon (FBS Pac-12) 70-14, this week bye---The Eagles came into Oregon hoping to keep it close, but they fell victim to a team that clearly wanted to prove a point. The Eagles now get an extra week to prepare for conference play and to put their non-conference play to rest.

7. Idaho (7)---Last week, lost to Indiana (FBS Big 10) 35-22, this week Drake (Pioneer)---The Vandals weren't supposed to do much in their trip to the Big 10, but they got Indiana's attention with the lead at halftime. Unfortunately, they couldn't hold on. This week, they move into the FCS with a game against the Pioneer.

8. Northern Arizona (9)---Last week, won at Sam Houston (WAC) 10-3, this week North Dakota (Missouri Valley) at home---After their Pac-12 beatdown, the Lumberjacks defense stood up and made people take notice in getting a good road win. They bring in their former conference-mate and return home.

9. Portland State (8)---Last week, lost at Washington (FBS Pac-12) 52-6, this week bye---Fresh from an impressive showing in their first money game against the Mountain West, the Vikings were no match for the Pac-12 in an ugly game. They will now take two weeks to prepare for their conference schedule.

10. Cal Poly (10)---Last week, beat San Diego (Pioneer) at home 28-27, this week at South Dakota (Missouri Valley)---The Mustangs stole a victory in the final moments of the game at home last week, getting good vibes going in their season. They move on the road into Missouri Valley country this week, hoping to continue their good feelings.

11. Northern Colorado (12)---Last week, lost at Wyoming (FBS Mtn West) 33-10, this week at Lamar (Southland)---The Bears moved up a level and went on the road and kept the score relatively close for 3 quarters. However, the game is 4 quarters and they could not sustain it. They hit the road again but return to the FCS this week.

12. Idaho State (11)---Last week, lost at San Diego State (FBS Mtn West) 38-7, this week Central Arkansas (ASUN) at home---Another trip into the Mountain West and pretty much the same result for the Bengals as they did not put up much resistance. They come home and return to the FCS this week.

RECAP: 1-5 contenders, 6-9 need help, 10-12 trying to hold on.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 9-12

Post by SuperHornet »

1. BBQ
2. Montana
3. Sac State
4. MT State
5. EWU
6. UC Davis
7. NAU
8. Idaho
9. PSU
10. Cal Poly
11. ID State
12. N. Colorado

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

MSU gives up more yards rushing, more yards passing to a Pioneer League school than the Griz do to a MVFC school, MSU has 4 turnovers (again, to a Pioneer league school), and gave up 13 (actually, not 14) points and it’s viewed as a “strong home win” which puts them above the Griz?

Sometimes I think you’re just being a contrarian….
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:44 pm MSU gives up more yards rushing, more yards passing to a Pioneer League school than the Griz do to a MVFC school, MSU has 4 turnovers (again, to a Pioneer league school), and gave up 13 (actually, not 14) points and it’s viewed as a “strong home win” which puts them above the Griz?

Honestly Weber is the only team that deserves #1 as they have by far and away the absolute best win by anyone in the conference right now. And they are getting zero respect for it. It's amazing how one "bad" season turns the whole world against you.

But time will tell. I'm just hoping Weber doesnt have a huge letdown against Utah State Dixie Tech.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Wildcat Ryan wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:32 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:44 pm MSU gives up more yards rushing, more yards passing to a Pioneer League school than the Griz do to a MVFC school, MSU has 4 turnovers (again, to a Pioneer league school), and gave up 13 (actually, not 14) points and it’s viewed as a “strong home win” which puts them above the Griz?

Honestly Weber is the only team that deserves #1 as they have by far and away the absolute best win by anyone in the conference right now. And they are getting zero respect for it. It's amazing how one "bad" season turns the whole world against you.

But time will tell. I'm just hoping Weber doesnt have a huge letdown against Utah State Dixie Tech.
Agreed. They should be ahead of MSU as well. :coffee: :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
canyoncat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: MSU

Post by canyoncat »

I would say MSU at #2 may be 3 but no lower. A bunch of those yards were given up when the 3's and 4's were in. One thing about Vigan is he calls the dogs off alot sooner than most coaches.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

Nobody knows who ranks where because Montana and Montana played 4 OOC cupcakes, and Weber State played a D2 school and a cellar dweller USU . Ranking Eastern Washington 6th is downright disrespectful, since when does Sacramento State, Weber State and WINLESS UC Davis rank ahead of EWU? Someone’s smoking diick.
/delete thread
:coffee:
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

BlackFalkin wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:44 am

Nobody knows who ranks where because Montana and Montana played 4 OOC cupcakes, and Weber State played a D2 school and a cellar dweller USU . Ranking Eastern Washington 6th is downright disrespectful, since when does Sacramento State, Weber State and WINLESS UC Davis rank ahead of EWU? Someone’s smoking diick.
/delete thread

It is disrespectful...to the teams below Eastern Washington. Not sure the Eagles deserve to even be 6th. :coffee:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

/delete thread
Let me enlighten you. It is true that conference play hasn't started yet, but it is not that difficult to see where teams are at as of now. Some supporting facts that I have taken into account.

1. With the exception of Wazzu/Idaho, the Pac-12 teams have pretty much been able to do whatever they wanted against the Big Sky, and the Big Sky schools have all been unable to slow the Pac-12 down.

2. The Big Sky has looked better against the Mountain West than they have against the Pac-12. The conference got one win over the Mountain West (Weber's win over Utah State), but they could have easily had another (Portland State/San Jose State) and possibly another (Northern Colorado/Wyoming).

3. Going into the season, many experts picked the Big Sky as one of the toughest (if not the toughest) FCS conferences in the country. Because of this, the top of the Big Sky should be able to blow out FCS opponents at home, not steal a win late in the game.

You are right, though, that conference play will ultimately factor in to who the best teams are. But for now, based on the results so far, I think it is pretty clear, subject to change of course. :D
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

Wildcat Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:01 am

/delete thread

It is disrespectful...to the teams below Eastern Washington. Not sure the Eagles deserve to even be 6th. :coffee:
Congrats on Weber's win over Utah State, I know it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things because Utah State sucks and always will..but yea. Congrats on Weber's win over Division 2 dixie tech or whatever their name is. I tried to watch but it wasn't t e l e v I s e d... BTW Why did Weber State build that champions center, when they don’t have any. championship. trophies. to. show. off? Don’t answer that.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:09 pm

/delete thread
Let me enlighten you. It is true that conference play hasn't started yet, but it is not that difficult to see where teams are at as of now. Some supporting facts that I have taken into account.

1. With the exception of Wazzu/Idaho, the Pac-12 teams have pretty much been able to do whatever they wanted against the Big Sky, and the Big Sky schools have all been unable to slow the Pac-12 down.

2. The Big Sky has looked better against the Mountain West than they have against the Pac-12. The conference got one win over the Mountain West (Weber's win over Utah State), but they could have easily had another (Portland State/San Jose State) and possibly another (Northern Colorado/Wyoming).

3. Going into the season, many experts picked the Big Sky as one of the toughest (if not the toughest) FCS conferences in the country. Because of this, the top of the Big Sky should be able to blow out FCS opponents at home, not steal a win late in the game.

You are right, though, that conference play will ultimately factor in to who the best teams are. But for now, based on the results so far, I think it is pretty clear, subject to change of course. :D
UC DAVIS IS WINLESS... You left that out like the Portland Timbers kicked Portland State out of PGE Park.
:D :coffee:
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

I agree with Weber in first right now. The Montana teams (and Sac) have done what was expected. EWU below expectations so far. UCDavis and NAU better than expected (but not to the level of Weber).
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

BlackFalkin wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:18 pm

Congrats on Weber's win over Utah State, I know it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things because Utah State sucks and always will..but yea. Congrats on Weber's win over Division 2 dixie tech or whatever their name is. I tried to watch but it wasn't t e l e v I s e d... BTW Why did Weber State build that champions center, when they don’t have any. championship. trophies. to. show. off? Don’t answer that.

Plenty of Conference championships to show off. And.....at least we could afford to build one. :lol:

Check mate.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

/delete thread

Agreed. 8th, tops. :coffee:
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

catbooster wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:08 pm

I agree with Weber in first right now. The Montana teams (and Sac) have done what was expected. EWU below expectations so far. UCDavis and NAU better than expected (but not to the level of Weber).
WINLESS UC DAVIS = “better than expected” :dunce:

Y’all gotta stop with the opioids up there in Montana. Seriously. I know there’s nothing to do but have sex with your dads and uncles, and get high off meth (and whatever else you can get your hands on) , but damn! Montana is playing ANOTHER OOC CUPCAKE 🧁 Indiana State THIS WEEK AND UC DAVIS IS WINLESS. NEITHER has proven anything to me. And how the hell did Weber State sneak it’s way into the Montana and MSU circle jerk session? Utah State couldn’t win a Big Sky Conference title if they tried, and neither can Weber State for that matter. You nerds just sit back and play follow the leader, you can’t put a WINLESS team over a team with an FCS win, the conference’s reigning National Champions, and reigning Walter Payton award winner, ya got that nerds? UC Davis is WINLESS and until they win a D1 game they’re worse than a meth-baby, born from incest, with a Griz jersey on.
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3

Post by BlackFalkin »

Wildcat Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:16 pm
BlackFalkin wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:18 pm

Plenty of Conference championships to show off. And.....at least we could afford to build one. :lol:

Check mate.
I’d rather take the BSC trophies, National Championship, and endless Walter Payton & Buck Buchanan awards over that empty, purple shed. How the hell can you have a champion’s center with no National Championship? :lol: That’s like a Benz with no engine, or a shy stripper, peanut butter with no jelly, ham with no burger!
:lol: GTFOH
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

BlackFalkin wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:27 pm
Wildcat Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:16 pm

Check mate.
I’d rather take the BSC trophies, National Championship, and endless Walter Payton & Buck Buchanan awards over that empty, purple shed. How the hell can you have a champion’s center with no National Championship? :lol: That’s like a Benz with no engine, or a shy stripper, peanut butter with no jelly, ham with no burger!
:lol: GTFOH

An Eastern Washington fan taking shots at our Stadium????

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My high shool has a larger stadium than that cracker box you call a stadium up there. We may not fill ours but it shouldnt be hard to fill yours when it only holds around 8000 without bringing in extra seats. Just so you know that is less than half of Weber's capacity.

We also have what can be argued as the best scenic views in the entire conference.

And we had twice the attendance the mighty Eastern had against Tennessee St. And we were playing a "lowly D2".

There's plenty of room for progress at Weber but unlike Eastern, progress is being made at Weber :tothehand:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

As of right now this is where I would put them. Separated by which tier I believe they belong in.

1. Weber State
2. Montana
3. Montana State

4. Sacramento State
5. Idaho
6. UC Davis

7. Eastern Washington
8. Northern Arizona

9. Portland State
10. Cal Poly

11. Northern Colorado
12. Idaho State
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm hurt, Ryan....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:35 pm I'm hurt, Ryan....
Beat UNI this weekend and that tier jump is pretty much guaranteed. Just havent seen enough from Sac yet.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Wildcat Ryan wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:39 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:35 pm I'm hurt, Ryan....
Beat UNI this weekend and that tier jump is pretty much guaranteed. Just havent seen enough from Sac yet.
Of course not. We've only played one game. LOL....

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Back to back BSC titles and still be overlooked...I like it. :lol: :twisted:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:58 pm Back to back BSC titles and still be overlooked...I like it. :lol: :twisted:

Weber won 4 in a row and never got respect....you get used to it.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:58 pm Back to back BSC titles and still be overlooked...I like it. :lol: :twisted:
If a tree falls in the forest…. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: