Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: The Ukraine Crisis

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:41 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:35 pm

Of course they are. Xi is furiously taking notes. And the Biden Administration sees only what’s directly in front of it.
Ice cream? :D
Well it is certainly not steps.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:01 pm
JohnStOnge wrote:I have an inclination to wish we would have said we are not going to send any ground forces but we are going to provide air support to the Ukraine. Basically tell Putin, "Ok, you can invade. But you are not going to control the air space if you do. And we are going to tear up your ground forces pretty bad after we establish air superiority." In my wish the US would have started moving aircraft and support infrastructure to Ukraine as well as positioning aircraft carriers quite some time ago. Or, if getting the infrastructure in Ukraine is not possible, I'd wish we'd operate out of other parts of Europe. I am inclined in that way because I think that this is one of those things that needs to be stopped early on if it's going to be stopped without things getting way worse.

But I understand that I don't know. I am inclined to think that we are way superior to Russia in terms of air power. I don't believe they would have any chance against us in air battle. I could be wrong about that.

Also, there is that nuclear weapons thing. Any time this sort of thing starts happening there is that "End of the World as We Know It" thing in the background.

Finally, I know very well that the majority of the US population would not support it.
Wronge

About air power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I may be. But you saying that doesn't convince me. Here is one interesting take on the situation: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboo ... art-192874.

Whether SG thinks it's good or not, I do use MediaBiasFactCheck to check sources. This one is rated Right Center Bias with a High Factual Reporting rating.

Aside from that, I'm just going with mental osmosis. My impression over my 64 year (so far) lifetime is that, since the end of the Vietnam war, every time countries using Soviet/Russian aircraft and systems come into air conflict with countries using US aircraft and systems, they've gotten their butts kicked pretty bad.

As a citizen, I'd feel pretty confident in having our air power be able to handle Russian air power pretty easily if they had time to get in place and set up.

What I'd worry about is that with Putin we could end up being in a nuclear situation when he sees that he's getting his ass kicked in conventional terms.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:03 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:52 pm I have an inclination to wish we would have said we are not going to send any ground forces but we are going to provide air support to the Ukraine. Basically tell Putin, "Ok, you can invade. But you are not going to control the air space if you do. And we are going to tear up your ground forces pretty bad after we establish air superiority." In my wish the US would have started moving aircraft and support infrastructure to Ukraine as well as positioning aircraft carriers quite some time ago. Or, if getting the infrastructure in Ukraine is not possible, I'd wish we'd operate out of other parts of Europe. I am inclined in that way because I think that this is one of those things that needs to be stopped early on if it's going to be stopped without things getting way worse.

But I understand that I don't know. I am inclined to think that we are way superior to Russia in terms of air power. I don't believe they would have any chance against us in air battle. I could be wrong about that.

Also, there is that nuclear weapons thing. Any time this sort of thing starts happening there is that "End of the World as We Know It" thing in the background.

Finally, I know very well that the majority of the US population would not support it.
For a guy that harps on intelligence - that is one of the dumbest things you've ever said. :dunce: :dunce: You don't tell an adversary it's ok to invade. What sort of message does that send about your strength? What does that say to the Ukrainians? Other countries that Russia might want to bring back into the fold? If ANY country has the right to tell the Russians they can invade, it's the Ukrainians and only them. I didn't read the rest of your post b/c your second sentence and its proposition is asinine. :thumbdown:

Haven't we already learned our "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" lesson from the Nazis and other dictators??

If you give a Putin a break-off region, he's going to want the Ukraine.
If you give a Putin the Ukraine, he's going to want another former Soviet satellite country.
Obviously, the idea is that you are telling them not to invade. It's, "OK you can do that but you're going to be screwed if you do." That's the idea.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:43 pm
CID1990 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:01 pm
Wronge

About air power

Well, I may be. But you saying that doesn't convince me. Here is one interesting take on the situation: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboo ... art-192874.

Whether SG thinks it's good or not, I do use MediaBiasFactCheck to check sources. This one is rated Right Center Bias with a High Factual Reporting rating.

Aside from that, I'm just going with mental osmosis. My impression over my 64 year (so far) lifetime is that, since the end of the Vietnam war, every time countries using Soviet/Russian aircraft and systems come into air conflict with countries using US aircraft and systems, they've gotten their butts kicked pretty bad.

As a citizen, I'd feel pretty confident in having our air power be able to handle Russian air power pretty easily if they had time to get in place and set up.

What I'd worry about is that with Putin we could end up being in a nuclear situation when he sees that he's getting his ass kicked in conventional terms.
The gap has narrowed and Russia also has a home field advantage. Russia has 150,000 troops massed and Ukraine has an army of I think about 250,000 and they're playing defense with their backs to the wall. I think Russia must feel very confident about their ability to control the air. And the article refers to the situation at the end of 2018, so things may have changed
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Bobcat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

This entire "war" is going to happen because Biden says it is. Its about one thing and one thing only Biden saving his family fortune invested there in Ukraine. He is using the US Military as his own private security force to keep his money safe.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Bobcat wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:01 pm This entire "war" is going to happen because Biden says it is. Its about one thing and one thing only Biden saving his family fortune invested there in Ukraine. He is using the US Military as his own private security force to keep his money safe.
Do you think that we're going to put troops in Ukraine? Just us or NATO?

My guess is we're not going to put US troops anywhere we don't control the air.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:51 pm
93henfan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:38 am

Not only that, but the mask makes her look like a bird.

I'm pretty sure we're all just being fucked with in the Matrix at this point.
You mean the Metaverse
Neal Stephenson should sue the Zuckster :coffee:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Bobcat wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:01 pm This entire "war" is going to happen because Biden says it is. Its about one thing and one thing only Biden saving his family fortune invested there in Ukraine. He is using the US Military as his own private security force to keep his money safe.
holy shit. this has to be satire, right?

:rofl:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:01 pm Wronge

About air power

Well JSOVan Winkle, things have changed since Russia’s premiere fighter was the MiG-21.

They (and China) have stolen enough proprietary technology that they have largely caught up. China’s version of our F-22 is mostly on par with our best fighters and actually has some superior capabilities. We have comd quite a ways since China did maneuvers with it during the Xi-Biden talks back when Obama was President. In fact, the most substantial thing to come out of those meetings was Hunter getting some juicy Chinese largesse

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:07 am Acting weak is bad. Acting tough gets us into wars.
Acting tough can keep us out of wars- ie peace through strength.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Lol at these dipshit reporters on FNC wearing flak jackets amd combat helmets when nothing is going on around them..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Well, full scale invasion is apparently on..
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:06 pm Well, full scale invasion is apparently on..
Yep. I was wrong. Though Putin would take the part of Ukraine it wants through more of a slowburn infiltration/propaganda style. But I mean the weakest and most mentally frail POTUS in modern history is in power so now's the best time to grab what you want with brute force.

Wonder when China makes its move to eat Taiwan?

And I thought electing Biden was supposed to stop these kinds of actions abroad? :lol:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Putin has lost it. This is obviously terrible for Ukraine and they are royally fucked. But, there is no way this ends as a positive for Russia either. Absolute senselessness.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:25 pm Putin has lost it. This is obviously terrible for Ukraine and they are royally fucked. But, there is no way this ends as a positive for Russia either. Absolute senselessness.

I'm sure Europe and its armies will stop Russia...oh wait...
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Was/is Tulsi right? 12 days ago:
"First of all, President Biden could end this crisis and prevent a war with Russia by doing something very simple.

Guaranteeing that Ukraine will not become a member of NATO because if Ukraine became a member of NATO, that would put U.S. and NATO troops right on the doorstep of Russia, which, as Putin has laid out, would undermine their national security interests.

The reality is that it is highly, highly unlikely that Ukraine will ever become a member of NATO anyway. So the question is, why don't president Biden and NATO leaders actually just say that and guarantee it?

Which begs the question of why are we in this position then? If the answer to this and preventing this war from happening is very clear as day. And really, it just points to one conclusion that I can see, which is, they actually want Russia to invade Ukraine.

Number one, it gives the Biden administration a clear excuse to go and levy draconian sanctions, which are a modern-day siege against Russia and the Russian people.

And number two, it cements this Cold War in place. The military-industrial complex is the one that benefits from this.

They clearly control the Biden administration. Warmongers on both sides in Washington have drumming up these tensions. If they get Russia to invade Ukraine, then, again, it locks in this new Cold War.”

Gabbard argued that the "military-industrial complex" would make "a ton more money than they have been fighting Al-Qaeda.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/tu ... NewsSearch
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Bet its not going to be a good day for the markets tomorrow..
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:06 pm Bet its not going to be a good day for the markets tomorrow..
Going to be a great day if you've been waiting to buy the dip. 8-)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:59 pm Lol at these dipshit reporters on FNC wearing flak jackets amd combat helmets when nothing is going on around them..
Well, flipping to CNN, looks like the dumbassery is universal..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Biden to address the nation tomorrow.. :roll:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

This crazy ass mofo was right again.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Oil has shot up almost $4, over $101 now..
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:06 pm Bet its not going to be a good day for the markets tomorrow..
Moved everything into certificates 8 days ago for this very reason.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Another major "L" for the retards that voted in this racist piece of shit. Rather than own it, we'll see a lot of "you guys are Putin supporters/stooges" from the left.

Going to be an entertaining run up to the midterms. :popcorn: