AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:10 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:33 pm

You know who freaked out? The libs in Austin, Dallas and Houston. The rest of the state basically lit the fire in the fireplace, cooked on their BBQ and filled their bathtubs with water to wait it out. Granted, if the grid is zapped, those remedies aren’t going to get you through it, but the libs were looking for a “government save me” solution from minute ONE.
Not everyone has a fireplace or the ability to save themselves. Brace yourself for increased expectations that government will save people. Especially when it comes to protecting and managing basic resources like heat and water.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No shit, sherlock. And some people (who claim to be fully functioning adults) have ZERO ability to save themselves.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:38 am
HI54UNI wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:40 am

Downsides worse than people not having heat or water? I can't imagine a downside worse than freezing to death.
It's a multi-step strategy Fiver. Move to renewable energy sources and then argue that the high cost of electricity is a sign of systematic racism because a higher percentage of minorities are adversely affected.
Regardless, it’s happening. We can whine about the evil liberals or accept that change is constant and recognize that in general, things improve.

Might need to trade your vehicle in for a horse and buggy though.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:43 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:10 am

Not everyone has a fireplace or the ability to save themselves. Brace yourself for increased expectations that government will save people. Especially when it comes to protecting and managing basic resources like heat and water.

No shit, sherlock. And some people (who claim to be fully functioning adults) have ZERO ability to save themselves.
That’s your disconnect. There’s WAY more than some.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:24 am

Agree.

phpBB [video]
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Well then, we could stand a good EMP pulse or two...thin the herd of those who should never have survived anyways....

:nod: :nod: :nod:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:22 am

It's a multi-step strategy Fiver. Move to renewable energy sources and then argue that the high cost of electricity is a sign of systematic racism because a higher percentage of minorities are adversely affected.
Regardless, it’s happening. We can whine about the evil liberals or accept that change is constant and recognize that in general, things improve.

In general. This is not one of those cases. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:21 am

In general. This is not one of those cases. :coffee:
What’s not one of those cases? The Texas fiasco?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Yes it's happening. One side is arguing that nothing is wrong and we should just keep going as we are while the other side is arguing that the sky is falling and we should move to renewable energy sources immediately without addressing the pitfalls and challenges. The smart path is somewhere between those two extremes but both sides are too self-righteous and arrogant to see it.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:47 am

Agree.

phpBB [video]
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:33 am

Yes it's happening. One side is arguing that nothing is wrong and we should just keep going as we are while the other side is arguing that the sky is falling and we should move to renewable energy sources immediately without addressing the pitfalls and challenges. The smart path is somewhere between those two extremes but both sides are too self-righteous and arrogant to see it.
No doubt. But the optimist in me says that’s exactly how we find the middle. It ain’t pretty at times but that sensible balance between independence and community is our sweet spot.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Fracking and the corresponding drop in NatGas prices are doing more to shutdown older coal fired plants then the EPA. Problem is peaking plants make horrible base load plants.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:05 am

Fracking and the corresponding drop in NatGas prices are doing more to shutdown older coal fired plants then the EPA. Problem is peaking plants make horrible base load plants.
Coal is all running today. No wind. Our area of the grid has 29,000 MW of wind capacity. Only 600 MW is running which is 2% of energy demand. Coal is 51%, natural gas is 33%.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Minnesota down to 2300 active cases of Covid, pretty much back to normal. 592,000 recovered.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Back on topic - anybody been reading the released Fauci emails?

"Masks are really for infected people to prevent them from spreading infection to people who are not infected rather than protecting uninfected people from acquiring infection," Fauci wrote.

"The typical mask you buy in the drug store is not really effective in keeping out virus, which is small enough to pass through material. It might, however, provide some slight benefit in keep out gross droplets if someone coughs or sneezes on you."

"I do not recommend that you wear a mask, particularly since you are going to a very low risk location," he said.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:49 am Back on topic - anybody been reading the released Fauci emails?

"Masks are really for infected people to prevent them from spreading infection to people who are not infected rather than protecting uninfected people from acquiring infection," Fauci wrote.

"The typical mask you buy in the drug store is not really effective in keeping out virus, which is small enough to pass through material. It might, however, provide some slight benefit in keep out gross droplets if someone coughs or sneezes on you."

"I do not recommend that you wear a mask, particularly since you are going to a very low risk location," he said.
Preventing the spread was the reason to wear the mask. It's never been about protecting the person wearing the mask.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:59 am
HI54UNI wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:49 am Back on topic - anybody been reading the released Fauci emails?

Preventing the spread was the reason to wear the mask. It's never been about protecting the person wearing the mask.
That's not true. Early on, once they decided that people should be wearing masks, it was about self protection. Only later was it clarified that your mask was protecting others. Mask guidance, especially early on, was messy and changing (evolving). I don't think that was/is a bad thing, no need to gloss over history to make it look better. The only thing that was shady was when Fauci knew we should be wearing masks but said the opposite in order to make sure we had enough masks for health care professionals. Maybe it was for the right reason, but when you actually lie about something it always looks shady afterwards. Especially when you are the subject matter expert.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

:coffee:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Deep breath

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:47 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:05 am

Coal is all running today. No wind. Our area of the grid has 29,000 MW of wind capacity. Only 600 MW is running which is 2% of energy demand. Coal is 51%, natural gas is 33%.
So all you need to do is replace 84% of your total energy production with complete renewables in the next 10-15 years. What's the problem?? :rofl:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

So it's like I said. Masks were mandated because people apparently forgot how to cough/sneeze into their elbow or to simply not be a dick and got out in public sick.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Btw, work changed the rules last night, we're on the honor system, but if you are two weeks out from being fully vaccinated you can now go mask-free in the workplace. Anyone who still isn't two weeks since getting their final shot are to still wear masks. Nobody is checking medical records or checking vaccination cards, so it's all the honor system. I'm going the whole day without a mask. Amazing the number of folks still wearing masks. Some are vaccinated folks who just aren't going to risk it, others are folks who didn't get vaccinated. Will be interesting to see this change over the next month and if more get vaccinated or just ditch the masks because they want to.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:10 am

That's not true. Early on, once they decided that people should be wearing masks, it was about self protection. Only later was it clarified that your mask was protecting others. Mask guidance, especially early on, was messy and changing (evolving). I don't think that was/is a bad thing, no need to gloss over history to make it look better. The only thing that was shady was when Fauci knew we should be wearing masks but said the opposite in order to make sure we had enough masks for health care professionals. Maybe it was for the right reason, but when you actually lie about something it always looks shady afterwards. Especially when you are the subject matter expert.
I don't ever remember hearing it was for protection of the person wearing masks. I always understood it was to prevent spreading to another person. My local clinic has promoted wear mask for patients with reparatory illness for several years now, to prevent the spread to other patients. Maybe it's because I have Asian friends that told me that when this started in Asia.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:16 am

So it's like I said. Masks were mandated because people apparently forgot how to cough/sneeze into their elbow or to simply not be a dick and got out in public sick.
People are (your word) "dicks". How many times have you been in work or at church or in a theater and you hear someone hacking the whole time - awful cough, or frequent sneezing or something like that? And certainly you hear kids doing the same, and people wiping their hands on their chair or pew or seat or something. People are disgusting, and too many sick people don't stay home from work or school or church when they are sick. My wife is a teacher and certainly has seen kids basically coughing up a mucus covered lung and yet they're still in school. It would be great if people learned from this pandemic to just stay home when they're sick. I'm not optimistic though. People aren't that considerate or thoughtful.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:11 am

You would laugh if I said the earth was a sphere.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:21 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:16 am

People are (your word) "dicks". How many times have you been in work or at church or in a theater and you hear someone hacking the whole time - awful cough, or frequent sneezing or something like that? And certainly you hear kids doing the same, and people wiping their hands on their chair or pew or seat or something. People are disgusting, and too many sick people don't stay home from work or school or church when they are sick. My wife is a teacher and certainly has seen kids basically coughing up a mucus covered lung and yet they're still in school. It would be great if people learned from this pandemic to just stay home when they're sick. I'm not optimistic though. People aren't that considerate or thoughtful.
All of these ^^^