What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Post by BDKJMU »

So the Pac 12 is going to be all by themselves in not playing?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:50 am So the Pac 12 is going to be all by themselves in not playing?
I think they're scrambling now, but I'm not sure they were as far along as the Big 10 was in terms of being able to reverse course. I think they'll try, but if they can't match the Big 10 and start by the end of October then they won't be playoff eligible and probably won't play. I think they're 50/50 right now.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

NDSU attendance for the UCA Game is expected to be around 8400. Nearly half the season ticket holders said they would not go. We got our tickets reserved, my brother will be going.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Yesterday:
NCAA Council approves plan for FCS football championship in spring, playoff field trimmed to 16 teams

The FCS playoffs will be reduced from 24 teams to 16 teams and played April 18 through May 15, according to a proposal adopted by the NCAA Division I Council on Wednesday. The plan will need to be approved by the Division I Board of Directors next week.

Under the proposal, teams would be allowed to play a maximum of eight regular-season games during a period of 13 weeks leading into the beginning of the playoffs. Teams will be allowed practice and can have up to 12 hours of "countable athletics activity" between Sept. 21 and Dec. 31.

"The intent of the model is to allow maximum flexibility for conferences and schools, with an overarching goal of returning to the normal calendar for the 2021-22 academic year," read an NCAA statement on the proposal.

Only a handful of FCS programs are playing games this fall after several conferences postponed their seasons amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the fall cancellation mark reached 50% for FCS teams, NCAA president Mark Emmert asserted there would be no fall championships for NCAA-sponsored postseasons in fall sports. But FCS teams that are playing in the fall will have their fall games considered when the field for the FCS playoffs is determined under the proposal approved by the Division I Council on Wednesday.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -16-teams/
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

MSN mock draft has Trey Lance #2. I better watch him in Green and Yellow while I can.

link

That’s not a problem in the latest projection from Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller, who indeed has Lawrence in the top spot for the Jacksonville Jaguars, but throws a huge curveball at the No. 2 selection.

Miller has the Washington Football team passing on Sewell, and even Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields, in favor of North Dakota State quarterback Trey Lance. Miller broke down his reasoning for plugging Lance in at such a high spot:

Much like the Jacksonville Jaguars, if the Washington Football Team is selecting at No. 2 overall, it likely means they would move on from second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins Jr.

But again, this is not a shot at Haskins, who is a talented and capable quarterback. It’s more a reflection of where the Super Bowl odds have this team and what direction it would go in this scenario.

So, how about Trey Lance? In his 2019 breakout campaign, he was responsible for 42 touchdowns and no interceptions—28 passing and 14 rushing. Turning on his film, you’ll think it’s a highlight breakdown instead of his full games. He’s athletic and strong-armed, and he gives you a Deshaun Watson-at-Clemson vibe. It’s exciting.

It’s hard to argue with much of what Miller says here, including the fact that if Washington is picking this high, it wouldn’t be a shock to see them move on from Haskins despite having recently invested a first-round pick in him. That said, Lance is still a huge projection at this point, and unlike his fellow Bison alum Carson Wentz, the redshirt sophomore won’t get the benefit of the Senior Bowl to prove himself against top talent and improve his stock.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:28 am MSN mock draft has Trey Lance #2. I better watch him in Green and Yellow while I can.

link

That’s not a problem in the latest projection from Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller, who indeed has Lawrence in the top spot for the Jacksonville Jaguars, but throws a huge curveball at the No. 2 selection.

Miller has the Washington Football team passing on Sewell, and even Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields, in favor of North Dakota State quarterback Trey Lance. Miller broke down his reasoning for plugging Lance in at such a high spot:

Much like the Jacksonville Jaguars, if the Washington Football Team is selecting at No. 2 overall, it likely means they would move on from second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins Jr.

But again, this is not a shot at Haskins, who is a talented and capable quarterback. It’s more a reflection of where the Super Bowl odds have this team and what direction it would go in this scenario.

So, how about Trey Lance? In his 2019 breakout campaign, he was responsible for 42 touchdowns and no interceptions—28 passing and 14 rushing. Turning on his film, you’ll think it’s a highlight breakdown instead of his full games. He’s athletic and strong-armed, and he gives you a Deshaun Watson-at-Clemson vibe. It’s exciting.

It’s hard to argue with much of what Miller says here, including the fact that if Washington is picking this high, it wouldn’t be a shock to see them move on from Haskins despite having recently invested a first-round pick in him. That said, Lance is still a huge projection at this point, and unlike his fellow Bison alum Carson Wentz, the redshirt sophomore won’t get the benefit of the Senior Bowl to prove himself against top talent and improve his stock.
Haskins would have to crater this year for Washington to spend a first round pick, at #2, on a QB like Lance. I'm not sure I see Washington picking at #2 anyway - they'll be top 10, but top 2 is rarefied air. Lance will go first round, and likely top 15, but he's still an unknown when it comes to NFL talent and expectation.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:26 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:28 am MSN mock draft has Trey Lance #2. I better watch him in Green and Yellow while I can.

link

Haskins would have to crater this year for Washington to spend a first round pick, at #2, on a QB like Lance. I'm not sure I see Washington picking at #2 anyway - they'll be top 10, but top 2 is rarefied air. Lance will go first round, and likely top 15, but he's still an unknown when it comes to NFL talent and expectation.
:nod: Lance is winner but the Watson comparisons are over the top. Lance has 1 year of results that are excellent, Watson had 3 years of success at Clemson and the NC games against Alabama demonstrated his grit, skills and leadership more than anything Lance has done.
Last edited by UNI88 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CBS Sports has 3 mocks with Lance at 20, 12, 12 and Dillon Radunz at 18, 32, 13. Would be great if that happened, to get 2 Bison into the first round. Maybe sneak Cox in there by draft time for 3.

CBS NFL Mock
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:38 am CBS Sports has 3 mocks with Lance at 20, 12, 12 and Dillon Radunz at 18, 32, 13. Would be great if that happened, to get 2 Bison into the first round. Maybe sneak Cox in there by draft time for 3.

CBS NFL Mock
I thought Cox plays for LSU?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:52 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:38 am CBS Sports has 3 mocks with Lance at 20, 12, 12 and Dillon Radunz at 18, 32, 13. Would be great if that happened, to get 2 Bison into the first round. Maybe sneak Cox in there by draft time for 3.

CBS NFL Mock
He does, but he also played for NDSU. North Carolina St claims Russell Wilson as a NFL Alum.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:04 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:52 am
He does, but he also played for NDSU. North Carolina St claims Russell Wilson as a NFL Alum.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:10 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:04 am

As do the Badgers :)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:25 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:10 am
As do the Badgers :)
One of the first things he did during the post-game interview last night was to give condolences to his former Badger teammate James White.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

So now that there are no OOC games to help try to get some wins, the Terps schedule...

at Northwestern
Minnesota
at Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan State
at Indiana
at Michigan
Rutgers

Maybe one win. :(
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

If the Winter/Spring season happens will be a complete crapshoot as far as predictions go. Pre season polls will be even more worthless than usual..

Over 100 FCS players transferred up for 2020.
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-mon ... rtal-bzbz/

2020 Top players (as in AAs, likely or possible 2021 draft picks) not playing Winter/Spring so far, including 7 of 8 Senior Bowl invites..
-NDSU QB Trey Lance- projected 1st round pick.
-NDSU OT Dillon Radnunz: Draftscout FCS #1 ranked OT, projected as high as 1st round, Senior Bowl invite.
-NDSU LB Jabril Cox- Was Draftscout FCS #1 ranked OLB, grad transfer & starting LSU. Projected mid round pick.
-UNI OL Spencer Brown- Draftscout FCS #2 ranked OT, Senior Bowl invite.
-UNI DL Ellerson Smith- Draftscout FCS #1 ranked DE, Senior Bowl Invite.
-Villanova OC Paul Grattan: Was Draftscout FCS #1 ranked OC, grad transferred & starting UCLA.
-Villanova WR Changa Hodge: Was Draftscout FCS #6 ranked WR, grad transferred VT.
-SDSU WR Cade Johnson- Draftscout FCS #1 ranked WR, Senior Bowl invite.
-JMU FS D’Angelo Amos (also 2x AA PR). Was Draftscout FCS #2 ranked FS, grad transferred UVA, starting nickel.
-Towson RB (2018 All Purpose AA) Shane Simson- grad transferred UVA.
-UCA CB Robert Rochell: Draftscout FCS #1 ranked CB, Senior Bowl invite.
-NCCU CB Bryan Mills: Draftscout FCS #2 ranked CB, Senior Bowl invite.
-Grambling St OL- David Moore: Senior Bowl invite.
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-5-p ... bowl-bzbz/
https://draftscout.com/div.php?CFBDivis ... &order=ASC
Likely will be more pro prospects sitting out the Winter/Spring season.

2021 Top players/2022 draft not playing Winter/Spring, or Fall FCS:
-Montana AA WR Samori Toure: entered transfer portal.
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-mon ... rtal-bzbz/
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: Possibility of 2020 season being cancelled?

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:00 am
89Hen wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:53 am

:rofl: POTY nominee
Something to stop the run. Hopefully our QB still gets 3 more years if the season is cancelled.
If the season is cancelled hopefully Lance will return to work on his passing skills.I think he could be the second coming of the late Steve McNair.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:30 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:00 am

Something to stop the run. Hopefully our QB still gets 3 more years if the season is cancelled.
If the season is cancelled hopefully Lance will return to work on his passing skills.I think he could be the second coming of the late Steve McNair.
Lance has declared for the draft, no Spring season for him. Thinking the Iowa St transfer may be the new QB, but NDSU has some good recruits at the position.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:14 am
Lance has declared for the draft, no Spring season for him. Thinking the Iowa St transfer may be the new QB, but NDSU has some good recruits at the position.
Good luck to him and yes he has some top flight backups.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Fingers crossed it's the kid that couldn't beat out Brock Purdy who wasn't as good as Will McElvain head-to-head. :-P
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:51 pm

Fingers crossed it's the kid that couldn't beat out Brock Purdy who wasn't as good as Will McElvain head-to-head. :-P
Let either of them throw to ZACH MATHIAS that 6'6 PLAXICO BURRESS wannabe that will solve the problem.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

FCS 'big three' assistant coaches who could be future head coaches

The Big Sky, CAA and Missouri Valley conferences are the big three in the FCS, having produced the last 12 national champions and all but three of the 24 finalists during that time. While the next best thing could come from any FCS conference, the following from the top three conferences are assistant coaches yet to be a head coach (which rules out the likes of New Hampshire's Rick Santos and Southern Illinois' Jason Petrino) to keep a close eye on:..
https://sports.yahoo.com/fcs-big-three- ... ncaaf.html

3 coordinators from the Big Sky, 1 DC and 1 LB coach from the CAA, and 3 coordinators from the MVFC talked about..