2020 Official Baseball Season Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2020 Official Baseball Season Thread

Post by 93henfan »

Doubt the season makes it to August.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:34 am Doubt the season makes it to August.
Quite possible. Amazing that people can't do the simplest things - wear masks, maintain social distance, and clean your hands regularly. I'm not surprised that pro baseball players were the first ones to screw this up - they tend to be the most pampered/insular pro athletes and MLB is a pretty weak organization. If you had to pick a sport where they were going to blow this then baseball had to be at the top of the list.

As for wearing masks, you have to wonder why baseball can't wear masks, even during the game - you watch guys play in the postseason and when they play in a really cold place then you frequently see guys play the game while wearing neck gaiters pulled up as masks. I get that it's hot in the summer, but why couldn't they wear masks like that? Pretty much likely to be a rhetorical question as baseball is bound to close shop, if not this week then at the next outbreak.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:11 pm
93henfan wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:34 am Doubt the season makes it to August.
Quite possible. Amazing that people can't do the simplest things - wear masks, maintain social distance, and clean your hands regularly. I'm not surprised that pro baseball players were the first ones to screw this up - they tend to be the most pampered/insular pro athletes and MLB is a pretty weak organization. If you had to pick a sport where they were going to blow this then baseball had to be at the top of the list.

As for wearing masks, you have to wonder why baseball can't wear masks, even during the game - you watch guys play in the postseason and when they play in a really cold place then you frequently see guys play the game while wearing neck gaiters pulled up as masks. I get that it's hot in the summer, but why couldn't they wear masks like that? Pretty much likely to be a rhetorical question as baseball is bound to close shop, if not this week then at the next outbreak.
I honestly thought the NBA would crash and burn first, simply because the whole game is sweaty men humping each other. You figure one guy has that shit in a game, every player on the court will have it the next day.

MLB has the LEAST amount of contact of the four major sports, plus even soccer.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:35 pm Cardboard cutouts of fans and piped in crowd noises. This is a fucking joke, right?

Cubs Install Cardboard Cutouts Of Fans Pissing All Over Streets Outside Wrigley Field

Authenticity is important with cutouts. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:18 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:11 pm

I honestly thought the NBA would crash and burn first, simply because the whole game is sweaty men humping each other. You figure one guy has that shit in a game, every player on the court will have it the next day.

MLB has the LEAST amount of contact of the four major sports, plus even soccer.
But that's where the league comes into play - say what you want about basketball, but the NBA generally is pretty well run and is able to think things through and implement them, especially compared with the dumpster fire that is the MLB. The way the organization is run is just so much better. It could all come crashing down on them too (i.e. see Lou Williams hitting the strip clubs when supposedly out of the bubble for a friend's funeral) but at least the league has shown a much higher level of competence in terms of how to run things. No one uses MLB and competence in the same sentence normally (this one being the exception obviously).
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:35 pm Cardboard cutouts of fans and piped in crowd noises. This is a fucking joke, right?
I thought the piped in crowd noise was pretty good. Just having the game on the tv and doing stuff around the house and it sounded like it normally does. Granted, the Phil opted not to pipe in the crowd booing, so I missed that, otherwise it felt authentic.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:05 pm
I thought the piped in crowd noise was pretty good. Just having the game on the tv and doing stuff around the house and it sounded like it normally does. Granted, the Phil opted not to pipe in the crowd booing, so I missed that, otherwise it felt authentic.
I listened to an inning on the radio on Saturday while driving. Radio is not piping in fake sound. The best part was that you could hear people heckling Bryce Harper. Larry Andersen explained that they were standing outside a gate in the outfield and with no fans in the stadium, you could hear them clear as day on the broadcast. I'm sure the organization has since put up barricades to keep them farther away. I love Philadelphia fans. :rofl:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:20 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:05 pm

I listened to an inning on the radio on Saturday while driving. Radio is not piping in fake sound. The best part was that you could hear people heckling Bryce Harper. Larry Andersen explained that they were standing outside a gate in the outfield and with no fans in the stadium, you could hear them clear as day on the broadcast. I'm sure the organization has since put up barricades to keep them farther away. I love Philadelphia fans. :rofl:
There are none better. :thumb:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Phillies-Yankees game tonight is postponed. Still waiting on test results of the Phillies.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:45 am Phillies-Yankees game tonight is postponed. Still waiting on test results of the Phillies.
Reports are there are no Phillies testing positive. One person part of the visiting clubhouse staff has tested positive.

And something to make you really trust these tests, a Marlin who twice tested positive has now tested negative.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:58 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:45 am Phillies-Yankees game tonight is postponed. Still waiting on test results of the Phillies.
Reports are there are no Phillies testing positive. One person part of the visiting clubhouse staff has tested positive.

And something to make you really trust these tests, a Marlin who twice tested positive has now tested negative.
But he used a Cuban test kit.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

The whole MLB fiasco is why I keep trolling the FCS Fans Facebuks Page.

There is no way in hell FCS football gets played this fall. The page is full of tiresome bizon fans who are still whining about the Oregon game (GOD I WISH IT HAD BEEN PLAYED)

I can’t think of a better time for the Byesun to move up! Go to FBS and play! I’ll even cheer for you in the Spanky’s Hamburgers Northwest Transtesticle Bowl when you play Boise State!

Please go
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Two Phillies staff (a coach and a home clubhouse staffer) test positive for COVID. All ballpark operations shut down at CBP. Series against Blue Jays, in addition to the Yankees series already, has been canceled.

May as well go ahead and write this season off. The Phillies already have ~10% of their season to try to make up.

Boy did the Miami Marlins ever fuck things up.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

93henfan wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:34 am Two Phillies staff (a coach and a home clubhouse staffer) test positive for COVID. All ballpark operations shut down at CBP. Series against Blue Jays, in addition to the Yankees series already, has been canceled.

May as well go ahead and write this season off. The Phillies already have ~10% of their season to try to make up.

If they are going to cancel games every time the laundry boy's second cousin tests positive, there is no way they are going to get through this season. Just cut it now. :ohno:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:34 am Two Phillies staff (a coach and a home clubhouse staffer) test positive for COVID. All ballpark operations shut down at CBP. Series against Blue Jays, in addition to the Yankees series already, has been canceled.

Kids can't stop themselves going to strip clubs. It's the world we live in. :ohno:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

It’s a bit weird watching a game and seeing cardboard cut outs in the stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

MLB and the union agreed today to play 7 inning games on the days of double headers.
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

I agree with the last several posters. Just stop it now.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:04 pm The whole MLB fiasco is why I keep trolling the FCS Fans Facebuks Page.

There is no way in hell FCS football gets played this fall. The page is full of tiresome bizon fans who are still whining about the Oregon game (GOD I WISH IT HAD BEEN PLAYED)

I can’t think of a better time for the Byesun to move up! Go to FBS and play! I’ll even cheer for you in the Spanky’s Hamburgers Northwest Transtesticle Bowl when you play Boise State!

Please go
:rofl: :rofl:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:04 pm The whole MLB fiasco is why I keep trolling the FCS Fans Facebuks Page.

Please go
They like it just where they are.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Please go
And where would the Bison go? They are too small for the nearest FBS conference, Big10 or 12. JMU is right up there and not far from possibly winning the last 3 of 4 championships. Good program and a little luck has kept this run going. It's not going to to last forever. Just enjoying it while it happens.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:37 am

Please go
And where would the Bison go? They are too small for the nearest FBS conference, Big10 or 12. JMU is right up there and not far from possibly winning the last 3 of 4 championships. Good program and a little luck has kept this run going. It's not going to to last forever. Just enjoying it while it happens.
Gil, you (and WB) are not part of the insufferable bizumb herd. Those cvnt of snorty cvnts think that they came into FCS naked, starving and broke and achieved the pinnacle of success with hard work and no luck and that other teams just need to follow their example. They also think they would have won several more natties if they would have been eligible from the start despite the fact that they were also supposedly naked, starving and broke at the time. Their yin and yang is hubris and insecurity.
Last edited by UNI88 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:36 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:37 am

Gil, you (and WB) are not part of the insufferable bizumb herd. Those thundering turds think that they came into FCS naked, starving and broke and achieved the pinnacle of success with hard work and no luck and that other teams just need to follow their example. They also think they would have won several more natties if they would have been eligible from the start despite the fact that they were also supposedly naked, starving and broke at the time. Their yin and yang is hubris and insecurity.
UNI is only a hard headed coaches decision or two away from having won their own titles. Always expect a tough game against the Panthers.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:37 am And where would the Bison go? They are too small for the nearest FBS conference, Big10 or 12. JMU is right up there and not far from possibly winning the last 3 of 4 championships. Good program and a little luck has kept this run going. It's not going to to last forever. Just enjoying it while it happens.
Gil, you (and WB) are not part of the insufferable bizumb herd. Those thundering turds think that they came into FCS naked, starving and broke and achieved the pinnacle of success with hard work and no luck and that other teams just need to follow their example. They also think they would have won several more natties if they would have been eligible from the start despite the fact that they were also supposedly naked, starving and broke at the time. Their yin and yang is hubris and insecurity.
AHEM

Nobody is bad enough to merit the title of Thundering Turd

not even the bizons

That title is exclusively reserved for Marshall ... and the jersey is retired

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:59 am
UNI88 wrote:
AHEM

Nobody is bad enough to merit the title of Thundering Turd

not even the bizons

That title is exclusively reserved for Marshall ... and the jersey is retired

I wondered if that would bring out any of the Marshall haters. I will revise it to cvnt of snorty cvnts.