Rob Weiss, FCS Update
1. Richmond Spiders at Maine Black Bears
Richmond will be too much for an up and down Maine team.The Spiders continue the longest winning streak in FCS football.
Richmond 38 Maine 17
2. Northern Iowa Panthers vs. 5. Southern Illinois Salukis
Another classic MVFC battle in Cedar Falls. Last Saluki win in the UNI-Dome was 1983. I think the streak continues.
Northern Iowa 38 Southern Illinois 35
3. New Hampshire Wildcats at 20. Massachusetts Minutemen
New Hampshire is riding high off of a Homecoming victory over a highly ranked Villanova squad. Massachusetts is on the other end of the spectrum after a blowout loss to Delaware. Massachusetts is looking for a Homecoming win of their own, but they come up just short.
New Hampshire 27 Massachusetts 21
4. Montana Grizzlies vs. 21. Eastern Washington Eagles
The Griz take on their 2nd Top 25 opponent in a row. EWU comes into the game with a high powered offense. The Griz have shown they can win close games and I think they’ll pull out another win.
Montana 35 Eastern Washington 28
5. Southern Illinois Salukis at 2. Northern Iowa Panthers
see 2. Northern Iowa Panthers
6. Villanova Wildcats at 19. James Madison Dukes
Villanova is on the road against a ranked team for the 2nd week in a row. Last weekend they couldn’t get past an undefeated New Hampshire squad. James Madison almost took down defending champion, Richmond. JMU is at home and due for the big win.
James Madison 24 Villanova 20
7. William & Mary Tribe BYE
8. Elon Phoenix BYE
9. Central Arkansas Bears vs. 16. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
Easily the game of the week in the Southland Conference, this game has a lot riding on the line. Central Arkansas looks to continue it’s dominance of the SLC and prove that they deserve a Top 10 ranking, while SFA looks to prove that they are back and plan to contend for the automatic bid to the playoffs. Central Arkansas is too tough at home.
Central Arkansas 34 Stephen F. Austin 31
10. Appalachian State Mountaineers at Wofford Terriers
After an 0-2 start, the Mountaineers have won 3 straight. Wofford is down after a lot of injuries have hurt depth. The hurt continues for Wofford.
Appalachian State 35 Wofford 10
11. South Dakota State Jackrabbits vs. North Dakota State Bison
The Jackrabbits are riding high. Still undefeated in conference play heading into a tough stretch against NDSU and UNI. The Bison are off to one of their worst starts in years. One win on the year, big loss at home to UNI last week, and no Pat Paschall this week for the Bison. Jacks keep the Dakota Marker for the 3rd year in a row.
South Dakota State 35 North Dakota State 17
12. Jacksonville State Gamecocks BYE
13. South Carolina State Bulldogs vs. 22. Florida A&M Rattlers
Both teams are riding high. Each is 4-1 and 2-0 in the MEAC. Bulldogs have big game experience and homefield advantage. (read the full breakdown of this game on the FCS Update blog)
South Carolina State 24 Florida A&M 14
14. Weber State Wildcats vs Sacremento State Hornets
Weber State bounced back from their first conference loss last week with an 18-point win over Eastern Washington. Sacremento State has won two straight. The Hornets streak comes to an end.
Weber State 24 Sacremento State 14
15. McNeese State Cowboys vs. Northwestern State Demons
McNeese State took a hit to their playoff hopes last week, losing their first SLC game of the season to Stephen F Austin. The Cowboys look to roll over winless Northwestern State to get their playoff train back on track.
McNeese 38 Northwestern State 7
16. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks at 9. Central Arkansas Bears
see 9. Central Arkansas Bears
17. Cal Poly Mustangs
Cal Poly comes home after losing to Montana last week. Southern Utah is much improved with 2 FBS losses and a close loss to 24. Northern Arizona. I think SUU pulls the upset.
Southern Utah 24 Cal Poly 21
18. Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens at Towson Tigers
Delaware looks to claw it’s way back into the CAA race, as well as make a case for an at-large bid. Towson’s looking to turn things around. It’ll be a little longer Tiger fans.
Delaware 35 Towson 13
19. James Madison Dukes vs. 6. Villanova Wildcats
See 6. Villanova Wildcats
20. Massachusetts Minutemen vs. 3. New Hampshire Wildcats
See 3. New Hampshire Wildcats
21. Eastern Washington Eagles at 4. Montana Grizzlies
See 4. Montana Grizzlies
22. Florida A&M Rattlers at 13. South Carolina State Bulldogs
See 13. South Carolina State Bulldogs
23. Colgate Raiders vs. Georgetown
Colgate stays undefeated, Georgetown stays winless.
Colgate 28 Georgetown 3
24. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks at Portland State Vikings
Northern Arizona looks to prove they belong in the Top 25. Portland State looks to get on the winning track. Lumberjacks prove themselves.
Northern Arizona 38 Portland State 14
25. Furman Paladins vs. Samford Bulldogs
Samford is on the edge of falling out of the playoff hunt. Furman isn’t too far behind. The Paladins need to win this one. but they won’t.
Samford 24 Furman 17
……and hack away at it.