Political discussions
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: Killer Snail

Banned from Democratic Underground

Post by dbackjon »

A victim of the "Great Gay Purge of 2009".

For those not familiar with DU, it is a "liberal" site supporting Democrats. I have been a member since 2003. It is turned to the right recently, and is currently overrun by Obamabots, who bristle at any criticizism of dear leader.

Us "uppity gays" have been critical of Obama's non-support, and embracing of homophobes like Donnie McLurkin, Rick Warren, etc, and his backpeddling on promises made to repeal DADT, DOMA, etc.

This weekend, a number of GLBT posters were banned for questioning the site management, and the owners apparent changing of rules/uneven enforcement of rules. (sound familiar?).

I decided to go down in blaze of glory, and commit boardicide, adding to Gaypocalypse.

Final post here, before deletion:

:thumb:

travelinman67
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Portland State Vikings
A.K.A.: Modern Man

Re: Banned from Democratic Underground

Post by travelinman67 »

Why should they listen to the GLBT community?

They accomplished their goal of taking control of the White House and Capitol Hill via pandering to all the splinter groups, so now they can tell all those groups to go to hell.

Ya' been used there sonny boy.

It's what I keep trying to tell you...

:roll:
"That is how government works - we tell you what you can do today."
- EPA Kommissar Gina McCarthy

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

travelinman67 wrote:Why should they listen to the GLBT community?

They accomplished their goal of taking control of the White House and Capitol Hill via pandering to all the splinter groups, so now they can tell all those groups to go to hell.

I figured you would get a kick out of this.

Most of us actually predicted this last fall, but the Obamazombies kept bleating about how different Obama was, how he was, in his own words, "a fierce advocate for gay rights"

This is actually the GOP's best chance to make inroads - stop being idiots, and let the Democratic rank and file realize how much they have been betrayed by their own party.
But as long as the GOP is in the hands of Rush Limbaugh and his cronies, the rank and file will be engrossed in stopping them, and remain loyal to the Democratic Party.

Ursus A. Horribilis
Chili w/Beans
Chili w/Beans
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

dbackjon wrote:

Most of us actually predicted this last fall, but the Obamazombies kept bleating about how different Obama was, how he was, in his own words, "a fierce advocate for gay rights"

This is actually the GOP's best chance to make inroads - stop being idiots, and let the Democratic rank and file realize how much they have been betrayed by their own party.
But as long as the GOP is in the hands of Rush Limbaugh and his cronies, the rank and file will be engrossed in stopping them, and remain loyal to the Democratic Party.
Dback I don't get a kick out of it but it does drive home a point to everyone. Unless the people are after a certain thing the politician isn't gonna do anything about it even if they say they are. Personally I would rather know a person's true feelings toward me so I knew how to deal with them than to have them lying to me and saying they were on my side only to leave me when I had put my trust in them. Like in a bar fight for instance...I would rather know right up front that I didn't have your loyalty so that I wasn't counting on you to keep a guy from hitting from the backside. :lol: (I didn't even really work that in intentionally)

Now I know that both sides are liars but in this case and with hindsight I would rather just have it straight from the repubs that they weren't moving my platform forward but this all works on hope and fear on either side of the aisle because that's what we've all allowed from our elected officials. It does suck for you guys but it provides clearer evidence of what a lot of the public is doing with the idol worship of Obama. I hope Obama gets the country on the right track but some of his followers are nuckin futs.
Charter Member of SSAMPOA
D1B wrote:I'm just getting old and want one in the can
93henfan wrote:Luckily one of the dudes came in to juggle my nuts.

bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

How can DU justify banning someone? I understand if the guy cussed all the time but what else could be against the rules? This is the party of inclusion and acceptance. :shock:

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

bobbythekidd wrote:How can DU justify banning someone? I understand if the guy cussed all the time but what else could be against the rules? This is the party of inclusion and acceptance. :shock:
Questioning authority. Calling out the moderators for uneven enforcement of rules, calling other posters Obamabots.

Ursus A. Horribilis
Chili w/Beans
Chili w/Beans

dbackjon wrote:
bobbythekidd wrote:How can DU justify banning someone? I understand if the guy cussed all the time but what else could be against the rules? This is the party of inclusion and acceptance. :shock:
Questioning authority. Calling out the moderators for uneven enforcement of rules, calling other posters Obamabots.
dback you're confused. That's the repub party of 50's and 60's isn't it?

bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bobbythekidd »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
dback you're confused. That's the repub party of 50's and 60's isn't it?
Kinda what I was thinking.

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

This was just posted today, Dback. You familiar with the poster TechBear_Seattle?

http://gadow.livejournal.com/6018.html

Here's what he has to say about it in the comments section...
There has been rampant speculation that DU has become prominent enough that The Party has moved in and is now calling the shots; Democratic Underground is no longer Skinner's but the White House's. And they are tired of us uppity queers making unreasonable demands about equality and justice.
Sounds to me like they are becoming the left-wing equivalent of redstate.com, who doesn't have a lot of tolerance for conservatives who are for Ron Paul and/or against the war.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.

BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

Maybe the post contained bad syntax. Syntax errors can be a major reason for bannings and deleted posts.

bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bobbythekidd »

Pwns wrote:This was just posted today, Dback. You familiar with the poster TechBear_Seattle?

http://gadow.livejournal.com/6018.html

Here's what he has to say about it in the comments section...
There has been rampant speculation that DU has become prominent enough that The Party has moved in and is now calling the shots; Democratic Underground is no longer Skinner's but the White House's. And they are tired of us uppity queers making unreasonable demands about equality and justice.
Sounds to me like they are becoming the left-wing equivalent of redstate.com, who doesn't have a lot of tolerance for conservatives who are for Ron Paul and/or against the war.
:lol: :lol:

Dude you really do like a good conspiracy theory don't you? :lol:

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Very familar with Tech Bear - internet friend :)

Yup, he was a victim as well. Good discription of what happened.

And it is anyone that disagrees with the Obama party line - the main howling is from progressives, lefties, and GLBT. For all the howling from the right, Obama is very corporatist.

travelinman67
Supporter
Supporter

Post by travelinman67 »

dbackjon wrote:

Rush doesn't speak for the party...despite what the media portrays.

Yes, there are bigots in the Republican party, but as Ursus pointed out...you're better off knowing where a person stands, than placing your trust in someone who seeks your trust, then turns on you and betrays your trust once they have what they want.

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

This thread reminds me of this quote

"Politics and issues may come and go, but in the end, we'll all be remembered for the way we treated other people." --Morris K. Udall

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

BTW, Pwns - how did you come across TechBear's blog?

travelinman67
Supporter
Supporter

Post by travelinman67 »

dbackjon wrote:
BTW...let me know if you need references for any Obamabot material... :lol:

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

dbackjon wrote:BTW, Pwns - how did you come across TechBear's blog?
I wanted to try and find the thread (if it wasn't deleted) so I googled the title and came across that.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Pwns wrote:
dbackjon wrote:BTW, Pwns - how did you come across TechBear's blog?
I wanted to try and find the thread (if it wasn't deleted) so I googled the title and came across that.
OK - yup, it was deleted like a minute after I posted it

bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bobbythekidd »

This just proves the old adage; Democrats are liars from head to toe, Republicans lie from the toes up.

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

bobbythekidd wrote:This just proves the old adage; Democrats are liars from head to toe, Republicans lie from the toes up.
Very sage post - a good way to hit 1,000!

Ursus A. Horribilis
Chili w/Beans
Chili w/Beans

BlueHen86 wrote:
Maybe the post contained bad syntax. Syntax errors can be a major reason for bannings and deleted posts.
:lol: I should have seen that coming, but I ddin't.

BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:
:lol: I should have seen that coming, but I ddin't.
The unfairness of it all makes me sick to my stomach. The thought of people getting banned just because they expressed their views on a message board makes me want to ralph.

TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

while i disagree with your banning, i can't say i'm surprised... DU really has little to do with mainstream Democratic thinking. added to that would be that it's kinda the political equivalent of *** in terms of overmodding anyway...

you and i can quibble for days and days about obama spending all of his political capital on glbt rights in 100 days... i agree the mixed messages on da/dt are frustrating... but expecting the newly-elected president to hand his political opponents a potent fundraising and candidate recruiting tool 100 days in to his presidency by bringing the repeal of DOMA to the floor of the House really serves to undermine everything else he is tasked with doing/fixing.

political capital is a finite resource, you can build it, you can spend it... but once it's gone... it makes doing business harder...

i recognize the frustration in being asked to "wait" for equality... i realize it's unfair, but as I've said in other places and at other times... focus on winning the war, don't get wrapped up in the individual battles.
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Unfortunately, DU is trying to become "mainstream".

It is suffering from the curse of a once underground site that became popular trying to go mass-market, and getting rid of the "undesirable" elements.

Wedgebuster
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNC BEARS
A.K.A.: OB55

Post by Wedgebuster »

Wanna get even, simply poop 'em. Yup, you heard me right, poop 'em. Closest thing to nuclear attack on a personal level that is practically undetectable, and damn near as fatal.

Poop 'em, I say. Need to know details, PM me.

I shit you not!