US SOCCER

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: US SOCCER

Post by GannonFan »

I agree, I'm not worried. I'd be more worried if the old guys with lots of caps who kept getting beat on the world stage were somehow holding onto their jobs. At least this shows that the young guys are finally stepping up, especially at the defensive end, and replacing the older guys who aren't getting it done. Change is good. :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

MSUDuo wrote:That's only WC qualifying caps.
True. I must have assumed total caps for the USMNT.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Tied 1-1 w/ 19 minutes left in regulation.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Terrible defense by the US makes it 2-1 Honduras w/ 10 minutes left.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

89Hen wrote:
EPJr wrote:U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (World Cup qualifying Caps/Goals)

DEFENDERS (9) :
Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City - 0/0),
Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander - 31/5),
Geoff Cameron (Stoke City - 5/0),
Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana - 0/0),
Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg - 0/0),
Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders - 0/0),
Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy - 0/0),
Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim - 3/0),
Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg - 3/0)
So a guy with 5 caps is one of the veterans. Anyone else worried? :shock:
∞∞∞ wrote:Terrible defense by the US makes it 2-1 Honduras w/ 10 minutes left.
Ahem.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Typical US Soccer as of late. Play like crap, lose games you shouldn't lose, and hope to make it up through some big wins later in qualifying. Howard didn't do a good job on that last goal either and he's a world class keeper playing in the Premiership and has boatloads of caps as well. Just not inspiring watching this team play - 30+ years into the youth soccer explosion in the US and we still play like crap at the national level against soccer pygmies. Jurgen is stealing money right now.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
EPJr
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: VCU/A-10
A.K.A.: BigE

Post by EPJr »

The 2013 CONCACAF Under-20 Championship is an association football tournament that is scheduled to take place in February and March in 2013. The CONCACAF U-20 Championship will determine the four CONCACAF teams that participated at the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup to be held in Turkey.

The North American teams again qualified automatically for the finals. (US, MX, CA)
Central America received four berths (Costa Rica, El Salvador, Panama, Nicaragua)
the Caribbean received five. (Haiti, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Curaçao)

The draw for the group stage was made on 21 November 2012

Group A: US, Costa Rica, Haiti
Group B: CA, Cuba, Nicaragua
Group C: Jamaica, Panama, Puerto Rico
Group D: MX, El Salvador, Curaçao

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_CONCA ... ampionship
EPJr
Level2
Level2

Post by EPJr »

U-20s: US top Costa Rica 1-0, secure first place in Group A

A 63rd minute header from LA Galaxy forward Jose Villarreal was enough to see the US U-20 national team to a 1-0 win over Costa Rica, allowing them to secure top spot in Group A of the CONCACAF U-20 Championship.

The US, without opening game hero Daniel Cuevas in the starting lineup and featuring a reworked defensive line including first-time starter Juan Pablo Ocegueda at left back, looked tenative in the opening stagees, matching the look of their Costa Rica counterparts, who lacked the incisiveness that gave the Americans so much trouble against Haiti

Both teams had free kick opportunities centrally just outside the opposition area, but neither was able to convert. Nor was either team able to create much penetration, largely relying on shots from distance, few of which hit the target.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... lace-group

U-20s: Canada top Nicaragua 5-1, will face US for WC spot

PUEBLA, Mexico – It’s going to be Canada against the United States for a spot in the 2013 FIFA Under-20 World Cup after Canada soundly beat Nicaragua 5-1 in the decisive Group B finale of the CONCACAF U-20 Championships.

Vancouver Whitecaps FC forward Caleb Clarke led the way with a pair of goals, with the Canadians also getting goals from Samuel Piette, Mauro Eustaquio and Ben McKendry.

The scoreline could've been much higher as Canada hit the crossbar twice in the first half and had spurned chance after chance in the second half as well.

The result saw Canada finish second in Group B behind Cuba, and they will face their regional foes on Tuesday night after the Americans beat Costa Rica 1-0 earlier Friday to finish atop Group A.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... us-wc-spot
http://www.a10talk.com/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Atlantic10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://twitter.com/atlantic10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

EPJr
Level2
Level2

Post by EPJr »

U-20s:
US top Cuba 2-0, await possible final date with Mexico

The US Under-20 national team is headed back to the final of the CONCACAF U-20 Championship for the second time in four years, and a titanic matchup with Mexico may be in the cards next.

Thanks to goals from Mario Rodriguez and Daniel Cuevas inside the first quarter-hour, the Americans easily dispatched Cuba 2-0 in Friday's semifinal in Puebla, Mexico, three days after securing a spot in this summer's FIFA U-20 World Cup.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... ate-mexico" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EPJr
Level2
Level2

Post by EPJr »

Canada, US U-17s learn draw for next month's
CONCACAF U-17 Championship

The United States and Canada were handed tricky, but achievable roads to the FIFA U-17 World Cup on Tuesday as CONCACAF held the draw for next month's U-17 Championship, the qualifying tournament for this fall's big show.

GROUP A
host country Panama
Jamaica
Barbados

GROUP B
Canada
Costa Rica
Trinidad & Tobago

GROUP C
USA
Guatemala
Haiti

GROUP D
Mexico
Honduras
Cuba
The CONCACAF U-17 Championship runs April 6-9 at Estadio Rommel Fernández in Panama City and Estadio Agustín “Muquita” Sánchez in La Chorrera. A full tournament schedule can be found on CONCACAF's website.

http://www.concacaf.com/staticFiles/4c/ ... 020,00.pdf
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

Anybody watch last nights game? Played in Denver is a snowstorm. US wins 1-0 over Costa Rica. Costa Rica (which is spanish for 'cry baby') is protesting the result.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/13859 ... es?cc=5901

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BlueHen86 wrote:Costa Rica (which is spanish for 'cry baby') is protesting the result.
A bitch move for a bitch sport.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

93henfan wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:Costa Rica (which is spanish for 'cry baby') is protesting the result.
Especially since they seemed to want to play. The game was stopped at 55 minutes because of the weather. Players from both sides seemed to be arguing to continue the game. It is a bitch move.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

BlueHen86 wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Especially since they seemed to want to play. The game was stopped at 55 minutes because of the weather. Players from both sides seemed to be arguing to continue the game. It is a bitch move.
Yeah I have to assume this will be a tough protest to win by Costa Rica considering the players looked like they wanted to play and seemed to tell the refs this.

For those who didn't watch the game, I am surprised that they didn't stop the game for no other reason than it seems like the officials could not see the game enough to see the fouls. The blizzard was that bad for visibility.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

They tried too about the 55 minute mark....the players and coaches from both teams convinced them to keep playing.

The field really wasn't unsafe.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

BlueHen86 wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Complete bitch move.

They wanted to keep playing because they had gotten some real good attacks at that point and had some momentum....they lost now their pissed.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

clenz wrote:They tried too about the 55 minute mark....the players and coaches from both teams convinced them to keep playing.

The field really wasn't unsafe.
Completely agree. It was not unsafe and they definitely tried at 55 minute mark. Both sides (at least the players) said let's play it. If the coach was that much against it at that point, he could have gotten the game suspended. Too late now.

Costa Rica absolutely had momentum late in the game and even had a goal called back (good but close offsides call).

Oh well, we are in 2nd place in the hexagonal going to Mexico on Tuesday. Hope we can get a point there
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

clenz wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:
Complete bitch move.

They wanted to keep playing because they had gotten some real good attacks at that point and had some momentum....they lost now their pissed.
Exactly. If the field is that bad, just walk off and refuse to play.
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

FIFA rejected the appeal, the win over Costa Rica stands.

The game at Mexico starts in a few minutes, things will get really ugly for Mexican soccer if they don't win this game. They have 2 draws so far, a 0-0 tie at home against Jamaica, and a 2-2 tie at Honduras last Friday. They were outplayed by Jamaica and blew a 2-0 lead in the last 20 minutes at Honduras. Even if they lose tonight I still think they qualify for the World Cup, but I'd love to see their fans go apeshit if they start off with no wins in the first three games.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BlueHen86 wrote:FIFA rejected the appeal, the win over Costa Rica stands.

The game at Mexico starts in a few minutes, things will get really ugly for Mexican soccer if they don't win this game. They have 2 draws so far, a 0-0 tie at home against Jamaica, and a 2-2 tie at Honduras last Friday. They were outplayed by Jamaica and blew a 2-0 lead in the last 20 minutes at Honduras. Even if they lose tonight I still think they qualify for the World Cup, but I'd love to see their fans go apeshit if they start off with no wins in the first three games.
To hell with that... I'd love to see their fans apeshit because they lost to the US.

Sent from the center of the universe.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
MSUDuo
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Missouri State University

Post by MSUDuo »

CID1990 wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:FIFA rejected the appeal, the win over Costa Rica stands.

To hell with that... I'd love to see their fans apeshit because they lost to the US.

Amen! Need to get the first one ever at Azteca
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Home from work just in time to catch second half

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

MSUDuo wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Amen! Need to get the first one ever at Azteca
After the illegals packing the stadium booed the National Anthem in LA... I hope Mexico never wins a game. Ever. FVCK them.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

15 corners. Jesus. Credit where credit is due though, the defense bent but never folded. I wish the US didn't play not to lose, but whatever, I'll take the point out of Azteca any day.