2021 Little League World Series

All other sports including pro, high school and more!

Who will win the 2021 LLWS?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:15 am

Lafayette, LA (Southwest)
No votes
Abilene, Texas (Southwest)
No votes
Nolensville, Tenn. (Southeast)
No votes
Palm City, Fla. (Southeast)
No votes
Manchester, CT (New England)
No votes
Hooksett, NH (New England)
No votes
Honolulu, Hawaii (West)
11%
Torrance, Calif. (West)
33%
Sioux Falls, SD (Midwest) / Hastings, Neb. (Midwest)
22%
Oaks, Penn. (Mid-Atlantic)
11%
Toms River, N.J. (Mid-Atlantic)
11%
Taylor, Mich. (Great Lakes)
No votes
Westside, Ohio (Great Lakes)
No votes
Eastlake, Wash. (Northwest)
11%
Lake Oswego (Northwest)
No votes

Total votes: 9

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: 2021 Little League World Series

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:03 am Just guessing on the basis of baseball skills, Mr. Moral Majority.
Nope, you missed it.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:05 am
Ivytalk wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:03 am Just guessing on the basis of baseball skills, Mr. Moral Majority.
Nope, you missed it.
Not the first time.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I think the favorites now have to be Abilene, TX. Their female catcher is dominating opposing pitching and making people think of Rickey Henderson on the basepaths. Ella Bruning singled in the second, advanced to second on a walk, then took third and home on wild pitches. Later in the game, she collected another base hit, and an RBI along with it, becoming only the third girl in LLWS history with a multiple-hit game.

Abilene is a first-time city, but they're going to win....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... FaffXOntEE

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

PA with a quick exit. Shocked. I thought they would be one of the better teams.
Hawaii looks strong as expected.
South Dakota looks really great so far.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Did they give the Jersey kids Italian colors on purpose?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:58 am I think the favorites now have to be Abilene, TX. Their female catcher is dominating opposing pitching and making people think of Rickey Henderson on the basepaths. Ella Bruning singled in the second, advanced to second on a walk, then took third and home on wild pitches. Later in the game, she collected another base hit, and an RBI along with it, becoming only the third girl in LLWS history with a multiple-hit game.

Abilene is a first-time city, but they're going to win....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... FaffXOntEE
No offense, but if the player wasn't a girl would you have even noticed?

Obviously, the real favorites are the two teams from the West (Hawaii and California) and now Michigan and South Dakota. The Gavin Weir kid for South Dakota is pretty good - besides the game winning 3 run home run yesterday, he threw a no-hitter in his first LLWS start, which followed him throwing a no-hitter and a perfect game in the regional tournament. I imagine he's getting the start tomorrow against the California team so that should be a good matchup.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:56 am Did they give the Jersey kids Italian colors on purpose?
:lol: :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:07 am No offense, but if the player wasn't a girl would you have even noticed?
Nope. It's really cool that she's performing well, but considering girls develop earlier than boys, the rare 12 year old girl should be able to compete pretty well once in a while.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I missed it, but according to the news last night, Bruning stole a base. I just saw an article stating that during the regional round, she even went out to the mound as struck out two. Look out for her! Abilene plays Toms River in an elimination game tomorrow....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:00 am I missed it, but according to the news last night, Bruning stole a base. I just saw an article stating that during the regional round, she even went out to the mound as struck out two. Look out for her! Abilene plays Toms River in an elimination game tomorrow....
That game is today, 3PM (ET).
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:00 am I missed it, but according to the news last night, Bruning stole a base. I just saw an article stating that during the regional round, she even went out to the mound as struck out two. Look out for her! Abilene plays Toms River in an elimination game tomorrow....
Was it a straight steal or was it mishandled or got by the catcher and she took a base? I don't think I've seen anyone steal a base at the LLWS in quite a while - field is just too small for stealing. Normally it takes a mishandle by the catcher for someone to take a base, or just a flat out wild pitch.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:30 am
Was it a straight steal or was it mishandled or got by the catcher and she took a base? I don't think I've seen anyone steal a base at the LLWS in quite a while - field is just too small for stealing. Normally it takes a mishandle by the catcher for someone to take a base, or just a flat out wild pitch.
See the vid above I posted. Dropped ball by catcher.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:32 am

I saw that one, hence the question. But that video was from the first game, SH said something about getting a steal yesterday. Just curious.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:33 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:32 am

I saw that one, hence the question. But that video was from the first game, SH said something about getting a steal yesterday. Just curious.
That's what was stated on the news broadcast I saw. It could be that she got box score credit for a steal that was prompted by the catcher's drop. I still think that's a good thing because it shows that her head was in the game and she was thinking. If she'd been daydreaming, the catcher could have dropped the ball, picked it up, and then picked her off....

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

NJ was eliminated yesterday.
The field is cut down to 8:
OH
HI
NH
MI
SD
CA
NE
TX

Interesting that 4 flyovers and a northeast team are still alive.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CAA Flagship wrote:NJ was eliminated yesterday.
OH
HI
NH
MI
SD
CA
NE
TX

This might be the only time I root for a SD team to win.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:50 am NJ was eliminated yesterday.
OH
HI
NH
MI
SD
CA
NE
TX

Baseball is dead in the South ;)
:thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

How is my SD team doing?

EDIT: I actually looked it up. Seems like HI has the best bats and SD has the best arms. Fuck Hawaii though. Those kids live in paradise. Really pulling for those little bastards from Shithole Falls, SD.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:01 am How is my SD team doing?

EDIT: I actually looked it up. Seems like HI has the best bats and SD has the best arms. Fuck Hawaii though. Those kids live in paradise. Really pulling for those little bastards from Shithole Falls, SD.
Weir's done for the tournament unless it gets bad weather and they have to move the title game to after Sunday. They do have some other pitchers on that team but obviously none are as dominant as Weir, who might be the most dominant Little League pitcher ever. Kid only gave up 1 hit during all of the Little League playoffs, from districts all the way to Williamsport. And his K/BB ratio was something like 114 to 4. Crazy. Apparently he's been playing up with 14 year olds all year (on full size fields) so he's only pitched at this distance this summer. Does remind you again about how Little League really needs to move the pitchers mound back - 11 and 12 year olds shouldn't be pitching from 46 ft.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:01 am Really pulling for those little bastards from Shithole Falls, SD.
Rural lite rooting for rural. :poke:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I think you are correct, GF. Just tried to look up the box score. It's not coming up directly, but her stat page shows no steals. I suspect that she advanced on either a wild pitch or a passed ball, but I can't get verification of that.

Her stats, particularly early in the tournament, look pretty good. Her overall BA for the tournament is .333 with only two strikeouts, and her OPS is almost .800. Not the dominant player I thought she was, but certainly good enough to start on a decent team. Defensively, she was perfect with two assists and 29 put-outs; no errors. Sounds like the old-school defensive backstop who can occasionally drive in a run or two and provide a little speed on the bases when the defense screws up....

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:34 pm

I think you are correct, GF. Just tried to look up the box score. It's not coming up directly, but her stat page shows no steals. I suspect that she advanced on either a wild pitch or a passed ball, but I can't get verification of that.

Her stats, particularly early in the tournament, look pretty good. Her overall BA for the tournament is .333 with only two strikeouts, and her OPS is almost .800. Not the dominant player I thought she was, but certainly good enough to start on a decent team. Defensively, she was perfect with two assists and 29 put-outs; no errors. Sounds like the old-school defensive backstop who can occasionally drive in a run or two and provide a little speed on the bases when the defense screws up....
I think she's better defensively as a catcher than I do as her as a hitter. You don't notice her at all at the plate or on the basis, but you do notice her defensively.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Taylor, MI will face the winner of Hamilton, OH and Torrance, CA after they beat Abilene, TX 15-6. Disappointing....

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:38 pm Taylor, MI will face the winner of Hamilton, OH and Torrance, CA after they beat Abilene, TX 15-6. Disappointing....
Michigan plays Hawaii now. The winner of the Ohio/California game plays South Dakota. Everything is single elimination from here on out.