The Case for Sports to Resume

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: The Case for Sports to Resume

Post by SuperHornet »

I just heard from one of my fellow track coaches today that we might be done for NEXT year, too. NOT happy about that....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Rumor today is that NHL will return without fans in June or July at four sites.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:32 pm I just heard from one of my fellow track coaches today that we might be done for NEXT year, too. NOT happy about that....
There are ways to do this safely for the kids who play these sports. Would be a shame to cancel a couple of years of sports when the risks can be mitigated. Screw the professionals, I'm talking about the kids here.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:49 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:32 pm I just heard from one of my fellow track coaches today that we might be done for NEXT year, too. NOT happy about that....
There are ways to do this safely for the kids who play these sports. Would be a shame to cancel a couple of years of sports when the risks can be mitigated. Screw the professionals, I'm talking about the kids here.
Agreed.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Governor Roy Cooper gives tentative approval for NASCAR to hold the Coca Cola 600 in Charlotte at the end of May. Assuming things progress with the virus. No fans though.

So now we have two sports potentially returning to TV, Golf and NASCAR. I don't watch either. It's a start though.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Our paper ran a story yesterday about Athletic.net running virtual meets this spring. Track athletes sign up themselves, and use a GPS-enabled device to register their race. This seems to run similar to an NRA-style postal shooting match, except it's done online. The focus of the article was on distance runners, as many of them were recording their races on the streets. Might be kinda hard to do a sprint or hurdle race under COVID conditions, and field events would be worse. The nice thing for these distance runners, though, is that these are additional times for college coaches to see; this is perhaps a scholarship opportunity if people play their cards right....

https://www.lodinews.com/sports/article ... d6faf.html

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:25 pm Our paper ran a story yesterday about Athletic.net running virtual meets this spring. Track athletes sign up themselves, and use a GPS-enabled device to register their race. This seems to run similar to an NRA-style postal shooting match, except it's done online. The focus of the article was on distance runners, as many of them were recording their races on the streets. Might be kinda hard to do a sprint or hurdle race under COVID conditions, and field events would be worse. The nice thing for these distance runners, though, is that these are additional times for college coaches to see; this is perhaps a scholarship opportunity if people play their cards right....

https://www.lodinews.com/sports/article ... d6faf.html
My middle son is a rising high school freshman (going into 9th grade in the fall) and he's a runner and he's already signed up for a virtual 3200M event over the weekend. Same thing, honor system, you log your run and then post it on the race's website. I've seen a lot of 5K's are going this route as well for now.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

NHL getting really close to announcing a return. Lots of rumors about what that will look like. Could be a 24 team playoff.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Aggies aiming for football and a full Kyle Field by fall

COLLEGE STATION — Texas A&M chancellor John Sharp has declared that A&M and its 10 affiliated campuses across the state will reopen to students this fall. But will football also be on tap at Kyle Field?

According to Sharp, fans can expect to catch the Aggies in action this fall despite the current coronavirus pandemic....
Other Texas schools plan on opening to students this fall.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas- ... 238630.php

The deep south is going to be ready to play football this fall. Let them play. They win the Nat title almost every year anyway (13 of the last 14. 10 SEC + Clempson 2X and Free Shoes once.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:50 pm
Aggies aiming for football and a full Kyle Field by fall

COLLEGE STATION — Texas A&M chancellor John Sharp has declared that A&M and its 10 affiliated campuses across the state will reopen to students this fall. But will football also be on tap at Kyle Field?

According to Sharp, fans can expect to catch the Aggies in action this fall despite the current coronavirus pandemic....

The deep south is going to be ready to play football this fall. Let them play. They win the Nat title almost every year anyway (13 of the last 14. 10 SEC + Clempson 2X and Free Shoes once.
Harvard already said they're planning on having kids on campus in the fall - didn't say anything about sports, but they said they are planning on kids on campus. As Harvard goes so tends to go the rest of the nation. Colleges are staring down the financial abyss if they don't get kids on campus so I'd put the positive money on that happening in the fall. And if the SEC can play football they will.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:22 am

Harvard already said they're planning on having kids on campus in the fall - didn't say anything about sports, but they said they are planning on kids on campus. As Harvard goes so tends to go the rest of the nation. Colleges are staring down the financial abyss if they don't get kids on campus so I'd put the positive money on that happening in the fall. And if the SEC can play football they will.
Ye$, that i$ correct, $ir. $afety fir$t.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:50 am

If we want to be absolutely safe, no one should ever leave their house ever. Once we all agree that's not going to happen, it's just measures of increasing danger with every activity we do. Heck, I'm getting to the age where getting up too fast after waking up in the morning puts me in danger of a heart attack. I debate every morning if I should take the risk or not (btw, I made it through that today and am safely at work contributing to the tax base, thank goodness!)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:54 am
93henfan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:50 am
If we want to be absolutely safe, no one should ever leave their house ever. Once we all agree that's not going to happen, it's just measures of increasing danger with every activity we do. Heck, I'm getting to the age where getting up too fast after waking up in the morning puts me in danger of a heart attack. I debate every morning if I should take the risk or not (btw, I made it through that today and am safely at work contributing to the tax base, thank goodness!)
Being safe at work is different from being safe in a stadium with thousands of people. I don't see games being held in front of fans if safety is a consideration. I also don't see how a school that is not having live classes can ask student athletes to come to campus to practice.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA yahoos - putting the Q into qrazy qanon conspiracy theories since 2015.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Same with UOP. Again, no mention of sports.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:03 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:54 am

Being safe at work is different from being safe in a stadium with thousands of people. I don't see games being held in front of fans if safety is a consideration. I also don't see how a school that is not having live classes can ask student athletes to come to campus to practice.
I was thinking more of just having classes on campus with students - that's the first step. I think that's the part that looks like being safe at work - wear masks, check temperatures, try to maintain social distancing. It's not as perfect as hiding in your house but it's a start. Yeah, I don't know how they have sports at this point, but schools are going to need to have kids on campus in the fall or it's going to be a financial bloodbath. Granted, some of the smaller/crappier college probably need to close anyway - there's certainly a culling of the herd of bad colleges that should happen - but even the big boys are going to get hit. Michigan said they stand to lose as much as $1B if they don't have school open in the fall - yes, I typed a B there.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:55 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:03 am
I was thinking more of just having classes on campus with students - that's the first step. I think that's the part that looks like being safe at work - wear masks, check temperatures, try to maintain social distancing. It's not as perfect as hiding in your house but it's a start. Yeah, I don't know how they have sports at this point, but schools are going to need to have kids on campus in the fall or it's going to be a financial bloodbath. Granted, some of the smaller/crappier college probably need to close anyway - there's certainly a culling of the herd of bad colleges that should happen - but even the big boys are going to get hit. Michigan said they stand to lose as much as $1B if they don't have school open in the fall - yes, I typed a B there.
:thumb:

If classes are online and you're an incoming freshman, why not ask for deferred admission? You can take most of your gen-ed classes online at a community college and transfer the credits for a fraction of the cost. It gets a little more difficult to do that the further along you are in your studies though.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA yahoos - putting the Q into qrazy qanon conspiracy theories since 2015.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:08 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:55 am

:thumb:

If classes are online and you're an incoming freshman, why not ask for deferred admission? You can take most of your gen-ed classes online at a community college and transfer the credits for a fraction of the cost. It gets a little more difficult to do that the further along you are in your studies though.
That's what they will do - foreign students won't bother flying in and domestic students will either take a gap year and work or like you said go deferred admission. And colleges know this, and know if that happens they'll never get that money back (money from tuition, fees, room and board, etc) so they will move mountains to get kids on campus in the fall. For some schools it's do that or don't open up again ever (i.e. fold).
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

They should just let sports resume. People that are at risk from COVID-19 know who they are and what to do. Just let the sports play on as usual.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

The only sport I REALLY care about is returning at 10:50 for me this morning on this tee box...

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:55 pm They should just let sports resume. People that are at risk from COVID-19 know who they are and what to do. Just let the sports play on as usual.
Is this a new Gil or are you being sarcastic?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:25 am sarcastic
:nod:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:25 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:55 pm They should just let sports resume. People that are at risk from COVID-19 know who they are and what to do. Just let the sports play on as usual.
I've always said cautious, you just thought cautious was something else. Why do all the Mickey Mouse crap with people that don't care if they get sick. The one's that want to stay safe, are smart enough to know what to do.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:55 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:25 am

I've always said cautious, you just thought cautious was something else. Why do all the Mickey Mouse crap with people that don't care if they get sick. The one's that want to stay safe, are smart enough to know what to do.
You haven't said that, you said we needed to be below some number (whether cases or deaths or something) before we should even consider going back. I've said we should be cautious but that we already knew what cautious looked like back in early April. We've known for weeks how to do this cautiously. You said awhile ago at least until the end of May to start opening up. I said why? Still the case now - we know what to do and can do it now so we should.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:40 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:55 am

You haven't said that, you said we needed to be below some number (whether cases or deaths or something) before we should even consider going back. I've said we should be cautious but that we already knew what cautious looked like back in early April. We've known for weeks how to do this cautiously. You said awhile ago at least until the end of May to start opening up. I said why? Still the case now - we know what to do and can do it now so we should.
Making up shit again. I said I could see the end of May, and I also said I could see the end of April. Never said I had a solid date. Sure I threw some numbers up during the conversation, nothing written in stone. Cautious is relative and everyone sees cautious in a different way. After seeing how this virus mainly affects the vulnerable, it makes sense just open things up and let those of us with vulnerable family, continue to shelter in place. I really understood comments by the LT Governor of Texas as not having any caution, no shelter in place options for vulnerable people, etc. Let's eat grandma.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Why not just limit fandom in attendance to those under 55? There, problem solved.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12