Football Championship Subdivision discussions
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Worst call your coach ever made??

Post by CatMom »

Hands down - 2005 semi-final game against UNI.

Tied 37-37 with 1:25 left and we had the ball on the 45. The team that could do no wrong all year with our all everything QB and damned good offense was told to "TAKE A FUCKING KNEE AND LET THE CLOCK RUN OUT!!!!"

Our all universe PK needed what? 20 yards? The coach didn't trust the team that had gone that far? He played for the OT, he said so.

BTW - our current HC was the AC and he argued with Bailiff to "Go for broke".. he wouldn't. I mean WTF?
Last edited by CatMom on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Worst call your coach ever made??

Post by dbackjon »

That is a bad call...
:thumb:
SUUTbird
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Southern Utah
A.K.A.: SUU T-Birds

Post by SUUTbird »

Worst call for me...wouldnt be for SUU it would definetly would have to be my HS game my senior year. Playing the top team in the state we are losing 20-14 with 1:32 left on their 10 1st and goal. After we have been running the ball down their throats all night our coach calls a pass play, fly to the endzone. Its incomplete. Our coach then proceeded to call the VERY SAME PLAY THE PLAY AFTER THE INCOMPLETION! Result, interception my season was over.

Now for SUU...it would have to definetly be the hiring of Wes Meier, a high school coach that immiedietly became the head coach at SUU. The end result, several losing seasons in a row :evil: .
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

SUUTbird wrote:Worst call for me...wouldnt be for SUU it would definetly would have to be my HS game my senior year. Playing the top team in the state we are losing 20-14 with 1:32 left on their 10 1st and goal. After we have been running the ball down their throats all night our coach calls a pass play, fly to the endzone. Its incomplete. Our coach then proceeded to call the VERY SAME PLAY THE PLAY AFTER THE INCOMPLETION! Result, interception my season was over.

Now for SUU...it would have to definetly be the hiring of Wes Meier, a high school coach that immiedietly became the head coach at SUU. The end result, several losing seasons in a row :evil: .

Mine is not too much different that t-birds, but mine is Weber State in the 2008 tounament vs Montana. Trevyn Smith, your best weapon is having a great day, Montana cant stop him, and twice he gets Weber down in the redzone, and what does Weber do? They go away from the run and pass pass pass, 3 and out field goal. That happened twice. If we would have used Trevyn Smith then We would have scored 14 points.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

We need some Furman fans to post on this thread. :lol:
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Leeeeeeroy Jeeeenkins

Post by JMU DJ »

4th and 1 vs App St in the 2007 playoffs... should have at least attempted the field goal and been done with it... but no, lets give the Mountaineers their chance for three straight. THANKS MICKY!
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

AshevilleApp wrote:We need some Furman fans to post on this thread. :lol:
I've never really understood why that was a bad call. It was just a freak play.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
ChetSteadman
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mustangs
A.K.A.: Rocket

Post by ChetSteadman »

Pwns wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:We need some Furman fans to post on this thread. :lol:
I've never really understood why that was a bad call. It was just a freak play.
It's a bad call because it was completely unnecessary. There was virtually no time remaining, all BL had to do was kick the extra point and then squib the subsequent kickoff. It would have left ASU with a 50-60 hail mary to win the game. The odds of connecting on that play would have been almost as high as running an intercepted 2-point conversion back 100 yards.

I'm quite thankful that Bobby is still coaching at Furman, and I hope that he stays for plenty more years. ASU has had quite a good amount of luck with BL at the helm over the past few seasons!
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

I am sure there are a few BOBCAT fans that would post some from last season.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

Not allowing our punter to get in the AppSt v Western debacle/"stoning of a flightless auk" that was the 2007 game. I believe the final was 89-35 and he was the only AppSt player who didn't get inthe game....
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
Purple For Life
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by Purple For Life »

The last couple of minutes in that game this year versus Richmond. Ugh.

Both my favorite football teams lost this year in epic fashion at the last part of the game. Sucks.
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

I refuse to answer that question considering I wouldn't be posting anything you all don't already know :oops:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

OL FU wrote:I refuse to answer that question considering I wouldn't be posting anything you all don't already know :oops:
spill it!
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

dbackjon wrote:
OL FU wrote:I refuse to answer that question considering I wouldn't be posting anything you all don't already know :oops:
spill it!
DBack, I imagine he's referring to.......

[youtube][/youtube]
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

SUUTbird wrote:Worst call for me...wouldnt be for SUU it would definetly would have to be my HS game my senior year. Playing the top team in the state we are losing 20-14 with 1:32 left on their 10 1st and goal. After we have been running the ball down their throats all night our coach calls a pass play, fly to the endzone. Its incomplete. Our coach then proceeded to call the VERY SAME PLAY THE PLAY AFTER THE INCOMPLETION! Result, interception my season was over.

I hear you on the high school football situation. Only I played 6 man, and my coach wanted to do nothing but run it up the gut. Hmmmm, only 6 guys on the field, and you want to run in the middle of them?!?! I asked him why we didn't load up one side and leave our state 200 meter guy (4th in state) to go one on one with his defender. I was told to shut up because I didn't make the plays. No wonder I learned crap about football in high school.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
mass fan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: umass

Post by mass fan »

Leaving to go coach special teams for the Dolphins? :(
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

CatMom wrote:Hands down - 2005 semi-final game against UNI.

Tied 37-37 with 1:25 left and we had the ball on the 45. The team that could do no wrong all year with our all everything QB and damned good offense was told to "TAKE A f**k[*] KNEE AND LET THE CLOCK RUN OUT!!!!"

Our all universe PK needed what? 20 yards? The coach didn't trust the team that had gone that far? He played for the OT, he said so.

BTW - our current HC was the AC and he argued with Bailiff to "Go for broke".. he wouldn't. I mean WTF?

CatMom,
BTW, you were my MILF boner fuel this morning when I woke up with a MAJOR five-alarmer. Had to start a new towel, it was like a Three Stooges pie fight under my comforter!

Anyway, my brother and I were at that game in San Marcos and we, too, could not believe him having the QB kneel down and go for overtime. Dodging batteries and loogies and insults of "purple pussies" back to our rented Mustang after the game-ending INT, we laughed it all off and shared some beer with some cool TXST fans, slycat and a couple others. Azzholes in the parking lot were putting their charcoal embers in garbage cans, which lit up the plastic liners causing them to smolder. WTF? It was like being in Baghdad. Or Youngstown.

Anyway, we talked about the kneel-down for years after that.

Edit: I think the kicker needed quite a bit more than 20 yards, Ma. From my recollection, TXST was on, at least, about the 35 or 40 going in.
putter
Level2
Level2

Post by putter »

Leaving to coach at Wyoming..... :lol: :shock:
‎"Born in other countries, yet believing you could be happy in this, our laws acknowledge, as they should do, your right to join us in society, conforming, as I doubt not you will do, to our established rules. That these rules shall be as equal as prudential considerations will admit, will certainly be the aim of our legislatures, general and particular." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Hugh White, 1801
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

Cap'n Cat wrote:
CatMom wrote:Hands down - 2005 semi-final game against UNI.

Tied 37-37 with 1:25 left and we had the ball on the 45. The team that could do no wrong all year with our all everything QB and damned good offense was told to "TAKE A f**k[*] KNEE AND LET THE CLOCK RUN OUT!!!!"

CatMom,
BTW, you were my MILF boner fuel this morning when I woke up with a MAJOR five-alarmer. Had to start a new towel, it was like a Three Stooges pie fight under my comforter!

Anyway, my brother and I were at that game in San Marcos and we, too, could not believe him having the QB kneel down and go for overtime. Dodging batteries and loogies and insults of "purple pussies" back to our rented Mustang after the game-ending INT, we laughed it all off and shared some beer with some cool TXST fans, slycat and a couple others. Azzholes in the parking lot were putting their charcoal embers in garbage cans, which lit up the plastic liners causing them to smolder. WTF? It was like being in Baghdad. Or Youngstown.

Anyway, we talked about the kneel-down for years after that.

Edit: I think the kicker needed quite a bit more than 20 yards, Ma. From my recollection, TXST was on, at least, about the 35 or 40 going in.

It was the 40 or 45, not the 35. Elof was an excellent PK and we needed the 35, 37 at the outside. He connected on quite a few long ones in 2005. He would have had the 35 easy. (I am not making this up.) Regardless, that team should've at least had the chance to get to that point. If they hadn't and it went to OT and they lost I could live with it.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

2002 Montana vs. Montana St.

-John Edwards is 1/19 in the 1st half.....1/19!!!!! Stud backup Brandon Neil doesn't even get looked at.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

That ended the streak.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

The first call he made to Rob Shoenhoft's house.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:The first call he made to Rob Shoenhoft's house.
Paging Rob Iola
Paging Rob Iola

Where the fcuk is Rob Iola, anyways?
Willie
Level4
Level4

Post by Willie »

High school. 1st round of the Class B state playoffs on our home field. we're down 9-8 with less than a minute to go. 1st and 10 on the 25 yard line. We throw, incomplete. We throw again, incomplete. At this point I'm questioning the calling since we had run for over 250 yards on the ground that day and our starting QB was down at this point with an elbow injury. So we have 3rd and 10 with 0:23 to go. Coach calls a timeout and tells me we're kicking a field goal. My longest on the season before this was 40 on senior night the week before so he had all the faith in the world. Wind blowing in my face, 42 yards out. Decent snap, bad hold, kick no good. They kneel it twice and we lose.

I took a lot of trash talk from locals saying I choked and told them to ask the coach about it.
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne