Football Championship Subdivision discussions
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Delaware State University looks to challenge for MEAC title

Post by YoUDeeMan »

DOVER -- How do you improve on your school's best football record in 15 years?

If you're Delaware State coach Al Lavan, you ask yourself some serious questions.

The Hornets' 8-3 record last season -- 6-2 in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference -- pushed the program to the brink of a share of the league championship. It was their best record since 1991.

Entering his fourth season at DSU, Lavan is trying to squeeze out one more victory this season, which could be the difference in qualifying for the program's first Football Championship Subdivision (formerly NCAA Division I-AA) postseason bid.

Full story below (if it asks you to register, it is only a few questions, nothing personal):

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs ... 002/SPORTS
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
xtremegriz
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Delaware State University looks to challenge for MEAC title

Post by xtremegriz »

Cluck U wrote:DOVER -- How do you improve on your school's best football record in 15 years?

If you're Delaware State coach Al Lavan, you ask yourself some serious questions.

The Hornets' 8-3 record last season -- 6-2 in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference -- pushed the program to the brink of a share of the league championship. It was their best record since 1991.

Entering his fourth season at DSU, Lavan is trying to squeeze out one more victory this season, which could be the difference in qualifying for the program's first Football Championship Subdivision (formerly NCAA Division I-AA) postseason bid.

Full story below (if it asks you to register, it is only a few questions, nothing personal):

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs ... 002/SPORTS
I think they will challenge for it too. The problem is that the MEAC is a kind of weak conference that the loser or the Hampton/Deleware State game probably won't get into the playoffs (no at-larges). I don't pay much attention to the MEAC, are there any other teams that could make a run for the conference. Best of luck to DSU and all MEAC teams.
MONTANA MONTANA STATE
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Re: Delaware State University looks to challenge for MEAC title

Post by YoUDeeMan »

Actually, South Carolina State has been picked by the coaches to win the MEAC this year. Hampton is picked for second, and DSU third.

But, DSU is a legitimate contender depending on how quickly they adjust to some new assistant coaches. DSU has a new Defensive Coordinator (he came over from Howard, who had the best D in the MEAC conference), so it will be interesting to see if they make the adjustments necessary to win.

Lavan is a solid coach and has been doing a great job progressing every year. We'll see if this is the year DSU makes it to the playoffs.

If they do, Delaware should be waiting for them in the first round.

BTW, if SCSt wins the MEAC, Hampton has a great season, and the rest of FCS is similar to last year, the committee might invite Hampton because of their name recognition. Heck, the OVC got two in last year, so the MEAC might this year.
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?