Richmond Spiders vs. UNI Panthers

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Richmond Spiders vs. UNI Panthers

Post by UNI88 »

Looks like this will be a great matchup of strength on strength.

UNI and Richmond both like to run, have mobile QBs who can make plays with their feet, and who can pass when they need to. Both have excellent defenses particularly their D-lines. Both are very good at creating turnovers.

Panthers won a nailbiter against a tough and underappreciated UNH team. The Spiders spanked the defending champs at the Rock so they're not intimidated by tough crowds.

Thoughts?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Richmond Spiders vs. UNI Panthers

Post by AZGrizFan »

I'm thinking Richmond was a one-hit wonder.

My money is on UNI in the dome.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

I do not have your thinking on Richmond being a one hit wonder AZGrizFan, but I do think that UNI will take this one at home. I would love for Richmond to meet up with the Griz in 'nooga but I don't think that will be the case. It will be UNI and JMU or Montana.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: New Hampshire
A.K.A.: UNHWildCats

Post by UNHWildCats »

GO SPIDERS
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:I'm thinking Richmond was a one-hit wonder.

My money is on UNI in the dome.
I don't think they're a one-hit wonder, but I do think they may be a little flat after Appy.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Far from being a one-hit wonder...Richmond goes to the dome and upsets UNI...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

UNI by 12+. Swattin' away CAA teams like gnats on the way to Chattanooga.

Lots of respect for Richmond. Thinking, however, that the Appy game was their Super Bowl.
Mountaineer
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Mountaineer »

I think the Panthers handle the Spiders. The Richmond defense is the real deal but I didn't find anything stellar about the offense. Ward was incredibly inconsistent in his passing game. Vaughn got his yards, but most came late in the second half when the ASU defense had been worn down.

Bum QB, 4th and 5th string running backs, 5 or so turnovers and we were still only down 10 heading into the fourth quarter. I believe we actually outgained the Spiders in total yards. :shock:

That said, they played a heck of a game and got it done in the end. Especially in the trenches with the line play. However, they're not invincible and I hope you Panther fans fill out the Dome this weekend. :D
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Post by D1B »

Mountaineer wrote:I think the Panthers handle the Spiders. The Richmond defense is the real deal but I didn't find anything stellar about the offense. Ward was incredibly inconsistent in his passing game. Vaughn got his yards, but most came late in the second half when the ASU defense had been worn down.

Bum QB, 4th and 5th string running backs, 5 or so turnovers and we were still only down 10 heading into the fourth quarter. I believe we actually outgained the Spiders in total yards. :shock:

That said, they played a heck of a game and got it done in the end. Especially in the trenches with the line play. However, they're not invincible and I hope you Panther fans fill out the Dome this weekend. :D
Good post and good to see you Mountaineer! Hope you stay and tell your friends. :mrgreen:
"Sarah Palin absolutely blew AWAY the audience tonight. If there was any doubt as to whether she was savvy enough, tough enough or smart enough to carry the mantle of Vice President, she put those fears to rest tonight. She took on Barack Obama DIRECTLY on every issue and exposed... She did it with warmth and humor, and came across as the every-person....it's becoming mroe and more clear that she was a genius pick for McCain."

AZGrizfan - Summer 2008
Mountaineer
Level2
Level2

Post by Mountaineer »

D1B wrote:Good post and good to see you Mountaineer! Hope you stay and tell your friends. :mrgreen:
My pleasure. :P First game I saw in the Dome was Stephen F. Austin back in 2004. I was lucky to get any time out of Sabin Hall. Hehe.

Hope to see ya'll loud and rockin' this weekend. The past two weekends of ASU crowds have been pathetic, and it sucks that it's over for the year. :(

Go Panthers!!

Oh yeah, tell some of the folks on Panther Nation to stop being douchebags when it comes to discussing Appalachian. I can't even visit any more becauase my blood starts to boil. :P :lol:
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Cap'n Cat »

Mountaineer wrote:
D1B wrote:Good post and good to see you Mountaineer! Hope you stay and tell your friends. :mrgreen:
My pleasure. :P First game I saw in the Dome was Stephen F. Austin back in 2004. I was lucky to get any time out of Sabin Hall. Hehe.

Hope to see ya'll loud and rockin' this weekend. The past two weekends of ASU crowds have been pathetic, and it sucks that it's over for the year. :(

Go Panthers!!

Oh yeah, tell some of the folks on Panther Nation to stop being douchebags when it comes to discussing Appalachian. I can't even visit any more becauase my blood starts to boil. :P :lol:

Fans are idiots everywhere. Forget 'em.
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

Mounty:

Just post this picture whenver they piss you off......

http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
Mountaineer
Level2
Level2

Post by Mountaineer »

Cap'n Cat wrote:
Fans are idiots everywhere. Forget 'em.
True that. We certainly have our fair share. :lol:
Appaholic wrote:Mounty:

Saved to the hard drive. :P It's a beautiful site to be sure. Thanks m'man. I think we should start a Crapsville Bar thread here in the Locker Room. I'm still bummed, but getting better. ;)
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Cap'n Cat »

Man, Appy, that pic don't piss me off. Good play in a good, close game.

:)
Purple For Life
Level2
Level2

Post by Purple For Life »

Spiders get exterminated.
Llamaguy
I am a fan of: JMU

Post by Llamaguy »

Mountaineer wrote:I think the Panthers handle the Spiders. The Richmond defense is the real deal but I didn't find anything stellar about the offense. Ward was incredibly inconsistent in his passing game. Vaughn got his yards, but most came late in the second half when the ASU defense had been worn down.

Damn man, you could be sitting in the middle of an earthquake and think you are in paradise with that rational! I don't think I've ever seen that many excuses in one Appy post all-time. I didn't hear anyone saying Appy was coming in wounded before the game when all were predicting Appy by 3 TDs. Oh well, there is always 2009. Better do what Richmond does and hit the weightroom. :D
Mountaineer
Level2
Level2

Post by Mountaineer »

Llamaguy wrote: Damn man, you could be sitting in the middle of an earthquake and think you are in paradise with that rational! I don't think I've ever seen that many excuses in one Appy post all-time. I didn't hear anyone saying Appy was coming in wounded before the game when all were predicting Appy by 3 TDs. Oh well, there is always 2009. Better do what Richmond does and hit the weightroom. :D
I never made a prediction publically, but I was thinking if ASU won that it would be in 3-7 point range. Certainly, nothing outrageous.

Hey, injuries are part of the game and we had some. Richmond still played lights out (especially on defense), and the Spiders are moving on with a well deserved victory. Not much else to be said.
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: New Hampshire
A.K.A.: UNHWildCats

Post by UNHWildCats »

Cap'n Cat wrote:UNI by 12+. Swattin' away CAA teams like gnats on the way to Chattanooga.

Lots of respect for Richmond. Thinking, however, that the Appy game was their Super Bowl.
Sorta like how the UNH game was supposed to be over by halftime
godukes
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: James Madison Dukes

Post by godukes »

Richmond will win this game. I am not impressed too much by UNI defense. 30-20 Spiders.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

This game is really to close to call in my mind. I'm hoping UNI can pull it out and then win in Chattanooga. They've paid their dues. Let 'em join the club.
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Cap'n Cat »

Not at all impressed with Richmond's offense. And, first time in a Dome in ????? if not forever. Hot, steamy, flat field, noise. They're cooked.

UNI 35
UR 12 - 4 FGs
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

Cap'n Cat wrote:

I'd say ou aren't the "average" UNI poster.....not knocking them or you, but I gotta believe that picture bothers some UNI fans about as much as a picture of Miller's illegal pass to Farris bothers us App fans.....

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Cap'n Cat »

Appaholic wrote:
Cap'n Cat wrote:

I'd say ou aren't the "average" UNI poster.....not knocking them or you, but I gotta believe that picture bothers some UNI fans about as much as a picture of Miller's illegal pass to Farris bothers us App fans.....

Small minds post those stupid pics. Small minds get pissed at them.
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Appaholic »

Cap'n Cat wrote:
Appaholic wrote: I'd say ou aren't the "average" UNI poster.....not knocking them or you, but I gotta believe that picture bothers some UNI fans about as much as a picture of Miller's illegal pass to Farris bothers us App fans.....

Small minds post those stupid pics. Small minds get pissed at them.
HEY!......hey.........ok

Purple For Life
Level2
Level2

Post by Purple For Life »

I'd be more bothered seeing a pic from last year's loss to Delaware. That one hurt more, probably because I was there. :( :cry: