Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 11-9

Post by JALMOND »

So we've reached the home stretch and things are beginning to clear, although Montana tried to muddle everything up again. This week, three teams play their last game of the year (ISU, PSU and UNC) and two teams (Sac State and WSU) play their last conference games. Montana still seems a lock for the playoff auto-bid, although after last week, I guess nothing is certain. What does need to be decided is if the conference will get any teams in the playoffs as at larges. This week's power rankings. All are my opinions and all are open for discussion. This week (last week).

1. Montana (1)---Hard to believe that for two months, one thing constant in this is that the Grizzlies are at the top spot. What is equally hard to believe is they almost threw it all away last week against lowly Idaho State. No one really even had been in danger to losing to the Bengals, yet the top dog Grizzlies made the game very interesting. Not that a loss would have hurt, but it could have made the final games mean more than they do. As it is, it gave hope to those teams the Grizzlies still have to play. This week, they welcome Northern Colorado, and what looked like a sure win a couple weeks ago now may be a struggle. But no danger, right?

2. Weber State (2)---Sometimes when things get a little hairy, it helps to have some time off to regroup and take stock as to where to go from here. The Wildcats had that luxury last week, taking some time off from the game routine and get set for the final run. What they have to do is simple, win first then hope. But first things first and that is at home against Northern Arizona. Can they get on the right track to begin with.

3. Eastern Washington (3)---Just like Weber State, the Eagles, too, had a bye and an opportunity to reassess where they are. As the NCAA lifted the postseason ban, the Eagles would most definitely like to be there. However, they have to figure out a way to move past Weber State, as the Wildcats beat the Eagles earlier in the year at Cheney. This week, they head out of conference, but still an important game at Southern Utah. They need an impressive win, can they do it?

4. Northern Arizona (4)---So the Jacks ventured into SEC country last week to play at Mississippi, and what they hoped was a good showing. A win, however nice, was not expected, just a good hard fought loss was realistic, and that was what they came home to. Now they are set to close out the conference and try to get back on track. However, they need wins. First up is a trip to Weber State. Not easy, but doable?

5. Montana State (5)---The rain and the cold put a damper on the Bobcats good offensive performance in the first half against Portland State, but the defense made sure it was enough. The Bobcats have had the Vikings' number in recent years and they gave the Vikings no chances to recover. Now they are poised to close out the year on a positive note. First up, they have to face a pesky Sacramento State team. Can they move on?

6. Sacramento State (6)---For the first half, the Hornets looked unstoppable against Northern Colorado, marching down the field virtually at will. Then, something happened and what was easy in the first half was not so easy in the second. Still, they were able to leave town with the win. What would be a relief would be to play a full game. Luckily, the Hornets have another opportunity as they head to Montana State to complete their conference slate. Can they close out conference play on a positive note?

7. Northern Colorado (7)---Facing almost insurmountable odds, the Bears staged a miraculous comeback against Sacramento State in the second half, yet fell short in the end. The damage that was done in the first half could not be overcome and a chance to make some noise in the conference fell by the wayside. This week, the Bears have to head up to top dog Montana. But, after last week, the Bears have to think they have a chance. But do they really?

8. Portland State (8)---The offensive woes continued for the Vikings in the rain and cold last week as they fell to Montana State. The defense tried to make some headway, yet the offense could not get going at all, and once again they found themselves on the short end. This week, they head to Idaho State and after all the recent problems on offense, they have a chance to go out with a win. But then again, after last week, it may not be so easy.

9. Idaho State (9)---Are the Bengals now brimming with confidence? Somehow, some way, there were these Bengals fighting tooth and nail with the big bad Montana squad, hoping to hang on for the win, only to lose it in the final minutes. They have to feel good, even with the loss. This week, they end the year at home, hosting Portland State, a team that is also struggling. However, after last week, the Bengals have confidence. But will that translate into a win?
the paw
I am a fan of: montana

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 11-9

Post by the paw »

first thanks for doing theses for i enjoy reading the "power rankings" more than "who" is going to win :nod: :thumb: . here is how i see it:

1. montana - played like crap and won the game 8-) . only good teams can do that, so if montana plays like that this week (not going to happen) then maybe someone else can grab the #1 ranking next week :thumbdown: :ohno: !

2. eastern washington - i think ewu is playing the best right now in the big sky :twocents: . they have something to play for and it starts this week :o . win out and the eagles will make the playoffs again :twocents: .

3. montana state - them bobcat have a defense that can stop anyone lately :twocents: . their a good over all team playing good football as of late and if ewu wins out msu will miss the playoff :| .

4. sacramento state - the bees' are playing good football and can beat any team in the big sky. lost too many games to matter anymore :nod: :twocents:

5. weber state - never got a chance too make the playoffs by playing two fbs teams :( . money or playoffs and money won :ohno: :twocents: .

6. northern arizona - this is going to be a good team next year barring injuries :thumb: again THATS next year :lol: :rofl:

7. northern colorado - hard team to figure they play good at times and real bad the next :? again, after this weekend "its wait till next year" :coffee: :rofl:

8. idaho state - they will win this weekend :thumb: . and if you watch much fcs football more than the box scores isu IS far from the worst team in the fcs.

9. portland state - is this the end of the road for jerry :cry: ? no sure how much more he has in the tank after losing so much, he's a good guy but portland state needs to go in a different direction :twocents: :nod: . this weekend will tell a lot :| !
native
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Weber State

Post by native »

Statistically, the most likely regular season finishes for the BSC second-place contenders are:

1. Weber beats NAU and Cal Poly at home to finish with 7 DI wins.

2. Eastern Washington loses at both Southern Utah and Northern Arizona to finish with 5 DI wins.

Note: I think EWU will beat the odds and win at least one of these two road games to finish with 6 DI wins.

3. Northern Arizona loses on the road wt Weber and beats Eastern Washington at home to finish with 6 DI wins.

4. Montana State beats Sac State and loses to Montana to finish with 6 DI wins.

Here are the predicted score differentials using this week's Sagarin ratings:

EWU 1 point underdog at SUU, 2 point underdog at NAU

NAU 3 point underdog at Weber, 2 point advantage hosting EWU

Weber 3 point advantage hosting NAU, 10 point advantage hosting Cal Poly

MSU is favored by more than 2 TDs over Sac State and is nearly a TD underdog at home against Montana.

ANY ONE OF THESE BIG SKY SECOND PLACE CONTENDERS WOULD BE FAVORED OVER ANY PATRIOT OR BIG SOUTH TEAM ON A NEUTRAL FIELD WITH A SINGLE EXCEPTION: LIBERTY HAS A SLIGHT EDGE OVER MONTANA STATE. THIS IS NOT BASED ON MY OPINION OR SUBJECTIVE POLLS, BUT COMPUTER ODDS BASED OBJECTIVELY ON THE RESULTS OF MORE THAN A THOUSAND GAMES INCLUDING LAFAYETTE'S LOSS TO LIBERTY AND LIBERTY'S LOSS TO JAMES MADISON. THE MAJOR POWER RATINGS ARE PRETTY DARNED ACCURATE BY THIS TIME OF THE SEASON.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

native wrote:Statistically, the most likely regular season finishes for the BSC second-place contenders are:

2. Eastern Washington loses at both Southern Utah and Northern Arizona to finish with 5 DI wins.

Note: I think EWU will beat the odds and win at least one of these two road games to finish with 6 DI wins.

3. Northern Arizona loses on the road wt Weber and beats Eastern Washington at home to finish with 6 DI wins.

MSU is favored by more than 2 TDs over Sac State and is nearly a TD underdog at home against Montana.

ANY ONE OF THESE BIG SKY SECOND PLACE CONTENDERS WOULD BE FAVORED OVER ANY PATRIOT OR BIG SOUTH TEAM ON A NEUTRAL FIELD WITH A SINGLE EXCEPTION: LIBERTY HAS A SLIGHT EDGE OVER MONTANA STATE. THIS IS NOT BASED ON MY OPINION OR SUBJECTIVE POLLS, BUT COMPUTER ODDS BASED OBJECTIVELY ON THE RESULTS OF MORE THAN A THOUSAND GAMES INCLUDING LAFAYETTE'S LOSS TO LIBERTY AND LIBERTY'S LOSS TO JAMES MADISON. THE MAJOR POWER RATINGS ARE PRETTY DARNED ACCURATE BY THIS TIME OF THE SEASON.
Looking forward to proving you wrong. I don't know how the computers give a 1 point advantage to SUU... They average 33pts a game, EWU averages 31. However EWU is ranked ahead of SUU in every other category except for Total Defense and Passing Defense. EWU leads in Total offense, Passing offense, Passing efficiency, Rushing defense (SUU is 109th!), and Turnover margin.
native
Level4
Level4

Post by native »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
native wrote:Statistically, the most likely regular season finishes for the BSC second-place contenders are:

Looking forward to proving you wrong. I don't know how the computers give a 1 point advantage to SUU... They average 33pts a game, EWU averages 31. However EWU is ranked ahead of SUU in every other category except for Total Defense and Passing Defense. EWU leads in Total offense, Passing offense, Passing efficiency, Rushing defense (SUU is 109th!), and Turnover margin.
Which part do you hope to prove wrong, that I think the EWU will beat the odds and win at SUU?!??? :lol:
Proud Prince of Purple Pomposity
YT is not a communist. He's just a ...young pup.
Mike Johnson
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Utah/UVU/WSU/SUU/DSC
A.K.A.: Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

native wrote:Which part do you hope to prove wrong, that I think the EWU will beat the odds and win at SUU?!??? :lol:
Good response. My question is ... how will SUU respond to having their bubble burst? Win at South Dakota and the win the GNAC. And this followed their manhandling of UC Davis and North Dakota--teams that will now play each other for the conference title. I wonder if SUU will be flat or will be looking for respect again. The answer to this question will go along way toward deciding the outcome of the game.

SUU has allowed a lot of rushing yards, particularly by South Dakota and Utah State. The 244 rushing yards UC Davis got--4th most against SUU--weren't enough as UC Davis still was blown out. Nor did Texas State's 203 or North Dakota's 146, both of whom also lost by a sizeable margin.

Only the two FBS opponents had more passing yards than SUU. SUU has thrown for 26 touchdowns and allowed 11 this year. If you look only at FCS opponents, SUU has passed for 19 and allowed 5. If I were Eastern Washington, I would be looking at whether they can stop the SUU passing game, rather than dismissing the team because of running yards that didn't translate into points.
Image Image
native
Level4
Level4

Post by native »

Mike Johnson wrote:
native wrote:Which part do you hope to prove wrong, that I think the EWU will beat the odds and win at SUU?!??? :lol:
Good response. My question is ... how will SUU respond to having their bubble burst? Win at South Dakota and the win the GNAC. And this followed their manhandling of UC Davis and North Dakota--teams that will now play each other for the conference title. I wonder if SUU will be flat or will be looking for respect again. The answer to this question will go along way toward deciding the outcome of the game.

SUU has allowed a lot of rushing yards, particularly by South Dakota and Utah State. The 244 rushing yards UC Davis got--4th most against SUU--weren't enough as UC Davis still was blown out. Nor did Texas State's 203 or North Dakota's 146, both of whom also lost by a sizeable margin.

Only the two FBS opponents had more passing yards than SUU. SUU has thrown for 26 touchdowns and allowed 11 this year. If you look only at FCS opponents, SUU has passed for 19 and allowed 5. If I were Eastern Washington, I would be looking at whether they can stop the SUU passing game, rather than dismissing the team because of running yards that didn't translate into points.
Yup. I am rooting for EWU for the pride and power rating of the Big Sky Conference, but that dismissive attitude of the Eastern Washington fans will be dangerous if it is also held by the players.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I'm quite certain the players and coaches are not dismissing SUU in any way shape or form and are focusing their attention on stopping the pass.

Don't confuse the smack of one rabid homer with how anyone else - epecially the ones who play the game think. (no need to mention names but it rhymes with dreaming beagle ;))
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

kalm wrote:it rhymes with dreaming beagle ;))
I don't know why, but when I read this part, I immediately thought of Snoopy on top of his dog house in the Peanuts comics. The ultimate Dreaming Beagle. :lol:
native
Level4
Level4

Post by native »

kalm wrote:I'm quite certain the players and coaches are not dismissing SUU in any way shape or form and are focusing their attention on stopping the pass.

Don't confuse the smack of one rabid homer with how anyone else - epecially the ones who play the game think. (no need to mention names but it rhymes with dreaming beagle ;))
:lol: I suspect the EWU kids and coaches are taking the SUU game in very workmanlike fashion this week.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JALMOND wrote:
kalm wrote:it rhymes with dreaming beagle ;))
I don't know why, but when I read this part, I immediately thought of Snoopy on top of his dog house in the Peanuts comics. The ultimate Dreaming Beagle. :lol:
And of course dreaming about his aerial battles with the Red Baron Von Woodstock.

Too funny. :D
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

This is how the rest of the season will play out...

Montana 8-0
Montana is going to kill northern col, and montana state.... lets me honest here..

Eastern Washington 6-2
EWU is gonna beat SUU & NAU, this give eastern 7 D1wins & MSU tie breaker..

Weber State 6-2
Weber will lose to Cal Poly, finishing 6-2 in the Sky & 6 D1wins

Northern Arizona 5-3
NAU has lost to UM & Sac already, now they have to beat Eastern & Weber!? Theyre out..

Montana State 5-3
MSU has already lost to Eastern & NAU, they will lose to UM giving them 3 BSC losses.. they're out.. However... if MSU beats Montana, that makes MSU 6-2 with 7 D1wins...

Results...
Autobid-Montana
#1 at large-Eastern Washington
#2 at large-Montana State
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

native wrote:
Mike Johnson wrote:

Yup. I am rooting for EWU for the pride and power rating of the Big Sky Conference, but that dismissive attitude of the Eastern Washington fans will be dangerous if it is also held by the players.
I said nothing of a blowout nor a guaranteed win. How is providing statistical rankings in various categories for both teams being dismissive? I was simply saying that looking at the rankings between the two teams, on paper EWU would have the slight edge. Both teams have a deadly passing game, but EWU also has a solid ground game that will be the deciding factor given the turnover margin is even or in our favor. The reason Davis and Texas State lost despite all those yards is because of turnovers.
GOKATS
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by GOKATS »

BlackFalkin wrote:This is how the rest of the season will play out...

Montana 8-0
Montana is going to kill northern col, and montana state.... lets me honest here..

Eastern Washington 6-2

Weber State 6-2

Northern Arizona 5-3
NAU has lost to UM & Sac already, now they have to beat Eastern & Weber!? Theyre out..

Montana State 5-3
MSU has already lost to Eastern & NAU, they will lose to UM giving them 3 BSC losses.. they're out.. However... if MSU beats Montana, that makes MSU 6-2 with 7 D1wins...

Results...
Autobid-Montana
Assuming MSU and EWU both finish 6-2 8-3, the head to head tie breaker doesn't come into play, the tie breaker is only used by the BSC if there's a tie for the conference title and is used to determine who gets the autobid. At large choices are solely up to the discretion of the selection committee and MSU would probably get the nod due to a strong 4 win conference finish with the only conference win over UM.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

BlackFalkin wrote:This is how the rest of the season will play out...

Montana 8-0

Eastern Washington 6-2

Weber State 6-2

Northern Arizona 5-3

Montana State 5-3

Results...
Autobid-Montana
Most of it looks like it would be hard to argue with BF but one thing I feel pretty strongly about that goes against what you have here is that Weber is a much more physical team that can put points up and match the finesse of the Cal Poly attack. I really think Weber will put it on Cal Poly if both teams play marginally well. Weber should not have a real tough time exploiting Cal Poly.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gocats, beating the griz in your house is no more a part of the selection criteria than head to head which you lost to us. Why did you guys get the nod over psu in 06?
GOKATS
Level2
Level2

Post by GOKATS »

kalm wrote:Gocats, beating the griz in your house is no more a part of the selection criteria than head to head which you lost to us. Why did you guys get the nod over psu in 06?
I realize that beating the griz isn't a selection criteria, but it's something the committee is going to look at if they're undefeated and ranked in the top two in the FCS. The committees job is to field who they feel are the best 8 teams after the autobids. While it may appear that the Cats got in over PSU in '06 because they beat them head to head I think the selection had more to do with the fact that the Cats were on a six game winning streak ending in a last regular season loss by 6 pts. to the griz whose only loss to that date was at Iowa. Add in the fact that the Cats had defeated Colorado that season.

If the Cats win their last four including a win over the undefeated top ranked griz and an 8-3 record that will get the committees attention. Should the Cats and the Eagles both finish at 8-3 I'd like to see both get in, but this year I'd say that's doubtful. However, a lot depends on how teams in other conferences do the next couple weeks.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GOKATS wrote:
kalm wrote:Gocats, beating the griz in your house is no more a part of the selection criteria than head to head which you lost to us. Why did you guys get the nod over psu in 06?
I realize that beating the griz isn't a selection criteria, but it's something the committee is going to look at if they're undefeated and ranked in the top two in the FCS. The committees job is to field who they feel are the best 8 teams after the autobids. While it may appear that the Cats got in over PSU in '06 because they beat them head to head I think the selection had more to do with the fact that the Cats were on a six game winning streak ending in a last regular season loss by 6 pts. to the griz whose only loss to that date was at Iowa. Add in the fact that the Cats had defeated Colorado that season.

If the Cats win their last four including a win over the undefeated top ranked griz and an 8-3 record that will get the committees attention. Should the Cats and the Eagles both finish at 8-3 I'd like to see both get in, but this year I'd say that's doubtful. However, a lot depends on how teams in other conferences do the next couple weeks.
After much hemming and hawing from the committee (and several backtracking statements) what Portland State was told was "bottom line, Montana State got in over Portland State because Montana State beat Portland State 14-0 in head to head action. We consider the case closed at this point". After the following week when both the Cats and Griz won their first round games, we believed that the Big Sky was deserving of three teams that year, an idea that seems to be proper in hindsight.

The argument of beating Colorado that year was weak in that everyone beat Colorado that year. Portland State went 1-2 against bowl bound FBS teams that year, all three teams won their respective bowl games, too.

Based on past experiences, it seems the head to head is a big deal. That is why Weber will get in over EWU and why EWU will get in over MSU, unless the committee starts acting weird towards the Big Sky again.
GOKATS
Level2
Level2

Post by GOKATS »

JALMOND wrote:
GOKATS wrote:

After much hemming and hawing from the committee (and several backtracking statements) what Portland State was told was "bottom line, Montana State got in over Portland State because Montana State beat Portland State 14-0 in head to head action. We consider the case closed at this point". After the following week when both the Cats and Griz won their first round games, we believed that the Big Sky was deserving of three teams that year, an idea that seems to be proper in hindsight.

The argument of beating Colorado that year was weak in that everyone beat Colorado that year. Portland State went 1-2 against bowl bound FBS teams that year, all three teams won their respective bowl games, too.

Based on past experiences, it seems the head to head is a big deal. That is why Weber will get in over EWU and why EWU will get in over MSU, unless the committee starts acting weird towards the Big Sky again.
I guess we can agree to disagree......................

The best WSU can do is 7-4 so they're out if MSU & EWU finish at 8-3. If that's the scenario I say the Cats will get the nod.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

EWU would finish with a 4 game winning streak as well, and if you want to compare resumes, 3 of EWU's last four including the last two on the road would be against teams ranked in the GPI top 25 while the Griz would be the only ranked team for MSU down the stretch. In fact, 5 of EWU's final 6 opponents are in the top 25.
And unless your thinking of an MSU blowout in the cat-Griz, a close win at home over the Griz shouldn't hold that much more weight than EWU's close loss in Missoula. Also, MSU's win over the Griz would make EWU's win against the Cats look that much better.

MSU's final 6:

10/10 Northern Arizona L 23-10
10/17 South Dakota W 31-24 OT
10/24 @ Eastern Washington L 35-24
10/31 Idaho State W 41-10
11/07 @ Portland State W 28-10
11/14 Sacramento State 2:05 PM
11/21 Montana 2:05 PM

EWU's final 6:

October 10 Weber State L 31-13
October 17 at Montana L 41-34
October 24 Montana State W 35-24
October 31 Portland State W 47-10
November 14 at Southern Utah 3:00 PM ET Tickets
November 21 at Northern Arizona 5:05 PM ET Tickets

Two hot teams down the stretch, one with a win against a top five opponent at home versus the other with 3 wins against top 25 opponents including the head to head. If we both finish 8-3 I think that eliminates Weber and both teams have a good chance of getting in - especially if UNI loses one more or against an 8-3 second place Southland team.
cats2506
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: MSU Bobcats

Post by cats2506 »

so we are only counting the last 6 games now?

WTF
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

cats2506 wrote:so we are only counting the last 6 games now?

WTF
No, gocats used a projected 4 game winning streak for MSU as a factor for the committee picking a team that's hot while ignoring the fact that EWU would have the same streak and if you go back a couple more games, an even more impressive strength of schedule down the stretch. Again, five out of the six final games for EWU will be against teams ranked in the GPI 25 while only three of the Cats games will be.

Oh, and also again we beat you.

Do try to keep up. :thumb:
cats2506
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: MSU Bobcats

Post by cats2506 »

kalm wrote:
cats2506 wrote:so we are only counting the last 6 games now?

WTF
No, gocats used a projected 4 game winning streak for MSU as a factor for the committee picking a team that's hot while ignoring the fact that EWU would have the same streak and if you go back a couple more games, an even more impressive strength of schedule down the stretch. Again, five out of the six final games for EWU will be against teams ranked in the GPI 25 while only three of the Cats games will be.

But by only going back 6 you cut out our win over WSU, just as deceptive as GK

the committee looks at the entire season, and looks at several things, none of us know for sure but if the Cats win out we have a better resume than EWU despite the head to head. with winsoover WSU and UM vs your wins over MSU & NAU
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

cats2506 wrote:
kalm wrote:

the committee looks at the entire season, and looks at several things, none of us know for sure but if the Cats win out we have a better resume than EWU despite the head to head. with winsoover WSU and UM vs your wins over MSU & NAU
Great point and I hadn't looked at it from that perspective.

Right now it's still a toss up and will be influenced by the outcome of the Weber v. NAU. If NAU wins, that deflates the quality of your Weber win a bit. If Weber wins you would have one more quality win in Montana as our win against you and Weber would be a push. However, your loss to NAU would look worse than our loss to Weber.

I'd still rather root for a 3 bid BSC scenario than to root for you and Weber to lose out, but your making me nervous.
GOKATS
Level2
Level2

Post by GOKATS »

cats2506 wrote:
kalm wrote:

There was no deception in my post, I was simply stating that the committee looks at a strong finish for teams going into the playoffs and if the Cats win the last four including a win over the griz that's a pretty strong finish.
Last edited by GOKATS on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.