native
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Weber State

Re: Playoff Projections- Nov. 8

Post by native »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
native wrote:
You think in the minds of the selection committee that a 7-3 (DI) EWU has a better shot than a 7-4 WSU with the head-to-head win on the road against the Eagles? You think that EWU's DII win counts for something in the minds of the selection committee?
Head to head counts in determining the AQ if there's a tie within the conference. The selection committee will select the best available teams from the remaining field. Included in that is record, signature wins, but also performance against other playoff contender teams. WSU got crushed by Montana and beat at home by MSU. EWU got beat at home by WSU, but beat MSU, and played a very close game with Montana. I'm not the committee, but I'd say EWU's performance warrants an at large over Weber. :twocents:
Head to head will count in the committee's musings, but will not be the only factor. The remaining two games are important to both EWU and Weber.
Proud Prince of Purple Pomposity
YT is not a communist. He's just a ...young pup.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

native wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:
Why would a 7 - 3 EWU or a 7 - 4 Weber have a better shot than a 7 - 4 UMass with a quality win over a current top 10 FCS team???
Coin toss.
Agreed :thumb:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

The same thing occurrs with a 7-4 NAU and an 8-3 MSU with a win against the Griz.

And what if MSU is in the mix with an 8-3 EWU and a 7-4 Weber?

Native's right - coin toss.
native
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Weber State

Post by native »

kalm wrote:The same thing occurrs with a 7-4 NAU and an 8-3 MSU with a win against the Griz.

If Northern Arizona stays true to form and implodes for the remainder of the season, it is entirely likely that both Eastern Washington and Weber will end the season with 7 DI wins. Tough call, but in this scenario, I do not see the selection committee limiting the Big Sky to only the autobid. Of course, it depends on the performance of the other bubble teams.

LOTS of credible bubble teams this year:
Weber
Eastern Washington
UMass
Delaware
Liberty
McNeese
FAMU
Proud Prince of Purple Pomposity
YT is not a communist. He's just a ...young pup.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

native wrote:
kalm wrote:The same thing occurrs with a 7-4 NAU and an 8-3 MSU with a win against the Griz.

If Northern Arizona stays true to form and implodes for the remainder of the season, it is entirely likely that both Eastern Washington and Weber will end the season with 7 DI wins. Tough call, but in this scenario, I do not see the selection committee limiting the Big Sky to only the autobid. Of course, it depends on the performance of the other bubble teams.

Weber
Eastern Washington
UMass
Delaware
Liberty
McNeese
FAMU
The next two weeks and selection Sunday will be very interesting!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
native wrote:

Weber
Eastern Washington
UMass
Delaware
Liberty
McNeese
FAMU
The next two weeks and selection Sunday will be very interesting!
Among other scenarios, an 11-0 Montana, 8-3 EWU, 7-4 Weber, 7-4 MSU, and 5-6 Sac st. and NAU looks pretty damn good and the conference GPI would be in the top 3. A similar breakdown would happen with MSU and EWU at 8-3.

I still say there's a chance the Big Sky gets 3 in, especially if UNI were to lose one of its two remaining or at the expense of the Southland becoming a 1 bid.
POTTNUZ
I am a fan of: FAMU
A.K.A.: DA RATTLERS

Post by POTTNUZ »

I THINK SCSU HAS A CHANCE TO HOST A PLAYOFF GAME. THEY ARE REALLY GOOD THIS YEAR!!! IN MY OPINION IF FAMU MAKES THE PLAYOFFS THEY WILL GET CLOBBERED CUZ THEIR DEF SUCKS. OFFENSE IS GOOD BUT DEFENSE SUCKS. I KNOW EVERYONE WILL SAY THE MEAC SUCKS AND THEY DON'T DESERVE TO BE IN THE PLAYOFFS, BUT WHO KNOWS THEY MIGHT SUPRISE YA!
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Liberty University

Post by ToTheLeft »

3 from the Big Sky would be a scheduling nightmare... you have to send two of those three east, and bring someone to Montana... I think that alone is enough to make the committee hesitant. EWU would have to travel very, very far to find a host, as would Weber, and only one of them could go to the Southland champ, if the Southland champ is even going to try and host. EWU @ SIU and Weber @ McNeese (just as examples) with an east coast team flying to Montana is a TON of travel.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

ToTheLeft wrote:3 from the Big Sky would be a scheduling nightmare... you have to send two of those three east, and bring someone to Montana... I think that alone is enough to make the committee hesitant. EWU would have to travel very, very far to find a host, as would Weber, and only one of them could go to the Southland champ, if the Southland champ is even going to try and host. EWU @ SIU and Weber @ McNeese (just as examples) with an east coast team flying to Montana is a TON of travel.
Dear Big Sky Conference,

Though you have 3 deserving teams, the travel is just too hard and expensive for us offer a third bid. Better luck next year.

Toodles,

NCAA

;)

MSU could out bid a number of schools to host as an at-large. They average around 13,000 in attendance. That's what happened in 2005 when EWU went to UNI, and Montana and MSU hosted first round games. Besides, they'd more than likely have to fly a Southland at-large team somewhere any way.
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ToTheLeft »

I'm not saying it would be right. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me for that to be a reason. Not an official reason, of course, but a reason.
JayJ79
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: myself

Post by JayJ79 »

kalm wrote:I still say there's a chance the Big Sky gets 3 in, especially if UNI were to lose one of its two remaining or at the expense of the Southland becoming a 1 bid.
If UNI loses to WIU at home next week, they don't deserve the playoffs anyway.
Though closing out the regular season at Illinois State could be a bit more challenging if UNI makes some of the same mistakes they've made in the past month
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

kalm wrote:
ToTheLeft wrote:3 from the Big Sky would be a scheduling nightmare... you have to send two of those three east, and bring someone to Montana... I think that alone is enough to make the committee hesitant. EWU would have to travel very, very far to find a host, as would Weber, and only one of them could go to the Southland champ, if the Southland champ is even going to try and host. EWU @ SIU and Weber @ McNeese (just as examples) with an east coast team flying to Montana is a TON of travel.
Dear Big Sky Conference,

Though you have 3 deserving teams, the travel is just too hard and expensive for us offer a third bid. Better luck next year.

Toodles,

NCAA

MSU wasn't in the 2005 playoffs...

;)

MSU could out bid a number of schools to host as an at-large. They average around 13,000 in attendance. That's what happened in 2005 when EWU went to UNI, and Montana and MSU hosted first round games. Besides, they'd more than likely have to fly a Southland at-large team somewhere any way.
MSU wasn't in the 2005 playoffs.
Last edited by Screamin_Eagle174 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:

My bad. I was conflating 2005 and 2006. Still, MSU could host.
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

Indeed this weekend will clarify the SLC. If SFA wins out and TXST does likewise, TXST will get the conference titled based on head to head. HOWEVER, In the SLC the team that has not been to the playoffs the longest gets the auto, so that would be SFA. It sucks, but that's the way they do it. So where would that leaveTXST? Would the committee pass over TXST in favor of McNeese if TXST beat UCA, SFA and MSU?

IF SELA wins out and TXST wins out SELA gets the auto bid (with only 6 DI wins) and we would be 8-3, having beaten the same teams as above. Does TXST still get overlooked?

I already see that SFA's NAIA win carries more weight in the polls (as part of that 7-2 record) than our loss to # 6 TCU (yeah it's a loss but we are feeling better about it as the season goes on because:
Some TCU stats... they are 9-0... and still no one has scored more than 17 points on them except for our 21 points so far this season and in case someone drops "well, they beat us by 35 points tho"

#6 TCU has beaten...
Colorado State by 38 points
Brigham Young by 31 points
UNLV by 41 points
& San Diego State by 43 points
)

I'm putting the cart before the horse here but, just wondering.
Grizo406
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UM, MSU, GSU, ASU
A.K.A.: A true ICON/HOF'er

Post by Grizo406 »

kalm wrote:

I love it when someone uses "conflating" in a sentence!

Nice job, kalm! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Grizo406 wrote:
kalm wrote:

I love that EWU grads are so fucking smart!

Nice job, guys :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
:D ;)

Thank you, Grizo! :thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Sorry, I was using a bit of both seasons and conflating just happened to fit better than morphing or confusing. :thumb:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

kalm wrote:Sorry, I was using a bit of both seasons and conflating just happened to fit better than morphing or confusing. :thumb:
100 post mark. Congrats. Now vote in the poll!
McNeese75
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: McNeese State

Post by McNeese75 »

CatMom wrote:Indeed this weekend will clarify the SLC. If SFA wins out and TXST does likewise, TXST will get the conference titled based on head to head. HOWEVER, In the SLC the team that has not been to the playoffs the longest gets the auto, so that would be SFA. It sucks, but that's the way they do it. So where would that leaveTXST? Would the committee pass over TXST in favor of McNeese if TXST beat UCA, SFA and MSU?

IF SELA wins out and TXST wins out SELA gets the auto bid (with only 6 DI wins) and we would be 8-3, having beaten the same teams as above. Does TXST still get overlooked?

I already see that SFA's NAIA win carries more weight in the polls (as part of that 7-2 record) than our loss to # 6 TCU (yeah it's a loss but we are feeling better about it as the season goes on because:
Some TCU stats... they are 9-0... and still no one has scored more than 17 points on them except for our 21 points so far this season and in case someone drops "well, they beat us by 35 points tho"

#6 TCU has beaten...
UNLV by 41 points
)

The tie break you are referring only applies to a 3 way tie. Head to head rules when two teams are tied.

You have a big game this weekend, don't look to far down the road too soon ;)
slycat
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas State

Post by slycat »

POTTNUZ wrote:I THINK SCSU HAS A CHANCE TO HOST A PLAYOFF GAME. THEY ARE REALLY GOOD THIS YEAR!!! IN MY OPINION IF FAMU MAKES THE PLAYOFFS THEY WILL GET CLOBBERED CUZ THEIR DEF SUCKS. OFFENSE IS GOOD BUT DEFENSE SUCKS. I KNOW EVERYONE WILL SAY THE MEAC SUCKS AND THEY DON'T DESERVE TO BE IN THE PLAYOFFS, BUT WHO KNOWS THEY MIGHT SUPRISE YA!
I would not want to play SCSU in the first round.
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

McNeese75 wrote:
CatMom wrote:Indeed this weekend will clarify the SLC. If SFA wins out and TXST does likewise, TXST will get the conference titled based on head to head. HOWEVER, In the SLC the team that has not been to the playoffs the longest gets the auto, so that would be SFA. It sucks, but that's the way they do it. So where would that leaveTXST? Would the committee pass over TXST in favor of McNeese if TXST beat UCA, SFA and MSU?

#6 TCU has beaten...
UNLV by 41 points
)

The tie break you are referring only applies to a 3 way tie. Head to head rules when two teams are tied.

That's why I put that last part about the cart in there.
You gonna be there? I won 2 tickets to the game at our watch party last night. Saves me some money :nod:
McNeese75
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: McNeese State

Post by McNeese75 »

CatMom wrote:
McNeese75 wrote:

That's why I put that last part about the cart in there.
You gonna be there? I won 2 tickets to the game at our watch party last night. Saves me some money :nod:
Yep, we will be there. Driving in to SA on Friday. I will pick up tickets tomorrow :thumb:
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

If Delaware wins it's last 2 games, I have no doubt that they will be in the playoffs at 8-3.

They play at Navy and at Villanova and will likely be underdogs in both games. I'm glad that Navy beat Notre Dame on Saturday, they may be in for a let down against the Hens.

Villanova is a rivalry and anything can happen.

I don't expect the Hens to win out and make the playoffs (they are far more likely to finish 0-2), but I haven't thrown in the towel just yet.
ToTheLeft
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ToTheLeft »

My picks (based on predictions of future events):

CAA: William and Mary
Big Sky: Montana
MEAC: SCSU
MVC: SIU
OVC: EIU
PAT: Lafayette
SOCON: Elon
Southland: S.F.A.

At-Larges:
Villanova
Richmond
New Hampshire
South Dakota State
McNeese State
Appalachian State
Liberty
UNI

Those Missing Out:
Weber State- Loses to Cal Poly
Eastern Washington- Loses to SUU
Montana State- Loses to Griz
Northern Arizona- Loses to EWU
Delaware- Loses to Navy, beats Nova

Brackets

EIU at #1 SIU
Richmond at App

UNH at #4 Elon
Lafayette at Nova

SFA at #2 Griz
McNeese at SDSU

Liberty at #3 William and Mary
SCSU at UNI

I am a noob at the brackets, but I tried at least... haha.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

ToTheLeft wrote:My picks (based on predictions of future events):

CAA: William and Mary
Big Sky: Montana
MEAC: SCSU
MVC: SIU
OVC: EIU
PAT: Lafayette
SOCON: Elon
Southland: S.F.A.

At-Larges:
Villanova
Richmond
New Hampshire
South Dakota State
McNeese State
Appalachian State
Liberty
UNI

Those Missing Out:
Weber State- Loses to Cal Poly
Eastern Washington- Loses to SUU
Montana State- Loses to Griz
Northern Arizona- Loses to EWU
Delaware- Loses to Navy, beats Nova

Brackets

EIU at #1 SIU
Richmond at App

UNH at #4 Elon
Lafayette at Nova

SFA at #2 Griz
McNeese at SDSU

Liberty at #3 William and Mary
SCSU at UNI

I am a noob at the brackets, but I tried at least... haha.
Praying for a miracle dog eat dog finish out west huh? :lol:

Not gonna happen. One team will emerge from the clutter and be in the playoffs