Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: 2022 SCOTUS rulings

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:30 pm And, yes, I claimed this from a woman's FB post....

Women can’t be wrong? Even those who follow Turning Point USA?

:o
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:25 am
Baldy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:59 am
Which is why kicking it to the states (rightfully so) isn't going to really move the needle at all.
I think the idea is there are a number of “pro-life” voters who are in fact pro-choice. And they live in all states.
Pro-choice to a distinct point. It still isn't going to move the needle much if any for most voters.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Baldy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:03 am
kalm wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:25 am

I think the idea is there are a number of “pro-life” voters who are in fact pro-choice. And they live in all states.
Pro-choice to a distinct point. It still isn't going to move the needle much if any for most voters.
After 50 odd years people have had plenty of time to figure out their views. This is not something new they have to think about and my guess is nothing really changes. This article backs that thought up.

Most voters, based on some polls I have seen, are right around that 15 week mark.

That’s in line with Americans’ views on abortion in numerous polls dating back many years. They oppose outright bans but support tightening regulations as pregnancy develops and the fetus begins to evolve into something more recognizable as a person. Morning Consult finds just 25 percent want abortion legal in all cases while a mere 11 percent want it illegal in all cases; in Fox’s survey those numbers are nearly identical (27 and 11). The debate among most Americans is when to start limiting a woman’s right to choose, not whether to limit it or to recognize it in the first place. Which explains why majorities continue to support the general holding of Roe.

Here’s one more new poll to chew on:

https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/05/ ... oe-n466978
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:19 am
Baldy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:03 am
After 50 odd years people have had plenty of time to figure out their views. This is not something new they have to think about and my guess is nothing really changes. This article backs that thought up.

Most voters, based on some polls I have seen, are right around that 15 week mark.

That’s in line with Americans’ views on abortion in numerous polls dating back many years. They oppose outright bans but support tightening regulations as pregnancy develops and the fetus begins to evolve into something more recognizable as a person. Morning Consult finds just 25 percent want abortion legal in all cases while a mere 11 percent want it illegal in all cases; in Fox’s survey those numbers are nearly identical (27 and 11). The debate among most Americans is when to start limiting a woman’s right to choose, not whether to limit it or to recognize it in the first place. Which explains why majorities continue to support the general holding of Roe.

Here’s one more new poll to chew on:

Interesting.

1). Voting trends will also depend on how far R’s try to take it. See LA’s new law.

2). Which group in that Ugov poll matters. Indies decide elections. .
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:43 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:04 am Now we're supposed to use horse drugs for abortions. :rofl:

[tweet][/tweet]
I heard Glenn Beck take that angle yesterday so I Googled it. Here is a fact check on it:

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-hor ... ns-1703773
Despite the FDA's warnings, its past mockery of ivermectin advocates on social media appears to have now been seized on by anti-abortion commentators, keen to suggest the FDA-approved misoprostol represents a double standard or a lack of impartiality in drug regulation.

But these comments lack important context: Misoprostol has been approved for many years primarily as a drug used in medical abortions, but used "off-label" to treat ulceration in horses. By contrast, while ivermectin has been approved in animal (and some human) uses, it is not approved for the treatment of COVID-19 in humans due to a lack of evidence.
This is a drug approved by the FDA for use as an abortifacient in humans. Obviously, Ivermectin has not been approved by the FDA for use as a treatment for COVID-19.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:43 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:43 pm

I heard Glenn Beck take that angle yesterday so I Googled it. Here is a fact check on it:

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-hor ... ns-1703773

This is a drug approved by the FDA for use as an abortifacient in humans. Obviously, Ivermectin has not been approved by the FDA for use as a treatment for COVID-19.
What was the point? I missed it too.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Now why would Bitch McConnell say this? Only reason would be to piss people off. He knows this will drive funding to Dems and further inflame. It's one big party.
McConnell told USA Today in an interview published on Saturday that a national ban on abortions is “possible,” as the country reacts to a drafted majority opinion from the Supreme Court that shows the bench poised to overturn Roe v. Wade.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote:Now why would Bitch McConnell say this? Only reason would be to piss people off. He knows this will drive funding to Dems and further inflame. It's one big party.
McConnell told USA Today in an interview published on Saturday that a national ban on abortions is “possible,” as the country reacts to a drafted majority opinion from the Supreme Court that shows the bench poised to overturn Roe v. Wade.
Any Republican that wants a nationwide ban is a true RINO.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:25 am
SeattleGriz wrote:Now why would Bitch McConnell say this? Only reason would be to piss people off. He knows this will drive funding to Dems and further inflame. It's one big party.
Any Republican that wants a nationwide ban is a true RINO.

He easily could have said the decision will be made by the individual states. His wording was used just to piss off the less informed. This does not help at all.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:25 am
Any Republican that wants a nationwide ban is a true thumper.

Or wants the thumper vote.

Its a states’ rights issue..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:30 am
Winterborn wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:19 am

Interesting.

1). Voting trends will also depend on how far R’s try to take it. See LA’s new law.

2). Which group in that Ugov poll matters. Indies decide elections. .

1) And D's. California AB 2223 (basically makes infanticide legal) introduced in February as a counter to the SC overturning Roe v. Wade. Also see recent "moderate" Democrat Rep. Tim Ryan comments on if there should be some restrictions on abortions (he didn't think so after trying to dodge the question).

2) Indies do and they are increasingly becoming disillusioned on the Democrats (aka progressive) agenda.

Both sides have their extremes that are being highlighted. Though much of America is closer to one side than the other (AP had a poll with similar results as Ugov earlier this year about restrictions after 12 weeks) and it is not in favor of unrestricted access, which has been an unsaid Democratic agenda point since about Obama.

And in other news France just ended legal abortion at 14 weeks (matches Spain).
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:12 am Now why would Bitch McConnell say this? Only reason would be to piss people off. He knows this will drive funding to Dems and further inflame. It's one big party.
He has seen the recent polling/funding numbers and it is NOT driving an uptick in Democrat funding/enthusiasm (they are basically flat on funding with a slight uptick on enthusiasm). Which means the momentum is shifting further the Republican's way and Mitch is trying to drive up their fundraising, knowing full well that such a bill has zero chance of passing. Basically he took a page out of Schumer's Climate and BBB/Election Bill and is also countering Schumer's push to codify Roe v. Wade via the Senate this week.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:27 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:25 am Any Republican that wants a nationwide ban is a true thumper.

So all thumpers are RINOs but not all RINOs are thumpers.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

How is 1/6 an insurrection and picketing/protesting in front of the private residences of SC justices NOT an act of insurrection?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:45 am
The treatment for an ectopic pregnancy is abortion.

The treatment for a septic uterus is abortion.

The treatment for a miscarriage that your body won’t release is abortion.

If you can’t get those abortions, you die.

You. Die.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:01 am
Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:45 am

But, only protected by the right to privacy.

If there is no more right to privacy, these groups will start pushing limiting contraceptives and birth control.
There's a right to privacy, and even Alito's draft says that. The Left's meltdown that this will now result in everything being overturned (gay marriage, contraception, even interracial marriage - the Left still do realize that Clarence Thomas, a Black man, is married to a white woman, no?) is more fear-mongering as opposed to real political action. None of those things are in any danger as they differ significantly from the abortion question. All those other cases involve two different people making a mutual decision on how to live. Abortion, as pro-life people will say, doesn't have that mutual component.

For contraception, I would certainly think morning after pills (the ones that attack a fertilized or implanted egg) would be at risk - those are basically chemical abortions. But any contraception that just blocks the sperm or blocks an egg from releasing would be permissible. No one's about to ban condoms or birth control pills. I'm sure you'll hear some crazies on the right say that, and I'm sure we'll be able to dig up some crazy and say "see, someone's saying it", but there won't be any real chance of that happening.
Its not explicitly stated.
There is no right to privacy. No generalized right to privacy.
Scalia. And he’s right.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sun May 08, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:35 am
HI54UNI wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:30 am

It's easy for a woman to regulate. Close her legs. :coffee:
It's just as easy for a man to regulate. Keep it in his pants. :coffee:

If a government is going to make abortion illegal then they should also tighten things up to make sure the man is on the hook for 50% of the medical and support costs.
I agree with this. :nod:

Fatherless homes are another big issue in society that breeds (see what I did there) long term issues. Making the dudes stick around in the life of the child, even if it is just financially, would be a move in the positive direction imo.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:21 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:27 pm

Wrong
And right.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:04 am Now we're supposed to use horse drugs for abortions. :rofl:

[tweet][/tweet]
Saw this...oh boy the hubris of the left claiming ivermectiv as a horse drug and then pushing a literal horse drug as an abortion pill is just :rofl:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:01 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:35 am

Sh!t, I can see an Abortion Inquisition in our future with that approach.
How about we just take away their livelihood, restrict their movements and vilify the aborters on the news.
And make them have an app on their phone that tracks this. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:01 pm Okay. I've had enough fun applying the Covid rules to abortion.

Here's how I really feel on the subject. I am pro-life but realize we'll probably never get to a point in society where everyone will want to bring a baby to term...so, if we limited abortion to only the first trimester (13 weeks), I feel that would be a good spot, especially as that is the cutoff point in the large majority of European countries.

I'd also like to see sex ed and contraception options widely available and not run by dipshits. Just the facts and no woke bullshit or attempts at grooming.

Lastly, let's get the adoptive services up and running better. It boggles my mind when people have to go out of country because it's too difficult here in the States. How can we make it so someone who puts their child up for adoption doesn't get buried in bills, but also isn't rewarded?
Well said.

Adoption is insane. We know a couple that adopted about 10 years ago. Amazing the cost and the amount of hoops they had to go through...pretty sad when you think about the alternative of killing an unborn child. :ohno:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:03 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:01 pm Okay. I've had enough fun applying the Covid rules to abortion.

Here's how I really feel on the subject. I am pro-life but realize we'll probably never get to a point in society where everyone will want to bring a baby to term...so, if we limited abortion to only the first trimester (13 weeks), I feel that would be a good spot, especially as that is the cutoff point in the large majority of European countries.

I'd also like to see sex ed and contraception options widely available and not run by dipshits. Just the facts and no woke bullshit or attempts at grooming.

Lastly, let's get the adoptive services up and running better. It boggles my mind when people have to go out of country because it's too difficult here in the States. How can we make it so someone who puts their child up for adoption doesn't get buried in bills, but also isn't rewarded?
Well said.

Adoption is insane. We know a couple that adopted about 10 years ago. Amazing the cost and the amount of hoops they had to go through...pretty sad when you think about the alternative of killing an unborn child. :ohno:
Agreed well said by Griz.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:13 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:12 am Now why would Bitch McConnell say this? Only reason would be to piss people off. He knows this will drive funding to Dems and further inflame. It's one big party.

He has seen the recent polling/funding numbers and it is NOT driving an uptick in Democrat funding/enthusiasm (they are basically flat on funding with a slight uptick on enthusiasm). Which means the momentum is shifting further the Republican's way and Mitch is trying to drive up their fundraising, knowing full well that such a bill has zero chance of passing. Basically he took a page out of Schumer's Climate and BBB/Election Bill and is also countering Schumer's push to codify Roe v. Wade via the Senate this week.
:nod:

If RvW gets overturned, the states will independently do away with abortion as their populations see fit. This is the way it should have been with this issue.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:59 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:21 pm
Wrong
And right.
It's simple, real Republicans are strong advocates for states' rights. Thumpers want a national ban on abortion a violation of states' rights. All thumpers who want a national abortion ban are RINOs.