Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Political discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
Pwns
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6560
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by Pwns »



Dumb to brandish a gun against a guy you might think be a burglar, dumb of the black guy to try and take the gun from someone, needless loss of a life caused by needless escalation.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14067
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by GannonFan »

I don't blame the victim at all. Clear case in my mind on this one that the two white dudes in the pickup truck are fully in the wrong. This wasn't their property, they didn't have any standing to accost this guy in the middle of the street brandishing weapons. If I think two guys with weapons might kill me I might fight back as well. There wasn't any need to stop this guy while brandishing weapons. The two white guys should spend a long time in prison as a result of this. Fortunately it was filmed - video isn't perfect, but it's more than enough to show the white dudes in the wrong here.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 35765
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by 89Hen »

Pwns wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 am
needless escalation.
I never like to pass judgment in these cases, but the needless escalation is 100% on the guy and son chasing somebody in a pickup with guns out.
Image

User avatar
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 55453
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Slower Delaware

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by 93henfan »

What a bunch of idiots. They deserve what's coming to them.
"In the seventh inning fans all get up and sing 'Take Me Out to the Ball Game,' and they're already there. It's really a stupid thing to say and I don't know who made 'em sing it. Why would somebody that's there get up and sing take me out to the ball game? The first person to do it must have been a moron." - Phillies color commentator Larry Andersen

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 46267
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by kalm »

What in the actual fuck?

Piece of shits.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11699
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:29 am
I am a fan of: William & Mary
Location: Republic of Texas

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by Col Hogan »

89Hen wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:17 am
Pwns wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 am
needless escalation.
I never like to pass judgment in these cases, but the needless escalation is 100% on the guy and son chasing somebody in a pickup with guns out.
+1
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

User avatar
Pwns
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6560
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by Pwns »

GannonFan wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:14 am
I don't blame the victim at all. Clear case in my mind on this one that the two white dudes in the pickup truck are fully in the wrong. This wasn't their property, they didn't have any standing to accost this guy in the middle of the street brandishing weapons. If I think two guys with weapons might kill me I might fight back as well. There wasn't any need to stop this guy while brandishing weapons. The two white guys should spend a long time in prison as a result of this. Fortunately it was filmed - video isn't perfect, but it's more than enough to show the white dudes in the wrong here.
Just for the record, I'm fine with charging these two guys (as long as prosecutors don't stupidly go for premeditated murder charges or hate crimes out of pandering).

But I don't care if you're getting robbed or if you're up against some wannabe neighborhood cop...do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent.

Really, this seems a lot like Trayvon Martin except there's a chance Martin didn't know George Zimmerman was armed.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 25943
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by Gil Dobie »

At least 2nd degree murder.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 55453
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Slower Delaware

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by 93henfan »

Pwns wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:34 am
GannonFan wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:14 am
I don't blame the victim at all. Clear case in my mind on this one that the two white dudes in the pickup truck are fully in the wrong. This wasn't their property, they didn't have any standing to accost this guy in the middle of the street brandishing weapons. If I think two guys with weapons might kill me I might fight back as well. There wasn't any need to stop this guy while brandishing weapons. The two white guys should spend a long time in prison as a result of this. Fortunately it was filmed - video isn't perfect, but it's more than enough to show the white dudes in the wrong here.
Just for the record, I'm fine with charging these two guys (as long as prosecutors don't stupidly go for premeditated murder charges or hate crimes out of pandering).

But I don't care if you're getting robbed or if you're up against some wannabe neighborhood cop...do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent.

Really, this seems a lot like Trayvon Martin except there's a chance Martin didn't know George Zimmerman was armed.
These guys are claiming a citizen's arrest. Good luck with that defense. And regarding your statement, "do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent'... lolwtf? No, if you feel your life is in danger, you do whatever the fuck you think you need to do to survive. The dipshit with the long gun broke every rule of defensive carry. You DO NOT present the weapon unless your life is in imminent danger. That's how Zimmerman got off. There was no video and his lawyer painted the picture that his life was in danger. The pickup bubba's obviously were in no danger that they didn't create themselves.

More background:
According to reports, Arbery was jogging in the Satilla Shores neighborhood on February 23 when a man and his son chased him down and confronted him. A struggle would follow and would end with Arbery shot and killed. The men, Gregory and Travis McMichael, told police later that they thought he looked like the suspect in a series of recent break-ins in the area.

To date, no charges have been filed in the incident. Travis McMichael claims he was acting within the scope of a citizen's arrest.
"In the seventh inning fans all get up and sing 'Take Me Out to the Ball Game,' and they're already there. It's really a stupid thing to say and I don't know who made 'em sing it. Why would somebody that's there get up and sing take me out to the ball game? The first person to do it must have been a moron." - Phillies color commentator Larry Andersen

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 46267
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:39 am
Pwns wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:34 am


Just for the record, I'm fine with charging these two guys (as long as prosecutors don't stupidly go for premeditated murder charges or hate crimes out of pandering).

But I don't care if you're getting robbed or if you're up against some wannabe neighborhood cop...do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent.

Really, this seems a lot like Trayvon Martin except there's a chance Martin didn't know George Zimmerman was armed.
These guys are claiming a citizen's arrest. Good luck with that defense. And regarding your statement, "do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent'... lolwtf? No, if you feel your life is in danger, you do whatever the fuck you think you need to do to survive. The dipshit with the long gun broke every rule of defensive carry. You DO NOT present the weapon unless your life is in imminent danger. That's how Zimmerman got off. There was no video and his lawyer painted the picture that his life was in danger. The pickup bubba's obviously were in no danger that they didn't create themselves.

More background:
According to reports, Arbery was jogging in the Satilla Shores neighborhood on February 23 when a man and his son chased him down and confronted him. A struggle would follow and would end with Arbery shot and killed. The men, Gregory and Travis McMichael, told police later that they thought he looked like the suspect in a series of recent break-ins in the area.

To date, no charges have been filed in the incident. Travis McMichael claims he was acting within the scope of a citizen's arrest.
Wait...they haven’t been charges?
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14067
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:34 am
GannonFan wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:14 am
I don't blame the victim at all. Clear case in my mind on this one that the two white dudes in the pickup truck are fully in the wrong. This wasn't their property, they didn't have any standing to accost this guy in the middle of the street brandishing weapons. If I think two guys with weapons might kill me I might fight back as well. There wasn't any need to stop this guy while brandishing weapons. The two white guys should spend a long time in prison as a result of this. Fortunately it was filmed - video isn't perfect, but it's more than enough to show the white dudes in the wrong here.
Just for the record, I'm fine with charging these two guys (as long as prosecutors don't stupidly go for premeditated murder charges or hate crimes out of pandering).

But I don't care if you're getting robbed or if you're up against some wannabe neighborhood cop...do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent.

Really, this seems a lot like Trayvon Martin except there's a chance Martin didn't know George Zimmerman was armed.
I don't see premeditated murder, but I have no problem if they tacked on the hate crime label. Would they have gone after another guy if he was white? Unlikely. The fact that they were white and he was black is certainly going to be material in this. But that can come out in discovery and at the trial. These guys are guilty and are going to jail, I don't think there's a lot of doubt about that. Just a question of how long.

As for fighting back, I don't think the video shows enough to make the conclusion you're jumping to - maybe he thought he was about to be shot. There's certainly plenty of history in this country of an unarmed black man being confronted with armed white guys and it not ending up well for the black guy. It's a gut reaction and a quick one, but I can't blame a guy for deciding this might end up badly for him and trying to fight back to stop that from happening. Again, don't be the guys waving guns stopping someone in the middle of a public road - that's where the blame lies.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 55453
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Slower Delaware

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by 93henfan »

kalm wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:48 am
93henfan wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:39 am


These guys are claiming a citizen's arrest. Good luck with that defense. And regarding your statement, "do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent'... lolwtf? No, if you feel your life is in danger, you do whatever the fuck you think you need to do to survive. The dipshit with the long gun broke every rule of defensive carry. You DO NOT present the weapon unless your life is in imminent danger. That's how Zimmerman got off. There was no video and his lawyer painted the picture that his life was in danger. The pickup bubba's obviously were in no danger that they didn't create themselves.

More background:
Wait...they haven’t been charges?
:rofl:

Also, either

*there

or

*charged

Pick one.
"In the seventh inning fans all get up and sing 'Take Me Out to the Ball Game,' and they're already there. It's really a stupid thing to say and I don't know who made 'em sing it. Why would somebody that's there get up and sing take me out to the ball game? The first person to do it must have been a moron." - Phillies color commentator Larry Andersen

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14067
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:48 am
93henfan wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:39 am


These guys are claiming a citizen's arrest. Good luck with that defense. And regarding your statement, "do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent'... lolwtf? No, if you feel your life is in danger, you do whatever the fuck you think you need to do to survive. The dipshit with the long gun broke every rule of defensive carry. You DO NOT present the weapon unless your life is in imminent danger. That's how Zimmerman got off. There was no video and his lawyer painted the picture that his life was in danger. The pickup bubba's obviously were in no danger that they didn't create themselves.

More background:
Wait...they haven’t been charges?
There will be now with this video.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 55453
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Slower Delaware

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:49 am

I don't see premeditated murder, but I have no problem if they tacked on the hate crime label. Would they have gone after another guy if he was white? Unlikely.
Whew boy, that is a super stretch right there my man.
"In the seventh inning fans all get up and sing 'Take Me Out to the Ball Game,' and they're already there. It's really a stupid thing to say and I don't know who made 'em sing it. Why would somebody that's there get up and sing take me out to the ball game? The first person to do it must have been a moron." - Phillies color commentator Larry Andersen

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14067
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:51 am
GannonFan wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:49 am

I don't see premeditated murder, but I have no problem if they tacked on the hate crime label. Would they have gone after another guy if he was white? Unlikely.
Whew boy, that is a super stretch right there my man.
I'm sure they'll now look into the background of these guys - have they been in a crime before, do they have a history of trying to make citizen's arrests and is there a racial pattern to that, what have they posted on the internet, etc. If they've done stuff or said stuff that paints them as racists then they'll likely go with the hate crime label. I don't feel sorry for them if that's the case - don't want to get charged with a hate crime? Well, don't be a white person and have a racist background and then go out with weapons, confront an unarmed black guy in the street, and shoot him dead. Avoiding a hate crime was very possible in this case. And who makes citizen's arrests anyway? In the middle of the day, with this guy jogging in broad daylight on a public road?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
Pwns
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6560
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by Pwns »

93henfan wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:39 am


These guys are claiming a citizen's arrest. Good luck with that defense. And regarding your statement, "do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent'... lolwtf? No, if you feel your life is in danger, you do whatever the fuck you think you need to do to survive. The dipshit with the long gun broke every rule of defensive carry. You DO NOT present the weapon unless your life is in imminent danger. That's how Zimmerman got off. There was no video and his lawyer painted the picture that his life was in danger. The pickup bubba's obviously were in no danger that they didn't create themselves.
You're talking about legalities, here. I don't think there's any question which party committed the crime. I'm just saying if it's me, my concern isn't being in the right legally but surviving. If someone tries to rob me at gunpoint or carjack me, I understand some thugs will shoot even if you give them what you want, but I'm not trying to get the gun unless I'm sure I'll get shot no matter what I do (especially if there's two guys).
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 13794
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by SDHornet »

Pwns wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 am
93henfan wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:39 am


These guys are claiming a citizen's arrest. Good luck with that defense. And regarding your statement, "do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent'... lolwtf? No, if you feel your life is in danger, you do whatever the fuck you think you need to do to survive. The dipshit with the long gun broke every rule of defensive carry. You DO NOT present the weapon unless your life is in imminent danger. That's how Zimmerman got off. There was no video and his lawyer painted the picture that his life was in danger. The pickup bubba's obviously were in no danger that they didn't create themselves.
You're talking about legalities, here. I don't think there's any question which party committed the crime. I'm just saying if it's me, my concern isn't being in the right legally but surviving. If someone tries to rob me at gunpoint or carjack me, I understand some thugs will shoot even if you give them what you want, but I'm not trying to get the gun unless I'm sure I'll get shot no matter what I do (especially if there's two guys).
Oh, so you can tell this in a split second upon having someone pull a gun on you? Sure.

Fight or flight will kick in.

As far as this shooting goes, the whole thing looks like a lynching to me. Throw all these fucks in jail.

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 35765
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by 89Hen »

Pwns wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:34 am
Really, this seems a lot like Trayvon Martin except there's a chance Martin didn't know George Zimmerman was armed.
Not really.
Image

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14067
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 am
93henfan wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:39 am


These guys are claiming a citizen's arrest. Good luck with that defense. And regarding your statement, "do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent'... lolwtf? No, if you feel your life is in danger, you do whatever the fuck you think you need to do to survive. The dipshit with the long gun broke every rule of defensive carry. You DO NOT present the weapon unless your life is in imminent danger. That's how Zimmerman got off. There was no video and his lawyer painted the picture that his life was in danger. The pickup bubba's obviously were in no danger that they didn't create themselves.
You're talking about legalities, here. I don't think there's any question which party committed the crime. I'm just saying if it's me, my concern isn't being in the right legally but surviving. If someone tries to rob me at gunpoint or carjack me, I understand some thugs will shoot even if you give them what you want, but I'm not trying to get the gun unless I'm sure I'll get shot no matter what I do (especially if there's two guys).
This didn't look like a robbery or a carjacking - it looked like these white guys thought this black guy was a criminal and they were going to do something about it - with weapons. And the fact that this happened in late February and these guys have been free and uncharged since then (so about two and a half months) and would still be in the clear if there wasn't a video, at least goes to show that there's a reasonable belief in that area that white people with weapons can confront a black guy without one and do whatever they want. If I'm a black guy in that scenario I'm not going to just let happen whatever they want - I wouldn't trust these guys to be fair and judicial.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 54016
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by Ibanez »

I'm not shocked that these two Gomers are still free.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

User avatar
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14067
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:04 am
I'm not shocked that these two Gomers are still free.
Indeed. :ohno:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 8226
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by UNI88 »

It's CCN but if this is true ...

Video posted online as DA says case of Georgia man who was chased and killed will go to grand jury
The two grabbed a shotgun and a pistol and followed Arbery in their truck, police said. Travis McMichael, the driver, followed Arbery and then attempted to cut him off, the report said. Arbery turned around and began running in the opposite direction, the police report said.

They chased Arbery to a nearby intersection, where they caught up to him, the report said.
...
At best, the men had the authority to follow Arbery and send law enforcement to that location, Merritt said. The 911 calls show the call taker was asking the men what Arbery is doing that was of criminal concern, Merritt said.

"They didn't give any answer for that, they said, 'He's a black man running down our road,'" Merritt said.

User avatar
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 55453
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Slower Delaware

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by 93henfan »

Merritt is the dead man's lawyer. I wouldn't base a hate crime charge on what he says. He has financial incentive, of course, to make this as big as he can.

Like every other incident of this nature, the facts will get out eventually. Until then, everyone will take predictable sides. Facebook should be good reading for the next couple of days.
"In the seventh inning fans all get up and sing 'Take Me Out to the Ball Game,' and they're already there. It's really a stupid thing to say and I don't know who made 'em sing it. Why would somebody that's there get up and sing take me out to the ball game? The first person to do it must have been a moron." - Phillies color commentator Larry Andersen

User avatar
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
Posts: 13093
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:56 pm
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Trump has done a poor job healing the racial divisions of the country.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Cid1990 wrote:It is going to be a sad day for a lot of people when all that comes of all of this is Flynn getting whacked.

Mueller is going to take a beating on the left before this business is over

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 8226
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by UNI88 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:47 pm
Trump has done a poor job healing the racial divisions of the country.
No argument from me on that one. He's fanned those flames.

Post Reply