Political discussions
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: Things that be all racist n' sheit

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:
I'm not expecting to get it (especially older white people) 'cause you'd have to trade skins; I'm just explaining what I've learned directly from black friends of all generations. It's extremely difficult to see as a white person, but to write off so many people's observations as nonsense is disingenuous.
Yeah, there’s no motivation or reward for them at all to perpetuate that narrative or to ignore the experience of poor white people. Nope, none at all.

C’mon Trip. I want to believe you’re not completely naive, but you make it difficult.
Poor white people have their own socio-economic issues to overcome...I can acknowledge that. Poor people in general have a shit ton going against them.

But I can also acknowledge white privilege exists. They can both exist.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Yeah, there’s no motivation or reward for them at all to perpetuate that narrative or to ignore the experience of poor white people. Nope, none at all.

C’mon Trip. I want to believe you’re not completely naive, but you make it difficult.
Poor white people have their own socio-economic issues to overcome...I can acknowledge that. Poor people in general have a shit ton going against them.

My white skin has not been a net privilege for me in my existence. This much I know. I won’t pretend to know each and every other human’s net privilege based on their particular situation, as you are pretending to. That is an extremely dangerous thing to do, IMHO, but it is perpetuated by people trying marginalize white Americans, so I get the agenda. I understand the motivation for the bullshit.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Poor white people have their own socio-economic issues to overcome...I can acknowledge that. Poor people in general have a **** ton going against them.

My white skin has not been a net privilege for me in my existence. This much I know. I won’t pretend to know each and every other human’s net privilege based on their particular situation, as you are pretending to. That is an extremely dangerous thing to do, IMHO, but it is perpetuated by people trying marginalize white Americans, so I get the agenda. I understand the motivation for the bullshit.
Have a direct coversation with a few black people at work about their thoughts regarding white privilege, with black friends in general, and perhaps those outside your circle. And just let them talk...that's how I started changing my mind...started learning things I would have never thought of otherwise.

These message boards will always be an "I'm right, you're wrong" type of situation since people end up doubling-down on their opinions 99% of the time (as we have). It's a very impersonal way to have a frank discussion that's needed in this country.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Have a direct coversation with a few black people at work about their thoughts regarding white privilege, with black friends in general, and perhaps those outside your circle. And just let them talk...that's how I started changing my mind...started learning things I would have never thought of otherwise.

These message boards will always be an "I'm right, you're wrong" type of situation since people end up doubling-down on their opinions 99% of the time (as we have). It's a very impersonal way to have a frank discussion that's needed in this country.
What would be some of the things that changed you mind?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:

A third of my school was black. That was my circle. :lol:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Have a direct coversation with a few black people at work about their thoughts regarding white privilege, with black friends in general, and perhaps those outside your circle. And just let them talk...that's how I started changing my mind...started learning things I would have never thought of otherwise.

And?

Look, I couldn't care less what you do, but I think it's worthwhile to have these deep inter-racial discussions among people. A third of my school was Asian; I hung out with a bunch of Asians. As a kid, I never had thought-provoking discussions with them about our experiences in life because a) we hadn't experienced much of life yet and b) we didn't have mental capacity to genuinely comprehend the nature of our different experiences.

As adults, I can now better understand where they're coming from and in turn, they can better reflect on their experiences as an Asian-American (as I can better reflect on mine as an Arab-American).
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

andy7171 wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Have a direct coversation with a few black people at work about their thoughts regarding white privilege, with black friends in general, and perhaps those outside your circle. And just let them talk...that's how I started changing my mind...started learning things I would have never thought of otherwise.

What would be some of the things that changed you mind?
Describing their experiences as African-Americans in this great nation of ours.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:
And?

Look, I couldn't care less what you do, but I think it's worthwhile to have these deep inter-racial discussions among people. A third of my school was Asian; I hung out with a bunch of Asians. As a kid, I never had thought-provoking discussions with them about our experiences in life because a) we hadn't experienced much of life yet and b) we didn't have mental capacity to genuinely comprehend the nature of our different experiences.

As adults, I can now better understand where they're coming from and in turn, they can better reflect on their experiences as an Asian-American (as I can better reflect on mine as an Arab-American).
And it sounds like the only experiences you deem worthy of accepting are those of wealthy whites and less wealthy minorities because that fits right into the liberal conclusion you seek.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote:
89Hen wrote: Is that because Dominique is a woman?
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: And?

And it sounds like the only experiences you deem worthy of accepting are those of wealthy whites and less wealthy minorities because that fits right into the liberal conclusion you seek.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Same way I feel about your nonsense. :lol:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:Same way I feel about your nonsense. :lol:
:lol: :thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

It’s not racism if it’s only disparaging to whites. Get on board the PC train, cracker ass cracker.

As we were taught at UD, black people can’t be racist.

Reginald Denny deserved that brick to the head. He was privileged.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote:I think white privilege is tough to see if you're white, and it took me a while to see it, but it's there.

It made sense to me when a black co-worker said that "white" culture is seen as the standard culture, instead of all cultures being seen as standard. For example, African-American English (Ebonics) is recognized as an official dialect of American English, but people look down at someone speaking it.

Or the fact that even today, employers consistently hire whites over blacks despite the same qualifications, even if they've never met the candidates and only see a "black" vs. "white" name (ie. Dominique vs. Dylan).

Or the fact that black communities and individuals (as well as Latinos) have tougher times getting loans.

However, I really started noticing it on elevators when my co-worker told me to look out for it. When he was on an elevator with me or anyone else, as someone new walked in, they'd nearly always stand next to the white person. Obviously that's not a social advantage, but it shows how there can be an unconscious bias.

:twocents:
Recognized by whom as an official dialect of American English?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
andy7171 wrote: What would be some of the things that changed you mind?
Describing their experiences as African-Americans in this great nation of ours.
Is that an example? You just reworded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:I think white privilege is tough to see if you're white, and it took me a while to see it, but it's there.

It made sense to me when a black co-worker said that "white" culture is seen as the standard culture, instead of all cultures being seen as standard. For example, African-American English (Ebonics) is recognized as an official dialect of American English, but people look down at someone speaking it.

Or the fact that even today, employers consistently hire whites over blacks despite the same qualifications, even if they've never met the candidates and only see a "black" vs. "white" name (ie. Dominique vs. Dylan).

Or the fact that black communities and individuals (as well as Latinos) have tougher times getting loans.

However, I really started noticing it on elevators when my co-worker told me to look out for it. When he was on an elevator with me or anyone else, as someone new walked in, they'd nearly always stand next to the white person. Obviously that's not a social advantage, but it shows how there can be an unconscious bias.

:twocents:
Recognized by whom as an official dialect of American English?
I learned that at the Smithsonian Museum of African American History, somewhere on the 4th floor (being serious). I want to say it was the Linguistic Society of America and a few gov't agencies.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

andy7171 wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Describing their experiences as African-Americans in this great nation of ours.
Is that an example? You just reworded.

You want more examples? I gave a few earlier, but these were long back-and-forth conversations.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

What a bunch of horseshit this is. Where is my white privilege when everyone avoids me on the elevator. Or when mothers grab their kids hands when approaching me.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:
Pwns wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/04/1 ... mment.html

OKC Thunder announcer fired for using "cotton-picking". :dunce:
Article says “under fire”, but still another cotton-picking ridiculous overreaction.

I love these incidents, so I can get ideas on how to anger people in DC.
DC has snowflakes in spades.

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

andy7171 wrote:What a bunch of horseshit this is. Where is my white privilege when everyone avoids me on the elevator. Or when mothers grab their kids hands when approaching me.

Shut up. You got a free ride for being tall, you heightist!

Signed,
5’9” 180 lb’er in high school
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

andy7171 wrote:What a bunch of horseshit this is. Where is my white privilege when everyone avoids me on the elevator. Or when mothers grab their kids hands when approaching me.
It's sitting in the shower.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

phpBB [video]
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Getting loans and credit is typically easier as a white person. White people have an easier time climbing up corporate ladders, being promoted, and awarded contracts. Whites typically have higher salaries. Whites still disproportionately control political positions. And the opinions of white people typically have stronger value in American society (see complete dismissal of BLM movement).

And let's not even start with the justice system and the advantages whites face there.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I’ll spare Trip a full dissection of that post. :lol:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:I’ll spare Trip a full dissection of that post. :lol:
Go for it. I won't guarantee I'll see it tonight 'cause I'm about to enjoy a drink or two, but slice away!

All I'm saying is recognize it, understand the effects, and don’t make it worse if you can help it.

:thumb: