Wheres the Republican alternative to ACA?

Political discussions
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Wheres the Republican alternative to ACA?

Post by Skjellyfetti »

They've been trying to repeal the ACA for almost 6 years now. The House has voted over 50 times to repeal it.

I would think that would be enough time to come up with a plan.

They control both houses of Congress and the White House. So, what's the wait? :coffee:

Republican opposition to the Affordable Care Act has always been premised on comparing an actual law, with its compromises and trade-offs, to an imaginary alternative. A Republican ad promises, “Health insurance that provides more choices and better care at lower costs, provides peace of mind to people with preexisting conditions … House Republicans have a plan to get there, without disrupting existing coverage.”

The end of the ad directs viewers to “learn more” at https://abetterhealthcareplan.com/. But when you visit the site, it’s just a big video of the same ad that directed you to the site, along with two brief sentences of text. (“There is a plan to get there. The House Republican Healthcare Plan lowers costs, provides more control and more choices to pick a plan that meets our needs, not a plan that Washington mandates.”) The Republican plan turns out to consist of an assurance that there is indeed a plan.

The Republican Party, faced with the catastrophic real-world consequences of repealing the Affordable Care Act, is divided over how to proceed. Some nervous Republicans want to figure out what they want to put in place of Obamacare. Senator Mike Lee insists that Republicans repeal Obamacare first, before they decide on an alternative. And his reason is straightforward: If people saw the Republican alternative, they might not like it! “There is a lot less agreement about what comes next,” he tells Julie Rovner. “If we load down the repeal bill with what comes next, it’s harder to get both of them passed.”

That is very true. If people see what Republicans would put in place of Obamacare, they would probably rather keep the status quo. Lee is right that the best way to eliminate Obamacare is to remain vague about the alternative. It’s a little odd for him to come out and admit this, though.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... ecret.html
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Wheres the Republican alternative to ACA?

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote:They've been trying to repeal the ACA for almost 6 years now. The House has voted over 50 times to repeal it.

I would think that would be enough time to come up with a plan.

They control both houses of Congress and the White House. So, what's the wait? :coffee:

Republican opposition to the Affordable Care Act has always been premised on comparing an actual law, with its compromises and trade-offs, to an imaginary alternative. A Republican ad promises, “Health insurance that provides more choices and better care at lower costs, provides peace of mind to people with preexisting conditions … House Republicans have a plan to get there, without disrupting existing coverage.”

The end of the ad directs viewers to “learn more” at https://abetterhealthcareplan.com/. But when you visit the site, it’s just a big video of the same ad that directed you to the site, along with two brief sentences of text. (“There is a plan to get there. The House Republican Healthcare Plan lowers costs, provides more control and more choices to pick a plan that meets our needs, not a plan that Washington mandates.”) The Republican plan turns out to consist of an assurance that there is indeed a plan.

The Republican Party, faced with the catastrophic real-world consequences of repealing the Affordable Care Act, is divided over how to proceed. Some nervous Republicans want to figure out what they want to put in place of Obamacare. Senator Mike Lee insists that Republicans repeal Obamacare first, before they decide on an alternative. And his reason is straightforward: If people saw the Republican alternative, they might not like it! “There is a lot less agreement about what comes next,” he tells Julie Rovner. “If we load down the repeal bill with what comes next, it’s harder to get both of them passed.”

That is very true. If people see what Republicans would put in place of Obamacare, they would probably rather keep the status quo. Lee is right that the best way to eliminate Obamacare is to remain vague about the alternative. It’s a little odd for him to come out and admit this, though.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... ecret.html
Right? There has been plenty of time. One would think some enterprising group of Congresspeople would've taken the time do develop a better plan. :ohno:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

I think Trump said he had a plan that will be ready sometime next year, or maybe the end of this year or early next year, or partially ready by the end of the year, or next year.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88

Post by UNI88 »

IMO it will be a major mistake to repeal the ACA and not have a replacement before the end of the year. Repeal is going to impact thousands and it's going to look like the GOP sandbagged a lot of people. It won't have a major impact on the makeup of the Senate following the 2018 elections but the impact on the House will be bigger than the Party anticipated.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

UNI88 wrote:IMO it will be a major mistake to repeal the ACA and not have a replacement before the end of the year. Repeal is going to impact thousands and it's going to look like the GOP sandbagged a lot of people. It won't have a major impact on the makeup of the Senate following the 2018 elections but the impact on the House will be bigger than the Party anticipated.
More like millions of people impacted. Trump has hinted that he has a plan to insure everyone. Wouldn't it be ironic if he proposed a single payer system? :lol:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I don't think they have one. Look, I was and am opposed to the ACA. But the Republicans are now, as the cliche goes, like the dog who was chasing the car and caught it. The majority of Americans, sadly, either want the ACA as it is or want to move even more in the direction of "socialized medicine." They can't win on this one.

Well, I guess I can't say they absolutely can't win. But they're in a very difficult position politically.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Presently I'm on an individual ACA plan...
I'm really excited to see what comes from the Republicans
I'll get to experience it first hand

:nod:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:Presently I'm on an individual ACA plan...

Maybe you won't have to pay for your IUD
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

CID1990 wrote:

BOOM
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

There are new members of Congress that have been there only a month. Relax.
Everything hinges on allowing the insured, and insurers, to cross state lines. That is step one and they have to figure out how to do that before deciding on the rest of it.
I think they know the make and model, they just have to decide on the optional equipment.
mrklean
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern Uni.

Post by mrklean »

They don't have one. They are focused on destroying this program because this is Obama's baby. No matter how many people it will harm in the end.
ImageImage
FROM DA DURTY SOUTH!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

mrklean wrote:They don't have one. They are focused on destroying this program because this is Obama's baby. No matter how many people it will harm in the end.
And no matter how it will bankrupt the country.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

mrklean wrote:They don't have one. They are focused on destroying this program because this is Obama's baby. No matter how many people it will harm in the end.
You do realize they could just not touch ACA and the program would self-destruct before the end of Trump's first term? You need insurance companies to participate & the majors have been pulling out.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

All Dems admit that the ACA needs fixing. And that is understandable with any new piece of legislation that is this big. But since part of the problem is the foundation of the plan, it needs to be blown up and redone. Treating this like the tax code (adding and subtracting thousands of parts) would be stupid.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:

Maybe you won't have to pay for your triple bypass..?

:geek:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

bluehenbillk wrote:
You do realize they could just not touch ACA and the program would self-destruct before the end of Trump's first term? You need insurance companies to participate & the majors have been pulling out.
Boo fucking hoo...

Screw big insurance companies. They're simply extractionary finance companies that need to be cut out of the action.

I'm sure we'll get right in that...
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

*Where's
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:
Boo **** hoo...

Screw big insurance companies. They're simply extractionary finance companies that need to be cut out of the action.

Well, BHBK's right in one regard, the current ACA, as it's set up, can't continue - it will eventually be so costly that it can't be maintained. Obamacare, as it's written, cannot last without changes.

Big question is, what changes do we go with? Do we keep an insurance model or do we go with the state-run model? Both have their perks and downsides - insurance model costs more but you get more advanced medicine and you get it more quickly under that model, but you're paying more. The state-run model means it costs less, but you get less too in terms of services when you want them and possibly less in terms of advances in medicine, but yes, you pay less. It would be nice if both sides could actually talk to each other and possibly figure this thing out, but I'm not hopeful.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Maybe you won't have to pay for your triple bypass..?

:geek:
If I get so bad off that I need triple bypass I'm just gonna check the fvck out

Come to think of it -

Let's take away EVERYBODY's healthcare. And let's make Europe great again too and take theirs away as well

Global warming solved
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

AshevilleApp wrote:
UNI88 wrote:IMO it will be a major mistake to repeal the ACA and not have a replacement before the end of the year. Repeal is going to impact thousands and it's going to look like the GOP sandbagged a lot of people. It won't have a major impact on the makeup of the Senate following the 2018 elections but the impact on the House will be bigger than the Party anticipated.
More like millions of people impacted. Trump has hinted that he has a plan to insure everyone. Wouldn't it be ironic if he proposed a single payer system? :lol:

Subvert the dominant paradigm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Boo **** hoo...

Well, BHBK's right in one regard, the current ACA, as it's set up, can't continue - it will eventually be so costly that it can't be maintained. Obamacare, as it's written, cannot last without changes.

Big question is, what changes do we go with? Do we keep an insurance model or do we go with the state-run model? Both have their perks and downsides - insurance model costs more but you get more advanced medicine and you get it more quickly under that model, but you're paying more. The state-run model means it costs less, but you get less too in terms of services when you want them and possibly less in terms of advances in medicine, but yes, you pay less. It would be nice if both sides could actually talk to each other and possibly figure this thing out, but I'm not hopeful.

It isn't an either/or thing. Our whole medical system isn't going to vanish if we have a single-payer system; there will always be health care on demand for those who want it.
Subvert the dominant paradigm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

It isn't an either/or thing. Our whole medical system isn't going to vanish if we have a single-payer system; there will always be health care on demand for those who want it.
This. The only part that needs to be socialized is basic insurance. Providers and manufacturers can remain private, innovate, and profit.

Just because we socialized broadband infrastructure doesn't mean that Comcast has innovated less or cut services... :mrgreen:
mrklean
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern Uni.

Post by mrklean »

kalm wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:
Boo **** hoo...

i AGREE 100% :thumb:
ImageImage
FROM DA DURTY SOUTH!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

mrklean wrote:
kalm wrote:
Boo **** hoo...

i AGREE 100% :thumb:
BUT...BUT...BUT...REPUKES!!! :twisted:
“Sure. I was wrong.” — 89Hen 7/27/2020
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote:
houndawg wrote:

This. The only part that needs to be socialized is basic insurance. Providers and manufacturers can remain private, innovate, and profit.

Just because we socialized broadband infrastructure doesn't mean that Comcast has innovated less or cut services... :mrgreen:
This....oh and the conks have no plan...never have, never will. :nod: