Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Culture Wars

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:24 am Tennessee Teachers Say 'Hell Nah' To Law Limiting Instruction About Race, Gender & Bias
It’s a lawsuit years in the making. In 2021, Tennessee enacted a law banning teaching “certain concepts related to race and sex.” The law bans lessons that teach that “an individual, by virtue of the individual’s race or sex, is inherently privileged, racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or subconsciously.” And similarly to the new standards in Florida, it also bans any lessons that make an individual feel “discomfort, guilt or anguish” because of their race or sex.” Furthermore, it requires “impartial discussion of controversial aspects of history.”

While all of that might sound fine to some people in principle, in practice, teachers say it’s a mess, especially because the penalty for being found in violation of the law is steep. School districts found in violation risk losing state funding, but what counts as a violation is super murky. I mean, how can you accurately talk about racism in the United States while ensuring that no one ever experiences a moment of guilt?

“The Ban thus deprives Tennessee’s public-school students of the information, ideas, and skills — analytical thinking, reasoned analysis, historical understanding, debate — that are central to any concept of civic education in a democratic system,” the lawsuit read, according to ABC News.
BS- you could teach about racism without making kids to feel guilty because of their skin color..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:27 am
BS- you could teach about racism without making kids to feel guilty because of their skin color..
If not guilt, how about compassion?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:40 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:27 am
Not what the guy said in his lawsuit. He said they need to feel guilt.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:58 am

Ok. But what is your opinion? Is it ok to teach compassion?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:52 pm
Ok. But what is your opinion? Is it ok to teach compassion?
If its compassion without guilt.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

I call Fake News - where in the lawsuit does it say "they need to feel guilt"?

In the quote above they said "how can you accurately talk about racism in the United States while ensuring that no one ever experiences a moment of guilt?"

There is a huge difference.

You know some snot nosed little MAGAt yahoo is going to claim “discomfort, guilt or anguish” because a teacher has an accurate history lesson (slavery, Jim Crow, etc.). The teacher will be on the defensive, forced to prove that their lesson wasn't in violation. Teachers are right, it's a mess and will impact their ability to teach "analytical thinking, reasoned analysis, historical understanding, debate."

Laws like this weaken public education and are a blow against America being the land of opportunity. Only a RINO would support them. :coffee:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Replace school libraries with detention centers. This seems like a positive advancement.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:54 pm Replace school libraries with detention centers. This seems like a positive advancement.

Discipline, not detention.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:33 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:54 pm Replace school libraries with detention centers. This seems like a positive advancement.

Discipline, not detention.
Oops. That’s right. Sorry! :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Amen!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:44 pm
Someone prepped him after he tripped over his dick on the subject.

It's too early to know what will actually be taught. The "curriculum" is an outline. We'll need to see the educational materials that are actually provided to teachers and students. We also need to see what the complaints are and how they're handled when little Billy Bob says a teacher made him feel guilty.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:49 pm Amen!
Damn right. Let's throw pedos like this one in jail.
Four women who competed in the 1997 Miss Teen USA beauty pageant said ______ _____ walked into the dressing room while contestants — some as young as 15 — were changing.
_____, she recalled, said something like, “Don’t worry, ladies, I’ve seen it all before.”

Three other women, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of getting engulfed in a media firestorm, also remembered _____ entering the dressing room while girls were changing. Two of them said the girls rushed to cover their bodies, with one calling it “shocking” and “creepy.
Good thing that scumbag pedo is being prosecuted for other crimes against the people to the United States of America.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:20 pm
Four women who competed in the 1997 Miss Teen USA beauty pageant said ______ _____ walked into the dressing room while contestants — some as young as 15 — were changing.
_____, she recalled, said something like, “Don’t worry, ladies, I’ve seen it all before.”

Three other women, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of getting engulfed in a media firestorm, also remembered _____ entering the dressing room while girls were changing. Two of them said the girls rushed to cover their bodies, with one calling it “shocking” and “creepy.
Good thing that scumbag pedo is being prosecuted for other crimes against the people to the United States of America.
But Trump! There you go again. Like clockwork. :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:20 pm Damn right. Let's throw pedos like this one in jail.
But Trump! There you go again. Like clockwork. :lol:

But trump / tDS is a a feeble response that means you have nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:35 pm
BDKJMU wrote: But Trump! There you go again. Like clockwork. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, feeble is throwing out a 7 year old But Trump!/TDS red herring to the hearing’s topic at hand- men pretending to be women being allowed to play womens’ sports, use womens’ locker rooms, as if they were somehow women. The congressman in the clip I posted was responding to the below witness (applicable to this thread and the Trans in Sports thread).
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:06 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:35 pm
No, feeble is throwing out a 7 year old But Trump!/TDS red herring to the hearing’s topic at hand- men pretending to be women being allowed to play womens’ sports, use womens’ locker rooms, as if they were somehow women. The congressman in the clip I posted was responding to the below witness (applicable to this thread and the Trans in Sports thread).
I don't think people who were born biologically male should be able to compete against women. I wouldn't want someone born biological male changing in front of my daughter. This isn't about me supporting these things, it's about me pointing out the hypocrisy of these elected officials questioning these things but giving trump a pass on his despicable behavior.

From what I could find these are the members of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution and Limited Government who have endorsed trump for 2024:
- Russell Fry
- Harriet Hageman
- Wesley Hunt

trump supporters forfeited the right to the moral high road but they're still trying to pick and choose when they want to protect women and children and when they don't. You can cry tDS/but trump all day but I'm going to keep calling bullsh!t every time I see it.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:04 am
Baldy wrote: I have a few questions regarding how this data is interpreted because any one person could fall within half a dozen of the categories listed. I click on the article to get some answers, and read this...

:lol:
I close the tab.

88....you should know better. :ohno:
So dismiss the message because you don’t like the messenger?

Didn’t you criticize kalm earlier in this thread for doing something similar with the Florida DoE “curriculum”?

Browde makes her information available for inspection rather than trying to weaken Florida’s sunshine laws like desantis has been doing. Browde has more credibility than Goodman desantis or his DoE.
The "messenger" is nothing but an advocate with an extreme bias, so the message is tainted.

Nope.

Advocates like that have no credibility. Only an agenda.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

houndawg wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:42 am
Baldy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:08 pm
I have a few questions regarding how this data is interpreted because any one person could fall within half a dozen of the categories listed. I click on the article to get some answers, and read this...

:lol:
I close the tab.

88....you should know better. :ohno:
The point is valid - your kids are vastly more likely to be molested by some church "leader" than by a drag queen.
A large number of those 'church leaders' are self-loathing closeted gay men, so there's that....
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:18 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:04 am
So dismiss the message because you don’t like the messenger?

Didn’t you criticize kalm earlier in this thread for doing something similar with the Florida DoE “curriculum”?

Browde makes her information available for inspection rather than trying to weaken Florida’s sunshine laws like desantis has been doing. Browde has more credibility than Goodman desantis or his DoE.
The "messenger" is nothing but an advocate with an extreme bias, so the message is tainted.

Nope.

Advocates like that have no credibility. Only an agenda.
So even if the data is accurate, the message is no good? That's a cop out.

Goodman desantis and his DoE also have an agenda and no credibility.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:20 am
houndawg wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:42 am
The point is valid - your kids are vastly more likely to be molested by some church "leader" than by a drag queen.
A large number of those 'church leaders' and males who are triggered by anything LGBTQ+ are self-loathing closeted gay men, so there's that....
FYP :-P
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:24 am Tennessee Teachers Say 'Hell Nah' To Law Limiting Instruction About Race, Gender & Bias
It’s a lawsuit years in the making. In 2021, Tennessee enacted a law banning teaching “certain concepts related to race and sex.” The law bans lessons that teach that “an individual, by virtue of the individual’s race or sex, is inherently privileged, racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or subconsciously.” And similarly to the new standards in Florida, it also bans any lessons that make an individual feel “discomfort, guilt or anguish” because of their race or sex.” Furthermore, it requires “impartial discussion of controversial aspects of history.”

While all of that might sound fine to some people in principle, in practice, teachers say it’s a mess, especially because the penalty for being found in violation of the law is steep. School districts found in violation risk losing state funding, but what counts as a violation is super murky. I mean, how can you accurately talk about racism in the United States while ensuring that no one ever experiences a moment of guilt?

“The Ban thus deprives Tennessee’s public-school students of the information, ideas, and skills — analytical thinking, reasoned analysis, historical understanding, debate — that are central to any concept of civic education in a democratic system,” the lawsuit read, according to ABC News.
thats been the Republican's goal regarding the DOE since before you were born. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

TDS strikes again. This time with a made up story. Covington Catholic much? From the Buzzfeed article you posted. Buzzfeed.
Of the 11 women who said they don’t remember Trump coming into the changing room, some said it was possible that it happened while they weren’t in the room or that they didn’t notice. But most were dubious or dismissed the possibility out of hand.

“There were so many chaperones I can’t even fathom” him doing so, said Jessica Granata, the former Miss Massachusetts Teen USA. “It was very secure.”

Allison Bowman, former Miss Wisconsin Teen USA, cast doubt on whether it happened. “These were teenage girls,” Bowman said. “If anything inappropriate had gone on, the gossip would have flown.”

“There was way too much security,” said Crystal Hughes, the former Miss Maine Teen USA. “If that was something he did, then everybody would have noticed.”
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:38 pm

But Trump!There you go again. Like clockwork. :lol:
Translation from Magatese: You're right!
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky