Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Poll: Crisis/Chaos Preparedness

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:52 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:28 pm

This thread is making me feel woefully under-prepared and needing to restock first aid, tool, and survival kits in all my vehicles. Looks like a trip to Oreilly and the hardware store are in order. Dammit!

:mrgreen:
I don't even own a gun. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a hard time staying alive for the first 30-45 days when things start getting real.
My neighbor Dan has a bunch of guns...he is old, no family and on dialysis 3x a week. I plan on raiding his gun cabinet. He won't need it.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:41 am Don’t forget a well stocked first aid kit and a pharmacy to loot on your way out of town if you’re like me and take drugs you can’t go without.
I was saving that for The Rapture
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Bobcat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

I have a plan in place for my family and I have ammo so when the shit flies I will have what I want when I want it.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:03 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:52 pm

I don't even own a gun. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a hard time staying alive for the first 30-45 days when things start getting real.
My neighbor Dan has a bunch of guns...he is old, no family and on dialysis 3x a week. I plan on raiding his gun cabinet. He won't need it.
Other than firing a bb gun as a kid, I've never touched or done anything with a real gun or ammo. I wouldn't even know what ammo goes with what gun. Safe to say, I'm screwed when we hit the end times.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:03 am
Ibanez wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:03 am

Other than firing a bb gun as a kid, I've never touched or done anything with a real gun or ammo. I wouldn't even know what ammo goes with what gun. Safe to say, I'm screwed when we hit the end times.
Just have to figure out what other skills you have and barter for protection. :lol:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:02 am
kalm wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:41 am Don’t forget a well stocked first aid kit and a pharmacy to loot on your way out of town if you’re like me and take drugs you can’t go without.
DMT?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Fairly well stocked now in 3 vehicles (one is my son’s). Hand generated and solar powered radio/light/USB port units, protein bars, large first aid kits. Need to assemble tool kits and utility knives out of old random stuff laying around.

Need to grab bottled water/purification system, stock a duffel with old clothes and blankets. Extra pet food.

We can grab the guns and ammo, 4 10-gallon water cans, and gas can and be on the road in 10 minutes and deeper into the country in 20.

Wife also ordered me a lithium 500 watt power unit to go along with our gas generator for natural disasters.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:34 pm Fairly well stocked now in 3 vehicles (one is my son’s). Hand generated and solar powered radio/light/USB port units, protein bars, large first aid kits. Need to assemble tool kits and utility knives out of old random stuff laying around.

Need to grab bottled water/purification system, stock a duffel with old clothes and blankets. Extra pet food.

We can grab the guns and ammo, 4 10-gallon water cans, and gas can and be on the road in 10 minutes and deeper into the country in 20.

Wife also ordered me a lithium 500 watt power unit to go along with our gas generator for natural disasters.
Nice. Yeah, about 15 minutes for me, but if I’m at work, it’ll be 15 minutes to GET home, then 15 more to GTFO. That may be too long, honestly.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Haven't heard a single motherfucker mention TP. First God damn thing I made sure of before every op in the Marine Corps was that I put a roll of Charmin in a ziploc in my pack. My asshole doesn't like the rough stuff.

Gold Bond powder green bottle is heavenly for the nutsack when you haven't showered in two weeks, as well.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

93henfan wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:23 pm Haven't heard a single motherfucker mention TP. First God damn thing I made sure of before every op in the Marine Corps was that I put a roll of Charmin in a ziploc in my pack. My asshole doesn't like the rough stuff.

Gold Bond powder green bottle is heavenly for the nutsack when you haven't showered in two weeks, as well.
Got half a dozen rolls in my bugout bag.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:23 pm Haven't heard a single motherfucker mention TP. First God damn thing I made sure of before every op in the Marine Corps was that I put a roll of Charmin in a ziploc in my pack. My asshole doesn't like the rough stuff.

My dad was a commercial real estate appraiser and would always carry TP and Gold Bonds in trunk. He was often in rural areas, on farms or somewhere that lacked a convenient toilet.
Spoiler: show
Fun fact - his office appraised Naval Station Charleston, Parris Island and Fort Jackson in the 90s/00s for BRAC and other insurance reasons. I was working with him when we did Fort Jackson. Appraising specialty locations like a military base, historical home/property and even things like smoke stacks was challenging but also really cool. Those are some of the best times I spent with Dad.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:39 am

My dad was a commercial real estate appraiser and would always carry TP and Gold Bonds in trunk. He was often in rural areas, on farms or somewhere that lacked a convenient toilet.
Spoiler: show
Fun fact - his office appraised Naval Station Charleston, Parris Island and Fort Jackson in the 90s/00s for BRAC and other insurance reasons. I was working with him when we did Fort Jackson. Appraising specialty locations like a military base, historical home/property and even things like smoke stacks was challenging but also really cool. Those are some of the best times I spent with Dad.
Good memories. :thumb:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

I have never owned a vehicle that did not have a roll or two behind the back seat. So do all tractors/combines.

Fun fact. Just about every farmer I know keeps a roll or two in their tractors for use during planting/harvest season.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

If you believe nukes are an issue, I’d recommend you get some Potassium Iodine…it is selling like hot cakes right now…
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:42 am

I have never owned a vehicle that did not have a roll or two behind the back seat. So do all tractors/combines.

Fun fact. Just about every farmer I know keeps a roll or two in their tractors for use during planting/harvest season.
What about a pee bottle? I started out doing grunt work and we'd be on the back of the base, at a massive parking lot with no trees around, loading and unloading vehicles and containers from rails. It was always handy to have a wide mouth Gatorade bottle to pee in.
Last edited by Ibanez on Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Fly fishing sling for me.

So TP, flypack, 4-piece 6 weight rod, and crawdad trap all just made the list.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:08 am

Fly fishing sling for me.

So TP, flypack, 4-piece 6 weight rod, and crawdad trap all just made the list.
Those are great ideas, klam. I believe I have some fish hooks in my bugout bag, but it's time to re-inventory and make some updates/changes.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I've been trying to figure out what would happen in my situation and I honestly think we would be left with hunkering down at home. Our youngest does not do well away from the house.

Other option would be to pack up and head for the ranch WAY the hell over in the NE corner of Montana (1,044 miles).
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:57 am

What about a pee bottle? I started out doing grunt work and we'd be on the back of the base, at a massive parking lot with no trees around, loading and unloading vehicles and containers from rails. It was always handy to have a wide mouth Gatorade bottle to pee in.
Don't need one in a field. Just go behind the tractor tire.

I would have said, find the nearest tree, but we a short on trees where I grew up. The tractor/combine was usually the only thing taller than the fence surrounding the field.

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:25 pm
houndawg wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:02 am

DMT?
:thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:52 am
kalm wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:25 pm

DMT?
Attaboy! :notworthy: :lol:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

:ohno:

I guess the Marine Corps has changed. :lol:

Semper Dri
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:24 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:57 am

Don't need one in a field. Just go behind the tractor tire.

I would have said, find the nearest tree, but we a short on trees where I grew up. The tractor/combine was usually the only thing taller than the fence surrounding the field.
Who the fuck you hiding from out in the middle of nowhere?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:43 am I've been trying to figure out what would happen in my situation and I honestly think we would be left with hunkering down at home. Our youngest does not do well away from the house.

Other option would be to pack up and head for the ranch WAY the hell over in the NE corner of Montana (1,044 miles).
Don’t know if I’d want to be that close to Bangor and Bremerton. Definite targets.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:59 am I grew up 6 miles from Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst in NJ
I lived 7 miles from the White House for 4 years.
I lived 28 miles from Norfolk Naval Base for 22 years.
And in between all that, I attended college 4 miles from Norfolk Naval base.

Inland living has this ONE advantage.
Nothing of importance in St. Louis, so you are safe