Are Southerners More Racist Than Northerners?

Political discussions
wkuhillhound
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Western Kentucky
A.K.A.: Sir Marathonius

Re: Are Southerners More Racist Than Northerners?

Post by wkuhillhound »

OL FU wrote:
wkuhillhound wrote:Living in the good ol' boy south, it is obvious to me that southerners are proud of their stupidity and the ignorance towards people like me. I have some stories to tell you about my racists experiences but there are TOO MANY to list here and I won't go into details about them. I have lived in urban areas of the south and they are not as overt about their supremicists ways as in rural areas. It is so unfortunate that in 2009, that some parts of the south continues to be segregated and downright disrespectful towards anyone that has an ounce of melanin in their bodies. Some of these people look at you like you pissed in their Cheerios. It is very disturbing and downright sad. Proud of the ignorance and make no apologies, those are the people that I will NEVER associate with and proceed with great discrimination. Simply sad indeed.

you know one think I will never know is what it is like to feel racism personally. I have heard the stories enough though. With that said, maybe you should move to South Carolina. I live in a racially mixed neighborhood, work in a racially mixed office. :!: A Far cry from the old south.
Maybe one day. First things first, lose this weight, get a better job and then I can move away from rural Kentucky. I'm proud to be a Kentuckian, but not a rural Kentuckian. :cry:

The plan is currently in motion now and believe I'm making great headway so far. It will just take a few years to make a reality. :D
I have 176 reasons to be happy.
Started on 6/11/2008
The Obituary of the 3: 7/28/2010
Countdown toward Bicentennial Club: 24 lbs remaining!
wkuhillhound
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Western Kentucky
A.K.A.: Sir Marathonius

Post by wkuhillhound »

AZGrizFan wrote:
wkuhillhound wrote:Living in the good ol' boy south, it is obvious to me that southerners are proud of their stupidity and the ignorance towards people like me. I have some stories to tell you about my racists experiences but there are TOO MANY to list here and I won't go into details about them. I have lived in urban areas of the south and they are not as overt about their supremicists ways as in rural areas. It is so unfortunate that in 2009, that some parts of the south continues to be segregated and downright disrespectful towards anyone that has an ounce of melanin in their bodies. Some of these people look at you like you pissed in their Cheerios. It is very disturbing and downright sad. Proud of the ignorance and make no apologies, those are the people that I will NEVER associate with and proceed with great discrimination. Simply sad indeed.
Well stop pissin' in their Cheerios. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That would be very hard to do since I don't have Michael Jackson's disease. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have 176 reasons to be happy.
Started on 6/11/2008
The Obituary of the 3: 7/28/2010
Countdown toward Bicentennial Club: 24 lbs remaining!
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

dbackjon wrote:
OL FU wrote:

you know one think I will never know is what it is like to feel racism personally. I have heard the stories enough though. With that said, maybe you should move to South Carolina. I live in a racially mixed neighborhood, work in a racially mixed office. :!: A Far cry from the old south.
He is driving home of the points that I have tried to make - the Rural South is still the most racist area, by far, in the country.
I think there is some legitimacy to that. I think rural areas for whatever reason in all parts of the country tend to except diversity a little less than the urban areas. But I would still make the argument that amny urban areas in the north are more racist than the urban areas in a lot of the south. Of course my basis for that argument is simply what I have observed in offices around the country and I will be the first to admit that may not be the best gauge. But when you walk into prestigious law firms (where you would think diversity would be one of their human resource objectives) and don't see a black face then you have to wonder what part of the 21st century they missed. :?
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

I've lived in both the North and the South and witnessed racism in both places. The Old South had institutionalized racism and was forced to confront much of it during the civil rights era. The racism I've seen in the North was more difficult to confront because it was more covert. There were areas, even towns, where people of a certain race or religion simply didn't live. Didn't even try.
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

Worst racism I observed in my life was in my dirtbag high school friends in southwest suburban Chicago, 1979 and on. Niqqer this, niqqer that, all day, every day. To this day, I talk to none of those guys.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Cap'n Cat wrote:Worst racism I observed in my life was in my dirtbag high school friends in southwest suburban Chicago, 1979 and on. Niqqer this, niqqer that, all day, every day. To this day, I talk to none of those guys.
Worst racism I ever experienced was in Chicago also. My brother and I tried to go to dinner with my parents after our graduation from boot camp, and damn near every restaurant in Waukegan had signs in the doors that said "No Sailors Allowed".

No shit. :| :| :| :|
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

wkuhillhound wrote:
OL FU wrote:

Maybe one day. First things first, lose this weight, get a better job and then I can move away from rural Kentucky. I'm proud to be a Kentuckian, but not a rural Kentuckian. :cry:

The plan is currently in motion now and believe I'm making great headway so far. It will just take a few years to make a reality. :D
Well best of luck with it. South Carolina has its share of duds. We could always increase the percentage of good folks, so come on down.
citdog
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: THE Citadel
A.K.A.: Pres.Jefferson Davis

Post by citdog »

OL FU wrote:
wkuhillhound wrote:

Well best of luck with it. South Carolina has its share of duds. We could always increase the percentage of good folks, so come on down.
i don't think it is allowed. is there not still a boycott of this State in effect?
"Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language"
"Save in defense of my native State I hope to never again draw my sword"
Genl Robert E. Lee
Confederate States of America
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

OL FU wrote:

Myrtle Beach is old south and it's sad but I agree with you, Charleston is very diverse and you will find racism in every city, but things have changed since the days of Jim Crow...hell, since the 1990's!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

citdog wrote:
OL FU wrote:
i don't think it is allowed. is there not still a boycott of this State in effect?
That boycott hasn't done a thing!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Cap'n Cat wrote:Worst racism I observed in my life was in my dirtbag high school friends in southwest suburban Chicago, 1979 and on. Niqqer this, niqqer that, all day, every day. To this day, I talk to none of those guys.
Worst racism I ever experienced was in Chicago also. My brother and I tried to go to dinner with my parents after our graduation from boot camp, and damn near every restaurant in Waukegan had signs in the doors that said "No Sailors Allowed".

No ****. :| :| :| :|
Hillary's Barbeque in North Chicago or Waukegan wouldn't serve sailors? Is there another restaurant in Waukegan worth going to? The graduating sailors typically go to restaurants in Gurnee with their parents now.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA yahoos - putting the Q into qrazy qanon conspiracy theories since 2015.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

No ****. :| :| :| :|
Hillary's Barbeque in North Chicago or Waukegan wouldn't serve sailors? Is there another restaurant in Waukegan worth going to? The graduating sailors typically go to restaurants in Gurnee with their parents now.
I couldn't tell you the names of any of the restaurants. Lets just say we had to get QUITE a ways from Waukegan before we found one that would allow us in in our dress blues. Course, that was 25 years ago...things might have changed since then. :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

I still say it's South Boston, especially when I went to college during the height of deseg. Louise Day Hicks and her ilk made Bull Connor look like Mr. Whipple. I still remember subway graffiti that racially insulted Judge Garrity, and woe to any black kid who mistakenly got off the Red line at Andrew Square.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
citdog
Level3
Level3

Post by citdog »

Ivytalk wrote:I still say it's South Boston, especially when I went to college during the height of deseg. Louise Day Hicks and her ilk made Bull Connor look like Mr. Whipple. I still remember subway graffiti that racially insulted Judge Garrity, and woe to any black kid who mistakenly got off the Red line at Andrew Square.
yankee scum all!
Genl Robert E. Lee
Appaholic
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana, WCU & FCS
A.K.A.: Rehab-aholic

Post by Appaholic »

citdog wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:I still say it's South Boston, especially when I went to college during the height of deseg. Louise Day Hicks and her ilk made Bull Connor look like Mr. Whipple. I still remember subway graffiti that racially insulted Judge Garrity, and woe to any black kid who mistakenly got off the Red line at Andrew Square.
yankee scum all!
let's go fly a kyke....
http://www.takeahikewnc.com

“It’s like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show.” - The Buffalo Beast commenting on Glenn Beck

Consume. Watch TV. Be Silent. Work. Die.
citdog
Level3
Level3

Post by citdog »

Appaholic wrote:
citdog wrote:
yankee scum all!
let's go fly a kyke....
excellent!
Genl Robert E. Lee
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I think that down South our foibles are laid bare for everyone to see because we are very racially mixed in every community. There are no homogenous towns or cities in the South. I don't think that there is any real way to say whether we are any more racist down here than they are up in New England or out in Wyoming. I can say THIS for certain, though. Let a few black families from the southeast side of DC win the lottery and then try to move to Martha's Vineyard and watch what happens. Or Cow Pecker, Iowa, for that matter.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Post by D1B »

CID1990 wrote:I think that down South our foibles are laid bare for everyone to see because we are very racially mixed in every community. There are no homogenous towns or cities in the South. I don't think that there is any real way to say whether we are any more racist down here than they are up in New England or out in Wyoming. I can say THIS for certain, though. Let a few black families from the southeast side of DC win the lottery and then try to move to Martha's Vineyard and watch what happens. Or Cow Pecker, Iowa, for that matter.
Nice post 90! Reps :ugeek:
"Sarah Palin absolutely blew AWAY the audience tonight. If there was any doubt as to whether she was savvy enough, tough enough or smart enough to carry the mantle of Vice President, she put those fears to rest tonight. She took on Barack Obama DIRECTLY on every issue and exposed... She did it with warmth and humor, and came across as the every-person....it's becoming mroe and more clear that she was a genius pick for McCain."

AZGrizfan - Summer 2008
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

CID1990 wrote:I think that down South our foibles are laid bare for everyone to see because we are very racially mixed in every community. There are no homogenous towns or cities in the South. I don't think that there is any real way to say whether we are any more racist down here than they are up in New England or out in Wyoming. I can say THIS for certain, though. Let a few black families from the southeast side of DC win the lottery and then try to move to Martha's Vineyard and watch what happens. Or Cow Pecker, Iowa, for that matter.

Fuck you, 90! My sainted wife, mother of my two sons, is from Cow Pecker, Iowa, you dick!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:mrgreen:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

OL FU wrote:

It doesn't feel good, I can tell you that. I lived in Morocco for a year in 68-69 when I was 14-15 years old and had a couple of occasions when the local kids threw rocks and spit at me and once when they chased me into an alley that I thought was going to end badly for me.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
HIU 93
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Hampton

Post by HIU 93 »

CID1990 wrote: Let a few black families from the southeast side of DC win the lottery and then try to move to Martha's Vineyard and watch what happens.
FYI- Black people have been living and vacationing on Martha's Vineyard for over a century. Matty Rich even made a movie about it. It's called The Inkwell .
"This struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, and it may be both moral and physical, but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.
... We must do this by labor, by suffering, by sacrifice, and if needs be, by our lives and the lives of others."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

The Inkwell?

Sounds racist.

I've seen that movie...don't recall if it was any good but I do remember seeing it.
Last edited by Ibanez on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: already commented.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

OL FU wrote:I think DB is right about the small towns. But I have travelled most of the country and I would say the urban areas in the NE and midwest are far worse than the south. Walk in any business district in the many mid western cities and the North east ( not NYC) and you simply don't see blacks in management jobs or professional jobs. It may have changed in the last ten years when I did most of my travelling. Also, the mid -west smaller towns, you simply don't see blacks, mainly cuz they know they aren't welcome.

As far as the voting rights law, I have mixed emotions. The south has certainly shown a pre-disposition to legalize racism. My preference would be for voting rights to be nationwide but I am skeptical about overturning the law at this point.
I live near a small mid-western town and my kids high school is 45% black, there are blacks on the city council, many among the PD, FD, and city workers. When my kids were in grade school we drove to lake country in New Hampshire every year for our vacation.

Once while at a mall in NH my 8 year old daughter told me:"It's so quiet here, they need more blacks". :lol:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

So I don't have to look it up, could somebody direct me to the language in the Constitution that references a right to an absolute right to vote? For example, can somebody direct me to language saying that a person cannot be denied the right to vote based on their inability to pass a poll test?
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
youngterrier
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: the option
A.K.A.: Boss the Terrier

Post by youngterrier »

From the perspective of a current white high school student living in the rural south, I'd have to say that down here people are still douchebags but at the same time I think race relations are improving based on just what I see on a daily basis. Granted kids hang with people that are friendly to their comfort zone and that tends to be that of the same race, but people aren't really at their throats or blatantly discriminatory . A lot of my friends are not-white and I've been in some sticky situations with other white people and in those situations my black/Latino friends stuck up for me better than my white friends