Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: 2022 Elections Thread

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:06 am
That's because it's all trump's fault. To the left, he is satan and Hitler rolled into one.

I obviously don't like the dude but "c'mon man" they're way overstating his impact while trying to avoid taking responsibility for the impact of their own bills.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:21 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:06 am
That's because it's all trump's fault. To the left, he is satan and Hitler rolled into one.

I obviously don't like the dude but "c'mon man" they're way overstating his impact.
Fetterman never even mentioned inflation until maybe the past few weeks. In his defense, the race changed really quickly on him. They were able to make it a Twitter-snark-fest for months just mocking where Oz came from and I think his campaign was not really ready for the attention to turn onto Fetterman, and especially not his health. But he hasn't really had answers for much - as an interesting note, he doesn't seem to have any connection with Shapiro, who is the Dem running quite successfully for governor in this same election. I think they differed quite a lot on the approach of giving parole when they both interacted on the parole board. Shapiro is going to win in a cakewalk whereas there's real doubt now that Fetterman can make it to the finish line. If Shapiro's race was more competitive it could even help Fetterman as that would be that many more Dems coming out to vote.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:27 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:21 am

I obviously don't like the dude but "c'mon man" they're way overstating his impact.
Fetterman never even mentioned inflation until maybe the past few weeks. In his defense, the race changed really quickly on him. They were able to make it a Twitter-snark-fest for months just mocking where Oz came from and I think his campaign was not really ready for the attention to turn onto Fetterman, and especially not his health. But he hasn't really had answers for much - as an interesting note, he doesn't seem to have any connection with Shapiro, who is the Dem running quite successfully for governor in this same election. I think they differed quite a lot on the approach of giving parole when they both interacted on the parole board. Shapiro is going to win in a cakewalk whereas there's real doubt now that Fetterman can make it to the finish line. If Shapiro's race was more competitive it could even help Fetterman as that would be that many more Dems coming out to vote.
Just the opposite because of coatails. Closer gov race woukd mean Shapiro would have less coatails & provide less help for Fetterman. BTW its not going to be a cakewalk in the Gov race (if cakewalk is double digits). Shapiro up 8.2 in the RCP poll avg. Predict it will end up closer than 5 because of red momentum nationally, and the polls undercounting the red vote in general)

Just like GA. Kemp likely beats Abrams by close to double digits (up 7.6 RCP avg), giving coatails to Walker. If Kemp/Abrams was closer, wouldn’t be as much coatails for Walker.

Generally not that many people split tickets
https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 ... and-house/
The 4 states that will most decide the Senate (PA, GA, AZ, NV) all have Gov races, and all will have aingle digit % split tickets between their respective gov and senate races.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

And don’t look now, new poll in NH has Bolduc ahead of Hassan.

The way things are looking now, donks only have 1 potential pickup (PA-which is looking doubtful). Conks have 4 (GA, AZ, NV, and now maybe NH)..
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:23 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:27 am

Just the opposite because of coatails. Closer gov race woukd mean Shapiro would have less coatails & provide less help for Fetterman. BTW its not going to be a cakewalk in the Gov race (if cakewalk is double digits). Shapiro up 8.2 in the RCP poll avg. Predict it will end up closer than 5 because of red momentum nationally, and the polls undercounting the red vote in general)

Just like GA. Kemp likely beats Abrams by close to double digits (up 7.6 RCP avg), giving coatails to Walker. If Kemp/Abrams was closer, wouldn’t be as much coatails for Walker.

Generally not that many people split tickets
https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 ... and-house/
The 4 states that will most decide the Senate (PA, GA, AZ, NV) all have Gov races, and all will have aingle digit % split tickets between their respective gov and senate races.
Cakewalk in an evenly divided state like PA with no incumbent is getting 53% or 54% of the vote - Shapiro's going to come really close to that. That's close to what Wolf won in his first term. The governor's race is over, Mastriani was a disaster of a candidate. Given how Oz is trending now and how, at least IMO, I see him winning, the GOP missed a golden opportunity to also get the governor's mansion. With that said, I'm not sure who they even had who would beat Shapiro - Lou Barletta came in second in the GOP primary but I don't think he'd be a strong candidate in the general election either. Maybe McCormick would've been a better gubernatorial candidate.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

RNC is touting this as major legal victory in PA. Surprised at this (I believe the PA supreme court is 7-2 donk appointed).

Mail-in Pennsylvania ballots with incorrect dates will be saved but not counted - court
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mail- ... r-AA13DpuA
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Haven't followed much on the election front the past few weeks, assumed the Donks would lose at least the House...but if the NY gubnor seat is getting close than this election should be an absolute blood bath. :shock:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

All indications are that the American People as a whole are about to make a huge mistake. By 538 there is now 84% confidence that Republicans will take the House. That is roughly equivalent to the confidence one would have if a college football team is a 13.5 point favorite by the line. So i am close to the same position on that front as I am in hoping LSU beats Alabama this weekend as Alabama is a 13 point favorite. Not completely beyond the realm of reasonable possibility. But not looking good.

The 538 Senate situation is 53% confidence that the Republicans will win. That's roughly equivalent to the confidence associated with being a 1.5 point college football favorite.

But if the Republicans win even one chamber, it's going to be a disaster for our country. We're going to have a Party that, in its current incarnation, has no interest in actually governing. We are going to have constant chaos. We're going to have to constantly worry about government shut downs and threats to refuse to raise the debt limit. We're going to have constant bogus investigations (and, no, the current 9-11 committee investigation is not bogus). We're going to have the Party of Stupid constantly throwing sticks into the United States' wheels. It's going to be really bad.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:56 pm All indications are that the American People as a whole are about to make a huge mistake. By 538 there is now 84% confidence that Republicans will take the House. That is roughly equivalent to the confidence one would have if a college football team is a 13.5 point favorite by the line. So i am close to the same position on that front as I am in hoping LSU beats Alabama this weekend as Alabama is a 13 point favorite. Not completely beyond the realm of reasonable possibility. But not looking good.

The 538 Senate situation is 53% confidence that the Republicans will win. That's roughly equivalent to the confidence associated with being a 1.5 point college football favorite.

But if the Republicans win even one chamber, it's going to be a disaster for our country. We're going to have a Party that, in its current incarnation, has no interest in actually governing. We are going to have constant chaos. We're going to have to constantly worry about government shut downs and threats to refuse to raise the debt limit. We're going to have constant bogus investigations (and, no, the current 9-11 committee investigation is not bogus). We're going to have the Party of Stupid constantly throwing sticks into the United States' wheels. It's going to be really bad.
538 and your boy Silver have always lowballed conks. RCP, which is a conglomeration of most polls, projects the conks at 54 Senate seats (NH being the latest add), and Vegas has it at 53.
https://www.predictit.org/
So there’s no way the Senate is just 53% chance. More like 80%. Even several weeks ago when RCP and Predictit had the conks at 51 or 52 seats, 538 had the donks at 60%+ chance of keeping Senate control. And the House is more like 99% lol..

As if the donks haven’t been a complete and utter disaster.
-Trillions in new spending, the #1 reason we have 40+ year high inflation.
-War on fossil fuel (#2 reason for inflation)
-Interest rates kept near zero for too long (#3 reason fkr inflation).
-Record high crime all across the country due to the left demonizing the police and lib donk prosecutors criminahug a thug policies.
-Took a secure border and intenionally made it unsecure and quasi open, which has been a disaster
-Absolute foreign policy disaster across the board.

And on and on and on. Yet you think conks are going to be a disaster for this country.. :dunce: :rofl:

Conks will send Biden a budget. If he vetoes, shutdown is on him.

After all the bogus donk investigations you’re worried about bogus investigations.. :rofl:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:56 pm All indications are that the American People as a whole are about to make a huge mistake. By 538 there is now 84% confidence that Republicans will take the House. That is roughly equivalent to the confidence one would have if a college football team is a 13.5 point favorite by the line. So i am close to the same position on that front as I am in hoping LSU beats Alabama this weekend as Alabama is a 13 point favorite. Not completely beyond the realm of reasonable possibility. But not looking good.

Don't lose hope JSO. Remember Hillary had anywhere from a 85-99% chance of winning the presidency. :lol:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:12 pm

538 and your boy Silver have always lowballed conks. RCP, which is a conglomeration of most polls, projects the conks at 54 Senate seats (NH being the latest add), and Vegas has it at 53.
So there’s no way the Senate is just 53% chance. More like 80%. Even several weeks ago when RCP and Predictit had the conks at 51 or 52 seats, 538 had the donks at 60%+ chance of keeping Senate control. And the House is more like 99% lol..

-Record high crime all across the country due to the left demonizing the police and lib donk prosecutors criminahug a thug policies.
-Took a secure border and intenionally made it unsecure and quasi open, which has been a disaster

And on and on and on. Yet you think conks are going to be a disaster for this country.. :dunce: :rofl:

After all the bogus donk investigations you’re worried about bogus investigations.. :rofl:
The Nate Silver 538 thing is fascinating - it has to be one of the quickest turnarounds ever. He went from having the Dems win one or two seats in the Senate to now basically losing every close election. And on top of it he still hasn't completely flipped the Oz/Fetterman race which is looking more and more like an Oz victory. It's hard to have more of an out and out reversal than what he's had. At this point, the GOP is winning both Houses, with around 230-235 seats in the House and likely 52 or 53 seats in the Senate. The Georgia one will always be a hold up, though, as a lot can happen between election day and the actual runoff election. This time, though, the GOP should have control of the Senate wrapped up regardless of the outcome in Georgia so that could cool that runoff election off a bit.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:54 am

Don't lose hope JSO. Remember Hillary had anywhere from a 85-99% chance of winning the presidency. :lol:
Actually, as i've written before, 538 had her winning at 71.4% confidence on election eve. Another example of how the perception of how favored Clinton was exceeds the reality. Her losing was not that big of an upset. As I've also written before: About equivalent to an 8.5 point favorite by the line in college football losing.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Could I ever be a star?

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Bless his heart. :lol:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

One can't compare the 538 projection to the other two because 538 is expressing the prediction in terms of change of winning overall (confidence) and the other two are trying to predict numbers of seats.

Otherwise;
The idea that the spending is the reason for 40 year high inflation is the result of US spending policies is very questionable as inflation is a worldwide phenomenon and there is no empirical evidence that US high spending is associated with higher inflation.

The fossil fuel prices are not due to a "war on fossil fuel.'

The evidence suggests that the record high crime rates have nothing to do with which political party was in power and, in fact, the increasing trend clearly started in 2020 when Republicans controlled the Presidency and the Senate.

The border situation is not nearly as bad as Republicans make it out to be. i don't know how "secure border" is defined but however it is I don't think there's a basis for saying it was "secure" under Trump but not "secure" now.

We are in much better shape foreign policy wise than we were when Trump was in office.

None of the investigations of Donald Trump were bogus. They were all completely justified. And if the Republican Party was not corrupt he'd have been removed from office after he tried to leverage US military aid to get a foreign government to announce an investigation of his likely political opponent.
Could I ever be a star?

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:13 am

The Nate Silver 538 thing is fascinating - it has to be one of the quickest turnarounds ever. He went from having the Dems win one or two seats in the Senate to now basically losing every close election. And on top of it he still hasn't completely flipped the Oz/Fetterman race which is looking more and more like an Oz victory. It's hard to have more of an out and out reversal than what he's had. At this point, the GOP is winning both Houses, with around 230-235 seats in the House and likely 52 or 53 seats in the Senate. The Georgia one will always be a hold up, though, as a lot can happen between election day and the actual runoff election. This time, though, the GOP should have control of the Senate wrapped up regardless of the outcome in Georgia so that could cool that runoff election off a bit.
Eh, the Donk cheating will limit the blow. I mean the last POTUS speech about "how long it takes to count votes is just part of the process" is the dogwhistle for voter fraud.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW it's better to predict things in terms of confidence or probability than to do something like predict a number of seats. if you are going to predict a number of seats you should put a confidence interval around the prediction. For instance: if a service predicts the Republicans are going to win 52 seats, they should put a confidence interval around that. And if they did it would probably cover 50.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:09 pm

Eh, the Donk cheating will limit the blow. I mean the last POTUS speech about "how long it takes to count votes is just part of the process" is the dogwhistle for voter fraud.
If it weren't you I would say "You know very well that the Donk cheating stuff is nonsense. Not reality. A Republican White Whale that does not exist."

Sure, we all know that there is SOME voter fraud in every election. But, if we have sense, we also know that it is an infinitesimal thing that has no practical impact and that Republicans do it at least as much as Democrats do. In fact, my impression has been that, most of the time when someone is actually documented as caught doing it, it's a Republican.
Could I ever be a star?

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:20 pm

If it weren't you I would say "You know very well that the Donk cheating stuff is nonsense. Not reality. A Republican White Whale that does not exist."

Sure, we all know that there is SOME voter fraud in every election. But, if we have sense, we also know that it is an infinitesimal thing that has no practical impact and that Republicans do it at least as much as Democrats do. In fact, my impression has been that, most of the time when someone is actually documented as caught doing it, it's a Republican.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:57 pm

Actually, as i've written before, 538 had her winning at 71.4% confidence on election eve. Another example of how the perception of how favored Clinton was exceeds the reality. Her losing was not that big of an upset. As I've also written before: About equivalent to an 8.5 point favorite by the line in college football losing.
Thanks Sheldon.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:29 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:57 pm
Thanks Sheldon.
JSO is a broken record. I'm just going to scroll past his posts for awhile. Can someone let me know when he posts something new?

Fiver, I recommend you respond with bikini photos. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:08 pm The idea that the spending is the reason for 40 year high inflation is the result of US spending policies is very questionable as inflation is a worldwide phenomenon and there is no empirical evidence that US high spending is associated with higher inflation.
Its a phenomenon among developed countries because they did the same thing the US did- collectively foolishly increased spending trillions of dollars, and now the chickens are coming home to roost. Inflation 1.4% when Biden got into office. Basic common sense that when you make excessive amounts of something (in this case $$$) the value goes down.
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:08 pmThe fossil fuel prices are not due to a "war on fossil fuel.
Biden is on video during his campaign saying he was going to get rid or, phase out, eliminate fossil fuels, and he made good on that promise by starting a war on fossil fuel his 1st day in office with numerous anti fossil fuel EOs. The Biden regime has stonewalled on leases & permits. Fossil fuel companies aren't going to make the huge $$$ investments with a regime that is hostile to their industry.
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:08 pm The evidence suggests that the record high crime rates have nothing to do with which political party was in power and, in fact, the increasing trend clearly started in 2020 when Republicans controlled the Presidency and the Senate.
Sure it started in 2020 with the Defund the Police Movement and continued into 2021 and 2022 with the election of left wing Soros backed, soft on crime DA's in major cities across the country.
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:08 pm The border situation is not nearly as bad as Republicans make it out to be. i don't know how "secure border" is defined but however it is I don't think there's a basis for saying it was "secure" under Trump but not "secure" now.
Wrong. Trumps last full fiscal year in office, FY 2020, 646k illegal crossings. FY 2021, (2/3 of the year and most of the crossings), set new all time record. FY 2022 set another all time record 2.7 million. So 4x increase under Biden.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA13geFl
Biden intentionally caused the chaos on the border with the elimination of Remain in Mexico, and the reinstating of Catch and Release.
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:08 pm We are in much better shape foreign policy wise than we were when Trump was in office.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:08 pm None of the investigations of Donald Trump were bogus. They were all completely justified. And if the Republican Party was not corrupt he'd have been removed from office after he tried to leverage US military aid to get a foreign government to announce an investigation of his likely political opponent.
Wrong- Crossfire Hurricane with the fake Steele Dossier was bogus for starters. And it was Biden who used his role as VP to leverage a foreign country to fire a prosecuctor who was investigating the company Biden's corrupt son was working for, under threat of withholding US aid. The 1st impeachment was completely bogus.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Yep, I predict PA will be up to their shenanigans again. Midnight, 4 hours after the polls have closed, when most other states have reported 90%-99% of their votes and called even close races, PA will probably be "Still have 1/3 of the votes to count" and what do you want to bet they'll be in the heaviest blue areas (cough Phillly cough cough)...
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

:rofl: