Political discussions
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Biden SOTU

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:44 pm
Yep. Biden condicted a verbal assault on the 2nd Amendment, saying he wants to ban Modern Sporting Rifles (what liberals call assault weapons) and their magazines. This should be a wake up call and rallying cry for the right for the next 8 months.
I am assuming you mean "conducted"?
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Col Hogan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:41 pm
There was a pause in the room when he said that and a noticeable shudder from Pelosi - everyone deciding if they actually heard him right. I understand "Ukrainian" and "Iranian" aren't that far apart, but it was a cringe-worthy moment nonetheless.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:30 pm
Winterborn wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:53 pm

Machinery (construction and agriculture) buyers this year will be hit with about a 12% raise in prices due to steel cost increases. And that is just the first of price upticks that will happen this year across the board.
Well then they’re doing it wrong, according to Biden. They just need to “cut their costs”….so they can lower their prices.
Just another example of a politician having absolutely zero idea how the real world works, but just hoping if he says something long enough then it will be true. I'm not sure how all of these companies will be cutting costs, after relocating all their facilities back to the US, paying 15% across the board in taxes, increasing their wages, paying for child care, paying for parental leave, paying for reduced prescription drug costs, using only renewable sources of energy, exporting products to customers outside of the US since they had to relocate all their facilities back to the US, and so on. So yes, take on all those extra expenses, but at the same time do not increase prices, even lower prices. There was something in there too about what the right profit margin is - I'm sure they have a number in mind that's far lower than what companies, and shareholders, would like. But I'm sure they know best. :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Col Hogan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:41 pm
What’s worse is the dumbasses who clapped after he said Iranian. :lol:
The only response whould have been laughter, or nothing at all.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Pwns wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:35 pm I give Biden a B (grading him on general appeal, not appeal to me)

Too much bumbling and stuttering (what does "stop doctors from prescribing drugs" mean when he was talking about opioids?)
He and other donks would do well to STFU about gun control. He shouldn't have even brought it up.
Ukraine portion of speech was really "bleh" and stale-sounding.
Stuck to populist economic ideas and minimized any tinge of identity politics.
Were you grading on a curve? :lol:

Give him a D- for staying awake through his own speech.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I watched the first few minutes where he talked about Ukraine..then I turned it off somewhere around " prescription drugs." For a mumbling, stuttering old guy, I thought he did a good job on the Ukraine section.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:45 pm Turns out curing inflation is easy. Business just need to “cut their costs”.
While increasing wages. :rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:35 am I watched the first few minutes where he talked about Iran ..then I turned it off somewhere around " prescription drugs." For a mumbling, stuttering old guy, I thought he did a good job on the Iranian section.
FYP
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:04 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:35 am I watched the first few minutes where he talked about Iran ..then I turned it off somewhere around " prescription drugs." For a mumbling, stuttering old guy, I thought he did a good job on the Iranian section.
FYP
:lol: So since I posted, I went and read a few reviews of the SOTU - I didn't see the Iran gaffe. I just saw the first several minutes.

How are we on interruptions? Joe Wilsons was no biggie to some and disrespectful to some. I assume it's the same thought for Boebert's outburst last night...?
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:35 am I watched the first few minutes where he talked about Iran ..then I turned it off somewhere around " prescription drugs." For a mumbling, stuttering old guy, I thought he did a good job on the Iranian section. I'm proud that I voted for him.
FYP
FY FYP
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:13 am

FYP
:lol: So since I posted, I went and read a few reviews of the SOTU - I didn't see the Iran gaffe. I just saw the first several minutes.

How are we on interruptions? Joe Wilsons was no biggie to some and disrespectful to some. I assume it's the same thought for Boebert's outburst last night...?
Just tame stuff last night, I think there were just two outbursts, nothing significant. I'd actually like it if we did more of that. I don't want a full on PM Questions type thing, but if we're going to robotically applaud when they applause cards go up then I'm fine with people booing or grunting at other times too. Makes it more lively.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:16 am

FYP
FY FYP
:roll: Wrong-o, sport.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:46 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:13 am

Just tame stuff last night, I think there were just two outbursts, nothing significant. I'd actually like it if we did more of that. I don't want a full on PM Questions type thing, but if we're going to robotically applaud when they applause cards go up then I'm fine with people booing or grunting at other times too. Makes it more lively.
God, let's start have Presidents Questions. :clap: :clap:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:26 am
Pwns wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:35 pm I give Biden a B (grading him on general appeal, not appeal to me)

Too much bumbling and stuttering (what does "stop doctors from prescribing drugs" mean when he was talking about opioids?)
He and other donks would do well to STFU about gun control. He shouldn't have even brought it up.
Ukraine portion of speech was really "bleh" and stale-sounding.
Stuck to populist economic ideas and minimized any tinge of identity politics.

This was definitely C work at best. At times it was like he couldn't read the speech fast enough. He had a nice slow down in the middle and then the Adderall kicked in and he sped back up. At times it seemed he dropped his index cards and just randomly picked them up and read them.

Absolutely comical for him talking about securing the border and taming inflation by just having companies bring jobs back to America to cut costs (here's a clue Joe, they're not manufacturing overseas because it's more expensive there).

I'm not sure if anyone noticed he actually UPPED his lie about how many times he's been to Iraq/Afghanistan. He got caught during the campaign in 2019 saying he'd been over 30 times and last night he increased it to over 40. Is that a big deal? Not really, but the fact that he keeps telling the same lies after he's been shown they're lies is really strange. He either doesn't care or simply has no clue.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:08 am
Ivytalk wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:26 am

This was definitely C work at best. At times it was like he couldn't read the speech fast enough. He had a nice slow down in the middle and then the Adderall kicked in and he sped back up. At times it seemed he dropped his index cards and just randomly picked them up and read them.

Absolutely comical for him talking about securing the border and taming inflation by just having companies bring jobs back to America to cut costs (here's a clue Joe, they're not manufacturing overseas because it's more expensive there).

I'm not sure if anyone noticed he actually UPPED his lie about how many times he's been to Iraq/Afghanistan. He got caught during the campaign in 2019 saying he'd been over 30 times and last night he increased it to over 40. Is that a big deal? Not really, but the fact that he keeps telling the same lies after he's been shown they're lies is really strange. He either doesn't care or simply has no clue.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

I think he probably does think they're true.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:53 am
HI54UNI wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:16 am

FY FYP
The proud part or the part about voting for him?

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:15 pm I think he probably does think they're true.
I have no doubt that he does. Just like when he lies about marching in the streets for civil rights, busing minority students, etc.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:19 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:53 am

The proud part or the part about voting for him?
The proud part. I'm in MAGA country and there wasn't anyway I was voting for Trump. My only options were abstaining like I did in 2016 or voting. I voted and that vote didn't make a lick of difference. Honestly - I should've written in my dead grandfathers name like I usually do.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:22 pm
89Hen wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:15 pm I think he probably does think they're true.
I have no doubt that he does. Just like when he lies about marching in the streets for civil rights, busing minority students, etc.
Meh. No side really has any right to get up in arms over lies. They all do whether it's landing under fire, marching for civil rights, crowd sizes, I didn't have sex with that woman, no new taxes, etc....
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:31 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:22 pm

Meh. No side really has any right to get up in arms over lies. They all do whether it's landing under fire, marching for civil rights, crowd sizes, I didn't have sex with that woman, no new taxes, etc....
some lies are different than others. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:35 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:31 pm
You are correct. Stop the steal being an example of a particularly egregious lie.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:56 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:35 pm

You are correct. Stop the steal being an example of a particularly egregious lie.
But not as big as "Russian collusion"... :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:54 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:56 pm
But not as big as "Russian collusion"... :coffee: :coffee:
You're entitled to that opinion.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Pelosi’s reaction to ‘burn pits’ DA fuq :suspicious:
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.