AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Disgraceful

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:25 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:38 pm

And? You voted for Romney, GW (twice), Bob Dole, GHW and Reagan twice. How does one do that and call themselves a libertarian?
I was a Republican until 2017. But I voted for a Libertarian in ‘92 because HW Bush broke his tax pledge. Actually, my proudest vote as a Republican was the one I cast for Steve Forbes (the most free-market guy in the GOP field) in the ‘96 Delaware primary. It was one of the two primaries that Forbes won.

And you saw fit to vote for Trump in ‘20 and Perot twice. Neither was a libertarian.

I’d call it a wash. But I’ll bet that both of us have voted for more libertarians than JSO. :twocents:
I voted for Trump in 20 because there wasn’t a viable alternative outside of the Alzheimer’s guy, and Gary Johnson had proven to be a quack.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:55 am

I was a Republican until 2017. But I voted for a Libertarian in ‘92 because HW Bush broke his tax pledge. Actually, my proudest vote as a Republican was the one I cast for Steve Forbes (the most free-market guy in the GOP field) in the ‘96 Delaware primary. It was one of the two primaries that Forbes won.

And you saw fit to vote for Trump in ‘20 and Perot twice. Neither was a libertarian.

I’d call it a wash. But I’ll bet that both of us have voted for more libertarians than JSO. :twocents:
I voted for Trump in 20 because there wasn’t a viable alternative outside of the Alzheimer’s guy, and Gary Johnson had proven to be a quack.
Correction - Giant Meteor is always an alternative.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:55 pm
Ibanez wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:46 pm

I remember Perot on the TV as a kid. :lol:
Ross the Boss. Got about 19% of the vote the first time around, 8% the second.
Clinton is never elected in 92’ if not for Perot, and HW wins a 2nd term.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Gary Johnson didn't run in 2020.

Johnson was a little odd but I wouldn't call him a quack. I'll take odd over corrupt, narcissistic egomaniac.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA yahoos - putting the Q into qrazy qanon conspiracy theories since 2015.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:13 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:55 pm
Ross the Boss. Got about 19% of the vote the first time around, 8% the second.
Would that have been better? Clinton's presidency was one of the most successful of the last 50 years.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:15 pm

Gary Johnson didn't run in 2020.

Johnson was a little odd but I wouldn't call him a quack. I'll take odd over corrupt, narcissistic egomaniac.
Which is why I voted for him in ‘16. Like I said, there wasn’t a viable alternative in ‘20.
Last edited by AZGrizFan on Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:17 pm
Would that have been better? Clinton's presidency was one of the most successful of the last 50 years.
Was it? You can trace the political vitriol that has plagued our politics since then precisely to his Presidency. Of course, Clinton didn't turn things sour politically all on his own, he had plenty of help in that department in a true bipartisan effort, but he and his style certainly paved the way for the scorched earth politics we are struggling with now. A lot of the economic gains during his Presidency were almost all the result of the peace dividend coming out of the Cold War and the USSR's collapse, as well as the rise of the internet. And you can argue that his letting Al Gore take the lead on dealing with the new Russian Federation and the bungling of that effort helped to lead to the conditions that let a leader like Putin emerge. Again, can't lay all the blame on the Presidency for how Russia turned out, the Russians still had plenty of say in that, but it was hardly a foreign policy success story. And I went a whole paragraph without mentioning that he went into a deposition, took an oath, and then lied in a vain attempt to protect his image. He was a really good public speaker, though, and was certainly charismatic. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Well, if HW had won 92’, could have only served the 93’-96’ term. Then who would have won in 96? And in 00? Really could have changed the whole line of POTUSes up to now.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:37 pm
Was it? You can trace the political vitriol that has plagued our politics since then precisely to his Presidency. Of course, Clinton didn't turn things sour politically all on his own, he had plenty of help in that department in a true bipartisan effort, but he and his style certainly paved the way for the scorched earth politics we are struggling with now. A lot of the economic gains during his Presidency were almost all the result of the peace dividend coming out of the Cold War and the USSR's collapse, as well as the rise of the internet. And you can argue that his letting Al Gore take the lead on dealing with the new Russian Federation and the bungling of that effort helped to lead to the conditions that let a leader like Putin emerge. Again, can't lay all the blame on the Presidency for how Russia turned out, the Russians still had plenty of say in that, but it was hardly a foreign policy success story. And I went a whole paragraph without mentioning that he went into a deposition, took an oath, and then lied in a vain attempt to protect his image. He was a really good public speaker, though, and was certainly charismatic. :coffee:
Vitriol comes and goes in politics. You could say that Nixon and Watergate was the start.

Clinton was the definitely the beneficiary of a great situation but he also took advantage of it from a budgetary perspective. If Trump gets credit for the economic records set during his administration then Clinton (and Reagan's tax cuts) gets credit for the boom during his.

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Clinton's first two years were a disaster. Really not that much different than Biden's so far. His horrible first two years ushered in the Conk Revolution in 1994. To Clinton's credit, he was an old school political pragmatist and that is what probably saved his presidency in 1996.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:27 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:37 pm

Vitriol comes and goes in politics. You could say that Nixon and Watergate was the start.

Clinton was the definitely the beneficiary of a great situation but he also took advantage of it from a budgetary perspective. If Trump gets credit for the economic records set during his administration then Clinton (and Reagan's tax cuts) gets credit for the boom during his.
Clinton couldn’t have won the donk nomination today running on the 92’ donk platform..
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote:
GannonFan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:37 pm Was it? You can trace the political vitriol that has plagued our politics since then precisely to his Presidency. Of course, Clinton didn't turn things sour politically all on his own, he had plenty of help in that department in a true bipartisan effort, but he and his style certainly paved the way for the scorched earth politics we are struggling with now. A lot of the economic gains during his Presidency were almost all the result of the peace dividend coming out of the Cold War and the USSR's collapse, as well as the rise of the internet. And you can argue that his letting Al Gore take the lead on dealing with the new Russian Federation and the bungling of that effort helped to lead to the conditions that let a leader like Putin emerge. Again, can't lay all the blame on the Presidency for how Russia turned out, the Russians still had plenty of say in that, but it was hardly a foreign policy success story. And I went a whole paragraph without mentioning that he went into a deposition, took an oath, and then lied in a vain attempt to protect his image. He was a really good public speaker, though, and was certainly charismatic. :coffee:

You can go back further than that - Election of 1800 was bad but not nearly as bad as 1824. That was a nasty election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:41 pm
UNI88 wrote:

You can go back further than that - Election of 1800 was bad but not nearly as bad as 1824. That was a nasty election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. It’s cute when people think this nasty political climate is something “new”.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Thanks Biden.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:39 pm Thanks Biden.

That's appalling. I wonder how many of those captured assets were made un-usable before we left. Did the GAO account/document that?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:32 am

That's appalling. I wonder how many of those captured assets were made un-usable before we left. Did the GAO account/document that?
Was there a sudden shortage of pilots, FFS? They couldn’t scrounge up 60 cargo plane pilots and at least get THOSE loaded up with some of that shit and flown out of there?

I swear to god, after our completely bungled exit from Afghanistan made our military look ridiculous, Putin said “here, hold my beer!”
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

And not one person has been fired or held accountable in any way. :evil:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:50 am

And not one person has been fired or held accountable in any way. :evil:
Sure there has been. The ONE active duty guy who criticized the operation. HE got court martialed and his career ended.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:47 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:32 am

Was there a sudden shortage of pilots, FFS? They couldn’t scrounge up 60 cargo plane pilots and at least get THOSE loaded up with some of that shit and flown out of there?

I swear to god, after our completely bungled exit from Afghanistan made our military look ridiculous, Putin said “here, hold my beer!”
That's a great point. Our exit was a bungled mess. A colossal logistics failure. Still - how much was rendered useless before we left?

I remember being part of the pull out of Iraq after OIF and we spent months ahead of time shipping everything that made sense to Albany, GA or Bristow, CA. That included bombed out and bloody tanks, Humvees, MRAPs, etc... Some types of things we left, like office equipment w/o hard drives and network cards, broken radios, headsets, etc.. things that weren't worth the cost to send back to the states just to throw it away.

A Marine I worked with was part of the withdrawal during Desert Storm. I remember him telling us they'd dropped a lot of destroyed vehicles off the ships and would spend weeks going to broken vehicles and rendering them useless. With everything, there's a cost benefit analysis performed.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

The disposition of gear to Afghanistan was perfectly fine and legal and is common place. The root cause is a weak Afghani fighting force but not our Retrograde/Disposition process.

Simply put - we ruined that country and then handed it over to a weak, ineffectual government/military.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:42 am The disposition of gear to Afghanistan was perfectly fine and legal and is common place. The root cause is a weak Afghani fighting force but not our Retrograde/Disposition process.

Simply put - we ruined that country and then handed it over to a weak, ineffectual government/military.
How did we ruin it? The place was in shambles and a haven for terrorists and extremists before we ever got there. Afghanistan was never really a tourist destination really ever long before we decided to set up shop after 9/11.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:10 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:42 am The disposition of gear to Afghanistan was perfectly fine and legal and is common place. The root cause is a weak Afghani fighting force but not our Retrograde/Disposition process.

How did we ruin it? The place was in shambles and a haven for terrorists and extremists before we ever got there. Afghanistan was never really a tourist destination really ever long before we decided to set up shop after 9/11.
Ruin might be a harsh word but our presence there for nearly 20 years didn't improve it at all.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:25 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:10 am

Ruin might be a harsh word but our presence there for nearly 20 years didn't improve it at all.
I'm sure there's more infrastructure (i.e. roads and stuff like that) there now than before we got there. And it's not anywhere near the hotbed of terrorism that it was 20 years ago when we decided to go in and clear that out. Whether it was worth it (the lives lost, the money spent, etc) will probably always be answered in the negative, but there's certainly been improvement in Afghanistan, despite the large amount of things not improving.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:09 pm

Well, if HW had won 92’, could have only served the 93’-96’ term. Then who would have won in 96? And in 00? Really could have changed the whole line of POTUSes up to now.
Maybe. Maybe not.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky