New NCAA Rules On Eye Black, Wedge Blocking, Taunting

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

New NCAA Rules On Eye Black, Wedge Blocking, Taunting

Post by 93henfan »

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome ... _ncaa_news
PROP confirmed that players are not allowed to have any symbols or messages on their eye black starting in the 2010 season.
The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a proposal Wednesday to eliminate wedge-blocking formations of three or more players by the receiving team on kickoffs for the 2010 season.

A wedge is defined in the NCAA Football Rules Book as two or more players aligned shoulder to shoulder within two yards of each other. Two player wedges remain legal; the formation of three or more players in a wedge is now a foul that would result in a 15-yard penalty.

It will be considered a live-ball foul, regardless of whether there is contact between opponents. The penalty would be marked from the spot of the foul or from the spot of where the kick returner was tackled if it is behind the spot where the illegal wedge was formed.

The formation of a wedge would not be illegal when the kick is from an obvious onside kick formation.
PROP also approved a proposal that penalizes unsportsmanlike conduct as a live-ball foul beginning with the 2011 season.

The change means, for example, that if a player makes a taunting gesture to an opponent on the way to scoring a touchdown, the flag would nullify the score and penalize the offending team from the spot of the foul.

Penalties for dead-ball misconduct fouls (for example, unsportsmanlike behavior after the player crosses the goal line) would continue to be assessed on the ensuing kickoff or the extra point/two point conversion attempt.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CrackerRiley
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Re: New NCAA Rules On Eye Black, Wedge Blocking, Taunting

Post by CrackerRiley »

PROP confirmed that players are not allowed to have any symbols or messages on their eye black starting in the 2010 season.
Now that Mister Tebow has graduated. ;)
PROP also approved a proposal that penalizes unsportsmanlike conduct as a live-ball foul beginning with the 2011 season.

The change means, for example, that if a player makes a taunting gesture to an opponent on the way to scoring a touchdown, the flag would nullify the score and penalize the offending team from the spot of the foul.

Penalties for dead-ball misconduct fouls (for example, unsportsmanlike behavior after the player crosses the goal line) would continue to be assessed on the ensuing kickoff or the extra point/two point conversion attempt.
That's pretty big if you ask me.

That's what she said... :nod:
"There's no I in team, but there's an I in win."
ImageImage
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

That taunting rule is BS. Reminds me of early in the UM/ASU game when our linebacker shot through and tackled somebody in the ASU backfield for a big loss. He got up all pumped up and jumped around for about 2 seconds and got a fucking taunting penalty called on him.

Pure BS. Football is a game of emotion. They're going to ruin the game.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

AZGrizFan wrote:That taunting rule is BS. Reminds me of early in the UM/ASU game when our linebacker shot through and tackled somebody in the ASU backfield for a big loss. He got up all pumped up and jumped around for about 2 seconds and got a **** taunting penalty called on him.

Agree, FU versus Hofstra. Freeman intercepts a pass and goes down. He jumps up and throws the ball 20 feet in the air as celebration. Refs rule no interception and penalized FU 15 yards and give Hofstra a first down.

The celebration taunting rules are getting out of hand.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

AZGrizFan wrote:That taunting rule is BS. Reminds me of early in the UM/ASU game when our linebacker shot through and tackled somebody in the ASU backfield for a big loss. He got up all pumped up and jumped around for about 2 seconds and got a fucking taunting penalty called on him.

So a WR running down the sidelines, high stepping, waving the ball like a baton, waving at the defense, and what no is okay with you?

I'm all for emotion during games. However, taunting while running (like the are talking about) isn't emotion.
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

clenz wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:That taunting rule is BS. Reminds me of early in the UM/ASU game when our linebacker shot through and tackled somebody in the ASU backfield for a big loss. He got up all pumped up and jumped around for about 2 seconds and got a **** taunting penalty called on him.

So a WR running down the sidelines, high stepping, waving the ball like a baton, waving at the defense, and what no is okay with you?

I'm all for emotion during games. However, taunting while running (like the are talking about) isn't emotion.
The problem is degrees. I realize observable small differences are subjective so I suppose that they have decided in a no tolerance rule. however, there is a difference in celebration and taunting and the rules don't seem to make that exception.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

OL FU wrote:
clenz wrote: So a WR running down the sidelines, high stepping, waving the ball like a baton, waving at the defense, and what no is okay with you?

The problem is degrees. I realize observable small differences are subjective so I suppose that they have decided in a no tolerance rule. however, there is a difference in celebration and taunting and the rules don't seem to make that exception.
Agreed on that point. I'm all for a celebration AFTER a play. The taunting on the way to the end zone needed to be a live ball foul. That I'm ok with. In terms of the difference between celebration and taunting, I think the lines are very very blurred.
CrackerRiley
Level2
Level2

Post by CrackerRiley »

Now, would Armanti's flips into the endzone been called live-ball or dead-ball calls? Since the flip sometimes started before the goal line.
"There's no I in team, but there's an I in win."
ImageImage
SpeedkingATL
Level1
Level1

Post by SpeedkingATL »

I too agree that taunting and celebration are two different issues. Taunting is fairly easy to recognize and rule accordlingly. Celebration actually requires some judgement of the officials. A flip in the end zone, dunking the ball over the goalpost and doing a sack dance are all things we've seen (At ASU unfortunately) and are excessive. Fistpumps, and celebration with team mates when not excessive should be okay. Once again it requires judgement on the part of the officials. I'm okay with the spot of the foul penalty for those highstepping and dancing into the end zone or holding the ball out in the face of an oposing player while scoring.

I'm surprised the NCAA hasn't sold ad space for the eye black; requiring players to wear eye black with Motorola, IBM, or ESPN written in it. Hope this doesn't give them any ideas. :roll:
tampajag
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: whooties
A.K.A.: hamburger pimp

Post by tampajag »

I expect a few TDs to be called back in some close SWAC games. That is if they even read the rulebooks. :lol:
Griz Growler
I am a fan of: The Montana Grizzlies

Post by Griz Growler »

clenz wrote:

How often does that happen :roll: ? This is another stupid rule that allows refs to use their "judgment" an *uck up the outcome of good football games. Too much gray area's in some of these rules.
EagleDawg
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Gardner-Webb
A.K.A.: EagleDawg

Post by EagleDawg »

Taunting rule changed to a live ball foul after a score is pure BS and will ruin the game. The action has no bearing on the play nor should it affect the score of the game up to the point of infraction. A better rule would be let the score stand and eject the player from the game. That might get them to think twice and a 2nd infraction in a season should result in the player and the head coach getting ejected, 3rd offense and ejection plus one game suspension and so on. That should clean it up a bit. There has to be someway to rule though whether it's taunting or celebrating. Clapping hands, jumping up and down with a teammate(s) or a fist pump or two should be ruled celebrating. Those taunting types of action are easy enough to identify such as flipping into the endzone when no one is within 5 yards, spiking the ball, throwing the ball into the crowd, dancing, etc. can be identified by the NCAA and accurately ruled on by the officials IMO.
JayJ79
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: myself

Post by JayJ79 »

tampajag wrote:I expect a few TDs to be called back in some close SWAC games. That is if they even read the rulebooks. :lol:
with those officials......
only if they put out a Braille version...... :lol:
JayJ79
Level3
Level3

Post by JayJ79 »

EagleDawg wrote:Taunting rule changed to a live ball foul after a score is pure BS and will ruin the game. The action has no bearing on the play nor should it affect the score of the game up to the point of infraction. A better rule would be let the score stand and eject the player from the game. That might get them to think twice and a 2nd infraction in a season should result in the player and the head coach getting ejected, 3rd offense and ejection plus one game suspension and so on. That should clean it up a bit. There has to be someway to rule though whether it's taunting or celebrating. Clapping hands, jumping up and down with a teammate(s) or a fist pump or two should be ruled celebrating. Those taunting types of action are easy enough to identify such as flipping into the endzone when no one is within 5 yards, spiking the ball, throwing the ball into the crowd, dancing, etc. can be identified by the NCAA and accurately ruled on by the officials IMO.
It's only a live ball foul if the player is taunting/celebrating before the play ends.
Once the player has crossed the goal line with the ball (or made a valid reception in the endzone), the play is dead, so any celebration/taunting after that point that is flagged is a dead-ball foul assessed either on the kickoff, or on the extra point/conversion.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

EagleDawg wrote:Taunting rule changed to a live ball foul after a score is pure BS and will ruin the game. The action has no bearing on the play nor should it affect the score of the game up to the point of infraction. A better rule would be let the score stand and eject the player from the game. That might get them to think twice and a 2nd infraction in a season should result in the player and the head coach getting ejected, 3rd offense and ejection plus one game suspension and so on. That should clean it up a bit. There has to be someway to rule though whether it's taunting or celebrating. Clapping hands, jumping up and down with a teammate(s) or a fist pump or two should be ruled celebrating. Those taunting types of action are easy enough to identify such as flipping into the endzone when no one is within 5 yards, spiking the ball, throwing the ball into the crowd, dancing, etc. can be identified by the NCAA and accurately ruled on by the officials IMO.
Well, technically the foul happened with the play was still live, thus being a live ball foul makes sense from that stand point. :coffee:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

I have a problem with the taunting rule. As it is, it is purely a judgment call for the officials. What the officials need to realize is that there are three teams out there and, just like the two schools playing, the officials perform their best when acting as a team. Too many times last year I saw touchdowns (not only by Portland State but also by our opponents) that the two officials signaled as such, yet here comes a flag from 30 yards away calling a taunting penalty. If the two officials in the end zone are fine with it, why muddle the issue?

With this new rule, it only takes one official to determine if he will take the TD away because in his opinion, he mistook celebration and emotion for taunting. To me, this rule gives more power to the officials to decide the outcome.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Yeah, the new taunting rule is bad... I don't approve of taunting... but, this is way to subjective and could change outcomes of games.

The SEC has a bad habit of calling celebration/taunting penalties. I remember this on on AJ Green last year against LSU. Georgia scores the go-ahead touchdown with ~1:00, AJ Green celebrates (as expected, and doesn't over do it) with his teammates... 15 yard penalty, kickoff sets up LSU touchdown.

Here's the flagrant celebration:
[youtube][/youtube]
:roll:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I agree with the taunting rule being bad. However, in situations like the Leon Lett Super Bowl play, if you have a player on the other team who has his head in the game, the penalty will often be unnecessary. I have no problem with the Smurfs team-celebrating a touchdown, Butch Johnson's California Quake celebration, or Mark Gastineau celebrating a sack. That's NOT taunting, IMO. A guy walking the goalline with the ball only to step over the line when someone comes to tackle him IS taunting. (You know, the old playground cr@p.) The NCAA is joining the NFL: the No Fun League.

I don't agree with the wedge rule, either. The Flying Wedge has been illegal for years, and rightly so. I never saw anyone getting hurt with the five-man wedge, so what's the deal with the three-man wedge? Rules eliminating tradition on a phony safety issue are bad. The wedge isn't the safety issue; it's beefing the players up to 300-400 pounds that's the problem.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
OhioHen
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by OhioHen »

CrackerRiley wrote:Now, would Armanti's flips into the endzone been called live-ball or dead-ball calls? Since the flip sometimes started before the goal line.
Live ball foul at the one. Fifteen yard penalty places the ball at the 16. If reaching the one resulted in a first down, it is now first and ten at the 16. If not, the down counts and it is whatever down and goal to go at the 16. Showboating DURING the play is finally being recognized as a live ball foul.
OhioHen
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by OhioHen »

Griz Growler wrote:
clenz wrote: So a WR running down the sidelines, high stepping, waving the ball like a baton, waving at the defense, and what no is okay with you?

How often does that happen :roll: ? This is another stupid rule that allows refs to use their "judgment" an *uck up the outcome of good football games. Too much gray area's in some of these rules.
How often? Only on about 90% of long TDs. Penalty needs to be assessed from the first instance of unsportsmanlike conduct. If a player starts "strutting his stuff" at the 30, penalize from the 30 and put the ball at the 45.
JayJ79
Level3
Level3

Post by JayJ79 »

SuperHornet wrote:A guy walking the goalline with the ball only to step over the line when someone comes to tackle him IS taunting. (You know, the old playground cr@p.)
What if there is only a few seconds on the clock, and the score would give your team the lead, and milking those extra couple seconds eliminates the need to kickoff?

That's not taunting, it's clock management.

Granted, I don't know if I've ever seen that scenario actually play out, but still.
JConnolly
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Elon Phoenix

Post by JConnolly »

JayJ79 wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:A guy walking the goalline with the ball only to step over the line when someone comes to tackle him IS taunting. (You know, the old playground cr@p.)
What if there is only a few seconds on the clock, and the score would give your team the lead, and milking those extra couple seconds eliminates the need to kickoff?

Granted, I don't know if I've ever seen that scenario actually play out, but still.
Clock Management??? How much time can someone take off the clock by running the goalline? Maybe 3 seconds if there's nobody within 20 yards of him? How often is that going to happen anyways? You could always pull a Brian Westbrook from a few years ago and just take a knee at the 1, instead of going in for the TD.
EU, You Know
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

JayJ79 wrote:

I do this all the time when I play NFL Madden... :nod: :nod:
ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4

Post by ASUMountaineer »

JConnolly wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

Clock Management??? How much time can someone take off the clock by running the goalline? Maybe 3 seconds if there's nobody within 20 yards of him? How often is that going to happen anyways? You could always pull a Brian Westbrook from a few years ago and just take a knee at the 1, instead of going in for the TD.
Well, in Jay's scenario the TD would give the team the lead, so "pulling a Brian Westbrook" would not be useful. I get your point, Jay's scenario would be rare. However, it is possible, so that begs the question of what the refs would do.

The problem, I see, with these types of rules is it's an "all or nothing" in which the infraction doesn't affect the play. If there's no one around, and I'm highstepping from the 20, I would have scored regardless. Why take that score away? That doesn't seem right to me (not that "taunting" is right). I like the suggestion of ejecting the player, and subsequent occurrences increase the penalty.
Appalachian State Mountaineers:

National Champions: 2005, 2006, and 2007
Southern Conference Champions: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! WE'RE GONNA SHOUT IT! NOTHING'S HOTTER THAN A-S-U!
JMU DJ
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Leeeeeeroy Jeeeenkins

Post by JMU DJ »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Yeah, the new taunting rule is bad... I don't approve of taunting... but, this is way to subjective and could change outcomes of games.

The SEC has a bad habit of calling celebration/taunting penalties. I remember this on on AJ Green last year against LSU. Georgia scores the go-ahead touchdown with ~1:00, AJ Green celebrates (as expected, and doesn't over do it) with his teammates... 15 yard penalty, kickoff sets up LSU touchdown.

Here's the flagrant celebration:
[youtube][/youtube]
:roll:
:ohno: :evil: :ohno: :evil: