Bad News for UD

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Bad News for UD

Post by bluehenbillk »

Learned last night that TE Josh Baker was denied a 6th year of eligibility by the NCAA. Baker tore his ACL in the 1st quarter of the Hens' 1st game last year. Baker was an All-American and All-CAA caliber TE that UD will greatly miss. He'll try to latch on as an NFL free agent now, at least he got the ruling before the draft.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Re: Bad News for UD

Post by andy7171 »

1st quarter of 1st game, that's rough!
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

That's surprising. I wonder what the reasoning was?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

It seems like he would have an excellent case to get another year.
:thumb:
SloStang
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Post by SloStang »

Sometimes I do not understand the NCAA. I agree it seems like it should have been a done deal seeing he played less than one quarter.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

It happens - the NCAA's never really been kind to athletes and this is just another small salvo in that regard. Oh well, certainly wish Baker the best in his life post football.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Shellin
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: Shellin

Post by Shellin »

From looking at his bio on Delaware's website it looks like he used a voluntary redshirt back in 2005. As far as I understand it, the NCAA only grants a 6th year of eligibility if two seasons are lost due to reasons beyond the players control (usually injury). Since he wasn't injured in 2005 he wasn't granted the sixth year.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Shellin wrote:From looking at his bio on Delaware's website it looks like he used a voluntary redshirt back in 2005. As far as I understand it, the NCAA only grants a 6th year of eligibility if two seasons are lost due to reasons beyond the players control (usually injury). Since he wasn't injured in 2005 he wasn't granted the sixth year.
Albany had two guys last year get 6th years resulting from injuries occuring only in one year.

One kid had the injury occur while at junior college before coming to Albany. The other was a spring practice injury that required him to miss the entire next season (ACL and MCL tear).

Both those kids both also took their voluntary redshirts in prior years.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Shellin wrote:From looking at his bio on Delaware's website it looks like he used a voluntary redshirt back in 2005. As far as I understand it, the NCAA only grants a 6th year of eligibility if two seasons are lost due to reasons beyond the players control (usually injury). Since he wasn't injured in 2005 he wasn't granted the sixth year.
It wasn't a voluntary redshirt - he was held out for the year due to a nagging ankle injury. That, coupled, with last year's knee blowout in the first game, were the two injuries that were part of the petition to the NCAA. However, the NCAA does not always look upon lingering injuries with the athlete in mind - they'd rather he gut it out and play on it.
Shellin
Level1
Level1

Post by Shellin »

danefan wrote:
Albany had two guys last year get 6th years resulting from injuries occuring only in one year.

One kid had the injury occur while at junior college before coming to Albany. The other was a spring practice injury that required him to miss the entire next season (ACL and MCL tear).

Interesting, I'll have to look up the rule. I know this was the reason given for Lyle Moevao (Oregon State QB) not being granted a sixth year.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Shellin wrote:
danefan wrote:

Interesting, I'll have to look up the rule. I know this was the reason given for Lyle Moevao (Oregon State QB) not being granted a sixth year.
BTW, I forgot to add this to my earlier post, but I was very surprised that both of those Albany kids got their 6th years.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

There was a movement to kill 6th years altogether & just give athletes a flat 5 years of eligibilty, anyone know what happened with that?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

bluehenbillk wrote:There was a movement to kill 6th years altogether & just give athletes a flat 5 years of eligibilty, anyone know what happened with that?
Not to sound like an uncaring turd, but SIX years? That's like the 22 year old kid who is still in high school. If you haven't graduated by then...
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

SeattleGriz wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:There was a movement to kill 6th years altogether & just give athletes a flat 5 years of eligibilty, anyone know what happened with that?
Not to sound like an uncaring turd, but SIX years? That's like the 22 year old kid who is still in high school. If you haven't graduated by then...
Didn't Lex have a sixth year or did he not use his redshirt?

Sorry to hear that UD boys.
Shellin
Level1
Level1

Post by Shellin »

SeattleGriz wrote:Not to sound like an uncaring turd, but SIX years? That's like the 22 year old kid who is still in high school. If you haven't graduated by then...
Generally I would tend to agree, but in most cases that I can recall players that have been granted a 6th year are either pursuing a second degree or pursuing a graduate degree. If they were working on a 6th year to get their first undergraduate degree, then I agree wholeheartedly.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Baker and UD are appealing the decision. KT (News Journal) says they have pretty strong documentation of his injuries during his redshirt year that would have prevented him from playing anyway.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

What's interesting too in all of this is that if he's denied the extra year from the NCAA, he can however play another year of football at the DII or DIII level, as the rules regarding participation are different at that level. So, while he may not be able to play for UD next year, he could suit up for West Chester (DII school) and be on the other side playing Delaware in the opener. Yes, the NCAA is just simply brilliant in it's ability to fluster and restrict student athletes with it's bueracracy. Well done NCAA.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

93henfan wrote:Baker and UD are appealing the decision. KT (News Journal) says they have pretty strong documentation of his injuries during his redshirt year that would have prevented him from playing anyway.
My understanding is even though UD "has documentation", the NCAA looks at it like was there really an injury that took place that forced a red-shirt year? Apparently since they said no, that's their take, right or wrong. I don't have a stat for it, but I can't remember many examples of anything where the NCAA reversed itself on rulings, could probably count then on one hand.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

bluehenbillk wrote:
93henfan wrote:Baker and UD are appealing the decision. KT (News Journal) says they have pretty strong documentation of his injuries during his redshirt year that would have prevented him from playing anyway.
My understanding is even though UD "has documentation", the NCAA looks at it like was there really an injury that took place that forced a red-shirt year? Apparently since they said no, that's their take, right or wrong. I don't have a stat for it, but I can't remember many examples of anything where the NCAA reversed itself on rulings, could probably count then on one hand.
It's not like the NCAA is that fond of Delaware right now anyway, while it watches the state prepare for it's appeal of the sports betting case to SCOTUS. (not that the issues should have anything to do with each other, but this is the NCAA so who knows what goes on behind closed doors there)

Assuming the Baker appeal has no chance, is West Chester the likely D-II choice? It would be cool to see him once more anyway.
GrizFan5
Level1
Level1

Post by GrizFan5 »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:[quote="SeattleGrizDidn't Lex have a sixth year or did he not use his redshirt?

Sorry to hear that UD boys.
Lex Hilliard of Montana finished in 5 years. He hadn't redshirted, so he just took his redshirt year to rehab his torn achilles tendon.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Is he the UD TE that killed UNI in 2007?

We tend to have trouble with TE's.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

clenz wrote:Is he the UD TE that killed UNI in 2007?

I believe that was Robbie Agnone. The boxscore doesn't show Baker with any stats, but this picture appears to show him possibly scoring a TD. Agnone was #89 and Baker #80. I'm confused:

Last edited by 93henfan on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

93henfan wrote:

I believe that was Robbie Agnone.
I just checked the stats and this is what your WR looked like

Duncan 8 112 1 44
Cuff 7 59 0 16
Love 4 48 0 20
Michaud 3 65 0 33
Agnone 3 28 1 11
Totals... 25 312 2 44

I got the UD game confused with Sicko running wild on us. I take it Duncan, Love, and Michaud were WR? I know Cuff was that chess loving RB of yours.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

93henfan wrote:

I believe that was Robbie Agnone. The boxscore doesn't show Baker with any stats, but this picture appears to show him possibly scoring a TD. Agnone was #89 and Baker #80. I'm confused:

I don't know if he did score

1st - 3:05 DELAWARE - Duncan 7 yd pass from Flacco (Striefsky kick blockd), 7-37 1:40, DELAWARE 6 - UNI 10
2nd - 03:22 DELAWARE - Agnone 7 yd pass from Flacco (Striefsky kick blockd), 12-80 4:47, DELAWARE 12 - UNI 10
2nd - 03:02 DELAWARE - E. Johnson 55 yd fumble recovery (Striefsky kick), , DELAWARE 19 - UNI 10
3rd - 07:40 DELAWARE - Striefsky 47 yd field goal, 10-46 3:05, DELAWARE 22 - UNI 20
3rd - 02:56 DELAWARE - Cuff 15 yd run (Striefsky kick), 8-72 3:09, DELAWARE 29 - UNI 20
4th 08:03 DELAWARE - Striefsky 46 yd field goal, 11-32 5:43, DELAWARE 32 - UNI 20
4th - 00:41 DELAWARE - Flacco 1 yd run (Striefsky kick), 10-55 4:31, DELAWARE 39 - UNI 27

That picture looks to be after Flaccos TD run

I need to stop talkin about that game. We ran you off the god damn field the first quarter and a half or so then stopped running the ball....god dammit!

Speaking of which the game was on ESPN Classic yesterday morning
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

clenz wrote: I need to stop talkin about that game. We ran you off the god damn field the first quarter and a half or so then stopped running the ball....god dammit!

Speaking of which the game was on ESPN Classic yesterday morning
I knew you'd enjoy that picture. :lol:

ESPN Classic? Damn. Wish I had seen it again.