Bobcat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Re: Israel-Palestine Drama Thread

Post by Bobcat »

kalm wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:58 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:43 am

Given a choice between international goodwill and protecting the safety of Israelis, Israel is going to choose safety. Hamas knows and counts on this. Every "disproportionate" response by Israel causes outrage, creates more morons who think Israel is to blame and most importantly increases funding to Hamas.
Yep.

And it doesn’t secure long term safety either.
It would if Israel did it right, but they will let everyone pressure them into being humanitarian. Even after they were attacked
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:49 am
kalm wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:20 am I find this hard to disagree with.

No sane person would disagree

Why do you find it so hard?
It’s a turn of phrase.

It means I agree with it.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Bobcat wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:27 am
kalm wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:58 am

Yep.

And it doesn’t secure long term safety either.
It would if Israel did it right, but they will let everyone pressure them into being humanitarian. Even after they were attacked
What’s wrong with being humanitarian?
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

dal4018 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:58 am
Baldy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:35 am
Really? What was their currency called? Who was their president?

Inquiring minds want to know..
FDR knew and Churchill paid them a visit in '37
What was the capital of this mythical place? :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Not a huge Thom Friedman fan but this is a really solid analysis.
If you care about Israel, you should be more worried than any other time since 1967. Back then, Israel defeated the armies of three Arab states — Egypt, Syria and Jordan — in what became known as the Six-Day War. Today, if you look closely, you’ll see that Israel is now fighting the Six-Front War.

This war is being fought by and through nonstate actors, nation-states, social networks, ideological movements, West Bank communities and Israeli political factions, and it is the most complex war that I’ve ever covered. But one thing is crystal clear to me: Israel cannot win this six-front war alone. It can win only if Israel — and the United States — can assemble a global alliance.

Unfortunately, Israel today has a prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, and a ruling coalition that will not and cannot produce the keystone needed to sustain such a global alliance. That keystone is to declare an end to the expansion of Israeli settlements in the West Bank and overhaul Israel’s relations with the Palestinian Authority so that it becomes a credible, legitimate Palestinian partner that can govern a post-Hamas Gaza and forge a broader two-state solution including the West Bank.

If Israel is asking its best allies to help the Jewish state seek justice in Gaza while asking them to look the other way as Israel builds a settlement kingdom in the West Bank with the express goal of annexation, that is strategically and morally incoherent.

It won’t work. Israel will not be able to generate the time, the financial assistance, the legitimacy, the Palestinian partner or the global allies it needs to win this six-front war.

And all six fronts are now hiding in plain sight.

First, Israel is fighting a full-scale war against Hamas in and around Gaza, in which, we can now see, Hamas still has so much residual capacity that it was able to launch a seaborne attack on Israel on Tuesday and on Wednesday fired long-range rockets toward Israel’s southern port city of Eilat and northern port city of Haifa.

It is terrifying to see how many resources Hamas diverted to build weapons rather than to aid Gaza’s human capital — and how effectively it hid that from Israel and the world. Indeed, it is hard not to notice the contrast between Gaza’s evident human poverty and the wealth of weaponry Hamas has built and deployed.

Hamas’s dream has long been the unification of the fronts surrounding Israel, regionally and globally. Israel’s strategy has always been to act in ways to prevent that — until this Netanyahu coalition of ultra-Orthodox and Jewish supremacists came to power last December and began behaving in ways that actually helped foster the unification of the anti-Israel fronts.

How so? The Jewish supremacists in Netanyahu’s cabinet immediately began to challenge the status quo on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, which is revered by Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary and where one of Islam’s holiest sites, the Aqsa Mosque, stands. The Netanyahu government began taking steps to impose much harsher conditions on Palestinians from the West Bank and Gaza held in Israeli jails. And it laid plans for a huge expansion of Israeli settlements in the West Bank to prevent a contiguous Palestinian state from ever coming into being there. This is the first Israeli government ever to make annexation of the West Bank a stated objective in its coalition agreement.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/25/opin ... wLFtCahcAs
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:32 am Not a huge Thom Friedman fan but this is a really solid analysis.
If you care about Israel, you should be more worried than any other time since 1967. Back then, Israel defeated the armies of three Arab states — Egypt, Syria and Jordan — in what became known as the Six-Day War. Today, if you look closely, you’ll see that Israel is now fighting the Six-Front War.

This war is being fought by and through nonstate actors, nation-states, social networks, ideological movements, West Bank communities and Israeli political factions, and it is the most complex war that I’ve ever covered. But one thing is crystal clear to me: Israel cannot win this six-front war alone. It can win only if Israel — and the United States — can assemble a global alliance.

Unfortunately, Israel today has a prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, and a ruling coalition that will not and cannot produce the keystone needed to sustain such a global alliance. That keystone is to declare an end to the expansion of Israeli settlements in the West Bank and overhaul Israel’s relations with the Palestinian Authority so that it becomes a credible, legitimate Palestinian partner that can govern a post-Hamas Gaza and forge a broader two-state solution including the West Bank.

If Israel is asking its best allies to help the Jewish state seek justice in Gaza while asking them to look the other way as Israel builds a settlement kingdom in the West Bank with the express goal of annexation, that is strategically and morally incoherent.

It won’t work. Israel will not be able to generate the time, the financial assistance, the legitimacy, the Palestinian partner or the global allies it needs to win this six-front war.

And all six fronts are now hiding in plain sight.

First, Israel is fighting a full-scale war against Hamas in and around Gaza, in which, we can now see, Hamas still has so much residual capacity that it was able to launch a seaborne attack on Israel on Tuesday and on Wednesday fired long-range rockets toward Israel’s southern port city of Eilat and northern port city of Haifa.

It is terrifying to see how many resources Hamas diverted to build weapons rather than to aid Gaza’s human capital — and how effectively it hid that from Israel and the world. Indeed, it is hard not to notice the contrast between Gaza’s evident human poverty and the wealth of weaponry Hamas has built and deployed.

Hamas’s dream has long been the unification of the fronts surrounding Israel, regionally and globally. Israel’s strategy has always been to act in ways to prevent that — until this Netanyahu coalition of ultra-Orthodox and Jewish supremacists came to power last December and began behaving in ways that actually helped foster the unification of the anti-Israel fronts.

How so? The Jewish supremacists in Netanyahu’s cabinet immediately began to challenge the status quo on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, which is revered by Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary and where one of Islam’s holiest sites, the Aqsa Mosque, stands. The Netanyahu government began taking steps to impose much harsher conditions on Palestinians from the West Bank and Gaza held in Israeli jails. And it laid plans for a huge expansion of Israeli settlements in the West Bank to prevent a contiguous Palestinian state from ever coming into being there. This is the first Israeli government ever to make annexation of the West Bank a stated objective in its coalition agreement.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/25/opin ... wLFtCahcAs
I didn't know that guy reads this board. He's a day late and dollar short though.
Haven't seen this posted before, so I gotta mention it. A large part of what is driving the hatred concerns the Al Aqsa mosque. Israel now has some hardliners in power that want to drop that mosque and rebuild the 3rd temple. Over that last couple of years, the Israelis have used their military to allow the hardliners to enter the mosque and hold worship there. Talk about pissing a population off.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Baldy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:47 pm
dal4018 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:58 am

FDR knew and Churchill paid them a visit in '37
Don't know but I know that it existed before Israel
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dal4018 wrote:
Baldy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:47 pm What was the capital of this mythical place? :lol:
Palestine existed before Israel was united under King Saul over 3,000 years ago?

Maybe the Palestinians and Jews should leave and give it back to the Canaanites.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:41 pm
dal4018 wrote:
Palestine existed before Israel was united under King Saul over 3,000 years ago?

Maybe the Palestinians and Jews should leave and give it back to the Canaanites.
Wished that they were here
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

I think we all owe the paleo-Americans an apology.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:42 pm I think we all owe the paleo-Americans an apology.
I personally like their diet.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:56 am
kalm wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:42 pm I think we all owe the paleo-Americans an apology.
Wild game, omega 3 rich salmon, shellfish, berries, camas root, squash, beans, amaranth…

What’s not to like? :thumb:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:19 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:56 am

Wild game, omega 3 rich salmon, shellfish, berries, camas root, squash, beans, amaranth…

don't forget the shrooms
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:00 am
kalm wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:19 am

don't forget the shrooms
:thumb:

And peyote.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:39 pm
Baldy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:47 pm
So did Wakanda...and neither one has ever existed.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Baldy wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:48 am
dal4018 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:39 pm

Wakanda was a creation of Stan Lee
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

dal4018 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:33 pm
I live a couple of miles outside the village of Makanda
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:12 am
I have a friend who lives outside of Waukon, a few miles away from Cheney.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:36 am
houndawg wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:12 am
I have a friend who lives outside of Waukon, a few miles away from Cheney.

Northern Iowa Coach Mark Farley was from Waukon, Iowa. Known as the “walk-on from Waukon," Farley walked on to the UNI football team and became a three-year starter as an inside linebacker. He led the team in tackles in 1984 and 1985, was named Gateway Football Conference Co-Defensive Player of the Year in 1985, first team all-conference three times, earned honorable mention All-America honors twice and twice named Academic All-American.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

And it could be argued that the concept of "Palestine" was a creation of Britain and France (as part of the Sykes-Picot Agreement).
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:24 am
And it could be argued that the concept of "Palestine" was a creation of Britain and France (as part of the Sykes-Picot Agreement).
So they just decided to drop off the Jews on their doorstep. Then Churchill created the problem.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

I suppose these things are impossible to test before making available?
A WhatsApp feature that generates images in response to users’ searches returns a picture of a gun or a boy with a gun when prompted with the terms “Palestinian”, “Palestine” or “Muslim boy Palestinian”, the Guardian has learned.

The search results varied when tested by different users, but the Guardian verified through screenshots and its own tests that various stickers portraying guns surfaced for these three search results. Prompts for “Israeli boy” generated cartoons of children playing soccer and reading. In response to a prompt for “Israel army” the AI created drawings of soldiers smiling and praying, no guns involved.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ias-israel
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:24 am
England caused trouble everywhere they went and France followed.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

kalm wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:35 am I suppose these things are impossible to test before making available?
A WhatsApp feature that generates images in response to users’ searches returns a picture of a gun or a boy with a gun when prompted with the terms “Palestinian”, “Palestine” or “Muslim boy Palestinian”, the Guardian has learned.

The search results varied when tested by different users, but the Guardian verified through screenshots and its own tests that various stickers portraying guns surfaced for these three search results. Prompts for “Israeli boy” generated cartoons of children playing soccer and reading. In response to a prompt for “Israel army” the AI created drawings of soldiers smiling and praying, no guns involved.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ias-israel
What about Jews and all the wrongdoings they have committed.The IDF even attack their own kind.