Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Who disagrees with this?

Post by kalm »

Democracy? Diversity? Tolerance? Pluralism? Restored faith in government institutions?

Sounds like a bunch of fooking lefty librarians to me.
The unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, as stated in the Declaration of Independence, are principles that bind us together as Americans. They have enabled the United States to strive toward a more perfect union, even when we have not always lived up to those ideals.

As a diverse nation of people with different backgrounds and beliefs, democracy holds us together. We are a country rooted in the rule of law, where the protection of the rights of all people is paramount. At the same time, we live among our fellow citizens, underscoring the importance of compassion, tolerance, pluralism, and respect for others.

We, the undersigned, represent a wide range of views across a breadth of issues. We recognize that these views can exist peaceably side by side when rooted in the principles of democracy. Debate and disagreement are central features in a healthy democracy. Civility and respect in political discourse, whether in an election year or otherwise, are essential.

Americans have a strong interest in supporting democratic movements and respect for human rights around the world because free societies elsewhere contribute to our own security and prosperity here at home. But that interest is undermined when others see our own house in disarray. The world will not wait for us to address our problems, so we must both continue to strive toward a more perfect union and help those abroad looking for U.S. leadership.

Each of us has a role to play and responsibilities to uphold. Our elected officials must lead by example and govern effectively in ways that deliver for the American people. This, in turn, will help to restore trust in public service. The rest of us must engage in civil dialogue; respect democratic institutions and rights; uphold safe, secure, and accessible elections; and contribute to local, state, or national improvement.

By signing this statement, we reaffirm our commitment to the principles of democracy undergirding this great nation, protecting our freedom, and respecting our fellow citizens. When united by these convictions, America is stronger as a country and an inspiration for others.
https://www.mediaite.com/uncategorized/ ... statement/
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Who disagrees with this?

Post by GannonFan »

I don't like the use of the word "undergirding". It looks weird and there are plenty of other words that could've been used. I think someone was trying to look smart by using it. Not necessary in this.

Sounds great. Biggest reach, I think, is getting "our elected officials" to "lead by example and govern effectively". Thing of all those in Congress who will have to swear off insider trading - gonna be tough to get their noses out of that trough.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Bobcat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

Not me. diversity is weakness and divisive. You are either American or you are not, strong countries do not have different beliefs they have collective and focused ideals.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Bobcat wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:23 am Not me. diversity is weakness and divisive. You are either American or you are not, strong countries do not have different beliefs they have collective and focused ideals.
The United States of America has historically come together during times of crisis but has always had people with different beliefs and ideals. Diversity of ideas, backgrounds, perspectives has helped make this country the greatest on earth. Where we're failing now is in the and lack of tolerance and respect for other beliefs and ideals that is endemic in both right and left extremes. The lack of tolerance and respect is an impediment to working for the common good.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:39 am
Bobcat wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:23 am Not me. diversity is weakness and divisive. You are either American or you are not, strong countries do not have different beliefs they have collective and focused ideals.
The United States of America has historically come together during times of crisis but has always had people with different beliefs and ideals. Diversity of ideas, backgrounds, perspectives has helped make this country the greatest on earth. Where we're failing now is in the and lack of tolerance and respect for other beliefs and ideals that is endemic in both right and left extremes. The lack of tolerance and respect is an impediment to working for the common good.
See my siggy..
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Col Hogan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:40 pm
See my siggy..
Did Aristotle really say that “Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society” or is it :bs: ?
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:11 pm

See my siggy..
Did Aristotle really say that “Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society”?
According to a number of sources…yes, he did. One for example https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/search ... tle+apathy

Other sources toss out “right-wing” and “racists” as pushers of a false narrative about the quote that they say Aristotle would never say…

Take your pick…

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Col Hogan wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:11 pm Did Aristotle really say that “Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society”?
According to a number of sources…yes, he did. One for example https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/search ... tle+apathy

Other sources toss out “right-wing” and “racists” as pushers of a false narrative about the quote that they say Aristotle would never say…

Take your pick…
1) I like Goodreads.
2) I’m no expert but I believe Aristotle said a lot of provocative things to make people think.

So I think he said it. Don’t agree with it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

See my siggy..
Hi Colonel!

Is tolerance inheritantly bad?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

:thumb:
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

kalm wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:59 am

See my siggy..
Hi Colonel!

Depends…I tolerate some of the quirks of my wife and my kids…

I don’t tolerate ideas that I feel are divisive or immoral…

I accept holders of those ideas as humans entitled to the ideas…but don’t ask me to support or approve them (the ideas, not the humans)

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:59 am
kalm wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:59 am

Hi Colonel!
:mrgreen:

I accept holders of those ideas as humans entitled to the ideas…but don’t ask me to support or approve them (the ideas, not the humans)
Quit being so damn reasonable!

:mrgreen:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Col Hogan wrote:
kalm wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:59 am Hi Colonel!

I agree.

I feel that the idea that people who are different from you, whether because of ethnicity or sexual identity, are inferior and/or deviant is divisive and immoral.

I feel that the idea of forcing your ideology and morals, woke or puritan, on others is divisive and immoral.

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:32 am
Col Hogan wrote:

I agree.

I feel that the idea that people who are different from you, whether because of ethnicity or sexual identity, are inferior and/or deviant is divisive and immoral.

I feel that the idea of forcing your ideology and morals, woke or puritan, on others is divisive and immoral.

So, you’re willing to tolerate anything…no limits…

The last virtues of a dying society…

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Col Hogan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:53 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:32 am

I agree.

I used to lean a little Libertarian in that same aspect, but have realized that "no limits" is as you say Col. I know the board has devolved into slap fights, but good to see you. Hope you and the family are well and getting in lots of road trips.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:09 pm
Col Hogan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:53 pm

I used to lean a little Libertarian in that same aspect, but have realized that "no limits" is as you say Col. I know the board has devolved into slap fights, but good to see you. Hope you and the family are well and getting in lots of road trips.
We’re doing well, thanks for asking. We had a 3 week road trip in August that included the Rock and Roll HOF and the Christmas Story House.

This is a short stop in to see if anything has changed. Apparently it hasn’t.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Who disagrees with this?

Post by UNI88 »

Col Hogan wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:09 pm

We’re doing well, thanks for asking. We had a 3 week road trip in August that included the Rock and Roll HOF and the Christmas Story House.

This is a short stop in to see if anything has changed. Apparently it hasn’t.
Unfortunately it hasn’t.

I disagree with the I’ll tolerate anything. I think people should be free to do what they want as long as it doesn’t infringe upon others.

That applies to drag shows and a coach praying on the field. I am tired of wokehodists and puritans trying to force their moral code on others. Let parents decide what is best for their kids not some elected yahoo s and bureaucrats.
Bobcat
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

America is by far NOT the greatest country on earth. We have less freedoms today than we did 50 years ago and more are disappearing everyday. Try and drink out of a plastic water bottle in Massachusetts from now on. Save the talking points this isn't the land of the free, its the land of the ever controlled
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Bobcat wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:01 am

America is by far NOT the greatest country on earth. We have less freedoms today than we did 50 years ago and more are disappearing everyday. Try and drink out of a plastic water bottle in Massachusetts from now on. Save the talking points this isn't the land of the free, its the land of the ever controlled
You can drink out of one all you want, no one can stop you. I'm sure what you're referring to is the sale of new plastic water bottles. Heck, I'm not sure we even had plastic water bottles 50 years ago.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:14 am
Bobcat wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:01 am
You can drink out of one all you want, no one can stop you. I'm sure what you're referring to is the sale of new plastic water bottles. Heck, I'm not sure we even had plastic water bottles 50 years ago.
When he mentioned less freedom and more control, I thought he was talking about not being able to get a book from a school library or parents not being able to make medical decisions for their children. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:51 am

When he mentioned less freedom and more control, I thought he was talking about not being able to get a book from a school library or parents not being able to make medical decisions for their children. :coffee:
Wasnt it Patrick Henry who said “Give me micro plastics or give me death!”?
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

P0rnography should be widely available in schools, and female circumcision should be available for all young girls if that's their parent's wish. :nod:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Who disagrees with this?

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote:

P0rnography should be widely available in schools, and female circumcision should be available for all young girls if that's their parent's wish. :nod:
Pornography like this?

The 6 Raunchiest, Most Depraved Sex Acts
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:00 am
Baldy wrote: P0rnography should be widely available in schools, and female circumcision should be available for all young girls if that's their parent's wish. :nod:
Pornography like this?

Is that from Anne Frank’s Diary?
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:00 am
Baldy wrote: P0rnography should be widely available in schools, and female circumcision should be available for all young girls if that's their parent's wish. :nod:
Pornography like this?

Absolutely!

Nice tap dance around the female circumcision part, too! :clap:

:lol: