Team Trump v/s Everyone

Political discussions
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Team Trump v/s Everyone

Post by Winterborn »

[I have read it as well, years ago. Interesting is about as far as I will go with it. The premises of the book isn't anything spectacular. There is always change as one generation ages and another comes up. Then that new generation learns all the painful lessons that the previous generation went through, and tried to teach them about, but the new generation thought they were better than the old and ignored them. Wash, rinse, repeat.

That "timeline" is a no brainier for anybody that understands human history. The authors just dumbed it down (sensationalized it) and sold a book on it. :twocents:

You both now owe me 10 bucks or a beer. :thumb:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:10 am
Ibanez wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:06 am

Yes and i'm re-reading it now.

It's interesting...for a book written in the late 90s, the authors were quite accurate. We're entering the twilight years of the 4th Turning (2024-2025) and that should bring chaos. And what do we have - Trump's indictment, Biden losing his damn mind, Senators are freezing at the podium and have no idea where they are or what they're supposed to do. We have candidates who are going to end the weaponization of the gov't by weaponizing the gov't, We have interest rates AND home prices rising (there usually is an inverse here) making homeownership more unattainable, ballooning debt and deficits, a dwindling military stockpile, dwindling projection of American power (see Russia) and what else....oh yeah TV shows where Milfs bang each others sons. :lol:
Excellent. I suggested it on here years ago and yes it’s amazingly accurate and quite informative on generational archetypes and what shaped each of us. And all the way back to the War of the Roses. I’m currently listening to the sequel - The Fourth Turning is Here - right now.

To add to your crisis period list:

The Great Recession
Covid
Climate Change
Lost faith in institutions
Extreme political division
Extreme cultural division

A rapid change era as culture approached peak selfishness. The winds of late fall through winter sweeping the dead wood and detritus (Boomer Generation) from the forest. :thumb:
Those nasty boomers holding the people back. :lol:

The thing about change is it is never what you expect. :coffee:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:50 am
kalm wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:10 am

Excellent. I suggested it on here years ago and yes it’s amazingly accurate and quite informative on generational archetypes and what shaped each of us. And all the way back to the War of the Roses. I’m currently listening to the sequel - The Fourth Turning is Here - right now.

To add to your crisis period list:

The Great Recession
Covid
Climate Change
Lost faith in institutions
Extreme political division
Extreme cultural division

A rapid change era as culture approached peak selfishness. The winds of late fall through winter sweeping the dead wood and detritus (Boomer Generation) from the forest. :thumb:

Literally…on both. ^
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:01 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:50 am

Literally…on both. ^
If I am understanding your post correctly (and I am probably not) but am I to infer that your belief is that baby boomers are holding the people back?

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:13 am Image
So kalm is precursor, even a prophet of the Millennial generation.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:08 am
kalm wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:01 am

Literally…on both. ^
If I am understanding your post correctly (and I am probably not) but am I to infer that your belief is that baby boomers are holding the people back?
No. I was being semi-glib. Without getting too far into the book (which you really should read and I think you’d enjoy)…

There 4 generational archetypes every 80-100 years as well as 4 “turnings”. The turnings are like the seasons: awakening, exploration, unraveling, crisis (spring summer fall winter).

Each generation is born into their place within that cycle. They really have no choice in the role they play. Boomers were born during an awakening and destined to die in or near the next crisis which is now. Crises occur when greed and consolidated power reach their peak and change is required while those old enough to remember the previous crisis (Great Depression-WWII) have past on.
Last edited by kalm on Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:12 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:13 am Image
With some Gen Z thrown in.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:16 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:12 am

Good point.

I'm a fan of the Megan Mullally memes ...
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:48 am [I have read it as well, years ago. Interesting is about as far as I will go with it. The premises of the book isn't anything spectacular. There is always change as one generation ages and another comes up. Then that new generation learns all the painful lessons that the previous generation went through, and tried to teach them about, but the new generation thought they were better than the old and ignored them. Wash, rinse, repeat.

That "timeline" is a no brainier for anybody that understands human history. The authors just dumbed it down (sensationalized it) and sold a book on it. :twocents:

I'll get you a beer...but you have to be present to collect. :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:15 am

No. I was being semi-glib. Without getting too far into the book (which you really should read and I think you’d enjoy)…

There 4 generational archetypes every 80-100 years as well as 4 “turnings”. The turnings are like the seasons: awakening, exploration, unraveling, crisis (spring summer fall winter).

Each generation is born into their place within that cycle. They really have no choice in the role they play. Boomers were born during an awakening and destined to die in or near the next crisis which is now. Crises occur when greed and consolidated power reach their peak and change is required while those old enough to remember the previous crisis (Great Depression-WWII) have past on.
I have. See my post up above when I replied to Ibanez.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:20 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:16 am

Good point.

I'm a fan of the Megan Mullally memes ...
I do too. :lol:

FYI: I would bang that Gen Xer like a screen door in a tornado.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:27 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:48 am [I have read it as well, years ago. Interesting is about as far as I will go with it. The premises of the book isn't anything spectacular. There is always change as one generation ages and another comes up. Then that new generation learns all the painful lessons that the previous generation went through, and tried to teach them about, but the new generation thought they were better than the old and ignored them. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'll get you a beer...but you have to be present to collect. :lol:
Deal! I think I owe you one anyway. :whistle:

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Each generation contains two or three sub-genrations, people 20 years apart in age have little in common. Like with Boomers - there is a generational cultural and age division among white boomers depending on whether you were listening to Elvis or the Beatles or Devo
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Hard times make for hard men.
Hard men make for good times.
Good times make for soft men.
Soft men make for hard times.

We‘re on #4 now..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:29 pm Image
.... bitches be workin' his ass :lol:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Wasn’t there supposed to be a news conference with “irrefutable” proof held today?

Another day and no kraken…
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Judge Cannon getting schooled over Trump employee #4.

Trump lawyers may have been giving bad advice. :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

He’s Back…
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote:He’s Back…
For once he isn’t lying - the fake electors and January 6 were election interference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:58 pm He’s Back…
Radio Télévision Libre des Mille Collines
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Did nobody tell him the irony of saying "Never Surrender" with a picture taken after you've surrendered? :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:04 am
Did nobody tell him the irony of saying "Never Surrender" with a picture taken after you've surrendered? :lol:
:lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I wonder how long and how many iterations of mug shot photo poses they went through before they landed on this one. And as despicable as Trump is, you do have to hand it to him and his team that they knew how to handle and how to profit off of this. We're going to see that mug shot for the rest of our lives now on every novelty thing you can think of.

If there was ever a doubt that this was going to be a super- shi**y election season the drama around that mug shot should put away all those doubts, Ugh.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation