Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: 2024 Primary

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:47 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:26 am
Why not?

I think trump could very well make a move to stay in power if he’s elected and still alive. But I have a lot more faith in our safeguards to stop him than you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t know how much faith you have, but I’m hopeful too that the system and law prevails.

Why not? Old history and recent show it’s a possibility. I don’t want to even get close.

Ganny’s dismissive and apparently reluctant to acknowledge all of the confirmations coming forth in just the initial filed indictment alone. There will be more.

If you guys are comfortable with what recently happened and the historical dust bin of crumbling empires and democracies, god bless.

I just happen to think we have a remarkable foundation of freedom and democracy. That freedom and democracy is currently being challenged from the pentagon to the courts, to the whitehouse.
Credit where due- there are very few countries where the military would stand by in a Jan. 6 situation
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Praise Jesus he must be from Oregon or NJ..
-Gas cap open before he get out of the vehicle.
-doesn’t prepay (by card, phone, or inside (if by card would require entering zipcode).
-doesn’t select a grade of gas.
-just sticks the nozzle in the tank without ever squeezing the pump lever (look closely).
-a fake beeping sound the whole time. :? :suspicious: :dunce: :lol:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:37 pm Praise Jesus he must be from Oregon or NJ..
-doesn’t prepay (by card, phone, or inside (if by card would require entering zipcode).
-just sticks the nozzle in the tank without ever squeezing the pump lever (look closely).
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:37 pm Praise Jesus he must be from Oregon or NJ..
Nice truck - I'm grabbing it when the rapture hits
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Trump says he won't sign Republican loyalty pledge, flouting debate requirement
Former President Donald Trump said Wednesday he won't sign a pledge to support the Republican nominee if he loses the GOP presidential primary, flouting a requirement for appearing in the first debate later this month.

“Why would I sign it?" Trump said in an interview on the conservative cable network Newsmax. “I can name three or four people that I wouldn’t support for president. So right there, there’s a problem.”
RINO!
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:33 am Trump says he won't sign Republican loyalty pledge, flouting debate requirement
Former President Donald Trump said Wednesday he won't sign a pledge to support the Republican nominee if he loses the GOP presidential primary, flouting a requirement for appearing in the first debate later this month.

“Why would I sign it?" Trump said in an interview on the conservative cable network Newsmax. “I can name three or four people that I wouldn’t support for president. So right there, there’s a problem.”
RINO!
...and there go the last tattered shreds of the Party's credibility.. :rofl:

now, and for a long, long, time its the Trumpublican Party....as the nation gets the gubmint it deserves
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Hunter got an entire thread here.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Two conservative, Federalist Society members and constitutional law experts researched Trump and the 14th amendment for a year. Their conclusion: Trump should be barred from running.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/10/us/t ... tives.html
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:39 am Two conservative, Federalist Society members and constitutional law experts researched Trump and the 14th amendment for a year. Their conclusion: Trump should be barred from running.

Congress had their chance to do that in the aftermath of 1/6 and they failed to do so. Don't see them doing that anytime soon. It didn't help their case that they included a bunch of other folks for consideration of removal at the same time for arguing in Congress about not accepting the ballots. We've had Congress folks try to block vote counting in almost every election going back to the Bush/Gore fiasco. Like I said before, 1/6 was the perfect case to impeach and remove a President, but because the Dem's soured the water with their premature try at impeaching and removing Trump for that Ukrainian phone call it didn't happen. We cheapened impeachment and we're still suffering for it now.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:34 am
Going by a brief glimpse of the 4x4 decal looks like Ford. Going by the straight line window sill not a F150, so I‘d guess a 2023 Ranger, or maybe he got hold of a pre sale 2024 from their Michigan plant.

I had a 97‘ Ranger ext cab 4x2. After 150k miles traded it in in 04‘ for a Titan crew cab 4x4.

If I was buying a mid size now (currently have a 16’ Tundra crew 1794) I guess it would be between the Taco and the Ranger..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:07 am
houndawg wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:34 am

Going by a brief glimpse of the 4x4 decal looks like Ford. Going by the straight line window sill not a F150, so I‘d guess a 2023 Ranger, or maybe he got hold of a pre sale 2024 from their Michigan plant.

I had a 97‘ Ranger ext cab 4x2. After 150k miles traded it in in 04‘ for a Titan crew cab 4x4.

If I was buying a mid size now (currently have a 16’ Tundra crew 1794) I guess it would be between the Taco and the Ranger..
I'd like another Taco - have a mid size right now, 2000 Dakota with 70k. V-6, 5-spd manual, crank windows, cassette player..
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

'I fully expected the downfall': Former Florida GOP chairman says the more people meet DeSantis 'the more they are not going to like him'
Former Florida GOP chairman Joe Gruters told The Washington Post that Ron DeSantis' struggles on the presidential stage were expected based on how he's treated people as governor.

"The more he is met by people, the more they are not going to like him," Gruters, who is also a state lawmaker, told The Post. "The more he's out there, the more his numbers go down. It's not a good long-term scenario for him. I fully expected the downfall of his campaign a long time ago."
deConkis' campaign continues to circle the drain like the massive turd that it is. When will it go down?
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:22 am
kalm wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:39 am Two conservative, Federalist Society members and constitutional law experts researched Trump and the 14th amendment for a year. Their conclusion: Trump should be barred from running.

Congress had their chance to do that in the aftermath of 1/6 and they failed to do so. Don't see them doing that anytime soon. It didn't help their case that they included a bunch of other folks for consideration of removal at the same time for arguing in Congress about not accepting the ballots. We've had Congress folks try to block vote counting in almost every election going back to the Bush/Gore fiasco. Like I said before, 1/6 was the perfect case to impeach and remove a President, but because the Dem's soured the water with their premature try at impeaching and removing Trump for that Ukrainian phone call it didn't happen. We cheapened impeachment and we're still suffering for it now.
Exactly.

There is a story about a boy calling wolf that comes to mind. :coffee:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:44 am 'I fully expected the downfall': Former Florida GOP chairman says the more people meet DeSantis 'the more they are not going to like him'
Former Florida GOP chairman Joe Gruters told The Washington Post that Ron DeSantis' struggles on the presidential stage were expected based on how he's treated people as governor.

"The more he is met by people, the more they are not going to like him," Gruters, who is also a state lawmaker, told The Post. "The more he's out there, the more his numbers go down. It's not a good long-term scenario for him. I fully expected the downfall of his campaign a long time ago."
deConkis' campaign continues to circle the drain like the massive turd that it is. When will it go down?
His only shot is if Trump is actually convicted, IMHO. He lost the initiative, double down on stupid in some areas and it cost him. He started out strong but like all politicians, thought he could do no wrong and forgot to look objectively at each situation.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:59 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:22 am

Exactly.

Exactly. You’d think more conservatives would listen to the well reasoned within their own ranks.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:10 am
Winterborn wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:59 am

Exactly.

Exactly. You’d think more conservatives would listen to the well reasoned within their own ranks.
I would say the same thing about Dems but I would have to find a well reasoned one. :coffee:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
Winterborn wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:59 am Exactly.

If Pelosi hadn’t attempted a coup with the first impeachment the real impeachment would likely have succeeded and we wouldn’t be looking at a possible choice between trump and Biden. As usual, illiberals were premature and share the blame here.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:42 am
kalm wrote:
If Pelosi hadn’t attempted a coup with the first impeachment the real impeachment would likely have succeeded and we wouldn’t be looking at a possible choice between trump and Biden. As usual, illiberals were premature and share the blame here.

Impeachments result in coups?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:47 am

Not necessarily. All depends on what they're based on. Nixon? Not a coup, dude was corrupt and a snake. Clinton? Not a coup, lied under oath back when lying was still not an every second thing it is today. Trump first impeachment? Closest example of being a coup we have. Dems didn't like the results of the 2016 election and felt sure the election was rigged. Fed a lot of made up stuff about Russian interference to the FBI, mingled with some factual stuff to make it seem legit, and then when that didn't pan out decided to make a mountain out of that phone call to try to kick him out. As I've said before, that patently absurd use of the impeachment power ended up backfiring for the country when, after Trump attempts his own little coup, we've sullied the whole impeachment process that we can't rightfully kick Trump out for the 1/6 mob prodding he clearly did (and no, that impeachment wouldn't have been a coup).

So really, it was just that rush to overturn the 2016 election with the made-up Russian story that could be considered coup-like. If only we had a thread on here devoted to that debacle. :rofl:

Edit - forgot 1868 and Andrew Johnson - that was a little bit like a coup - Radical Republicans didn't like the guy (in their defense, Andrew Johnson was very unlikeable and a flaming racist), and they made up a thing (Tenure of Office Act) to try to kick him out. Not exactly the most above-board thing the Radicals did back then.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:23 am
kalm wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:47 am

Not necessarily. All depends on what they're based on. Nixon? Not a coup, dude was corrupt and a snake. Clinton? Not a coup, lied under oath back when lying was still not an every second thing it is today. Trump first impeachment? Closest example of being a coup we have. Dems didn't like the results of the 2016 election and felt sure the election was rigged. Fed a lot of made up stuff about Russian interference to the FBI, mingled with some factual stuff to make it seem legit, and then when that didn't pan out decided to make a mountain out of that phone call to try to kick him out. As I've said before, that patently absurd use of the impeachment power ended up backfiring for the country when, after Trump attempts his own little coup, we've sullied the whole impeachment process that we can't rightfully kick Trump out for the 1/6 mob prodding he clearly did (and no, that impeachment wouldn't have been a coup).

So really, it was just that rush to overturn the 2016 election with the made-up Russian story that could be considered coup-like. If only we had a thread on here devoted to that debacle. :rofl:

Edit - forgot 1868 and Andrew Johnson - that was a little bit like a coup - Radical Republicans didn't like the guy (in their defense, Andrew Johnson was very unlikeable and a flaming racist), and they made up a thing (Tenure of Office Act) to try to kick him out. Not exactly the most above-board thing the Radicals did back then.
So if the senate had convicted Trump for 2016, who would have become president?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:46 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:23 am

Not the person who won the 2016 election. Coups aren't just about putting a specific person in place of the ousted, it's mainly ousting the person in power.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:51 am
kalm wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:46 am

Not the person who won the 2016 election. Coups aren't just about putting a specific person in place of the ousted, it's mainly ousting the person in power.
So who would have been the next person in power?
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote:

Ah What ifs. My favorite thing to do with History. :nod:

They do tend to let their emotions get the best of them and think short term. (and R's are following that same stupidity now) :ohno:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:43 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:51 am
Who do you think and why is it relevant? What little gotcha are your trying to get to?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:39 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:43 am

Who do you think and why is it relevant? What little gotcha are your trying to get to?
Why do you describe it as an attempted coup?