Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: Culture Wars

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:27 pm :lol:
DeSantis is desperate to find an ass-kicking he can be on the winning side of
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:06 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:27 pm :lol:
DeSantis is desperate to find an ass-kicking he can be on the winning side of
He's morphing into Dukakis before our very eyes. He should be renamed DeConkis.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA yahoos - putting the Q into qrazy qanon conspiracy theories since 2015.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

DeSantis' 'War on Woke' Backfires As Disney Ends $1 Billion Spending in Florida – Controversial Policies Spur Convention Cancellations, Tourism Downturn, and Struggles for Local Businesses
In May, Disney made headlines when it canceled a $1 billion project to construct an office campus and transfer 2,000 employees to Orlando. The company also pulled the plug on a promising Star Wars hotel that had only been operational at Disney World for a short time.
Disney has turned its focus to a new endeavor known as Disneyland Forward. The program is aimed at rejuvenating its two theme parks in Anaheim, California. The company envisions Disneyland Forward as a catalyst for significant growth, projecting an annual revenue of $253 million and the creation of more than 2,200 new jobs.
The consequences of DeSantis's actions are not limited to the Disney dispute. Florida's political climate, characterized by controversial policies concerning LGBTQ rights and race, has led to a growing number of conventions and conferences avoiding the state altogether. At least five groups have canceled or moved their events out of Orange County and Fort Lauderdale over concerns about the state's policies.
Can convention centers, tourism bureaus, businesses in Orlando and Fort Lauderdale sue DeConkis for incompetent management like he talked about suing AB Inbev?

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:59 pm DeSantis' 'War on Woke' Backfires As Disney Ends $1 Billion Spending in Florida – Controversial Policies Spur Convention Cancellations, Tourism Downturn, and Struggles for Local Businesses
In May, Disney made headlines when it canceled a $1 billion project to construct an office campus and transfer 2,000 employees to Orlando. The company also pulled the plug on a promising Star Wars hotel that had only been operational at Disney World for a short time.
Disney has turned its focus to a new endeavor known as Disneyland Forward. The program is aimed at rejuvenating its two theme parks in Anaheim, California. The company envisions Disneyland Forward as a catalyst for significant growth, projecting an annual revenue of $253 million and the creation of more than 2,200 new jobs.
The consequences of DeSantis's actions are not limited to the Disney dispute. Florida's political climate, characterized by controversial policies concerning LGBTQ rights and race, has led to a growing number of conventions and conferences avoiding the state altogether. At least five groups have canceled or moved their events out of Orange County and Fort Lauderdale over concerns about the state's policies.
Can convention centers, tourism bureaus, businesses in Orlando and Fort Lauderdale sue DeConkis for incompetent management like he talked about suing AB Inbev?
That Star Wars hotel thing was always a short term thing, that didn't have anything to do with DeSantis.

As for trying to rejuvenate the Anaheim parks, I think they're great parks already, but it's an uphill battle to make more out of them. There's no land around the parks there to really grow, and Disney has never been able to do there what they did in Florida - the in-the-park hotels and all the dining are just miniscule compared to what they have in Florida. There are so many private options in Anaheim that just dwarf what the private hotels and dining do in Orlando. Heck, a big part of the Florida parks are the hotels and dining you do on the property. I just don't see how they get any real growth in an area of CA that is already massively developed and already a high cost operation.

There's no real winners here - DeSantis is losing because he looks incompetent and petty, and Disney is losing because they don't have real growth opportunities at CA versus what they have in FL, and they have lost the MAGA portion of their fanbase through all of this. And at the end of the day, nothing is accomplished by any of this other than people pointing fingers and shouting at each other. What a waste.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:45 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:59 pm DeSantis' 'War on Woke' Backfires As Disney Ends $1 Billion Spending in Florida – Controversial Policies Spur Convention Cancellations, Tourism Downturn, and Struggles for Local Businesses

That Star Wars hotel thing was always a short term thing, that didn't have anything to do with DeSantis.

As for trying to rejuvenate the Anaheim parks, I think they're great parks already, but it's an uphill battle to make more out of them. There's no land around the parks there to really grow, and Disney has never been able to do there what they did in Florida - the in-the-park hotels and all the dining are just miniscule compared to what they have in Florida. There are so many private options in Anaheim that just dwarf what the private hotels and dining do in Orlando. Heck, a big part of the Florida parks are the hotels and dining you do on the property. I just don't see how they get any real growth in an area of CA that is already massively developed and already a high cost operation.

There's no real winners here - DeSantis is losing because he looks incompetent and petty, and Disney is losing because they don't have real growth opportunities at CA versus what they have in FL, and they have lost the MAGA portion of their fanbase through all of this. And at the end of the day, nothing is accomplished by any of this other than people pointing fingers and shouting at each other. What a waste.
I was mostly poking fun of Deconkis threatening to sue AB Inbev. He's been exposed for the buffoon that he is. Shouldn't "there's got to be penalties when you put business aside to focus on your social agenda at the expense of hardworking people" apply to his administration as well as publicly traded companies?

Disney was in a tough spot. A lot of their employees are a part of or are friendly to the LGBTQ+ community. They need their customers, including the MAGAt yahoos, but they also need their talent.
Last edited by UNI88 on Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:29 pm

I was mostly poking fun of Deconkis threatening to sue AB Inbev. He's been exposed for the buffoon that he is.

Disney was in a tough spot. A lot of their employees are a part of or are friendly to the LGBTQ+ community. They need their customers, including the MAGAt yahoos, but they also need their talent.
America needs a MAGA based theme park!
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:43 pm

I was mostly poking fun of Deconkis threatening to sue AB Inbev. He's been exposed for the buffoon that he is.

I'm listening.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:11 pm
I'm listening.
6 Fags Over Gay America! :shock: :oops: ;)

Let's help all of those repressed MAGAt yahoos come out of the closet.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:58 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:40 am
But woke trans ideology goes far beyond homosexuality. Alphabetism isn’t widespread in nature.
I think it covers the LGB & Q part of LGBTQ+ so we have T+ left.

A quick google search finds: Transgender - Are There “Transgender” Proclivities in Animals?
Snakes, lizards, beetles, fish, and birds, to name a few, all exhibit “transgender” behaviors in which males imitate females to gain advantages, including reduced competition, better access to territory, and improved mating opportunities.
Asexuality (little or no sexual desire) - I'm sure enough that there is asexuality in nature that I'm not even going to look it up.

Intersexuality - once again, I'm pretty that this also occurs in nature so I'm not going to look it up.

Pansexuality - 190-YEAR-OLD PANSEXUAL TORTOISE KING IS OLDEST LIVING LAND ANIMAL

LGBTQ+ isn't new. It's just that they've stayed hidden for fear of persecution in western societies.
“What and who is Two-Spirit?”

Any other MAGAt yahoo balloons that need popping?
I see you ignored the 1st part of my reply.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:58 am I think it covers the LGB & Q part of LGBTQ+ so we have T+ left.

A quick google search finds: Transgender - Are There “Transgender” Proclivities in Animals? Asexuality (little or no sexual desire) - I'm sure enough that there is asexuality in nature that I'm not even going to look it up.

Intersexuality - once again, I'm pretty that this also occurs in nature so I'm not going to look it up.

Pansexuality - 190-YEAR-OLD PANSEXUAL TORTOISE KING IS OLDEST LIVING LAND ANIMAL

LGBTQ+ isn't new. It's just that they've stayed hidden for fear of persecution in western societies.
“What and who is Two-Spirit?”

Any other MAGAt yahoo balloons that need popping?
I see you ignored the 1st part of my reply.
If you look through my posts you’ll find that I don’t agree with all things woke so no I’m not going to defend woke in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Desantis has little to do with Woke Disney’s financial ails.
-Stock price 9/30/2014: $89.03. Stock closed today: $89.03.
-Disney has lost almost 900 million on its last 8 film flops.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... %20million.
-Visits to Disney parks (in the US) are way down this year:
https://www.businessinsider.com/disney- ... ally%20hot.
Desantis has zero to do with Disney going woke. Disney decided to do that all on their own, thereby pissing off a large chunk of their patrons. Desantis is just the convenient boogey man for Disney’s self inflicted problems.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote:
Desantis has little to do with Woke Disney’s financial ails.
Desantis has zero to do with Disney going woke. Disney decided to do that all on their own, thereby pissing off a large chunk of their patrons. Desantis is just the convenient boogey man for Disney’s self inflicted problems.
You see that thing flying over your head? It was my point.

It isn’t that DeConkis is responsible for Disney’s woes, it’s that he has hurt the tourism industry (and jobs) in the Orlando and Fort Lauderdale areas. He whines about sewing AB InBev for hurting investors. Maybe his administration should be sewed for hurting businesses.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:45 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Desantis has little to do with Woke Disney’s financial ails.

It isn’t that DeConkis is responsible for Disney’s woes, it’s that he has hurt the tourism industry (and jobs) in the Orlando and Fort Lauderdale areas. He whines about sewing AB InBev for hurting investors. Maybe his administration should be sewed for hurting businesses.

How much are day passes to the area's you claim are affected.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Is that a "no"? :lol:

They can build another Disneyland anywhere, there is plenty of room in CA and 39,000,000 people -and if they really want to stick it to Ronnie D they could build one next door in Georgia. No real winners but definitely FL is a huge loser and its going to show come reelection time.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

With live ammo! :thumb:

The answer has been right in front of us the whole time! :notworthy:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:45 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Desantis has little to do with Woke Disney’s financial ails.

Do they make sewing machines big enough for the job?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:15 am

They can build another Disneyland anywhere, there is plenty of room in CA and 39,000,000 people -and if they really want to stick it to Ronnie D they could build one next door in Georgia. No real winners but definitely FL is a huge loser and its going to show come reelection time.
If you honestly think Disney is about to build a brand new park anywhere in the US (let alone a brand new park in CA) just so they can abandon what they've built in Florida then you are truly clueless on this topic. Have you even been to these places? Disney can't abandon Disneyworld and they can't abandon Florida. DeSantis isn't going to be the governor forever, he'll be gone eventually.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:07 am

If you honestly think Disney is about to build a brand new park anywhere in the US (let alone a brand new park in CA) just so they can abandon what they've built in Florida then you are truly clueless on this topic. Have you even been to these places? Disney can't abandon Disneyworld and they can't abandon Florida. DeSantis isn't going to be the governor forever, he'll be gone eventually.
This is true - I couldn't care less what they do or where they do it, but if you think DeSantis has them over a barrel I'm not the only one that is clueless. This is a completely unnecessary unforced error by somebody that thinks he's Presidential material. :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Disney World is hundreds of rides, attractions, hotels, restaurants, etc, built up over 1/2 a century, covering 25k acres/40+ sq miles. Good luck finding 40 sq miles available inside or just outside, well any top 25 metro area in the country, within a days drive of about 40 million people. At this point Disney World would be virtually impossible to move. They’re stock was down 44% in 2022, and they’ve laid off thousands in the last year, and are laying off thousands more this year. They’ll go bankrupt before they ever move or build another one anywhere close to the size of the current ones.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:54 am

Disney World is hundreds of rides, attractions, hotels, restaurants, etc, built up over 1/2 a century, covering 25k acres/40+ sq miles. Good luck finding 40 sq miles available inside or just outside, well any top 25 metro area in the country, within a days drive of about 40 million people. At this point Disney World would be virtually impossible to move. They’re stock was down 44% in 2022, and they’ve laid off thousands in the last year, and are laying off thousands more this year. They’ll go bankrupt before they ever move or build another one anywhere close to the size of the current ones.
"They" will cash out and walk away with huge bonuses and golden parachutes :coffee:

The small-fry will get theirs come election time. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:16 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:07 am

This is true - I couldn't care less what they do or where they do it, but if you think DeSantis has them over a barrel I'm not the only one that is clueless. This is a completely unnecessary unforced error by somebody that thinks he's Presidential material. :coffee:
Show me anywhere that I've made that point? It's like you're arguing with yourself.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Way to go Brandon. Lowest since 1997.

Meanwhile the military is in year 2 of a recruiting crisis. Most people who serve in the military have a family member who’s a vet. And veterans, who do skew right (Trump won by 10) are telling sons, daughters nieces, and nephews not to join.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA1diKwG
Go woke, face a recruiting crisis.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:20 am

No liberals will be allowed into the park, as they've amply demonstrated they do not understand how to properly handle a firearm.

Alec Baldwin
Cleats
Hyundai StWrong
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:01 pm
houndawg wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:20 am

No liberals will be allowed into the park, as they've amply demonstrated they do not understand how to properly handle a firearm.

Alec Baldwin
Cleats
Hyundai StWrong
Cleets will kick off the fun by hacking the sound system and broadcasting sounds of gunfire and the chants of a liberal mob, with SRV's "Crossfire" playing in the background.....

save the strong, lose the weak
never turning the other cheek
trust nobody, don't be no fool
whatever happened to the golden rule?
(guitar solo) :thumb:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:59 pm Way to go Brandon. Lowest since 1997.

Meanwhile the military is in year 2 of a recruiting crisis. Most people who serve in the military have a family member who’s a vet. And veterans, who do skew right (Trump won by 10) are telling sons, daughters nieces, and nephews not to join.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA1diKwG
Go woke, face a recruiting crisis.
You won't find MAGA pussies anywhere near a place where the bullets fly in both directions. :coffee: