Don't Trust Mainstream Media

Political discussions
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Don't Trust Mainstream Media

Post by Col Hogan »

This one is from Kalm’s favorite news boy…and it’s a doosey…and one the same day CNN lays off lots of folks including Chris Cilliza…
Call it the “audience-optimization” model: instead of starting with a story and following the facts, you start with what pleases your audience, and work backward to the story. In this system, the overwhelming majority of national media organizations cater to one “side” or the other. For instance, according to a Pew Center survey from a few years ago, 93% of Fox’s audience votes Republican, while in an exactly mirroring phenomenon, MSNBC’s audience is 95% Democratic.

Our colleagues on the other side tonight represent two once-great media organizations. Michelle, the Pew survey says the audience for your New York Times is now 91% comprised of Democrats. Malcolm, the last numbers I could find for the New Yorker were back in 2012, and even then, only 9% of the magazine’s readers were Republicans. I imagine that number is smaller now.

This bifurcated system is fundamentally untrustworthy. When you decide in advance to forego half of your potential audience, to fulfill the aim of catering to the other half, you’re choosing in advance which facts to emphasize and which to downplay. You’re also choosing which stories to cover, and which ones to avoid, based on considerations other than truth or newsworthiness.

This is not journalism. It’s political entertainment, and therefore unreliable.
https://taibbi.substack.com/p/be-it-res ... dium=email
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Don't Trust Mainstream Media

Post by SDHornet »

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:55 pm This one is from Kalm’s favorite news boy…and it’s a doosey…and one the same day CNN lays off lots of folks including Chris Cilliza…
Call it the “audience-optimization” model: instead of starting with a story and following the facts, you start with what pleases your audience, and work backward to the story. In this system, the overwhelming majority of national media organizations cater to one “side” or the other. For instance, according to a Pew Center survey from a few years ago, 93% of Fox’s audience votes Republican, while in an exactly mirroring phenomenon, MSNBC’s audience is 95% Democratic.

Our colleagues on the other side tonight represent two once-great media organizations. Michelle, the Pew survey says the audience for your New York Times is now 91% comprised of Democrats. Malcolm, the last numbers I could find for the New Yorker were back in 2012, and even then, only 9% of the magazine’s readers were Republicans. I imagine that number is smaller now.

This bifurcated system is fundamentally untrustworthy. When you decide in advance to forego half of your potential audience, to fulfill the aim of catering to the other half, you’re choosing in advance which facts to emphasize and which to downplay. You’re also choosing which stories to cover, and which ones to avoid, based on considerations other than truth or newsworthiness.

This is a solid piece. He’s right in that it isn’t particularly new (Father Coughlin had 30 million weekly listeners… William Randolph Hearst, Pulitzer and yellow journalism, etc.) 2022 air strikes in Poland meet turn of the 20th century Cuba.

I particularly agree with this obvious sentiment:

“This is not journalism. It’s political entertainment, and therefore unreliable.”

Reading between the lines/critical thinking are skill sets that we as Americans could improve on.

I’d genuinely like to see who Taibbi reads for information. There’s still good journalism out there but it’s being drowned by corporatism and the sheer volume of sources.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Col Hogan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:55 pm This one is from Kalm’s favorite news boy…and it’s a doosey…and one the same day CNN lays off lots of folks including Chris Cilliza…

Have you tried the BBC? They aren't perfect but they do a much better job than almost everybody in the US.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:55 am

This is a solid piece. He’s right in that it isn’t particularly new (Father Coughlin had 30 million weekly listeners… William Randolph Hearst, Pulitzer and yellow journalism, etc.) 2022 air strikes in Poland meet turn of the 20th century Cuba.

“This is not journalism. It’s political entertainment, and therefore unreliable.”

Reading between the lines/critical thinking are skill sets that we as Americans could improve on.

I’d genuinely like to see who Taibbi reads for information. There’s still good journalism out there but it’s being drowned by corporatism and the sheer volume of sources.
Father Coughlin - I got bounced in a geography/history bee in 9th grade when I couldn't come up with Father Coughlin as the answer. Didn't know who he was before then but will always remember now. Same with the capital of Uganda (Kampala) - missed that on a Jeopardy test.

While I don't think yellow journalism is a new thing, there's no doubt that we've swung much more into the direction of yellow journalism over the past 20 years. There were issues back then, but the Cronkite years to the Peter Jennings years were a far more objective period of journalism than we are seeing today. But maybe that objective period was more of the anomaly - in this country, practically everything until the 1900's was partisan journalism.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:25 am

Father Coughlin - I got bounced in a geography/history bee in 9th grade when I couldn't come up with Father Coughlin as the answer. Didn't know who he was before then but will always remember now. Same with the capital of Uganda (Kampala) - missed that on a Jeopardy test.

While I don't think yellow journalism is a new thing, there's no doubt that we've swung much more into the direction of yellow journalism over the past 20 years. There were issues back then, but the Cronkite years to the Peter Jennings years were a far more objective period of journalism than we are seeing today. But maybe that objective period was more of the anomaly - in this country, practically everything until the 1900's was partisan journalism.
Truth.

And the other threat is legacy media and political access. The bubble. Alt journalism has its place but it too requires healthy skepticism and searching.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

I’d genuinely like to see who Taibbi reads for information. There’s still good journalism out there but it’s being drowned by corporatism, ideology, and the sheer volume of sources.
FYP :thumb:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:38 am

“This is not journalism . It’s political entertainment, and therefore unreliable.”

I’d genuinely like to see who Taibbi reads for information. There’s still good journalism out there but it’s being drowned by corporatism, ideology, and the sheer volume of sources.
I’ll allow it.

:thumb:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:46 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:38 am

I’ll allow it.

:thumb:
:party:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

If you read the link in the original post, you know that it was Mike Taibbi’s opening statement at a debate held in Toronto…the topic was “Don’t trust the media vs Trust the media”

The audience was polled prior to the debate, and it was 48% on the Don’t trust the media side, with 52% on the trust media side…

After the debate, they were surveyed again, with a 39 point swing towards the Don’t Trust the Media side…

https://news.yahoo.com/matt-taibbi-doug ... 19037.html

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

It's why I gave up any sort of mainstream news over five years ago. Started following an old school journalist's blog and he was always pointing out the bias problems with mainstream stories so I kept looking for alternative news sources and found blogs that discuss the days topics. I shake my head at some of the time these people put into a blog. Watch a 2 hour YouTube video so they can talk about a topic on their blog, etc.

I'm on record in the RussiaGate thread as saying that was how I was going to follow the story. What has been interesting is how one naturally gravitates towards their bias. Noticed that pretty quickly when someone I was reading was following/reading a source I also was following/reading. Got me to thinking I was simply reinforcing my confirmation bias! :lol:
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:01 am If you read the link in the original post, you know that it was Mike Taibbi’s opening statement at a debate held in Toronto…the topic was “Don’t trust the media vs Trust the media”

The audience was polled prior to the debate, and it was 48% on the Don’t trust the media side, with 52% on the trust media side…

After the debate, they were surveyed again, with a 39 point swing towards the Don’t Trust the Media side…

I wonder what it would be like now after Taibbi and Musk’s turd of a thread on Hunter Biden?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
Col Hogan wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:01 am If you read the link in the original post, you know that it was Mike Taibbi’s opening statement at a debate held in Toronto…the topic was “Don’t trust the media vs Trust the media”

I wonder what it would be like now after Taibbi and Musk’s turd of a thread on Hunter Biden?
Do you doubt the veracity of Taibbi’s reporting or do you think it’s a molehill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:49 am
kalm wrote:
Do you doubt the veracity of Taibbi’s reporting or do you think it’s a molehill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IE: the Biden campaign asked Twitter to remove tweets of Hunter’s dick pics. (Both parties make similar requests) There really wasn’t anything otherwise new or as Elon suggests threatening freedom of speech. The Trump administration was in charge of the government at that time.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:59 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:49 am
IE: the Biden campaign asked Twitter to remove tweets of Hunter’s dick pics. (Both parties make similar requests) There really wasn’t anything otherwise new or as Elon suggests threatening freedom of speech. The Trump administration was in charge of the government at that time.
This is about more than dick picks. Focusing on that point is a deflection to avoid real issues/concerns.

Yes, both sides make similar requests but which side has more access to make those requests and sympathetic ears considering the requests?

You clutch your pearls about threats to our Republic but think this is no big deal?

The First Amendment isn't absolute? That statement and people in power who truly believe it are a greater threat to the future of our Republic than trump and anything he said or did.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:20 pm

This is about more than dick picks. Focusing on that point is a deflection to avoid real issues/concerns.

Yes, both sides make similar requests but which side has more access to make those requests and sympathetic ears considering the requests?

You clutch your pearls about threats to our Republic but think this is no big deal?

The First Amendment isn't absolute? That statement and people in power who truly believe it are a greater threat to the future of our Republic than trump and anything he said or did.
C’mon. That’s like me accusing you of siding with Kellyanbd Conway on alternate facts…that “all truth is relative.”

:)

It’s a corrupt system full of corrupt players on both sides. I continue to be all for investigating Hillary, Biden, and Trump if there’s a reason. Can we throw Jared’s compensation as white house and now Saudi Arabia advisor in there for good measure. I haven’t heard you question that as much.

Bring it!
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

How many dick pics of Hunter were in the NY Post article?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Seriously?.....can't yell "fire!" in a crowded theater? :silly:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:32 pm

:flag: Deflection, 15 yards and loss of jello privileges.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:26 pm

overruled. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:40 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:26 pm

overruled. :coffee:
He’s on the verge of contempt right now.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm not sure why, but the new CEO of CNN shut down HLN, putting the entire staff, including Robin Meade, the longest standing regular daytime newsie in the country, on the outs. While I'm no fan of CNN's politics, Meade was good. She was fair. SMH....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:58 pm I'm not sure why, but the new CEO of CNN shut down HLN, putting the entire staff, including Robin Meade, the longest standing regular daytime newsie in the country, on the outs. While I'm no fan of CNN's politics, Meade was good. She was fair. SMH....
New ownership and expected move to the right.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Yes you can. :lol:

:dunce: :silly: