GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: January 6 - How much do you care?

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:12 am “Nothing like Hillary’s emails.”

Trump could shed light and somewhat vindicate himself he choses to.

A court-authorized FBI search, like the one that occurred Monday, would be warranted, Aftergood said, if “the material is of such extraordinary national security sensitivity that it absolutely must be within government custody.”

“That’s not something you write letters about,” he added. “That’s something you need to take custody of now and argue about later.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/0 ... s-00050691
Trump left office in January 2021. It's August 2022. If something he took was "of such extraordinary national security sensitivity" that the government had to have it right now, why did it take 20 months to go get it? I realize the government is not the swiftest of actors when it comes to stuff, but that seems incredibly slow, even for government, for such "extraordinary" things that have to be had now.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:17 am
kalm wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:12 am “Nothing like Hillary’s emails.”

Trump could shed light and somewhat vindicate himself he choses to.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/0 ... s-00050691
Trump left office in January 2021. It's August 2022. If something he took was "of such extraordinary national security sensitivity" that the government had to have it right now, why did it take 20 months to go get it? I realize the government is not the swiftest of actors when it comes to stuff, but that seems incredibly slow, even for government, for such "extraordinary" things that have to be had now.
You would think.

But prosecutions take time. I would guess especially federal ones involving former presidents that involve massive levers of power and well healed legal defense, and will automatically inspire questions of political retribution. They need to be even more airtight due to what’s at stake and the potential for violent backlash.

Christ, they’re just now getting around to prosecuting the cops in the Breonna Taylor ordeal.

We’ll eventually get these questions answered but on the DOJ’s timeline.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:26 am

You would think.

But prosecutions take time. I would guess especially federal ones involving former presidents that involve massive levers of power and well healed legal defense, and will automatically inspire questions of political retribution. They need to be even more airtight due to what’s at stake and the potential for violent backlash.

Christ, they’re just now getting around to prosecuting the cops in the Breonna Taylor ordeal.

That's what I don't understand, though. Apparently the DOJ (or FBI, or both) were there in Mir-a-Lago last month or so having discussions with Trump's lawyers regarding this. What went so south so soon that accelerated it from continued discussions to an all-out FBI raid? Hey, Trump likely is a bad dude, and if he has documents he shouldn't have then by all means they should be returned. But regardless of your personal feelings on who Trump is, at the end of the day he's still a former President, eligible for one more term if he wants to run, potentially against the administration currently in power, and we're around 100 days until a pretty contentious midterm election. You need to tread carefully in a situation like this, and like I said earlier, it better be for something more than just having the documents. There needed to be a imminent threat he'd lose, destroy, or pass along those documents - if they're just sitting in boxes in his mansion I'm sure they could've kept talking about it. Ad the DOJ needs to realize their timeline may have to be adjusted for the timeline of the rest of the world. They're not doing this in a vacuum.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

You would think.

The one who fired blindly and killed Taylor, after the officers were fired upon, was aquitted in a jury trial last year.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:28 pm What would the left have been saying in 2020 if the Trump’s Dept of Justice had conducted a pre dawn raid on Biden’s house during the Biden campaign to be the Democrat nominee, or after Biden had become the Democrat nominee, based on the Hunter laptop investigation, which we all know has tons of incriminating evidence on it. What would the MSM had said then? They would have lost their collective shit. The fact that they aren’t with this crossing of the rubicon shows their incredible hypocrisy and choosing a side.
They would have been calling Trump a dictator, Hitler, that he’d turned the DOJ into the Gestapo, that the US had become a bananna republic, that he was trying to steal the election, etc, etc..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:39 am

You would think.

The one who fired blindly and killed Taylor, after the officers were fired upon, was aquitted in a jury trial last year.
I think he's referring to the cops that were just charged a few days ago in federal court - those are the cops who lied when getting the search warrant and the basis to do the raid as a no-knock raid. I do not believe that includes the cops who actually executed the search warrant, just the bad cops that got them to that point. It is a wonder why it took so long to get to those guys rather than focusing on the cops at the scene that had nothing to do with the nefarious methods of how the warrant was obtained.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:55 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:47 am

Oh, I forgot. It's okay to have two standards of law.

Obama is "in the club" too, so it was okay.

Let's split the difference and lock trump and Hillary up for the rest of their lives. We remove 2 cancerous criminal grifters from public life, it's a win-win!
I'm fine with this. Can we also put a stipulation that at least 4 generations of their offspring cannot run for public office? I'd even let them skip prison for that one.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Raises all kinds of red flags. Why would they not allow Trump's lawyers to observe the search? Why did they want the security cameras turned off? What was the FBI hiding?
Despite the sweltering 91 degrees temperature Monday, Trump’s lawyers were forbidden by the feds to shelter inside the cool lobby, or to observe the search in any way, but were left outside in the baking sun near a parking lot.

The feds instructed Trump’s representatives to switch off the security cameras but they refused.
https://nypost.com/2022/08/09/fbi-even- ... rump-raid/
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:58 am

:lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:34 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:58 am

:lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:24 am Raises all kinds of red flags. Why would they not allow Trump's lawyers to observe the search? Why did they want the security cameras turned off? What was the FBI hiding?
Despite the sweltering 91 degrees temperature Monday, Trump’s lawyers were forbidden by the feds to shelter inside the cool lobby, or to observe the search in any way, but were left outside in the baking sun near a parking lot.

The feds instructed Trump’s representatives to switch off the security cameras but they refused.
https://nypost.com/2022/08/09/fbi-even- ... rump-raid/
What's normal protocol for an FBI raid? I've never been to one before, are lawyers for the target of the raid normally allowed to observe?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

There was a mole who identified docs for the FBI to look for and the intentionally timed the search for when Trump was away.

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-info ... re-1732283
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:38 am There was a mole who identified docs for the FBI to look for and the intentionally timed the search for when Trump was away.

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-info ... re-1732283
From the newsweek link:
The effort to keep the raid low-key failed: instead, it prompted a furious response from GOP leaders and Trump supporters. "What a spectacular backfire," says the Justice official.

"I know that there is much speculation out there that this is political persecution, but it is really the best and the worst of the bureaucracy in action," the official says. "They wanted to punctuate the fact that this was a routine law enforcement action, stripped of any political overtones, and yet [they] got exactly the opposite."

Both senior government officials say the raid was scheduled with no political motive, the FBI solely intent on recovering highly classified documents that were illegally removed from the White House. Preparations to conduct such an operation began weeks ago, but in planning the date and time, the FBI Miami Field Office and Washington headquarters were focused on the former president's scheduled return to Florida from his residences in New York and New Jersey.

"They were seeking to avoid any media circus," says the second source, a senior intelligence official who was briefed on the investigation and the operation. "So even though everything made sense bureaucratically and the FBI feared that the documents might be destroyed, they also created the very firestorm they sought to avoid, in ignoring the fallout."
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

CNN’s legal expert Paul Callan, former high ranking CIA official:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Liar Liar Pants on Fire. Is anyone dumb enough to believe that the WH didn't have advance notice. :dunce:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Huh. Didn't know you could get suspended for saying this.

If the tweet is true, it sounds like the FBI was looking for documents Trump ordered declassified, but the required group has been dragging their feet completing.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

ahhhh. that's why durham has had such a hard time coming up with anything. trump accidentally kept all the incriminating evidence of #Spygate locked in a safe in mar lago. whew
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:14 pm ahhhh. that's why durham has had such a hard time coming up with anything. trump accidentally kept all the incriminating evidence of #Spygate locked in a safe in mar lago. whew
Ha. This is actually old news. John Solomon has been waiting for the declassification for around 19 months now.

Once again, I have no idea if this is true, but would line up with Sperry's tweet and also what Kash Patel was saying. Kash Patel only said the documents Trump had were the ones he ordered declassified.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:19 am
Fact check: False

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did ... id-1732495
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:54 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:19 am

Oh well…deep state then?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Nope. Still don’t care.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:01 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:54 pm

Oh well…deep state then?
I'm thinking more along the lines of a couple Epstein clients pulled strings! :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:15 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:01 pm

Oh well…deep state then?
I'm thinking more along the lines of a couple Epstein clients pulled strings! :lol:
You might have something there.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:35 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:11 am

I have no clue what he took, but instances like this in the past have been dealt with in a civil and not criminal manner.

Hillary had somewhere around 588 violations of mishandling classified documents, but was never put through this. This is about trying to keep Trump off the ticket and to goad his supporters into doing something stupid.
To paraphrase BDK, "but Hillary".
Well, besides the "but Hillary" who actually mishandled classified docs, even if Trump had docs that had been previously classified, they were no longer classified if he had ordered them declassified while still POTUS..