2022 Olympics

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: 2022 Olympics

Post by SuperHornet »

Women's Hockey

All knockout round games will be held at Wukesong Arena, Beijing.

Quarterfinals:

11 FEB
1 CAN d. 8 SWE 11-0
2 USA d. 5 CZE 4-1

12 FEB
5 SUI d. 4 URS 4-2
3 FIN d. 6 JPN 7-1

Semifinals

14 FEB

1 CAN vs. 5 SUI
2 USA vs. 3 FIN

Bronze Medal Game

16 FEB

CAN-SUI loser vs. USA-FIN loser

Gold Medal Game

17 FEB

CAN-SUI winner vs. USA-FIN loser
Last edited by SuperHornet on Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

There's a major controversy in the mixed doubles ski jumping event, where five FEMALE athletes from different countries were randomly disqualified for "unacceptably loose" uniforms that were deemed adequate earlier. A major step back in a sport that has experienced anti-female treatment as late as 2005....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/five-olymp ... 36244.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:35 am The Quarterfinals have been partially set for the Women's Hockey tournament. I'd originally thought that the current top 3 in Group B had already been determined to advance. Apparently, that's not the case. If either Sweden or Denmark wins their last group play game in regulation, they will pass host China for the last spot by one point. If the game goes to OT/SO, it will depend on goal differential. There's a similar paradigm in the bottom half of Group A: there will be some shifting if Finland upsets the Soviets. All we really know for sure is that CAN and USA will be the top 2 seeds.

As things currently stand:

CAN vs. B3
A4 vs. A5
USA vs. CZE
A3 vs. JPN

Two of those games will be held 11 FEB, and the rest 12 FEB. The winners will face off on V-Day to determine who goes to the Gold Medal Game and who goes to the Bronze Medal Game. The Men's Tournament starts tomorrow....
At this point in women's hockey they should just let the US and Canada play a best of 7 series and the rest can have their little tournament to see who gets to win the bronze. Until hockey is being played by women at a higher level in other countries it's just kind of a farce to pretend they're playing the same game as the Canadians and Americans.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:37 am There's a major controversy in the mixed doubles ski jumping event, where five FEMALE athletes from different countries were randomly disqualified for "unacceptably loose" uniforms that were deemed adequate earlier. A major step back in a sport that has experienced anti-female treatment as late as 2005....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/five-olymp ... 36244.html
Heck, one of the jumpers said her suit was looser today than a week ago because she had been in quarantine due to a COVID positive and the food and conditions in the quarantine hotels set up by China are terrible.

Apparently it's been an issue all season (for those who follow ski jumping, which is pretty much the jumpers, coaches, and their families). A baggier suit can lead to longer distances.

With all that said, is there any reason, other than the need to play with the results, that the scoring in ski jumping is not just based on the distance alone? Why do we need "style" points in ski jumping? Just see who jumps the farthest. Should be straight forward. But with all things Olympics (and therefore European) there's always controversy.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Not watching. Haven’t watch a single second.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:30 am
SuperHornet wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:35 am The Quarterfinals have been partially set for the Women's Hockey tournament. I'd originally thought that the current top 3 in Group B had already been determined to advance. Apparently, that's not the case. If either Sweden or Denmark wins their last group play game in regulation, they will pass host China for the last spot by one point. If the game goes to OT/SO, it will depend on goal differential. There's a similar paradigm in the bottom half of Group A: there will be some shifting if Finland upsets the Soviets. All we really know for sure is that CAN and USA will be the top 2 seeds.

As things currently stand:

CAN vs. B3
A4 vs. A5
USA vs. CZE
A3 vs. JPN

Two of those games will be held 11 FEB, and the rest 12 FEB. The winners will face off on V-Day to determine who goes to the Gold Medal Game and who goes to the Bronze Medal Game. The Men's Tournament starts tomorrow....
At this point in women's hockey they should just let the US and Canada play a best of 7 series and the rest can have their little tournament to see who gets to win the bronze. Until hockey is being played by women at a higher level in other countries it's just kind of a farce to pretend they're playing the same game as the Canadians and Americans.
Pro Tip: The worst team makes better sandwiches.
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TheDancinMonarch »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:43 am Not watching. Haven’t watch a single second.
Ditto. Screw China! Screw NBC!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

The Men's Hockey tournament has started with Group B games. The Soviets beat Switzerland 1-0, thereby continuing the horrible Olympics so far for Swiss hockey. Denmark faces the Czech Republic today also.

Group A and Group C hits the ice tomorrow with the following games: USA vs. host China, Canada vs. Germany, Sweden vs. Latvia, and Finland vs. Slovakia.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

TheDancinMonarch wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:10 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:43 am Not watching. Haven’t watch a single second.
Same here. Wouldn’t have watched in 36’ either..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Just us patriots watching team USA events.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:50 pm Men's Hockey

Group A

USA 2 2 0 0 0 6 +10 12:2
CAN 2 1 0 1 0 3 +2 7:5
GER 2 1 0 1 0 0 -3 4:7
CHN 2 0 0 2 0 0 -9 2:11

Group B

URS 2 2 0 0 0 6 +3 3:0
DEN 2 1 0 1 0 3 -1 2:3
CZE 2 0 1 1 0 2 0 3:3
SUI 2 0 0 1 1 1 -2 1:3

Group C

FIN 2 2 0 0 0 6 +6 9:3
SWE 2 2 0 0 0 6 +4 7:3
LAT 2 0 0 2 0 0 -3 3:6
SVK 2 0 0 2 0 0 -7 3:10

09 FEB

URS d. SUI 1-0
DEN d. CZE 2-1

10 FEB

USA d. CHN 8-0
CAN d. GER 5-1
SWE d. LAT 3-2
FIN d. SVK 6-2

11 FEB

URS d. DEN 2-0
CZE d. SUI 2-1 SO
SWE d. SVK 4-1
FIN d. LAT 3-1

12 FEB

USA d. CAN 4-2
GER d. CHN 3-2
CZE leads URS 3-2 2nd INT
SUI vs. DEN

13 FEB

CHN vs. CAN
USA vs. GER
SVK vs. LAT
FIN vs. SWE

Housekeeping

1. Group play will consist of a single round-robin. All teams will be ranked 1-12 after group play and will advance to the knockout rounds. The three group winners and the best second-place team gain a bye into the Quarterfinals of the knockout rounds. All other teams will take part as ranked in a play-in round.

2. During group play, three points are available for a regulation-time win, two points for an OT/SO win, one point for an OT/SO loss, and nothing for a regulation-time loss.

3. In-group placing will be subject to these tie-breaking procedures:
a. Points.
b. If two teams are tied, they will be separated by H2H.
c. If more teams are tied:
(1) H2H points.
(2) H2H goal differential.
(3) H2H goals scored.
(4) H2H in these categories vs. remaining team in group.
(5) Place in 2021 IIHF World Ranking.

4. Play-in Round will be held 15 FEB. Quarterfinals will be held 16 FEB. Semifinals will be held 18 FEB. Bronze Medal Game will be held 19 FEB. Gold Medal Game will be held 20 FEB.

4. Post-group play rankings will be determined by:

a. Higher group rank.
b. Higher points.
c. Higher goal differential.
d. Higher goals scored.
e. Higher 2021 IIHF World Ranking.
Last edited by SuperHornet on Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:20 pm Just us patriots watching team USA events.
My compassion for the human race is preventing me from watching. Too much competition is a bad thing. Sometimes we have to collaborate for the good of all.

Did I get that right Kalm? :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:02 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:20 pm Just us patriots watching team USA events.
My compassion for the human race is preventing me from watching. Too much competition is a bad thing. Sometimes we have to collaborate for the good of all.

Competition is good when you have 4 more medals than China.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:37 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:02 pm

Competition is good when you have 4 more medals than China.
So the US has 4 medals?
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TheDancinMonarch »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:09 pm
TheDancinMonarch wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:10 pm

Same here. Wouldn’t have watched in 36’ either..
Even I'm not that old!
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Tuned in for the first time. Half pipe was on. That Jap that won was damn impressive. An over the hill Shawn White finished just off the podium.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:30 pm Tuned in for the first time. Half pipe was on. That Jap that won was damn impressive. An over the hill Shawn White finished just off the podium.
It's like watching the South Park characters compete. They are all short and look stocky in their suits. Would love to see a 6'4" person compete. That would be a totally different look. Like men's basketball vs. women's basketball.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:30 pm Tuned in for the first time. Half pipe was on. That Jap that won was damn impressive. An over the hill Shawn White finished just off the podium.
Some East German judging going on in that event from what I hear, specifically involving that Japanese guy.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

It was a struggle through two periods, but USA pulled away in their QF game against the Czech Republic, advancing to the Semis with a 4-1 win.

Go USA!

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Team USA 8-0 win over China.
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

ROC stands for the Republic of China and it's good to see them with more medals that the Peoples Republic of China (PRC). :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:06 am ROC stands for the Republic of China and it's good to see them with more medals that the Peoples Republic of China (PRC). :D
:rofl:

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Half of the Women's Hockey Quarterfinals are done, and as expected, 1 CAN and 2 USA have advanced. Tonight's action will determine how the Semifinals are re-seeded.

After today's Men's Hockey games, the first two teams have been relegated to the "Qualification Playoffs:" Latvia and Slovakia in Group C. Groups A and B look to be too complicated to completely decide until group play is done.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:31 am Team ISA 8-0 win over China.
The Islamic State of Algeria? beating the chinks is newsworthy?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:19 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:31 am Team ISA 8-0 win over China.
The Islamic State of Algeria? beating the chinks is newsworthy?
Thank you for pointing out my typo, and your support of the Olympic thread.