Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:23 am
SDHornet wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:11 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You would laugh if I said the earth was a sphere.
:suspicious:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:33 am Not sure if anyone has been following this, but basically all of the hospitals in Wuhan are swamped and the gubmint is scrambling to build a few 1000 bed hospitals just to deal with the outbreak.

The conspiracy theory with this one is that it was a leak from a bio weapons lab (or something super duper lab).
SDHornet wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:50 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:14 pm A lot of listings of N95 respirator masks on Amazon either back order, or recent listings with obscene prices.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... th-demand/
Loaded up on these, among other items, earlier in the month. :ugeek:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:10 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:18 am The last time I wore a mask (neck gaitor) was at a Wawa in PA outside Philly 8 days ago. Walked in without it but pulled it up as everyone else had one on. Drove down to VA to see family and then to N FL (St Augustone) Stops in VA, the Carolinas, GA, and in north FL (St Augustine) the last 6 days haven’t week worn one. Majority of people down here aren’t waering them in stores, restaurants, etc. I won’t be wearing one again anywhere (unless I’m in an airport/on a plane). Don’t care if a store still has a sign mandating it. Any stores still with signs up are probably just doing it for liability reasons or because of some BS blue local/state mandate in effect.
I'm with Ganny - I got the vaccine and have stopped wearing one.

And through the Carolina's?! I know we fight on here but if you ever around Charlotte, please reach out. I'd like to buy you a beer. :nod:
All the aggravation you’ve caused me and only ‘a beer?’ Just kidding lol.

I’ve been down here a half doz times since my buddy and his wife moved down here 3 yrs ago (they have a place about 15 miles inland and a small place in St Aug Beach), but the last couple of times down here I’ve taken the easterly route of the below from my mom’s in VA near Harrisonburg:
https://goo.gl/maps/vKTh7QwW2TjsGTe98
to avoid as much interstate as I can without adding much time. + I get to take a more scenic route through mostly rural Trump country. :D That route avoids interstate from east of Harrisonburg to Greensboro. From Greensboro to Rockingham its I73/I74 (usually not much traffic). Then non interstate straight shot south to Darlington and catch I95 in Florence. On the way back, as has been the last couple times, unfortuntately all I95. Driving vs flying because visiting family on way down or back, sometimes going to a JMU game. Also hauling fishing gear.

A think a couple of times last yr I drove through/around Charlotte, but on time hacks, on the way to/from my sisters’s in Greenville, SC, but she has since moved to eastern TN..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:47 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:05 am

Fracking and the corresponding drop in NatGas prices are doing more to shutdown older coal fired plants then the EPA. Problem is peaking plants make horrible base load plants.
Coal is all running today. No wind. Our area of the grid has 29,000 MW of wind capacity. Only 600 MW is running which is 2% of energy demand. Coal is 51%, natural gas is 33%.
The entire state will probably see temps over 100 here Friday and possibly Saturday and that is probably when we have one of 5 or 6 calm days out of the year. :ohno: :lol:

What sizes are your NatGas plants?

ND has 3,910 MW of coal plants but will lose 100MW in 2021 and 1150 MW in 2022 (Coal Creek Shutdown). NatGas is around 600MW with most built in the 2013+ time frame. Wind is around 5100 MW, with another 510MW from Hydro (Garrison Dam).
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:11 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You mean an oblate spheroid.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:04 pm

Coal is all running today. No wind. Our area of the grid has 29,000 MW of wind capacity. Only 600 MW is running which is 2% of energy demand. Coal is 51%, natural gas is 33%.
The entire state will probably see temps over 100 here Friday and possibly Saturday and that is probably when we have one of 5 or 6 calm days out of the year. :ohno: :lol:

ND has 3,910 MW of coal plants but will lose 100MW in 2021 and 1150 MW in 2022 (Coal Creek Shutdown). NatGas is around 600MW with most built in the 2013+ time frame. Wind is around 5100 MW, with another 510MW from Hydro (Garrison Dam).
As I type this wind is now 420 MW out of the 29,000 MW, 1.38%. You can see the Southwest Power Pool (SPP) generation mix at this link.

https://marketplace.spp.org/pages/generation-mix

Coal Creek shutdown will be a big deal for ND. All of the coal is going to lock up in ND, it's just a matter of when.

We own part of an 80 MW gas unit and have some small peaking units that can run on gas or diesel. Our largest resource (nameplate) is actually diesel although they run very little. Our others in order of amount are coal, wind, hydro, and natural gas.

Iowa is weird because we are split between the SPP and MISO operating areas. Our members all operate in SPP but our office is actually powered by MidAmerican through MISO. We jointly own 2 coal plants where our share (and a few others) of the output goes to SPP and the rest goes to MISO.
Last edited by HI54UNI on Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:12 am

So all you need to do is replace 84% of your total energy production with complete renewables in the next 10-15 years. What's the problem?? :rofl:
Yep. With renewables where we can't control the availability of fuel supply (wind and sun) and therefore availability of energy. :lol: :roll: :facepalm: :ohno:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:22 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:04 pm

As I type this wind is now 420 MW out of the 29,000 MW, 1.38%. You can see the Southwest Power Pool (SPP) generation mix at this link.

Coal Creek shutdown will be a big deal for ND. All of the coal is going to lock up in ND, it's just a matter of when.

We own part of an 80 MW gas unit and have some small peaking units that can run on gas or diesel. Our largest resource (nameplate) is actually diesel although they run very little. Our others in order of amount are coal, wind, hydro, and natural gas.

Iowa is weird because we are split between the SPP and MISO operating areas. Our members all operate in SPP but our office is actually powered by MidAmerican through MISO.
Cool website. :thumb:

Coal Creek is huge and I agree it is only a matter of time till all of it shutdown especially as they burn lignite and not the better sub-bituminous out of Wyoming. They might be able to prolong some of them by switching, but that is just delaying the inevitable. If ND politicians were smart they would start courting Nuclear like Wyoming is. I was part of a interesting meeting this spring from a political standpoint and I am not sure the ND elected officals are looking at the issue in the right way (I could easily be wrong as I was only part of one meeting).

BISMARCK — The transmission lines criss-crossing North Dakota have become the rope in a tug of war over the state’s energy future as officials grapple with saving coal-fired power as utilities turn to wind.

The North Dakota Transmission Authority director is warning that the state’s power grid is full, because of regional bottlenecks, and Republican leaders in the Capitol have introduced a bill that critics say would make it difficult — or impossible — to add more wind farms in the state.

Concerns over the grid's capacity to handle more power generation have become central in discussions before the North Dakota Legislature as state officials are taking a fresh look at energy policy.
https://www.inforum.com/news/6874698-Po ... rgy-future
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:21 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:16 am

So it's like I said. Masks were mandated because people apparently forgot how to cough/sneeze into their elbow or to simply not be a dick and got out in public sick.
People are (your word) "dicks". How many times have you been in work or at church or in a theater and you hear someone hacking the whole time - awful cough, or frequent sneezing or something like that? And certainly you hear kids doing the same, and people wiping their hands on their chair or pew or seat or something. People are disgusting, and too many sick people don't stay home from work or school or church when they are sick. My wife is a teacher and certainly has seen kids basically coughing up a mucus covered lung and yet they're still in school. It would be great if people learned from this pandemic to just stay home when they're sick. I'm not optimistic though. People aren't that considerate or thoughtful.
I used to work with this German gal and she was constantly coming in sick. When asked why she doesn't take a sick day, she replied, "fuck that, I'm using it for vacation".

After saying that, the next time she came in sick, she started coughing so bad, she gagged and threw up on her desk :ohno:

That was the last straw and thank goodness our manager would send her home after that when she appeared sick.

In regards to people being disgusting, I wholeheartedly agree. Best thing that happened to me was becoming an OR tech in the Army Reserves. You learned to never touch your face or you would break the sterile field. Carried over nicely to helping me prevent getting sick through your my actions.

Your point about my post was spot on too.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:21 pm
You mean an oblate spheroid.
:rofl:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:55 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:10 pm

I'm with Ganny - I got the vaccine and have stopped wearing one.

And through the Carolina's?! I know we fight on here but if you ever around Charlotte, please reach out. I'd like to buy you a beer. :nod:
All the aggravation you’ve caused me and only ‘a beer?’ Just kidding lol.

I’ve been down here a half doz times since my buddy and his wife moved down here 3 yrs ago (they have a place about 15 miles inland and a small place in St Aug Beach), but the last couple of times down here I’ve taken the easterly route of the below from my mom’s in VA near Harrisonburg:
https://goo.gl/maps/vKTh7QwW2TjsGTe98
to avoid as much interstate as I can without adding much time. + I get to take a more scenic route through mostly rural Trump country. :D That route avoids interstate from east of Harrisonburg to Greensboro. From Greensboro to Rockingham its I73/I74 (usually not much traffic). Then non interstate straight shot south to Darlington and catch I95 in Florence. On the way back, as has been the last couple times, unfortuntately all I95. Driving vs flying because visiting family on way down or back, sometimes going to a JMU game. Also hauling fishing gear.

A think a couple of times last yr I drove through/around Charlotte, but on time hacks, on the way to/from my sisters’s in Greenville, SC, but she has since moved to eastern TN..
Fine...you'll get 2 beers and a hug. Happy!?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:34 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:10 am

Not everyone has a fireplace or the ability to save themselves. Brace yourself for increased expectations that government will save people. Especially when it comes to protecting and managing basic resources like heat and water.
Libs need to stop preventing us from using reliable fuel sources to provide power that keeps the heat and water working.
Like oil? Oil when the pipes don't freeze I mean...
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:21 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:24 am

That’s your disconnect. There’s WAY more than some.
Well then, we could stand a good EMP pulse or two...thin the herd of those who should never have survived anyways....

:nod: :nod: :nod:
My EMP-proof 1960 Massey-Ferguson 35 will be the foundation upon which the US rebuilds its transportation sector. :nod:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:25 pm

Well then, we could stand a good EMP pulse or two...thin the herd of those who should never have survived anyways....

My EMP-proof 1960 Massey-Ferguson 35 will be the foundation upon which the US rebuilds its transportation sector. :nod:
:lol: :lol: :thumb:

I have two EMP-proof vehicles as well.....I'll be:

"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Sure.....

I got 5 IH's and a JD that say otherwise. :coffee:

:poke:

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Wheres Ibanez? Told you Atlas was better than Fauci!!

Neener neener, you ain't got a weiner.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:07 pm

Sure.....

I got 5 IH's and a JD that say otherwise. :coffee:

:poke:
Nothing runs like a Deer or smells like a John. I think you are good with the 5 IH's.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:33 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:22 pm

Iowa is weird because we are split between the SPP and MISO operating areas. Our members all operate in SPP but our office is actually powered by MidAmerican through MISO.
Cool website. :thumb:

Coal Creek is huge and I agree it is only a matter of time till all of it shutdown especially as they burn lignite and not the better sub-bituminous out of Wyoming. They might be able to prolong some of them by switching, but that is just delaying the inevitable. If ND politicians were smart they would start courting Nuclear like Wyoming is. I was part of a interesting meeting this spring from a political standpoint and I am not sure the ND elected officals are looking at the issue in the right way (I could easily be wrong as I was only part of one meeting).

BISMARCK — The transmission lines criss-crossing North Dakota have become the rope in a tug of war over the state’s energy future as officials grapple with saving coal-fired power as utilities turn to wind.

The North Dakota Transmission Authority director is warning that the state’s power grid is full, because of regional bottlenecks, and Republican leaders in the Capitol have introduced a bill that critics say would make it difficult — or impossible — to add more wind farms in the state.

Concerns over the grid's capacity to handle more power generation have become central in discussions before the North Dakota Legislature as state officials are taking a fresh look at energy policy.
https://www.inforum.com/news/6874698-Po ... rgy-future
I follow/hear some of the political discussions about coal and wind in ND. We sell most of our surplus to Basin so it's good to know what is going on that could impact those surplus sales. Coal Creek is dead and there's a huge power line going to the twin cities. Might as well fill it up with wind energy and take the money. Won't have the jobs that coal mining has but would be a good offset to lost property tax base.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:43 pm

:lol: :lol: :thumb:

I have two EMP-proof vehicles as well.....I'll be:

I'm going to put knobby tires on my EMP proof scooter and ride around like Daryl from The Walking Dead.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Think I've got an understanding of what happened in India. They were originally using prophylactic treatment and then when they got the vaccines, stopped.

Apparently they thought the vaccines could be administered fast enough, but obviously not. Now compound that with a very weak medical system and it was a disaster. Also keep in mind that more people die of diarrhea per day than any bad COVID day.

Now some areas have implemented Ivermectin and that is helping tremendously.

I wouldn't bet my life on that narrative, but it's the best I've been able to piece together. Please correct me if wrong.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Holy shit. Fauci is now using the worst excuse ever. Science evolves. Well no shit, but science also dictates you defend your theory against all challengers and if you cannot defeat them, then you need to rethink your theory, not simply summarily dismiss competing ideas.

One doesn't get to hide behind that excuse, especially when one wasn't following science in the first place.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

SeattleGriz wrote:Holy shit. Fauci is now using the worst excuse ever. Science evolves. Well no shit, but science also dictates you defend your theory against all challengers and if you cannot defeat them, then you need to rethink your theory, not simply summarily dismiss competing ideas.

One doesn't get to hide behind that excuse, especially when one wasn't following science in the first place.
I don’t think science has anything to do with an obligation to defend theories or rethink them just because someone can debate better

Scientific theories can be proven, not proven, or unproven - based on factual evidence or a lack of it

Every theory surrounding the origin of COVID is unproven. Fauci dismissed the lab leak theory because he had skin in the game as well as on the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:45 pm Also keep in mind that more people die of diarrhea per day than any bad COVID day.
Explosive?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:05 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:45 pm Also keep in mind that more people die of diarrhea per day than any bad COVID day.
Explosive?
Hey now. He's talking about India, not Iraq.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »