Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:37 am
Winterborn wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:54 am

:nod:

That and they should never be fed (given in to) least they breed uncontrollably and wreck an ecosystem.
* lest.

And you must be thinking of religious conservatives.
Correction noted and accepted.

And you must of missed it where the former Soviet Union and Peoples Republic of China were/are bastions of defending the environment. They do such a good job of strip mining for Rare Earth metals that there is hardly a trace that a mine existed in those locations. :coffee:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:25 am
kalm wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:37 am

* lest.

And you must be thinking of religious conservatives.

And you must of missed it where the former Soviet Union and Peoples Republic of China were/are bastions of defending the environment. They do such a good job of strip mining for Rare Earth metals that there is hardly a trace that a mine existed in those locations. :coffee:
Nope. Well aware. And we are all complicit.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:11 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:27 pm

You are young and might not remember the days when our ditches were full of trash. We had a clean up day at school every year, where we would clean them up. Nice gunny sack full of trash, for around 100 of us each spring.
We actually used to participate in Earth Day back when I grew up, but only did it at the small high school I attended. Never did it in the "big city" of Great Falls.
I feel old, we predate earth day.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:35 am
Winterborn wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:25 am

Nope. Well aware. And we are all complicit.
In someways, I would agree.

As an overall society influence perspective, I would disagree. :D
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:49 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:27 pm

You are young and might not remember the days when our ditches were full of trash. We had a clean up day at school every year, where we would clean them up. Nice gunny sack full of trash, for around 100 of us each spring.
My first job was picking garbage for $1 an hour along the fairgrounds fence line in Missoula. Every summer, for weeks before the fair came to town, me and my brother would go along the fence (3-4 miles, surrounding the entire fairgrounds) and fill bag after bag. When that job was done we’d follow the tractor around the horse track and pick 5 gallon buckets of rocks. When THAT was done we’d shovel out the 100+ horse stalls for 75 cents a stall.
1905 called, they want their minimum wage back.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BuT lOcKdOwNs WoRk

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:20 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:06 am

Where's 2021 Flu deaths? Because it's been cured...
Thank you Covid Protocol. :nod:
Was reading about two other options to consider here. Both are speculation, but the first is the idea of competitive inhibition. Basically the body can't be inhabited by two viruses and COVID is winning. I had mentioned this a couple weeks ago, but they obviously haven't gotten any closer with proof.

The second is if there is a delay in testing for the Flu, as the window of detection is much smaller. Meaning if a person comes in with COVID/Flu like symptoms, they will be tested for COVID first and by the time they get around to testing for the flu, the patient turns up negative due to the smaller testing window.

To me, the big question would be if insurance is allowing dual path testing? Can a provider submit two samples to be tested for COVID and Flu at the same time?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:26 am BuT lOcKdOwNs WoRk

What does Dr. Drew’s tweet have to do with whether or not lockdowns work?

Please provide evidence that they don’t.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:24 am

I think the better question is, are lockdowns necessary?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Just like a good leftie, making every decision in a vacuum with zero concern of ancillary effects.

I think YOU should provide evidence that the “trade off” was worth it.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:09 pm

Just like a good leftie, making every decision in a vacuum with zero concern of ancillary effects.

I was the first one this board to point out the economic concerns of locking down vs. not locking down. And that was back in April of 2020.

Just like a good rightie to assume and ignore economic unintended consequences of perceived freedom.

:coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:33 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:09 pm

I was the first one this board to point out the economic concerns of locking down vs. not locking down. And that was back in April of 2020.

Just like a good rightie to assume and ignore economic unintended consequences of perceived freedom.

I doubt you were the first. And I’ve never ignored anything. I’ve been very consistent from the beginning....the trade off was NOT worth it. To save thousands, we destroyed millions of peoples lives. Not worth it.

Just two more weeks to flatten the curve though, amirite?
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Interesting graph. Seems the "no winter lockdown" states are doing better than the "lockdown" states, by a small margin (yellow bars). :ugeek: Almost like lockdowns only served the purpose of wrecking lives.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:45 pm Interesting graph. Seems the "no winter lockdown" states are doing better than the "lockdown" states, by a small margin (yellow bars). :ugeek:

So, if we stipulate that the graph is “correct”, what does it tell us?

The only thing “lockdowns” worked on was destroying the economy to ensure Trump wasn’t reelected.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:48 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:45 pm Interesting graph. Seems the "no winter lockdown" states are doing better than the "lockdown" states, by a small margin (yellow bars). :ugeek:

The only thing “lockdowns” worked on was destroying the economy to ensure Trump wasn’t reelected.
Yes that, and we ignored hundreds of years of epidemiological and immunological history from previous pandemics to "forge" a new and untested idea upon the US.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

I need to point out the drop in cases and deaths seems to coincide nicely with the changing of the testing guidelines that WHO put out at the beginning of January, of which I pointed out in this thread.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:05 pm I need to point out the drop in cases and deaths seems to coincide nicely with the changing of the testing guidelines that WHO put out at the beginning of January, of which I pointed out in this thread.
That was sleepy Joe’s plan all along. Change the guidelines, problem solved!
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:48 pm

It's almost like that was the plan all along. :coffee:

And now those fucks won't even give us our $2k that they campaigned on. :rofl:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:45 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:33 pm

I doubt you were the first. And I’ve never ignored anything. I’ve been very consistent from the beginning....the trade off was NOT worth it. To save thousands, we destroyed millions of peoples lives. Not worth it.

Hint: the economic impacts are not over nor would they be if we had never imposed restrictions.

Yet you seemingly new back then...and you know we only saved thousands...

:lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:45 pm Interesting graph. Seems the "no winter lockdown" states are doing better than the "lockdown" states, by a small margin (yellow bars). :ugeek: Almost like lockdowns only served the purpose of wrecking lives.

Nice opening line to that tweet. :lol:

There will be outliers and in an open culture such as ours there’s the influence of spread between states. Not to mention other factors like some sectors in particular states being effected more by lockdowns than others.

The economics of this are complex and will take years to unravel and truly be appreciated.
Last edited by kalm on Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:05 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:45 pm

Hint: the economic impacts are not over nor would they be if we had never imposed restrictions.

* knew

Could you outline Exactly what economic impacts would there have been without shutdowns?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:06 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:45 pm Interesting graph. Seems the "no winter lockdown" states are doing better than the "lockdown" states, by a small margin (yellow bars). :ugeek: Almost like lockdowns only served the purpose of wrecking lives.

Nice opening line to that tweet. :lol:

There will be outliers and in an open culture such as ours there’s the influence of spread between states. Not to mention other factors like some sectors in particular states being effected more by lockdowns than others.

The economics of this are complex and will take years to unravel and truly be appreciated.
Agreed it will take time to tease out the details, and admittedly, it's a very simple bar graph for a complex question. Almost worthless, but the same can be said for many other facets of COVID, like case counts and deaths. I won't even get into how shoddy the statements on the variants are. It's a big reason why I try to stick to tradition, as time has allowed the proper analysis.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Let's look at this in real case view. Here is Minnesota and Wisconsin, both had partial lockdowns, all 5 states are in a relative same area. The states that didn't lockdown had more deaths per million, ND, SD and IA. Even looking at California versus NY, there is a big difference, and both locked down. Same with South Dakota and Utah, big difference and both didn't lock down. The chart is just more B as is S and in BS, nothing to take away.

Most deaths per million in upper midwest.
8. South Dakota
11. North Dakota
17. Iowa
34. Minnesota
37. Wisconsin
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:08 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:05 pm

* knew

Could you outline Exactly what economic impacts would there have been without shutdowns?
Similar effects to partial lockdowns or lack of social distancing compliance, namely a slower return to normal.

https://www.imf.org/-/media/Files/Publi ... h/ch2.ashx
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:23 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:08 pm

* knew

Similar effects to partial lockdowns or lack of social distancing compliance, namely a slower return to normal.

https://www.imf.org/-/media/Files/Publi ... h/ch2.ashx
I would argue that the initial restrictions were viewed as “necessary” to some extent. It was the continually changing narrative, constantly moving goalposts, and disingenuous nature of our political leaders that caused all follow on recommendations/requirements to be looked at with a jaundiced eye. We’re in our 12th month of “2-weeks to flatten the curve”.... Montana has 68 TOTAL cases of COVID, yet Missoula county remains in lockdown. California only began opening up when Newsom realized the recall effort was going to succeed (and Biden had become president).

Much like the bad optics of how the election played out, when a majority of people believe that the recommendations/requirements are purely political in nature, they tend to say fuck it. Unfortunately, there are enough commies out there that will narc on their neighbors, bray at them in the stores if they don’t wear their masks like good commies, or are afraid of their own shadows that we may NEVER see “normal” again.