FCS Spring 2021

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: FCS Spring 2021

Post by UNI88 »

Discussion from another thread ... Why are so many FCS games on ESPN+ and not the Deuce or ESPNU?

The mothership airs basketball games like Davidson vs VCU instead of NDSU vs SIU in football.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:28 pm Discussion from another thread ... Why are so many FCS games on ESPN+ and not the Deuce or ESPNU?

The mothership airs basketball games like Davidson vs VCU instead of NDSU vs SIU in football.
Glad they didn't.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Might be a different North Dakota team at #1 in the polls.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:03 pm Might be a different North Dakota team at #1 in the polls.
:lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:28 pm Discussion from another thread ... Why are so many FCS games on ESPN+ and not the Deuce or ESPNU?

It's more typically basketball season right now? The NCAA Tournament holds more sway than FCS football? Davidson vs VCU might affect seeding in the NCAA Tournament?
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Hate to say it, but I think this is going to be an exhibition season, guys.

I think the players on most teams legitimately want to win and aren't covid-skittish, but the coaches are another matter. I think coaches are pretty much safe from being fired until the end of the Fall season, and they know it. This season will be about toying with things to get ready for the Fall.

It's still great to have football in the Spring, though.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:03 pm

It's more typically basketball season right now? The NCAA Tournament holds more sway than FCS football? Davidson vs VCU might affect seeding in the NCAA Tournament?
Maybe but I have to ask: Do non-basketball junkies care about seeding? I could see the allure if a Curry were playing for Davidson and Shaka Smart was creating havoc at VCU but do those teams interest most fans today? Or do most fans wait until the tournament to start paying attention? Would football fans who don't usually pay attention to FCS tune in because it's the only football being played right now?

Possibilities:
1) ESPN believes D1 college basketball will be more popular than FCS football.
b) EcbSPN's bias is showing.
III) The brainiacs at ESPN didn't really give it any thought and just kept showcasing basketball like they always do.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:46 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:03 pm

Maybe but I have to ask: Do non-basketball junkies care about seeding? I could see the allure if a Curry were playing for Davidson and Shaka Smart was creating havoc at VCU but do those teams interest most fans today? Or do most fans wait until the tournament to start paying attention? Would football fans who don't usually pay attention to FCS tune in because it's the only football being played right now?

Possibilities:
III) The brainiacs at ESPN didn't really give it any thought and just kept showcasing basketball like they always do.
I think the answer is #1. Many casual college football fans think P5 = D-1, and everything else is an afterthought. The others might factor in some as well though.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:11 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:46 pm

Possibilities:
I think the answer is #1. Many casual college football fans think P5 = D-1, and everything else is an afterthought. The others might factor in some as well though.
All three. Betting driven interest (including casual office pools) has to play a roll too.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:19 am
AshevilleApp wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:11 am
All three. Betting driven interest (including casual office pools) has to play a roll too.
Are there casual office pools for regular-season games involving more obscure teams?

If those casual college football fans don't care about G5 much less FCS teams, do they care about regular season A10, MAAC, etc. college basketball games

I think it is a little of all 3 but I think III plays a bigger role than we would expect.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:03 am
kalm wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:19 am

Are there casual office pools for regular-season games involving more obscure teams?

If those casual college football fans don't care about G5 much less FCS teams, do they care about regular season A10, MAAC, etc. college basketball games

I think it is a little of all 3 but I think III plays a bigger role than we would expect.
I’m guessing the calculus is that casual interest increases as March approaches.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:05 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:03 am

I’m guessing the calculus is that casual interest increases as March approaches.
It probably does but my guess is that it doesn't reach critical mass until the conference tournaments or more likely the first round. I think ESPN is missing out on an opportunity here.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:36 am
kalm wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:05 am

It probably does but my guess is that it doesn't reach critical mass until the conference tournaments or more likely the first round. I think ESPN is missing out on an opportunity here.
Totally agree. If they had embraced it and pumped up the FCS brand with 1/4 of the advertising they devote to mid major hoops, I think viewing would be no worse right now if not better.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

The botched FG call even made Sports Illustrated
Through and No Good? Officials Miss Made Field Goal in FCS Game

Does that or all the attention on the Penguin staffer tripping the UNI player happen during the fall season?

Either the other sports information providers are overestimating FCS football's potential or ESPN is missing an opportunity.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

I expect to see a split vote between JMU and UND for the #1 spot this week.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:18 am I expect to see a split vote between JMU and UND for the #1 spot this week.
Weber needs to be in that mix.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:38 am The botched FG call even made Sports Illustrated

Does that or all the attention on the Penguin staffer tripping the UNI player happen during the fall season?

Either the other sports information providers are overestimating FCS football's potential or ESPN is missing an opportunity.
The Big Sky has issued an apology.

"We fucked up. Sorry."

Tough week for the Eags with this plus Coach Best quarantined, and the #1 and #2 WR's not suited. Still should have beat the Vandals though. :ohno:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:27 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:38 am The botched FG call even made Sports Illustrated

"We fucked up. Sorry."

Tough week for the Eags with this plus Coach Best quarantined, and the #1 and #2 WR's not suited. Still should have beat the Vandals though. :ohno:
That just sucks. The physics of a ball being outside the posts hitting the scoreboard/wall and bouncing back through the posts has got to be a million to one. What was that Ref doing and thinking?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:24 am
kalm wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:27 am

"We fucked up. Sorry."

That just sucks. The physics of a ball being outside the posts hitting the scoreboard/wall and bouncing back through the posts has got to be a million to one. What was that Ref doing and thinking?
He was caught in the replay literally adjusting his mask and looking at the ground as the ball went through.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:26 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:24 am
He was caught in the replay literally adjusting his mask and looking at the ground as the ball went through.
It made Around The Horn yesterday.