UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

FCS Spring 2021

Post by UNI88 »

FCS Spring 2021: The Best Returning LB In Each Conference
MVFC - Bryce Flater, Northern Iowa

Flater was named to the spring MVFC Preseason Team after a dominant 2019 campaign. He led the conference and finished third in the FCS with 143 tackles while adding eight tackles for loss.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: FCS Spring 2021

Post by BDKJMU »

So NOT participating playoffs:
-Ivy (all 8) (not playing).
-SWAC (all 10) (doing their own league champ game 5/1).
-MEAC (6 of 9): NSU, NCCU, B Cookman, FAMU, NC A&T, Morgan St
10 AQ conferences:
-Big Sky (5 of 13): Montana, Montana St, Sac State, Portland St, N Colorado.
-Southland (4 of 11) (All played more than 4 games fall): Abilene Christian, UCA, Houston Baptist, SFA.
-Big South (3 of 8): Hampton, N Alabama, Campbell.
-Pioneer (2 of 10): Dayton, Marist.
-Patriot (1 of 7): Georgetown
-OVC (1 of 9): EKU played 9 games in the fall.
-MVFC (1 of 11): Indiana St.
-CAA (1 of 12): Towson.
-NEC (2 of 8): STFU, CCSU (5 playoff eligible; Merrimac still transitioning).
-SoCon (0 of 9)

I see the transitioning Indys Dixie State & Tarleton St are playing. Aren't AQ eligible, don't know if they are at large eligible..

IF? I didn't miss anyone that's about 80 teams participating/AQ playoff eligible, and 47 not, of +/- 127 teams.

10 AQ, 6 At Large. A complete crock that the Big South, NEC and with only 5 eligible teams each, get an AQ...

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... -will-work
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-pla ... ason-bzbz/
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Last season's playoffs:
#1 NDSU: Lost likely 4 draft picks from last season: 2020 7th Rd DE, LB to LSU projected early/mid round; 2 potential 1st round picks sitting out Winter/Spring (OT invited to Senior Bowl & Trey Lance).
#2 JMU. Lost 2 defensive starters to transfer to UVA (1 was Draftscout #2 FCS FS).
#3 Weber St
#4 Sac St: Not playing winter/spring schedule, or participating playoffs.
#5 Montana St: Not playing full winter/spring schedule or participating playoffs.
#6 Montana: Not playing full winter/spring schedule or participating playoffs.
#7 SDSU: Draftscout FCS #1 ranked WR, Senior Bowl invite, who is sitting out SDSU's winter/spring football.
#8 UCA: Played 9 games fall, not playing winter/spring season. Also Draftscout FCS #1 ranked CB, Senior Bowl invite.

That's 4 of last seasons top 8 seeds who won't be playing a full winter/spring schedule or participating in the playoffs. Also:

-Qtr finalist UNI Draftscout FCS #2 ranked OT & #1 ranked DE, both Senior Bowl Invites, both not playing winter/spring season.
-Villanova: Lost top two 2021 pro prospects to transfer, including top returning WR in the CAA, and top ranked OC in FCS (started for UCLA).

And that's just from the top 10 or so teams from last season. HERO last fall listed well over 100 players that had transferred up. Doz or so top pro prospects/All Star game invites that are sitting out the winter/spring season. Bottom line pre season predictions are going to be even more worthless than usual...
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Well, a couple more MEAC teams pulled out of the winter/spring season, so the MEAC is down to 3 teams playing, so no AQ for them. That makes 10 AQ conferences + 6 at large for the playoffs. Now about 80 teams playing this winter/spring & AQ playoff eligible, and 47 not, of +/- 127 teams, as updated above.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

McNeese/Tarlton tomorrow and no discussion?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:19 pm McNeese/Tarlton tomorrow and no discussion?

JSO has been busy TDSing. Know zero about Tarleton St. I had to look them up. I see in Fort Worth area, Div II transitioning. I suspect McNeese wins handily.

I didn't even know there was a game this weekend. Next weekend I guess is "Week 1", with 18 games still showing scheduled a go.
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/scoreboard. ... 21&conf=-2
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

McNeese did not win handily but they did win. 40-37 in overtime and they had to come back from down 31-17 halfway through the fourth quarter including recovering an on side kick to do it.

But I knew going in that Tarleton State would be a tough opponent for McNeese; which has been through absolute hell over the past 6 months. Tarleton was 11-1 in 2019 after going 11-0 during the regular season before losing 23-16 to Texas A&M Commerce in the first round of the D-II playoffs. They had beaten Texas A&M Commerce 35-21 during that regular season. They were 12-1 in 2018 with the one loss being by 13-10 to #1 ranked Minnesota Mankato in the second round.

You get the picture. They have recently been a D-II team that has been better than most FCS teams. Meanwhile McNeese is under it's 3rd head coach in the past three seasons and 4th in the past 6 seasons and its players have had their lives disrupted by having Hurricane Laura largely destroy Lake Charles this past August.

McNeese fans knew playing former D-II power Tarleton State on the road in Tarleton's first game of transition to FCS would not be easy and it wasn't. McNeese was lucky to win as Tarelton's coaches did some stupid things like take their starting quarterback out to run a series when they had a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter and could have iced the game by getting a couple of first downs (they did a three and out instead). Then McNeese got the onside kick which is always a lucky thing. Also had the drive that got them to within 31-24 kept alive with a roughing the passer call when the pass had been intercepted by Tarleton. But I'll take it.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:27 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:19 pm McNeese/Tarlton tomorrow and no discussion?

JSO has been busy TDSing. Know zero about Tarleton St. I had to look them up. I see in Fort Worth area, Div II transitioning. I suspect McNeese wins handily.

I didn't even know there was a game this weekend. Next weekend I guess is "Week 1", with 18 games still showing scheduled a go.
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/scoreboard. ... 21&conf=-2
Was a little off. Tarleton St. is in Stephenville, TX (out in the rural Hill Country, about 80 miles southwest of Ft Worth/90 miles northwest of Waco).
Indy for this winter/spring 2020 season and fall 2021, then new WAC in 2022.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

I hadn't looked it up ahead of time but Tarleton State was the favorite. -3. See https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... en-expert/.

Also, I looked up where Tarelton State was in the Massey ratings the end of 2019. They ended up with the same rating as the 25th rated FCS team (Central Arkansas). They'd have been favored to beat McNeese that year by that system.

Tarelton State should have won last night. They were up by 14 with less than 3 minutes left. McNeese took possession trailing by 14 with 4:08 left. That drive was kept alive by the roughing the passer call when the pass was intercepted. Then the successful on side kick.

I've been on the other side of "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" games like that in terms of who I was pulling for way too many times. Feels good to be on the plus side.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Wow. I just looked up the new WAC. I wonder what is going to happen to the Southland since the new WAC is going to take four of its members.

https://wacsports.com/general/2020-21/r ... 0113xbg9zk

In one way I see a silver lining. That will cut the Southland from 11 football schools to 7. 7 is enough to retain the automatic bid and I think 11 was too many. But it's quite a disruption.
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:17 pm FCS Spring 2021: The Best Returning LB In Each Conference
MVFC - Bryce Flater, Northern Iowa

Flater was named to the spring MVFC Preseason Team after a dominant 2019 campaign. He led the conference and finished third in the FCS with 143 tackles while adding eight tackles for loss.
Sorry, but I’ll take Jace Lewis at Montana over the Idaho guy.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Video of Cody Oregeron's game winning TD run against Tarelton State:

He actually has pretty good speed. Or for sure he's got good acceleration over 30 yards or so.

According to the guys calling the game he is going to be eligible in the fall so he'll get to play when McNeese plays LSU, coached by his Dad, on September 11.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 am Video of Cody Oregeron's game winning TD run against Tarelton State:

He actually has pretty good speed. Or for sure he's got good acceleration over 30 yards or so.

According to the guys calling the game he is going to be eligible in the fall so he'll get to play when McNeese plays LSU, coached by his Dad, on September 11.
Pretty fast for a white guy huh JSO?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:49 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 am Video of Cody Oregeron's game winning TD run against Tarelton State:

There are fast white guys. It's just that black guys are faster on average. And of course when get to really elite speed the people in that category are way disproportionately black guys.

But Orgeron is a bit more athletic than I realized he was. Not just that run but the whole game. He rushed for 108 yards on 19 carries and there is no way they'd have squeaked out that win without his ability to make plays with his legs. He showed really good quickness and acceleration during that game. I knew he is a pretty good athlete but he looked a little better in that regard than I thought.

He's kind of an interesting story because he didn't play football until his senior year in high school. He was a State high school tennis champion who decided to join the football team for his final year in high school in order to play with his brother. He ended up being the starting quarterback and quarterbacking the team to the state AAAAA semifinals.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Come on, no one here got my reference :?
https://www.championshipsubdivision.com ... =6&t=50219
I thought it was clever.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JMU:
From 2019, lost 14 of 22 starters. 12 seniors + 2 transfers to UVA (1 of them was Draftscout #2 ranked FS in FCS). Of those 14: 11 were All CAA (+2 who were in prior seasons), 7 AA, 3 NFL UDFA + a 7th rd dfraft pick. Only return 8 starters + All CAA kicker & punter.

2020 signed 17 a year ago out of HS, + 7 FBS (4 P5) transfers. 4 of note who are showing as starters on JMU's 2 deep.
-rSr WR Scott Bracy (6’2”/210) (Duke). 2019 started (21 receptions, 270 yds, 2 TDs). Coming out of HS consensus 4 star & rated as Dukes top recruit ever.
-rSo WR Kris Thornton (5’8”/170) (2019 VMI transfer, 2020 eligible). 2018 over 1,000 yds receiving/All So-Con, so I'm sure those who follow the So-Con remember the name.
-rJr DT Mason Cholewa (6’7”/305) (UCF) 2018 & 2019 on UCF 2 deep.
-rSr CB Greg Ross (6’0/188) (UNC). Played 24 games 17’-19’, 11 starts at UNC.

Offense: Think could be very good.
Starting QB is rSr Cole Johnson, who the last 4 years (including his 2nd yr when he redshirted) has backed up Bryan Schor and Ben Dinucci, who took JMU to Frisco 3x in 4 years. OL returns 3 starters, 2 All CAA, 1 a near consensus AA. Return 4 RBs who saw significant carries, 3 who started games, 2 who were All CAA. Proven transfers at WR + returning starter & 2 deepers. 2nd & 3rd TE return + a UNC transfer.

Defense: I'm not sure about.
Secondary should be good: Corners have a returning starter + a UNC starter. Safety a 3rd yr starter/former Ohio St transfer & a couple others who saw significant PT. After losing both AA DEs last season (both NFL UDFA), both would be starters went down to knee injury this past fall practice (1 of them for the 2nd yr in a row). Moved the pre season AA DT to DE. Outside of him, the rest of the front 7 is a mix of returning 2 deepers, 2019 redshirts, transfers, & true Fr.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

South Dakota State @ UNI tonight at 8/7/6/5:00 pm on ESPN+
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:09 am South Dakota State @ UNI tonight at 8/7/6/5:00 pm on ESPN+
I don’t want to jinx ya, but if McElvain continues to progress I can see you guys making a deep run with Flauter and Co.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:12 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:09 am South Dakota State @ UNI tonight at 8/7/6/5:00 pm on ESPN+
I don’t want to jinx ya, but if McElvain continues to progress I can see you guys making a deep run with Flauter and Co.
We could be really good but the MVFC is loaded - NDSU, SDSU and Ill St are all top 10 teams. Who knows who wins those dogfights?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:28 am

We could be really good but the MVFC is loaded - NDSU, SDSU and Ill St are all top 10 teams. Who knows who wins those dogfights?
ISUr plays all three of the others in March. Yikes!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

The FCS Is Set to Become Your New Spring Football Obsession
It’s been two weeks since the Super Bowl. Two long, difficult weeks without America’s favorite sport. So, ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL? You better be, because the longest, strangest season in college football history is kicking off … again. It’s time for the 2021 FCS spring season.
I haven’t found a sportsbook willing to take an NDSU national championship futures bet, but if I do I will instantly put a large sum of money on the Bison winning, whatever the odds.
No mention of UNI. Flying under the radar, I like it.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:28 am

UNI’s field is fugly.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:06 pm
There are fast white guys. It's just that black guys are faster on average. And of course when get to really elite speed the people in that category are way disproportionately black guys.

But Orgeron is a bit more athletic than I realized he was. Not just that run but the whole game. He rushed for 108 yards on 19 carries and there is no way they'd have squeaked out that win without his ability to make plays with his legs. He showed really good quickness and acceleration during that game. I knew he is a pretty good athlete but he looked a little better in that regard than I thought.

He's kind of an interesting story because he didn't play football until his senior year in high school. He was a State high school tennis champion who decided to join the football team for his final year in high school in order to play with his brother. He ended up being the starting quarterback and quarterbacking the team to the state AAAAA semifinals.
While I don't know that I want to get into racial stereotypes, I do find myself on occasion wondering what the 49ers could have done had they installed some type of option offense (in that era, probably still the Wishbone or more likely a triple option based out of the I Formation, something like we ran at UOP in 1995) with Steve Young at the helm....

That said, just looking at the box score, it appears that a major reason Tarelton blew that game was field position. Their punter managed a measly 29.4 yards on four punts. While the McNeese QB ran wild, given his rather poor game passing-wise, a better performance by the Texans' punter might have swung this game the other way....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Watching AP vs TT, until my game comes on.