Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Dallas Mavericks and the National Anthem

Post by kalm »

They should continue in general and save it only for special occasions. I hope more follow suit.

“The Dallas Mavericks have ceased playing the national anthem before home games at the direction of owner Mark Cuban, he confirmed to The Washington Post late Tuesday.

The Mavericks have not played the anthem in their first 13 preseason and regular season home games, breaking with a universal practice for professional sports in America — but one that has become fraught in recent years as athletes have seized on the moment to protest racial injustice and other causes.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washin ... utType=amp
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Dallas Mavericks and the National Anthem

Post by GannonFan »

Agreed, other than having really cool flyovers by military jets (which obviously for arenas is not a factor), national anthems before games is not really necessary. Although, I would argue that just not having the teams on the field for the anthems would solve the issue as well and not result in anthem singers from losing their jobs/chance to sing publicly. For college football, teams don't come out until after the anthem most of the time anyway.

Also on the negative side, we're now going to have generations of kids who will watch hockey and never know the words to "O, Canada" since we'll put the exnay on that as well. Progress though.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

You probably could've more easily phased this out 25 years ago. Now it's just going to be tone deaf and the Mavs franchise will get exactly what it deserves.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Said it since the beginning of the Colon Capperdink mess....get rid of ALL the faux "nationalism" that goes along with sporting events. The flags, the flyovers, the anthems, all of it. Problem solved.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:31 am Agreed, other than having really cool flyovers by military jets (which obviously for arenas is not a factor), national anthems before games is not really necessary.
Necessary, of course not. But there are a lot of really cool traditions for NHL games. We've had the same two guys doing Caps games for quite a few years and it always gets the crowd fired up.

We actually have had one of them do our national anthem before our big member golf tournament each year. Last year (2019) we even had ex Army Rangers parachute the American flag in while he sang.

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:05 pm Said it since the beginning of the Colon Capperdink mess....get rid of ALL the faux "nationalism" that goes along with sporting events. The flags, the flyovers, the anthems, all of it. Problem solved.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

That didn’t last long...

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.