Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

The New (Domestic) War on Terror

Post by kalm »

Greenwald has been pushing back hard on civil liberties/1A issues lately.

These seems like very legit concerns regarding speech, incitement of violence, and fascistic (yes, old kalmie is using it to define the left here or also why the Democratic Party is really center right - take your pick).

Curious to see everyone’s thoughts on Patriot Act Part Trois. (Or us it 4? I lose track)
We have witnessed an orgy of censorship from Silicon Valley monopolies with calls for far more aggressive speech policing, a visibly militarized Washington, D.C. featuring a non-ironically named “Green Zone,” vows from the incoming president and his key allies for a new anti-domestic terrorism bill, and frequent accusations of “sedition,” “treason,” and “terrorism” against members of Congress and citizens. This is all driven by a radical expansion of the meaning of “incitement to violence.” It is accompanied by viral-on-social-media pleas that one work with the FBI to turn in one’s fellow citizens (See Something, Say Something!) and demands for a new system of domestic surveillance.
https://greenwald.substack.com/p/the-ne ... IZOi9JenRs
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: The New (Domestic) War on Terror

Post by UNI88 »

Interesting article and a scary proposition. Greenwald is spot on.

I warned conservatives about government overreach during the Portland riots and I'll warn liberals now. Any law that expands the power of the government to restrict conservative causes/actors can also be used to restrict liberal causes/actors in the future.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:32 am Interesting article and a scary proposition. Greenwald is spot on.

I warned conservatives about government overreach during the Portland riots and I'll warn liberals now. Any law that expands the power of the government to restrict conservative causes/actors can also be used to restrict liberal causes/actors in the future.
I wonder if they don’t worry about that since lots of progonks (yes I invented a word) feel that they can eliminate conservatives through re-education
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:41 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:32 am Interesting article and a scary proposition. Greenwald is spot on.

I wonder if they don’t worry about that since lots of progonks (yes I invented a word) feel that they can eliminate conservatives through re-education
You do realize that Glenn Greenwald is solidly progressive on most issues?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Well, in DC these past few days had security theater (26k Nat Guard and 6k police), completely militarizing DC to perpetuate the myth that DC was under siege due to Trump and his ‘right wing’ supporters’.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Col Hogan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:41 am

I've read lots of posts and tweets from progonks calling for re-education of conks and their children...has Greenwald called for that?

Not all progressives are progonks...but all progonks and progressives... :nod:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Col Hogan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:47 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
I've read lots of posts and tweets from progonks calling for re-education of conks and their children...has Greenwald called for that?

I misinterpreted your new word. I took progonk to = Prog + Conk, an unholy alliance of interventionist pseudo-progressives (like Hillary, Victoria Nuland and Samantha Power) and neo-con conks (like Liz Cheney).

What's a good word for that? Neodiot? Maybe that should be it's own thread.

And Komrade Kalm has been pooh-poohing my warnings about re-education camps for quite a while
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:17 pm
Col Hogan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:47 pm

I misinterpreted your new word. I took progonk to = Prog + Conk, an unholy alliance of interventionist pseudo-progressives (like Hillary, Victoria Nuland and Samantha Power) and neo-con conks (like Liz Cheney).

And Komrade Kalm has been pooh-poohing my warnings about re-education camps for quite a while
Re-education camps? Re-education camps?

We can't even get people to comply with mask mandates or sheriffs enforcing them.

cs.com is my daily re-education camp for avoiding thinking like a conk. :lol:

Also, something to chew on. Many progressives have also been opposed to big tech and censorship concerns for years.

And the word you're looking for to describe HIllary and Liz Cheney would be semi-oxymoronic "neoliberal". :nod:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:26 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:17 pm

We can't even get people to comply with mask mandates or sheriffs enforcing them.

Also, something to chew on. Many progressives have also been opposed to big tech and censorship concerns for years.

And the word you're looking for to describe HIllary and Liz Cheney would be semi-oxymoronic "neoliberal". :nod:
Now you just need a place to go to avoid thinking like a progonk and you might be ready to join Ganny, Ibanez and me in the rational and logical middle. :mrgreen:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:43 pm

Now you just need a place to go to avoid thinking like a progonk and you might be ready to join Ganny, Ibanez and me in the rational and logical middle. :mrgreen:
Reminds of the old Groucho Marx quote that I would not join any club that would have me as a member.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

A rally/event with:
-Thousands/10s of thousands of flags.
-Thousands/10s of thousands of troops.
-Hundreds of politicians.
-No common people.
Where have we seen that before?
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Ibanez is not in the middle. :suspicious:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

This.

This "new" domestic war on terror is just going to be a civil rights grab by the gubmint. Anyone thinking anything other hasn't been paying attention.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:16 pm Well, in DC these past few days had security theater (26k Nat Guard and 6k police), completely militarizing DC to perpetuate the myth that DC was under siege due to Trump and his ‘right wing’ supporters’.
Yep, the Nat Guard were in DC to be used as nothing more than a photo op prop by the left. They questioned their loyalty, then made them sleep in a parking garage..
Thousands of National Guardsmen were allowed back into the Capitol Thursday night, hours after U.S. Capitol Police officials ordered them to vacate the facilities, sending them outdoors or to nearby parking garages after two weeks pulling security duty after the deadly riot on Jan. 6.

One unit, which had been resting in the Dirksen Senate Office building, was abruptly told to vacate the facility on Thursday, according to one Guardsman. The group was forced to rest in a nearby parking garage without internet reception, with just one electrical outlet, and one bathroom with two stalls for 5,000 troops, the person said. Temperatures in Washington were in the low 40s by nightfall.

All National Guard troops were told to vacate the Capitol and nearby congressional buildings on Thursday, and to set up mobile command centers outside or in nearby hotels, another Guardsman confirmed. They were told to take their rest breaks during their 12-hour shifts outside and in parking garages, the person said.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/2 ... tol-461220

TX, FL, NH Governors Pull National Guard Units From D.C., DeSantis Smacks Pelosi For Their Shabby Treatment
Abbott:
“This is the most offensive thing I’ve ever heard. No one should ever question the loyalty or professionalism of the Texas National Guard. I authorized more than 1,000 to go to DC. I’ll never do it again if they are disrespected like this.”
Desantis:
“They’re soldiers. They’re not Nancy Pelosi’s servants. And this comes on the backend of them trying to investigate the backgrounds of our guardsmen….I thought it was totally inappropriate. This is a half-cocked mission at this point.”
Actually gov, it was a half cocked mssion all along...
Sunnunu:
"I’ve ordered the immediate return of all New Hampshire National Guard from Washington DC. They did an outstanding job serving our nation’s capital in a time of strife and should be graciously praised, not subject to substandard conditions."
https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2021/01 ... 15-n314515
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

3 day old news, but sounds like most of the conk govs pulled their NG from DC early, since they never should have been there in the 1st place..
TX, FL, NH, MT, AK, AZ, TN, MA..
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tment.html
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

And me. Don’t forget me. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:57 pm

Reminds of the old Groucho Marx quote that I would not join any club that would have me as a member.
Freud said it first.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I'm wondering if anybody is still buying the idea that January 6 was a "false flag" operation:

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2021/0 ... n-assault/

What happened on January 6 was Trump supporters led by Trump supporters. If there was ever any doubt in anybody's mind that such is the case (and there really shouldn't have been), it should be gone by now.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:53 pm

Ibanez is not in the middle. :suspicious:
Oh but he wants you to think that! :mrgreen:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

andy7171 wrote:
HI54UNI wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:53 pm Ibanez is not in the middle. :suspicious:
I don’t care what you think. I’m not here for validation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:54 am
andy7171 wrote:
I don’t care what you think. I’m not here for validation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well FWIW I think you’re the cats meow.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Biden State Dept spokeswoman:
"The largest threat to U.S. national security are U.S. cops. Not ISIS, not Russian hackers, not anyone or anything else."
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden- ... l-security

And you wonder why some people want to declare war on the deep state. Yeah, Biden is going to be a unifyer. :roll:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:51 am Biden State Dept spokeswoman:
"The largest threat to U.S. national security are U.S. cops. Not ISIS, not Russian hackers, not anyone or anything else."

And you wonder why some people want to declare war on the deep state. Yeah, Biden is going to be a unifyer. :roll:
Yes, she’s a real Uniter.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Maybe everyone else realized this, but I just figured it out. The phrase racist has lost its power, so domestic terrorist is the new maligning label.

It's thrown out there to delegitimize and shut down discussion.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:51 am Biden State Dept spokeswoman:

This villainization of cops is quite interesting, some of which is justified. We are already seeing the results as violent crime rates are skyrocketing across every metro area in the US, from what I assume to be cops being less diligent couple with budget cutbacks. The irony of this of course being that Brown and black neighborhoods will be impacted the most. Deep blue areas will be the hardest hit. Sure will be interesting to watch play out.