Political discussions
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SDHornet »

clenz wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:39 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:38 pm Big reason I haven't done the genome mapping through sites like 21 and Me.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-us-b ... 186896#app

If you think China, and 40 other countries, and every genome mapping site out there don't already know everything about you you are sorely mistaken. Not that that being true means we should just offer everything up at will, but it's worth remembering as (royal) you sit there screaming about privacy and keeping China and the baddies from getting your information.

There was just a big story this weekend about it. China is known to have stolen extremely personal/identifiable/deep information on well over 80% of the US population. If you want to believe you are in that less than 20% then so be it.
Oh noes the chicoms have our FB info. The horror...
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

:lol:

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:40 am

If you think China, and 40 other countries, and every genome mapping site out there don't already know everything about you you are sorely mistaken. Not that that being true means we should just offer everything up at will, but it's worth remembering as (royal) you sit there screaming about privacy and keeping China and the baddies from getting your information.

There was just a big story this weekend about it. China is known to have stolen extremely personal/identifiable/deep information on well over 80% of the US population. If you want to believe you are in that less than 20% then so be it.
If you think that's what they have then I want the drugs you're on.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

clenz wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:42 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:40 am

If you think that's what they have then I want the drugs you're on.
I assume everything and anything online is available to anyone and everyone in some sort of fashion.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:32 am
kalm wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:28 am

That's being debated. LE should be able to enforce emergency restrictions regardless of whether they agree with it or not. The fact many LEO's do not is bullshit. Again, it wouldn't need to happen if people could take the available science and make the right decisions towards their community.

https://apnews.com/article/state-lawmak ... 8400ad3d3c
Couldn't disagree more. When "laws" are made outside of their normal process, I'd argue they don't endure the legal scrutiny that would ensure that the citizens rights aren't imposed on. If it was that big of a deal, the governor would work with their respective state legislatures to get these laws in place.
Hence "emergency". Look how long it's taking to pass stimulus. Legislation is a slower process and often times intentionally so over politics. It's a worthy debate as the other smells of autocracy.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:49 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:32 am

Couldn't disagree more. When "laws" are made outside of their normal process, I'd argue they don't endure the legal scrutiny that would ensure that the citizens rights aren't imposed on. If it was that big of a deal, the governor would work with their respective state legislatures to get these laws in place.
Hence "emergency". Look how long it's taking to pass stimulus. Legislation is a slower process and often times intentionally so over politics. It's a worthy debate as the other smells of autocracy.
Still disagree. Seen enough "emergency" legislation following 9/11 to know better, and so should you. Also you're talking federal level. I am vehemently opposed to a one size fits all "emergency" China Virus legislation from DC. Fuck that. Governors can and should work with their respective state legislature to get their "emergency" regulations in place to fit their needs.

Besides, MI is a perfect example of why "emergency" edicts should be limited, and fortunately for the people of MI the courts ruled Whitmer exceeded her "emergency" bounds.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

CNN sans Fred’s) and the New York Times, are suddenly ripping into the Emmy-Award winning Governor of New York for his horrible leadership and actions in the current pandemic...

Better late than never???

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:09 am
Still disagree. Seen enough "emergency" legislation following 9/11 to know better, and so should you. Also you're talking federal level. I am vehemently opposed to a one size fits all "emergency" China Virus legislation from DC. Fuck that. Governors can and should work with their respective state legislature to get their "emergency" regulations in place to fit their needs.

Besides, MI is a perfect example of why "emergency" edicts should be limited, and fortunately for the people of MI the courts ruled Whitmer exceeded her "emergency" bounds.
Gubernatorial emergency edicts have a place but they should have a running clock and require legislative approval within a month, two months max.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:24 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:55 am

Mayo Clinic still says 1 mask worn properly is enough. STOP listening to the media. :D
Didn't Fauci say 2 were better? Aren't we supposed to listen to the doctors?

People not caring about others and taking precautions isn't the only reason we're struggling with the virus. Medical experts continuously tripping over their dicks with mixed messages, arrogance and a failure to understand people is contributing as well.
For the people that only have a 1 layer masks that don't work as well as the recommended masks. Recommended home-made mask have 2 layers with a filter inside.

“If you have a physical covering with one layer, you put another layer on, it just makes common sense that it likely would be more effective,” said Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. “And that’s the reason why you see people either double masking or doing a version of an N95.”
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:38 pm Big reason I haven't done the genome mapping through sites like 21 and Me.

Unless a laboratory ran a genetic sequencing test on me without my approval, I have no genomic mapping out there. The other option is that someone took my sample and ran it outside their laboratory, which is highly unlikely.

I came from the lab industry. I understand all testing that has been performed on me.

Now could they have gotten access to my medical records? You bet, but genetic sequencing? Not yet.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Yeah...not a fan of more government and less rights. Look back on my old arguments with Ivy regarding the security state and 4th amendment.

I merely brought up the stimulus as an example of what legislatures do. All executive branches have emergency powers for this reason. The argument is how much and for how long?

Sorry Mr. Roosevelt, we’d really like to continue fighting the Nazi’s but times up!

I believe in states rights but those too are limited. Especially in a system with open borders and commerce.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:11 pm

Yeah...not a fan of more government and less rights. Look back on my old arguments with Ivy regarding the security state and 4th amendment.

I merely brought up the stimulus as an example of what legislatures do. All executive branches have emergency powers for this reason. The argument is how much and for how long?

Sorry Mr. Roosevelt, we’d really like to continue fighting the Nazi’s but times up!

I believe in states rights but those too are limited. Especially in a system with open borders and commerce.
Only limited by what’s expressly stated in the Constitution.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

I must have missed it, but did the Declaration of War approved by Congress to fight the Nazis have an end date on it???

The argument here is that Executive Emergency orders issued by various Govrnors had no legislative review/approval and by law had end-dates...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

That’s like saying “you’re getting fucked in the ass, might as well relax and try and enjoy it”.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:17 pm

That’s like saying “you’re getting fucked in the ass, might as well relax and try and enjoy it”.
“Rape is kinda like the weather. If it's inevitable, relax and enjoy it.” Clayton Williams (R - Texas)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:16 pm

I must have missed it, but did the Declaration of War approved by Congress to fight the Nazis have an end date on it???

The argument here is that Executive Emergency orders issued by various Govrnors had no legislative review/approval and by law had end-dates...
Fair point, Colonel. I could have formulated a way better analogy. :mrgreen:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:25 pm

Shocking. :coffee: :coffee: :kisswink:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Poor AZ-esque analogy. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
:flag:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:49 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:25 pm
That's a shocking example of intellectual property theft. I demand compensation! :coffee: :coffee: :kisswink:
FYP
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Remember when COVID-19 denialists were saying it was nothing compared to the seasonal flu that kills like 60,000 people per year (the 60,000 per year was an over estimate)?

Then remember when there was a meme going around talking about how an estimated 100,000 died from the Hong Kong flu in the United States but we still had Woodstock (which happened during the summer when flu activity was very low)?

Remember when people were saying the COVID-19 issue would go away on November 4?

The conservative misinformation bubble is a horrible place. Way too many people are in it.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:58 pm Remember when COVID-19 denialists were saying it was nothing compared to the seasonal flu that kills like 60,000 people per year (the 60,000 per year was an over estimate)?

Then remember when there was a meme going around talking about how an estimated 100,000 died from the Hong Kong flu in the United States but we still had Woodstock (which happened during the summer when flu activity was very low)?

Remember when people were saying the COVID-19 issue would go away on November 4?

The conservative misinformation bubble is a horrible place. Way too many people are in it.
Turns out it went away on 1/20.

AND it cured the flu. 43 cases in January. Fucking amazing.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:02 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:58 pm Remember when COVID-19 denialists were saying it was nothing compared to the seasonal flu that kills like 60,000 people per year (the 60,000 per year was an over estimate)?

Turns out it went away on 1/20.

AND it cured the flu. 43 cases in January. Fucking amazing.
43 case where?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Forget it, he's rolling..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

CDC estimates 83 million in US have had the China Virus.
https://bgr.com/2021/02/01/covid-cases- ... -estimate/
So that would leave a morality rate of less than .6%..