From Montana State...

https://msubobcats.com/news/2021/1/15/m ... eason.aspx
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Montana’s, PSU opt out of Spring conference schedule

Post by AZGrizFan »

There was a player’s parent posting on eGriz about 5-6 weeks ago saying not a SINGLE player was in support of a full spring season...not sure if that played into it at all, or if it’s even true, but this doesn’t surprise me a bit.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:27 am There was a player’s parent posting on eGriz about 5-6 weeks ago saying not a SINGLE player was in support of a full spring season...not sure if that played into it at all, or if it’s even true, but this doesn’t surprise me a bit.
PSU's coach Barnum said that the Viks have not been on the field since last March and he couldn't see us being ready from a conditioning standpoint to play on Feb. 27. The plan for the Viks now is to play two games in April (assuming against the Cats and Griz) and get ready for August.

Reading the comments from both Choate and Hauck, they are thinking the same way.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Maybe Montana's and PSU, can fill some voids in the MVFC schedule with Indiana St pulling out for the spring season.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

406sports.com report, with comment from all three schools.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 45bc6.html
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Spring football was always a stupid idea. It was never going to happen. Glad Sac State was well ahead of the curve on this call.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:02 am Spring football was always a stupid idea. It was never going to happen. Glad Sac State was well ahead of the curve on this call.
Agreed. They’re not ahead of the curve on much, but they were here. :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:02 am Spring football was always a stupid idea. It was never going to happen. Glad Sac State was well ahead of the curve on this call.
Any chance Sac State may reconsider? April is three months away and it would give the Hornets some games to prepare for fall.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

I thought Montanadians were the strong, hardy, self reliant type. You'd think they'd be among the last to fold their tents. :suspicious:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:38 pm I thought Montanadians were the strong, hardy, self reliant type. You'd think they'd be among the last to fold their tents. :suspicious:
Missoula has been ravaged by hipster libs. It's sad really... :ohno:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

kalm wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:14 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:38 pm I thought Montanadians were the strong, hardy, self reliant type. You'd think they'd be among the last to fold their tents. :suspicious:
Missoula has been ravaged by hipster libs. It's sad really... :ohno:
Same with "BozAngeles". :nod:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:41 pm
We were ahead of the curve last season. And ahead of montucky by...checks notes..27. :coffee:

2019 BSC Champs. 8-)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:45 pm
Any chance Sac State may reconsider? April is three months away and it would give the Hornets some games to prepare for fall.
Nope. Our decision on no spring FB was made on October 15th. No reason to reconsider now.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:35 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:41 pm

We were ahead of the curve last season. And ahead of montucky by...checks notes..27. :coffee:

2019 BSC Champs. 8-)
Yeah, but that guy just declared for the NFL draft, so we shall see how 2021 plays out. :coffee:

Even a broke clock is right twice a day. :nod:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

SDHornet wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:36 pm
JALMOND wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:45 pm

Nope. Our decision on no spring FB was made on October 15th. No reason to reconsider now.
But you're still going to have spring practice as usual, right? if you wait until August, you're looking at almost two years since your kids have been on a field.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:34 am
SDHornet wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:36 pm

But you're still going to have spring practice as usual, right? if you wait until August, you're looking at almost two years since your kids have been on a field.
Oh, thought you mean playing games in spring. I assume there will be a spring camp. No reason why there shouldn't be as I believe the team has been meeting in a modified setting during the fall.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:36 am
JALMOND wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:34 am

Oh, thought you mean playing games in spring. I assume there will be a spring camp. No reason why there shouldn't be as I believe the team has been meeting in a modified setting during the fall.
Similar to what Portland State is planning, only instead of a traditional, inter-squad "spring game" at the end, we are hoping to have one or two games against an actual opponent, whether it is the Cats or the Griz (or possibly the Ducks and Beavers).
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

SD makes a lot of sense here. Per the NCAA edict, you can't have both a spring game schedule AND traditional "spring ball." While most fans want to see their teams play games, using the time in the spring to install the playbook through "coaching classes" and conducting your two-week "spring ball" period makes the most sense in preparation for the fall season. That's particularly true for schools in the midst of a coaching change. (I'm not sure how many teams fit that description in the Big Sky this year, but many of you, like SD, will.) I'm not sure I like this idea of skipping the conference schedule to craft your own that I've heard some teams doing, as that will be harder to pull off, particularly for teams here out West, where it's difficult to get an OOC schedule even under "normal" conditions. As much as I as a fan want to see games, the best thing right now seems to be using the spring semester "coaching classes" to install the playbook, testing it out during the traditional two-week "spring ball," and hitting fall camp running. Hopefully, we won't have as huge a COVID hit as we had during this past fall, and that we won't have teams with as severe a performance dropoff as we saw from the Austin Peays of the world....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:54 am SD makes a lot of sense here. Per the NCAA edict, you can't have both a spring game schedule AND traditional "spring ball." While most fans want to see their teams play games, using the time in the spring to install the playbook through "coaching classes" and conducting your two-week "spring ball" period makes the most sense in preparation for the fall season. That's particularly true for schools in the midst of a coaching change. (I'm not sure how many teams fit that description in the Big Sky this year, but many of you, like SD, will.) I'm not sure I like this idea of skipping the conference schedule to craft your own that I've heard some teams doing, as that will be harder to pull off, particularly for teams here out West, where it's difficult to get an OOC schedule even under "normal" conditions. As much as I as a fan want to see games, the best thing right now seems to be using the spring semester "coaching classes" to install the playbook, testing it out during the traditional two-week "spring ball," and hitting fall camp running. Hopefully, we won't have as huge a COVID hit as we had during this past fall, and that we won't have teams with as severe a performance dropoff as we saw from the Austin Peays of the world....
Obviously it's just your opinion, but what's to stop coaches from doing the same thing you're talking about, but do so over the course of a longer spring season where they play games and actually get more time with the players? You make it seem like you can't coach or teach while playing a spring season. You get even more time with the players and more chances to "test it out". I don't see that being a disadvantage for the fall. Heck, the Montana schools cited the weather as being more of an obstacle to playing in the spring than anything else.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:45 am
SuperHornet wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:54 am SD makes a lot of sense here. Per the NCAA edict, you can't have both a spring game schedule AND traditional "spring ball." While most fans want to see their teams play games, using the time in the spring to install the playbook through "coaching classes" and conducting your two-week "spring ball" period makes the most sense in preparation for the fall season. That's particularly true for schools in the midst of a coaching change. (I'm not sure how many teams fit that description in the Big Sky this year, but many of you, like SD, will.) I'm not sure I like this idea of skipping the conference schedule to craft your own that I've heard some teams doing, as that will be harder to pull off, particularly for teams here out West, where it's difficult to get an OOC schedule even under "normal" conditions. As much as I as a fan want to see games, the best thing right now seems to be using the spring semester "coaching classes" to install the playbook, testing it out during the traditional two-week "spring ball," and hitting fall camp running. Hopefully, we won't have as huge a COVID hit as we had during this past fall, and that we won't have teams with as severe a performance dropoff as we saw from the Austin Peays of the world....
Obviously it's just your opinion, but what's to stop coaches from doing the same thing you're talking about, but do so over the course of a longer spring season where they play games and actually get more time with the players? You make it seem like you can't coach or teach while playing a spring season. You get even more time with the players and more chances to "test it out". I don't see that being a disadvantage for the fall. Heck, the Montana schools cited the weather as being more of an obstacle to playing in the spring than anything else.
I assume most schools playing this winter/spring are starting practice late Jan, 1st game mid-late Feb. Average February daily low/high according to Timeanddate.com:
Bangor, ME: 9/32
Albany, NY: 17/34
Durham, NH: 19/35
Bozeman: 14/37
Missoula: 22/38

Guess Maine, UNH, Albany, etc are just tougher than Montana... :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:43 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:45 am

I assume most schools playing this winter/spring are starting practice late Jan, 1st game mid-late Feb. Average February daily low/high according to Timeanddate.com:

That's great if you could COUNT on that in Missoula and Bozangeles. It's just as likely to be -15 for weeks on end in February.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:43 am

That's great if you could COUNT on that in Missoula and Bozangeles. It's just as likely to be -15 for weeks on end in February.
If the avg daily high is 37-38 in Feb, and you're just as likely to be -15 for weeks on end, then that would mean it would be just as likely to be in the 80s for weeks on end in Feb..
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:45 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm

If the avg daily high is 37-38 in Feb, and you're just as likely to be -15 for weeks on end, then that would mean it would be just as likely to be in the 80s for weeks on end in Feb..
That’s a possibility as well. And sometimes in the same day. Your point?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I thought others including us might fold with the Montana’s and PSU but so far so good.
Five Big Sky Conference football teams have opted out of the conference’s six-game delayed spring season, necessitating a revised schedule that was released Monday.

Eastern Washington will now face nearby Idaho twice, an effort to save on costs after the coronavirus pandemic took a bite out of several Big Sky members’ budgets.

The Eagles open the season Feb. 27 against the Vandals in the warm confines of the Kibbie Dome. Both teams end their regular seasons at Roos Field on April 10.

“Hell yes! Moscow in 33 days!” EWU offensive coordinator Ian Shoemaker tweeted.

”Wouldn’t want it any other way!” Idaho tight end and former Cheney High standout Logan Kendall tweeted back.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/ ... UCTopqdzWk