Best President Ever

Political discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 19866
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Best President Ever

Post by BDKJMU »

Just for JSO..
User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 19866
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Best President Ever

Post by BDKJMU »

A partial list of Trump's long list of accomplishments.

Domestic
1.Judicial appointments (3 SCOTUS judges + NUMEROUS Circuit).
2.Tax cuts for 2/3 of taxpayers.
3.Getting tougher on Illegal Immigration (numerous things)
4.Unemployment before the China Virus, and bounce back since.
5.Stock Market
6.Ending Obamacare mandate.
7.Deregulation.
8.Approving Keystone and Dakota Access pipelines.
9.American Energy Independence- net exporter.
10.VA Reform: Greatly expanded & made permanent what had started under Obama as a limited, temporary, VA Choice Program.
11.Criminal Justice Reform.
12. Creation of Space Force: 1st new military branch since 1947.
13.Operation Warp Speed: Vaccine faster than the experts thought possible.

Foreign Policy
1.Renegotiating NAFTA (United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement.
2.Pulling out of Trans Pacific Partnership
3.Getting tough on China. A trade war is bad, but with China
-we have a massive trade deficit.
-China puts tarriffs on US goods.
-They manipulate their currency.
-They committ massive state sponsored economic espionage.
4.Nixing the terrible Iran Deal.
-Didn’t allow for unannounced, unfettered inspections
-Unfroze 150 billion in Iranian assets
-1.7 billion direct cash to Iran.
5.Pulling out of the Paris Climate deal.
-Not a treaty
-Didn’t hold China & India to same standard.
-Would cost our economy trillions with marginal benefit in terms of stopping any human caused global warming.
6.Getting deadbeat NATO countries to pledge to pay more.
7.Pulling out Syria.
8.Opening dialogue with North Korea.
9. Middle East Peace deal
. (which resulted in Nobel Peace Prize nomination).
10. Balkans Peace Deal (which resulted in another Nobel Peace Prize nomination).
11. Al Baghdadi killed- founder of ISIS.
12. Soleimani killed.
13. Moved US Embassy to Jerusalem.
14. NO NEW WARS
- 1st POTUS in 40 years to have that accomplishment.
User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 27790
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: Best President Ever

Post by Gil Dobie »

Not Trump and it won't be Biden.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10903
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: Best President Ever

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:49 pm Just for JSO..
:rofl:
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:14 pm Not Trump and it won't be Biden.
Same can probably be said for the other thread.
User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 18951
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Best President Ever

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ok I'll go ahead and do it this time:
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:50 pm A partial list of Trump's long list of accomplishments.

Domestic
1.Judicial appointments (3 SCOTUS judges + NUMEROUS Circuit).
That's an accomplishment? So, you accomplished something because Mitch McConnell held a spot open for you then two other Justices died? Who couldn't appoint a Justice when a spot comes open?
2.Tax cuts for 2/3 of taxpayers.
Very minimal cut for most people who got a cut. Falsely sold as resulting in a 4 to 6 percent GDP growth rate. Falsely sold as not increasing the deficit over what it would have been. Increased the deficit over what it would have been.
3.Getting tougher on Illegal Immigration (numerous things)
With very little actual impact. Just cruelty that excited his fans. See https://www.cato.org/blog/president-tru ... mmigration.
4.Unemployment before the China Virus, and bounce back since.
A trend established during Obama continued. Most of the decline happened before Trump took office.
5.Stock Market
A trend established under Obama continued. The Dow increased in value by 57% during Trump's first (and hopefully only) term. It increased by 72% during Obama's first term.
6.Ending Obamacare mandate.
Obamacare is still in place and most people favor it. The only thing ending the mandate did was exacerbate a funding problem.
7.Deregulation.
The jury is out on that one with respect to net impact. I haven't yet really looked into it. But, obviously, there are people who argue that the deregulation has had adverse impacts.
8.Approving Keystone and Dakota Access pipelines.
See response to 7. Whether that was an accomplishment or a bad decision is subject to debate. I personally am fine with those pipelines. But there are obviously a lot of people who aren't.
9.American Energy Independence- net exporter.
America is not energy independent. See https://www.deccanherald.com/internatio ... 92693.html. It i getting close. But that is a result of another trend that started before Trump took office. He didn't cause it.
10.VA Reform: Greatly expanded & made permanent what had started under Obama as a limited, temporary, VA Choice Program.
See https://apnews.com/article/375515aecedb ... 2eb9c54eb6. Another instance of him claiming credit for something that was already happening.
11.Criminal Justice Reform.
I'll go with this one without making sure by looking it up. You never can tell because Trump is so bad about claiming credit for things he didn't actually do. But i don't recall seeing anything to indicate that in this case.
12. Creation of Space Force: 1st new military branch since 1947.
This changes nothing. A stunt.
13.Operation Warp Speed: Vaccine faster than the experts thought possible.
Operation Warp Speed had very little to do with how quickly a vaccine was developed. There were all sorts of factors. it was a World Wide effort. See article at https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... e-research.

It is very likely that, Trump or no Trump, the vaccine would have been developed according to about the timeline that occurred. Another example of Trump claiming credit for something that would have happened anyway.

Ok I may or may not do the Foreign Policy stuff later. This is the problem. Trump fans throw out all this complete crap and you have to take the time and effort to rebut it. But you get the idea. Historians will do all that and they will conclude that Trump was an absolutely awful President who accomplished little other than completely mishandling the one big crisis that showed up, destroying the United States' credibility, and otherwise screwing up our government.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image
User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 19866
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Best President Ever

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:56 pm Ok I'll go ahead and do it this time:
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:50 pm A partial list of Trump's long list of accomplishments.

Domestic
1.Judicial appointments (3 SCOTUS judges + NUMEROUS Circuit).
That's an accomplishment? So, you accomplished something because Mitch McConnell held a spot open for you then two other Justices died? Who couldn't appoint a Justice when a spot comes open?
2.Tax cuts for 2/3 of taxpayers.
Very minimal cut for most people who got a cut. Falsely sold as resulting in a 4 to 6 percent GDP growth rate. Falsely sold as not increasing the deficit over what it would have been. Increased the deficit over what it would have been.
3.Getting tougher on Illegal Immigration (numerous things)
With very little actual impact. Just cruelty that excited his fans. See https://www.cato.org/blog/president-tru ... mmigration.
4.Unemployment before the China Virus, and bounce back since.
A trend established during Obama continued. Most of the decline happened before Trump took office.
5.Stock Market
A trend established under Obama continued. The Dow increased in value by 57% during Trump's first (and hopefully only) term. It increased by 72% during Obama's first term.
6.Ending Obamacare mandate.
Obamacare is still in place and most people favor it. The only thing ending the mandate did was exacerbate a funding problem.
7.Deregulation.
The jury is out on that one with respect to net impact. I haven't yet really looked into it. But, obviously, there are people who argue that the deregulation has had adverse impacts.
8.Approving Keystone and Dakota Access pipelines.
See response to 7. Whether that was an accomplishment or a bad decision is subject to debate. I personally am fine with those pipelines. But there are obviously a lot of people who aren't.
9.American Energy Independence- net exporter.
America is not energy independent. See https://www.deccanherald.com/internatio ... 92693.html. It i getting close. But that is a result of another trend that started before Trump took office. He didn't cause it.
10.VA Reform: Greatly expanded & made permanent what had started under Obama as a limited, temporary, VA Choice Program.
See https://apnews.com/article/375515aecedb ... 2eb9c54eb6. Another instance of him claiming credit for something that was already happening.
11.Criminal Justice Reform.
I'll go with this one without making sure by looking it up. You never can tell because Trump is so bad about claiming credit for things he didn't actually do. But i don't recall seeing anything to indicate that in this case.
12. Creation of Space Force: 1st new military branch since 1947.
This changes nothing. A stunt.
13.Operation Warp Speed: Vaccine faster than the experts thought possible.
Operation Warp Speed had very little to do with how quickly a vaccine was developed. There were all sorts of factors. it was a World Wide effort. See article at https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... e-research.

It is very likely that, Trump or no Trump, the vaccine would have been developed according to about the timeline that occurred. Another example of Trump claiming credit for something that would have happened anyway.

Ok I may or may not do the Foreign Policy stuff later. This is the problem. Trump fans throw out all this complete crap and you have to take the time and effort to rebut it. But you get the idea. Historians will do all that and they will conclude that Trump was an absolutely awful President who accomplished little other than completely mishandling the one big crisis that showed up, destroying the United States' credibility, and otherwise screwing up our government.
Image
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48957
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Best President Ever

Post by kalm »

First president in Gallup’s history to never achieve 50% approval rating. Lowest aggregate approval rating in history by 4 points.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/328637/las ... d-low.aspx

Shocker!
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10903
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: Best President Ever

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:16 am First president in Gallup’s history to never achieve 50% approval rating. Lowest aggregate approval rating in history by 4 points.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/328637/las ... d-low.aspx

Shocker!
I believe the Gallup Poll started around FDR's time. Good thing for Buchanan and A Johnson.
User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 18951
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Best President Ever

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:01 am
kalm wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:16 am First president in Gallup’s history to never achieve 50% approval rating. Lowest aggregate approval rating in history by 4 points.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/328637/las ... d-low.aspx

Shocker!
I believe the Gallup Poll started around FDR's time. Good thing for Buchanan and A Johnson.
The sad thing about that Gallup polling is, yes, Trump has the lowest average rating going back through FDR. But he didn't have much variability. He never got lower than 34% and that wasn't until after his recent shenanigans. Unbelievable that so many people would approve of somebody that has done as much damage to this country as that guy has.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image
User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 19866
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Best President Ever

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:38 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:01 am

I believe the Gallup Poll started around FDR's time. Good thing for Buchanan and A Johnson.
The sad thing about that Gallup polling is, yes, Trump has the lowest average rating going back through FDR. But he didn't have much variability. He never got lower than 34% and that wasn't until after his recent shenanigans. Unbelievable that so many people would approve of somebody that has done as much damage to this country as that guy has.
Gallup poll started under Truman- FDR isn’t in there.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 48957
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Best President Ever

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:06 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:38 pm

The sad thing about that Gallup polling is, yes, Trump has the lowest average rating going back through FDR. But he didn't have much variability. He never got lower than 34% and that wasn't until after his recent shenanigans. Unbelievable that so many people would approve of somebody that has done as much damage to this country as that guy has.
Gallup poll started under Truman- FDR isn’t in there.
Oh good. So he’s 12th out of 12 instead of 13th out of 13. :sleep:
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 10903
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88
Location: Fence Sitter & Ball-Sack Splitter

Re: Best President Ever

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:55 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:06 pm
Gallup poll started under Truman- FDR isn’t in there.
Oh good. So he’s 12th out of 12 instead of 13th out of 13. :sleep:
Is he 12th or tied with Carter for 11th?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 56612
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Best President Ever

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:49 pm Just for JSO..
These threads are like saying, "Beetlejuice" 3 times. :x :x :x :x :x
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
houndawg
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18035
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg
Location: Egypt

Re: Best President Ever

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:01 am
kalm wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:16 am First president in Gallup’s history to never achieve 50% approval rating. Lowest aggregate approval rating in history by 4 points.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/328637/las ... d-low.aspx

Shocker!
I believe the Gallup Poll started around FDR's time. Good thing for Buchanan and A Johnson.
They would have polled higher than trump too. :coffee:
Subvert the dominant paradigm
Post Reply