Political memes, Posters, Funny Pics, Etc.

Political discussions
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Political memes, Posters, Funny Pics, Etc.

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:18 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:16 pm

This is the CDC's ILINet Graph. Look at how much lower it is than the baseline and other seasons.

Site link: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

My post was for 2020, your post is for 2020-2021 flu season. In previous years for example, most of the people I work with, that didn't get the flu shot, got the flu, because they were in the same office working side by side. This year, everyone is working from home, no flu, no taking it home and sharing it with family and spreading it to their work or schools. You hoaxers have a tough time with this spread and reduce the spread idea. :kisswink:
I gotta say Gil, you must work around some incredibly sick people. First you seem to know an incredible amount of people who not only got COVID but died from it, and now you say that most (key word there being most) of the people you work with who don't get flu shots actually get the flu. As we discussed on here before, most of us here don't really know a lot of people who have gotten COVID and then died of it (not saying it isn't an incredible health crisis, because it is, but that it's still very likely to have no personal contact with it), and I'd wager a fair number of people here don't get the flu shot and also don't get the flu. I started getting the flu shot 2 or 3 years ago when someone here at work got Rite Aid to come to our building and give us the shots - I literally have to walk 30 ft down the hall to a conference room once a year to get a shot that takes less than a minute to administer for free - I figured why not. But I also went more than 40 years prior to that not getting a flu shot and have never actually gotten the flu. You're worrying me Gil, it's starting to look like just knowing you could present a vector. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:17 pm Image
That's just funny right there.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:37 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:46 pm
Isn't it obvious that flu cases are dropping because more people are limiting their contacts with others and practicing better hygiene? It might not be enough to stop COVID but it is conducive to a drop in flu cases.
I was thinking about this a little more and believe you could be correct on a couple aspects. As COVID is a new version of the cold, people could have lower immunity vs the flu and thus "catch" it more easily.

The other would be the difference in mechanisms in how they infect. By virtue of how the two enter a person's system, COVID might due a better job.

With that being said, I don't know of any studies at this point that prove those out, but they bolster your statement...but, still doesn't explain all of the drop.
The precautions being taken (masks, physical distancing, capacity limits, fewer big events, limited travel, etc.) are pretty significant and IMO could explain the drop. If it does, then COVID is much more contagious than the flu. How bad would COVID be if we decided it wasn't a big deal and did nothing?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:23 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:18 pm

My post was for 2020, your post is for 2020-2021 flu season. In previous years for example, most of the people I work with, that didn't get the flu shot, got the flu, because they were in the same office working side by side. This year, everyone is working from home, no flu, no taking it home and sharing it with family and spreading it to their work or schools. You hoaxers have a tough time with this spread and reduce the spread idea. :kisswink:
I gotta say Gil, you must work around some incredibly sick people. First you seem to know an incredible amount of people who not only got COVID but died from it, and now you say that most (key word there being most) of the people you work with who don't get flu shots actually get the flu. As we discussed on here before, most of us here don't really know a lot of people who have gotten COVID and then died of it (not saying it isn't an incredible health crisis, because it is, but that it's still very likely to have no personal contact with it), and I'd wager a fair number of people here don't get the flu shot and also don't get the flu. I started getting the flu shot 2 or 3 years ago when someone here at work got Rite Aid to come to our building and give us the shots - I literally have to walk 30 ft down the hall to a conference room once a year to get a shot that takes less than a minute to administer for free - I figured why not. But I also went more than 40 years prior to that not getting a flu shot and have never actually gotten the flu. You're worrying me Gil, it's starting to look like just knowing you could present a vector. :coffee:
The flu is an annual thing, people come to work or school sick and share their diseases. I've probably had the flu 40 times. There's not a lot of outdoor activity here, during the flu season. There's about 7500 people on just my work campus, and they have busses picking up people in the parking lots during the winter months. A lot of people in close proximity.

On the lighter side, I do not know anyone that has died from the flu.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:30 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:23 am

The flu is an annual thing, people come to work or school sick and share their diseases. I've probably had the flu 40 times. There's not a lot of outdoor activity here, during the flu season. There's about 7500 people on just my work campus, and they have busses picking up people in the parking lots during the winter months. A lot of people in close proximity.

Yikes, 40 times? What the heck is going on up there in North Dakota? I thought you guys ice fish, no? Is it too much curling (or is that a Bemidji thing)?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:34 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:30 am

Yikes, 40 times? What the heck is going on up there in North Dakota? I thought you guys ice fish, no? Is it too much curling (or is that a Bemidji thing)?
Mostly we went to high school basketball games every weekend. Snowmobiling and stuff was only for a short time, maybe an afternoon, then inside again to play cards, go to a movie or watch TV, etc. Ice drinking with some fishing on the side is mostly indoors.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:34 pm
Ibanez wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:13 pm
Right!!??? Why didn’t Trump do anything? Fucking pussy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And absent federalization, who controls the Nat Guard? :dunce:
And if Trump had federalized them against the ANTIFA/BLM riots, the left would have gone apeshit, been calling him racist, Hitler, etc..
Maybe trump shouldn't had provoked an angry mob. You know, if Trump has a real leader and a man, we probably wouldn't be talking about it.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:18 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:34 pm
And absent federalization, who controls the Nat Guard? :dunce:
And if Trump had federalized them against the ANTIFA/BLM riots, the left would have gone apeshit, been calling him racist, Hitler, etc..
Maybe trump shouldn't had provoked an angry mob. You know, if Trump has a real leader and a man, we probably wouldn't be talking about it.
As you like to say, "Let's get to the root cause". Why was the crowd angry?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:34 pm And absent federalization, who controls the Nat Guard? :dunce:
DC national guard? Can only be called up by POTUS/Sec Of Defense.

We should probably give DC statehood to rectify this issue in the future. :coffee:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:33 am
Ibanez wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:18 am

As you like to say, "Let's get to the root cause". Why was the crowd angry?
Because Biden won and Trump told them it was rigged and stolen with no proof or evidence of the fact.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:33 am As you like to say, "Let's get to the root cause". Why was the crowd angry?
Because they had been fed horseshit about voter fraud and QAnon
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:45 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:34 pm And absent federalization, who controls the Nat Guard? :dunce:

We should probably merge DC into Maryland to rectify this issue in the future. :coffee:
FYP
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Not pictured: SUV labeled "Republican Party" speeding up to pass on the right.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:46 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:33 am As you like to say, "Let's get to the root cause". Why was the crowd angry?
And because they’re really dumb and damaged humans.

(And yes UNI...just like ANTIFA!!!)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:07 am Image

Not pictured: SUV labeled "Republican Party" speeding up to pass on the right.
:lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

So you're in the "vOtEr FrAuD dOeSnT eXiSt" crowd. Not surprising giving your willingness to buy the Russia bullshit. :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

We should probably give DC statehood to rectify this issue in the future. :coffee:
Most of the NG there was from outside DC.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:54 am

We should probably merge DC into Maryland to rectify this issue in the future. :coffee:
FYP
I'd say give them to VA, but at least there is some slim chance VA could one day vote red. So I guess we'll have to take them. Maybe Delaware too.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:24 pm

So you're in the "vOtEr FrAuD dOeSnT eXiSt" crowd. Not surprising giving your willingness to buy the Russia bullshit. :lol:
it isn't that voter fraud doesn't exist. it does but it is miniscule. a handful of people have been arrested and charged with it in the 2020 election.

the horseshit is that there was VAST voter fraud consisting of millions of votes which is what the former president claimed in 2016 and 2020 and never produced any evidence.

just this week, the "kraken" lawsuit in georgia was dropped just before they had to produce evidence. so, don't give me the "lawsuits were only thrown out because of standing" horseshit either.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:45 pm

Most of the NG there was from outside DC.
and virginia or maryland can't send their national guard into DC without approval from DoD. so, what's your point?

maryland's governor was trying to deploy the national guard to DC during the insurrection, but was rebuffed by DoD.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:25 pm maryland's governor was trying to deploy the national guard to DC during the insurrection, but was rebuffed by DoD.
Not really worth getting into but not entirely accurate. They were delayed, but they wouldn't have been there to stop it, just end it a few minutes sooner.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:28 pm Image
Who's that guy? Is that McCain? Can't really make it out.

Why are we more apt to have a war with Iran now rather than with Trump? Trump's the one who flipped the Middle East diplomacy around to make it almost entirely anti-Iran now. I think Biden's going to find it hard to go back to the days of the John Kerry-appease-Iran-and-they'll-magically-like-us plan, but I don't see him going even further than Trump went to antagonize them either.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:18 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:25 pm maryland's governor was trying to deploy the national guard to DC during the insurrection, but was rebuffed by DoD.
Not really worth getting into but not entirely accurate. They were delayed, but they wouldn't have been there to stop it, just end it a few minutes sooner.
They were delayed because they were denied.

No need to quibble on that, though. As far as DC is concerned, the National Guard is federalized... despite BDK's best attempts to argue otherwise.
Last edited by Skjellyfetti on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:36 pm
89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:18 pm
They were delayed because they were denied.
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said Thursday he immediately mobilized state police and National Guard members when asked to go to Washington to help protect the U.S. Capitol, but the state was repeatedly denied permission before finally being authorized to send help by a defense official.
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your ... nal-guard/

No need to quibble on that, though. As far as DC is concerned, the National Guard is federalized... despite BDK's best attempts to argue otherwise.
They also weren't asked for in a timely manner. I'm pretty sure the Capitol Police made it clear they didn't think they would be required in the leadup to this. No doubt they were delayed once they realized they needed to be called in, but we certainly blew it in terms of assessing the threat prior to it happening.