Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Ohio State or Alabama

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:22 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:31 pm
Wow, referring to all Big 5 teams + Notre Dame and Gonzaga as ‘WE’ must be confusing.
FTR, I'm not sure I've ever heard Ganny refer even to the Hens as "we". Think you tried to read too much into that.
No, the conversation was over referring to multiple teams same sport/level as "WE".

FWIW its worth, in a doz yrs or whatever it is, you've never heard me refer to JMU as "We" (never have for any team I pulled for). My response to people doing it (esp somewhere you didn't go to school) "What's this "we" shit? You're not on the team." To each his own I guess.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:08 pm

FTR, I'm not sure I've ever heard Ganny refer even to the Hens as "we". Think you tried to read too much into that.
No, the conversation was over referring to multiple teams same sport/level as "WE".

FWIW its worth, in a doz yrs or whatever it is, you've never heard me refer to JMU as "We" (never have for any team I pulled for). My response to people doing it (esp somewhere you didn't go to school) "What's this "we" shit? You're not on the team." To each his own I guess.
why is it such a big deal to you? That's a hell of a hill to die on.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

It was a one sided conversation as you were the only one bringing up the "we" aspect. Mark, Ganny and I were talking about rooting for multiple teams.

People that get upset over fans using "we" need to get a life. :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:18 pm

It was a one sided conversation as you were the only one bringing up the "we" aspect. Mark, Ganny and I were talking about rooting for multiple teams.

I'm not upset about it. I :lol: at people talking like they're part of the team..
Same as a grown man wearing a jersey with another man's name on his back. Different strokes for different folks.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 pm
89Hen wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:18 pm

I'm not upset about it. I :lol: at people talking like they're part of the team..
Same as a grown man wearing a jersey with another man's name on his back. Different strokes for different folks.
So you're saying you have a problem with it, but don't have a problem with it. I have a MUCH bigger problem with a grown man wearing a custom jersey with HIS name on the back of a team for which he's never played. Stolen valor kind of thing.

FTR, I have three Ovechkin jerseys and I proudly wear them to Caps games where we root for our team. :ugeek:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:47 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 pm
So you're saying you have a problem with it, but don't have a problem with it. I have a MUCH bigger problem with a grown man wearing a custom jersey with HIS name on the back of a team for which he's never played. Stolen valor kind of thing.

FTR, I have three Ovechkin jerseys and I proudly wear them to Caps games where we root for our team. :ugeek:
Agreed. Who, over the age of 5 (and even then it's weird) puts their own name on a jersey? I have a Brian Dawkins Eagles jersey and a Rich Gannon Chiefs jersey. Don't see the problem in that.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:48 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:47 pm

Agreed. Who, over the age of 5 (and even then it's weird) puts their own name on a jersey? I have a Brian Dawkins Eagles jersey and a Rich Gannon Chiefs jersey. Don't see the problem in that.
Playing devil's advocate - what if you're a diehard Seahawks fan and you have your name on a #12 (for 12th man) jersey?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:19 am

Playing devil's advocate - what if you're a diehard Seahawks fan and you have your name on a #12 (for 12th man) jersey?
I give that an okay. It's a very specific fan-orientated thing, almost like a fan club. Not many teams have that so it's not even that common in places other than Seattle. Do they have to pay a royalty to Texas A&M for using the moniker?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Double devil's advocate: What if your favorite player has the same last name as you do? :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:36 am

Double devil's advocate: What if your favorite player has the same last name as you do? :coffee: :coffee:
Obviously no issue, assuming they are a real player of note. You can't just like the long-snapper because you share a last name and it gets your name on the jersey.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:18 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:36 am

Obviously no issue, assuming they are a real player of note. You can't just like the long-snapper because you share a last name and it gets your name on the jersey.
I'll have to disagree with you IF you also have the long snapper's number. It's fine to have ANY player on the team. The long snapper from the Giants years ago was a guy from my club. His parents were at my wedding. Had he been an Eagle, I may have gotten one.

For the Seattle scenario, Zorn is the only player to have worn #12. It's retired in honor of the fans, so OK for a fan to have their name. However, if I were a Seattle fan, I'd have a #12 Zorn jersey as he was my favorite player along with Largent (coincidentally also a member at my club) when I was a kid.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Missed this 3 week old gem: BAMA-Ohio St the lowest rated/least watched national title game ever.
https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/fo ... -game-ever
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Forget BOTH of them.

Give me Sac State any day of the week....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.