89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Ohio State or Alabama

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:13 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:10 am FTR, as long as it's not Florida or South Carolina. Would love to see Tennessee come back to the top.
Don't worry about South Carolina. We aren't going anywhere, anytime soon.

Prick. :mrgreen:
Sorry, just too many kids around here are going there so lots of new fans. I have two nieces and a nephew who went there, but I can't stand the Cocks, mostly due to the ones on my wife's side. They are brainwashed that everything USC and Columbia have no peers. It's really crazy and unfounded.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:08 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:58 am This is boring and bad for NCAAF. Early predictions for 2021 season look like the same 6-7 teams. Something needs to change.
Covid or not, teams that play 6 games shouldn't be in the NC when there are others with better record or at least played almost twice as many games. :coffee: :coffee:

I really just do not like Ohio State. They could be playing a team of murders and rapists - i'll still not root for Ohio State.
Why? How is delaying the start of the season to reduce the risk of a COVID outbreak different from cancelling the final game of the regular season in order to reduce the risk of a COVID outbreak?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:22 am

Sorry, just too many kids around here are going there so lots of new fans. I have two nieces and a nephew who went there, but I can't stand the Cocks, mostly due to the ones on my wife's side. They are brainwashed that everything USC and Columbia have no peers. It's really crazy and unfounded.
Same here for Clemson. And honestly - Columbia's peers are other shitty towns.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:28 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:08 am

Covid or not, teams that play 6 games shouldn't be in the NC when there are others with better record or at least played almost twice as many games. :coffee: :coffee:

I really just do not like Ohio State. They could be playing a team of murders and rapists - i'll still not root for Ohio State.
That's fine, but NOBODY was going to challenge Bama last night. I'm pretty sure they could beat several NFL teams.
Yup. Bama is on a different level than everyone else.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:14 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:10 am FTR, as long as it's not Florida or South Carolina. Would love to see Tennessee come back to the top.
I agree, I do kind of miss them. Great football environment there in Knoxville. It would be better to see a Nebraska be viable again, and maybe at least one Pac-12 team. The Pac-12 is almost in danger of sinking to G5 status for football.
Nebraska won't be at the top any time soon. As a program, I think they are still reeling from moving from a TX based conference to one based in the rust belt. Not sure where they will get their talent from now that they aren't playing a few games in talent rich TX every year.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:14 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:14 am

I agree, I do kind of miss them. Great football environment there in Knoxville. It would be better to see a Nebraska be viable again, and maybe at least one Pac-12 team. The Pac-12 is almost in danger of sinking to G5 status for football.
Nebraska won't be at the top any time soon. As a program, I think they are still reeling from moving from a TX based conference to one based in the rust belt. Not sure where they will get their talent from now that they aren't playing a few games in talent rich TX every year.
Is that true though? On a lark, I looked up the roster from their 1995 team (last year Frazier was QB) and compared it to this past year - in 1995 they have a total of 7 Texas players on the roster (nobody really stood out as a difference maker I remember) and in 2020 they had a total of 6 Texas players. That doesn't really seem to be the difference. If anything, the difference looked to be far less Nebraska players on the team in 2020 versus 1995 (kinda like how NDSU teams are full of kids from North Dakota even though no one thinks of high school football when you mention North Dakota). What happened to the talent pool in Nebraska high schools? Why was it good then but now not so much?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

What is this "We" shit. :( I thought your FBS team was CCU, whom you have also used "we" for this past season..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:01 pm

What is this "We" shit. :( I thought your FBS team was CCU, whom you have also used "we" for this past season..
Is this a serious question or are you just being silly?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:13 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:01 pm
1/2 and 1/2. You graduated from CCU, right?

Don't say because you grew up in SC. I grew up in VA, used to root hard for VT for a decade or 2, had some extended family go there, but never referred to them as "We"
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:28 pm
Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:13 pm

Don't say because you grew up in SC. I grew up in VA, used to root hard for VT for a decade or 2, had some extended family go there, but never referred to them as "We"
I did graduate, in 4 years! Quite feat back in the early 2000s.

I grew up rooting for South Carolina b/c all my family are Clemson fans. I've got 3 state teams, The Citadel, CCU and S.Carolina. I probably attended every single Citadel home football, basketball and baseball game in the 1990s. I'm still a fan, though I couldn't tell you who is on any teams.
Last edited by Ibanez on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:01 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:28 pm

I grew up rooting for South Carolina b/c all my family are Clemson fans. I've got 3 state teams, The Citadel, CCU and S.Carolina. I probably attended every single home football, basketball and baseball game in the 1990s. I'm still a fan, though I couldn't tell you who is on any teams.
So what happens when 2 of them play each other. Is it "we" versus "we"?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

That didn't go well. I saw that Ohio State lost some players including two defensive line starters to COVID but that was still a just awful effort by their defense. I know Alabama was really good on offense but that is the worst I've seen a defense look against Alabama all year with the possible exception of Ole Miss. Flipping Notre Dame gave up three TDs on Alabama's first three possessions but did a decent job after that.

Another thing that hurt was Sermon getting hurt right off the bat after looking all world once they started using him a lot. But still.

Makes me wish Clemson would've beaten Ohio State. I've got to believe their defense would've done better than THAT. And the thing is, as I said, when the NFL draft comes Ohio State is going to have a bunch of players drafted. My bet it won't be as many as Alabama but I wouldn't be surprised if they are #2 in that area. Another example of Ohio State being an under achieving program given the talent level they have year in and year out.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW, a different subject, but I was thinking the other day that it's too bad for Ohio State that, if Meyer was going to retire, the timing wasn't such that they ended up with Fickell as their head coach.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:12 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:14 am

Is that true though? On a lark, I looked up the roster from their 1995 team (last year Frazier was QB) and compared it to this past year - in 1995 they have a total of 7 Texas players on the roster (nobody really stood out as a difference maker I remember) and in 2020 they had a total of 6 Texas players. That doesn't really seem to be the difference. If anything, the difference looked to be far less Nebraska players on the team in 2020 versus 1995 (kinda like how NDSU teams are full of kids from North Dakota even though no one thinks of high school football when you mention North Dakota). What happened to the talent pool in Nebraska high schools? Why was it good then but now not so much?
Tougher NCAA steroid testing protocols. :coffee:

Serious answer: probably crappier coaching.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:50 pm That didn't go well. I saw that Ohio State lost some players including two defensive line starters to COVID but that was still a just awful effort by their defense. I know Alabama was really good on offense but that is the worst I've seen a defense look against Alabama all year with the possible exception of Ole Miss. Flipping Notre Dame gave up three TDs on Alabama's first three possessions but did a decent job after that.

Another thing that hurt was Sermon getting hurt right off the bat after looking all world once they started using him a lot. But still.

Makes me wish Clemson would've beaten Ohio State. I've got to believe their defense would've done better than THAT. And the thing is, as I said, when the NFL draft comes Ohio State is going to have a bunch of players drafted. My bet it won't be as many as Alabama but I wouldn't be surprised if they are #2 in that area. Another example of Ohio State being an under achieving program given the talent level they have year in and year out.
Agree about the Sermon injury. I think that changed their entire game plan on offense. End result probably wouldn't have mattered though.

Disagree about Clemson. OSU destroyed them, no way anyone is buying that Clemson should have been there instead.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

We don’t need no masks or physical distancing in Alabama. Roll Tide!

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:12 pm
Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:01 pm

I grew up rooting for South Carolina b/c all my family are Clemson fans. I've got 3 state teams, The Citadel, CCU and S.Carolina. I probably attended every single home football, basketball and baseball game in the 1990s. I'm still a fan, though I couldn't tell you who is on any teams.
No. When CCU played S.Carolina or when CCU played The Citadel, I always pulled for Coastal. It's not hard. Many people support several teams. :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:21 am No. When CCU played S.Carolina or when CCU played The Citadel, I always pulled for Coastal. It's not hard. Many people support several teams. :thumb:
:nod:

ImageImage
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:21 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:12 pm
No. When CCU played S.Carolina or when CCU played The Citadel, I always pulled for Coastal. It's not hard. Many people support several teams. :thumb:
Agreed. I root for the Blue Hens in most cases, but I'm a fan of all the Big 5 teams in basketball (which means I actually root for nova basketball - not when they play UD of course, but in other times sure). And I'm a Notre Dame fan and a Gonzaga fan (since the Casey Cavalry/Matt Santangelo/Richie Frahm team - I, like most, didn't know they existed before then other than supposedly producing John Stockton).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:05 am

Agreed. I root for the Blue Hens in most cases, but I'm a fan of all the Big 5 teams in basketball (which means I actually root for nova basketball - not when they play UD of course, but in other times sure). And I'm a Notre Dame fan and a Gonzaga fan (since the Casey Cavalry/Matt Santangelo/Richie Frahm team - I, like most, didn't know they existed before then other than supposedly producing John Stockton).
I enjoyed watching St. Johns in the 90s. :thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Wow, referring to all Big 5 teams + Notre Dame and Gonzaga as ‘WE’ must be confusing.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:31 pm

Wow, referring to all Big 5 teams + Notre Dame and Gonzaga as ‘WE’ must be confusing.
FTR, I'm not sure I've ever heard Ganny refer even to the Hens as "we". Think you tried to read too much into that.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

I think everyone has multiple teams they pull for, especially in the college ranks.

For me, I'm Eagles and Ravens for NFL. Flyers and Caps for NHL but think it would be good for hockey to have the Canada teams do well, especially Toronto. Nationals and Orioles for baseball. For college I had Blue Hen football season tix, I currently have Maryland bball season tix and of course we root for UVA in our house too (not much to root for in regards to Mt St Mary's). That's a lot of teams I actively cheer for and spend money on.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:28 pm I think everyone has multiple teams they pull for, especially in the college ranks.

For me, I'm Eagles and Ravens for NFL. Flyers and Caps for NHL but think it would be good for hockey to have the Canada teams do well, especially Toronto. Nationals and Orioles for baseball. For college I had Blue Hen football season tix, I currently have Maryland bball season tix and of course we root for UVA in our house too (not much to root for in regards to Mt St Mary's). That's a lot of teams I actively cheer for and spend money on.
Agreed. Cardinals & Rams in the NFL. Diamondbacks and Dodgers in MLB. Griz & Texas Tech in college football.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:28 pm I think everyone has multiple teams they pull for, especially in the college ranks.

:nod:

Chiefs in the NFL
Blackhawks and Flyers in NHL
Timbers and Fire in MLS
Trailblazers in NBA
UNI in college, Kansas in college basketball, Iowa teams, Oregon
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm