Political discussions
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

THIS IS AMERICA

Post by dal4018 »

I know everyone on this site saw that display of violence on Wednesday in DC and if that were black ppl they would have never been allowed to get that far they would have been stopped long before entering the city.Malcolm X would have been smiling if he saw what the whole word witnessed.
Last edited by dal4018 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: THIS IS AMERICA

Post by Gil Dobie »

Sad and true dal.

BLM protest in DC.
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Except that's the Lincoln Memorial :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:40 am Except that's the Lincoln Memorial :coffee:
Thanks for the info
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:40 am Except that's the Lincoln Memorial :coffee:
They were probably protecting against some black rioter from putting up the confederate flag. It’s an obvious target.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Does not matter Black ppl would have been stopped long before entering the city.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:33 am Sad and true dal.

BLM protest in DC.
Malcolm X would have been smiling if he saw that display of violence.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:02 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:33 am Sad and true dal.

BLM protest in DC.
I’m on your side with this except smiling would not be the appropriate response.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Does not matter Black ppl would have been stopped long before entering the city.
Very true. There were no black people in cities this summer. Was eerily quiet.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

kalm wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:06 am

I’m on your side with this except smiling would not be the appropriate response.
Why not smile it would have shown what he talked about in the '60s when he made that famous statement about CHICKENS!!!!!!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

89Hen wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:11 am

Very true. There were no black people in cities this summer. Was eerily quiet.
They were probably on Twitter making moves.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:19 am
kalm wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:06 am

Why not smile it would have shown what he talked about in the '60s when he made that famous statement about CHICKENS!!!!!!
I don’t know about the chicken statement but smiling because your point was proven through violence is selfish.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Yeah, there were more people shot and killed by the police at the violent BLM protests in DC that week...oh wait a minute..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:22 amI know everyone on this site saw that display of violence on Wednesday in DC and if that were black ppl they would have never been allowed to get that far they would have been stopped long before entering the city.Malcolm X would have been smiling if saw what the whole word witnessed.
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:33 amSad and true dal.
It is sad but true. I live in Portland and It is also sad that the opposite is true here. A liberal person of color is less likely to be charged with a crime for rioting and looting than a conservative white person. Violent protests, rioting, and looting are reprehensible behavior and the perpetrators should be prosecuted regardless of their skin color, gender, or ideology. We should not have double standards or perpetuate stereotypes.

It's been a while since I read Schlesinger's biography but I believe that toward the end of his life Malcolm saw the power in MLK Jr's non-violent approach. I wish more people today understood the message of Gandhi and MLK JR and the power of non-violent protest.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:10 am Yeah, there were more people shot and killed by the police at the violent BLM protests in DC that week...oh wait a minute..
Oh wait a minute, BDK just supported DAl's point that liberal dark-skinned protesters were treated more harshly than conservative white protesters.

Getting into a we did it but they did it worse argument is an immature and anti-American race to the bottom. Violent protests, rioting and looting are wrong regardless of who is doing it or why it's being done.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:19 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:10 am Yeah, there were more people shot and killed by the police at the violent BLM protests in DC that week...oh wait a minute..
Oh wait a minute, BDK just supported DAl's point that liberal dark-skinned protesters were treated more harshly than conservative white protesters.

Getting into a we did it but they did it worse argument is an immature and anti-American race to the bottom. Violent protests, rioting and looting are wrong regardless of who is doing it or why it's being done.
You clearly lack reading comprehension..
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Some people have trouble distinguishing protest from criminal acts.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:52 pm
You're riot. I should have said BLM riots loaded with criminal acts..
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:17 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:52 pm

You're riot. I should have said BLM riots loaded with criminal acts..
Now you get it :thumb:
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

kalm wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:22 am
dal4018 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:19 am
I don’t know about the chicken statement but smiling because your point was proven through violence is selfish.
Those ppl proved what that great man said in the '60s this a country started by violence and now it has returned to where it started.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Trying to violently enter the House chamber? Try again dumb ass. Equating the two sets of protests/riots is a fools game.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:02 pm
Trying to violently enter the House chamber? Try again dumb ass. Equating the two sets of protests/riots is a fools game.
I think there are definite similarities so comparisons are valid. The fools game is trying to justify your side's because the other side did it first/worse. Violent protesting, rioting and looting are wrong no matter who is doing it and why.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:49 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:22 am
Those ppl proved what that great man said in the '60s this a country started by violence and now it has returned to where it started.
At one point in his life did he say that? Would the older, wiser Malcom X agree with that statement?
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:43 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:02 pm

I think there are definite similarities so comparisons are valid. The fools game is trying to justify your side's because the other side did it first/worse. Violent protesting, rioting and looting are wrong no matter who is doing it and why.
I agree as far as violence goes, but you're sitting on the fence a bit too much I fear. The subset of violent protesters in DC was simply out to stop our government representatives from fulfilling their duty. After nearly 250 years of peaceful change. I think that the majority of protesters in both instances were peaceful. But trying to compare the end game of both (more equitable treatment by authorities, or hell free TV's if you like vs attempting to stop succession as outlined by the Constitution) is bullshit.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:06 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:43 pm
I agree as far as violence goes, but you're sitting on the fence a bit too much I fear. The subset of violent protesters in DC was simply out to stop our government representatives from fulfilling their duty. After nearly 250 years of peaceful change. I think that the majority of protesters in both instances were peaceful. But trying to compare the end game of both (more equitable treatment by authorities, or hell free TV's if you like vs attempting to stop succession as outlined by the Constitution) is bullshit.
I don't disagree with you either. I do think how much was allowed during the BLM protests raised the bar for the MAGAts. What happened in DC did not happen in a vacuum. What happened over the summer doesn't excuse what happened in DC but that doesn't mean it wasn't a contributing factor. Placing the blame solely on the right without acknowledging and addressing the ongoing and worsening degradation of civility and desensitization to attacks on government and authority is only going to serve to further anger and isolate people who feel that their government has abandoned them.

We'll see if Democrats truly want reconciliation and healing by how they respond. Calling Republicans Nazis is not a good first step.